PDA

View Full Version : Player managers

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Anyone know much about player managers?

How does all this work? eg What % commission do they generally get, how and when is it paid, what authority do they have versus the player in negotiating with clubs etc?

And once say a 2 year contract is signed, do they do anything for the player until the next round of contract talks? Presume they are also involved in endorsements etc too?

Is it the same deal if they manage a coach?

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Leaches. I was in IT for 15 years and the IT agents are the same.

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Leaches. I was in IT for 15 years and the IT agents are the same.

Same as advertising and marketing ones? Take 20-30%? That's one reason I was asking about what cut the player managers get.

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Same as advertising and marketing ones? Take 20-30%? That's one reason I was asking about what cut the player managers get.

It depends on the players really and what they expect from the player managers.
Some want just about everything done for them including managing their money, some want every dollar they can find with TV, Media and corporate opportunities and some just want representation at contract negotiations etc.
It could range anywhere from 10% to 30%.

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 10:49 PM
It depends on the players really and what they expect from the player managers.
Some want just about everything done for them including managing their money, some want every dollar they can find with TV, Media and corporate opportunities and some just want representation at contract negotiations etc.
It could range anywhere from 10% to 30%.

Thanks.

So say a player is offered an extra $100k a season by another club and the manager is on 25%. Then taking account of that and the top tax rate, medicare levy etc then that contract is worth about $37k extra in the player's hand?

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks.

So say a player is offered an extra $100k a season by another club and the manager is on 25%. Then taking account of that and the top tax rate, medicare levy etc then that contract is worth about $37k extra in the player's hand?

You might be right but I think you will find they tax the guys a bit differently. That's something the managers and their groups can assist with.

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 10:58 PM
You might be right but I think you will find they tax the guys a bit differently. That's something the managers and their groups can assist with.

Yes, good thinking. I'm sure there's a few that there's a few things that can be done.

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Yes, good thinking. I'm sure there's a few that there's a few things that can be done.

Because of the short life span of their careers they can offset the tax with contributions to superannuation and even cars and a few other tricks.
I read somewhere once that there tax is often calculated over a 3 or 4 year period rather than each season and this provides a fair bit of flexibility.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't believe there is that much they can do to avoid tax. Super is difficult although some do pay extra, but that money is still locked away until they are 60.

Packaging their cars is one sensible option and the Bulldogs (I believe) did this for just about all the players with the Leasplan deal.

As for the managers, I would think 15% is an extraordinary amount for them to receive from football contracts and I would expect it to be closer to 5% with additional amounts around negotiations. They may get 15% or even more from media and marketing deals that they can arrange.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't believe there is that much they can do to avoid tax. Super is difficult although some do pay extra, but that money is still locked away until they are 60.

Packaging their cars is one sensible option and the Bulldogs (I believe) did this for just about all the players with the Leasplan deal.

As for the managers, I would think 15% is an extraordinary amount for them to receive from football contracts and I would expect it to be closer to 5% with additional amounts around negotiations. They may get 15% or even more from media and marketing deals that they can arrange.

I think this is about right BJ. The average is around 3% and depending on the player they can negotiate the % rate

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2009, 08:48 AM
About 5-7% on the playing contract and 20% of marketing and endorsements.

aker39
20-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I read somewhere once that there tax is often calculated over a 3 or 4 year period rather than each season and this provides a fair bit of flexibility.

That is correct.