PDA

View Full Version : James Fantasia on radio

AndrewP6
19-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Heard him earlier tonight on radio (I think 3AW), one of them asked him "If Hawthorn rings and offers you Jarryd Roughead for Brian Lake, what would you say?". Fantasia replied "I'd say Brian Lake is not for sale" (interesting given he's coming out of contract!). Quizzed a bit later, and given the option Lake for Cyril Rioli and Roughead, Fantasia seemed to indicate he felt that they could get things done with Lake.

God I hope he's right.

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 11:59 PM
God I hope he's right.

Dont we all!

Dry Rot
20-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Heard him earlier tonight on radio (I think 3AW), one of them asked him "If Hawthorn rings and offers you Jarryd Roughead for Brian Lake, what would you say?". Fantasia replied "I'd say Brian Lake is not for sale" (interesting given he's coming out of contract!). Quizzed a bit later, and given the option Lake for Cyril Rioli and Roughead, Fantasia seemed to indicate he felt that they could get things done with Lake.

God I hope he's right.

Wonder why they were asking that?

Odd trade idea out of the blue.

AndrewP6
20-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Wonder why they were asking that?

Odd trade idea out of the blue.

Apparently earlier in the show, they'd taken a few callers that had heard rumours that the Hawks were keen on him, with King Kong Dew retiring. Don't know if it had any legitimacy, but they asked him...

Dry Rot
20-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Apparently earlier in the show, they'd taken a few callers that had heard rumours that the Hawks were keen on him, with King Kong Dew retiring. Don't know if it had any legitimacy, but they asked him...

Lake is my favorite player, but if he does leave I'd rather get someone like Roughead than the Swan's first round pick.

I can understand why the Hawks would be keen, I just don't get the Roughead bit from their perspective.

AndrewP6
20-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Lake is my favorite player, but if he does leave I'd rather get someone like Roughead than the Swan's first round pick.

I can understand why the Hawks would be keen, I just don't get the Roughead bit from their perspective.

No, it struck me as odd too... maybe just a wild one thrown out there by the announcers?

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2009, 08:14 AM

Hawthorn have used 4 top 6 picks on key forwards in the last 4 years - Roughead, Franklin, Dowler and Thorp.

Perhaps they think one of the two kids will develop into a gun forward and therefore Roughead can be replaced. I can see why they'd rate Lake as their recruiting target no. 1, their backline really needs a bloke like him, I just can't see where they'd get the salary cap relief from, unless they off-loaded someone like Roughead.

soupman
20-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I think it's just coming from the football public saying that a reasonable trade for a gun key defender would be a gun key forward, and Roughead is seen as being more expendable than Franklin.

However, while the football public thinks this would be a reasonable trade, you can bet Hawthorn wouldn't. If Lake was on the market, as a contracted player I reckon they'd offer something like Ben McGlynn and a round 4 draft pick. And considering he is out of contract, they may hang onto McGlynn and just offer us the round 4 pick and a hot dog.

Mantis
20-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I think it's just coming from the football public saying that a reasonable trade for a gun key defender would be a gun key forward, and Roughead is seen as being more expendable than Franklin.

However, while the football public thinks this would be a reasonable trade, you can bet Hawthorn wouldn't. If Lake was on the market, as a contracted player I reckon they'd offer something like Ben McGlynn and a round 4 draft pick. And considering he is out of contract, they may hang onto McGlynn and just offer us the round 4 pick and a hot dog.

So we tell them to get stuffed and let Brian nominate for the PSD so that he can be picked up by one of the powers of the competition like Melb or Freo who should be looking to challenge for a flag in about 2015.

soupman
20-08-2009, 11:44 AM
So we tell them to get stuffed and let Brian nominate for the PSD so that he can be picked up by one of the powers of the competition like Melb or Freo who should be looking to challenge for a flag in about 2015.

Is this a question or a statement?

Basically the point is that Hawthorn haven't come out and said that they'd offer Roughead for Lake, it's just a sourceless rumour that won't eventuate because Hawthorn would have to be the most unreasonable team at the trade table.

Topdog
20-08-2009, 01:15 PM
It makes sense for Hawthorn. They don't really need Roughead and he is a very good forward. Their backline is terrible and Lake would add a heap to their team. Thorp could do a job as a number 3 target for them behind Williams and Buddy.

If we were to lose Lake, getting the rough nut is just about the only thing that would make me not miserable.

Twodogs
20-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Is this a question or a statement?

Basically the point is that Hawthorn haven't come out and said that they'd offer Roughead for Lake, it's just a sourceless rumour that won't eventuate because Hawthorn would have to be the most unreasonable team at the trade table.

Yep. This would make sense to almost everyone in Australia. Everyone except for Chris Pelchan, he will rate Roughy's worth at 16 first round picks as well as two priority picks, our next four F/S selections and exclusive use of the ELC for the next five years.

Dry Rot
20-08-2009, 01:42 PM
It makes sense for Hawthorn. They don't really need Roughead and he is a very good forward. Their backline is terrible and Lake would add a heap to their team. Thorp could do a job as a number 3 target for them behind Williams and Buddy.

If we were to lose Lake, getting the rough nut is just about the only thing that would make me not miserable.

Agree with that. Really hope Lake doesn't go, but getting Roughead is probably the best scenario if he does.

And IIRC from last year's GF, he's a more than handy CHB if required.

Given that Hawthorn are ****s when it comes to trading and we'd probably overvalue any of our players in a trade, objectively what would be a fair Lake-Roughead trade?

Dry Rot
20-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Yep. This would make sense to almost everyone in Australia. Everyone except for Chris Pelchan, he will rate Roughy's worth at 16 first round picks as well as two priority picks, our next four F/S selections and exclusive use of the ELC for the next five years.

Has Croad retired? I wonder if the rabble state of their backline may force some sense into them?

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Lake will stay you can bet your house on it. I am more concerned about Reid and GOK moving on at the end of the year and becoming very good footballers at other clubs. Despite the knock on GOK it dosn't reflect well on our footy club that we haven't been able to sort it out.

bornadog
20-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Has Croad retired? I wonder if the rabble state of their backline may force some sense into them?

I was told at the start of the year the Croad will never play again, due to his injury.

Mofra
20-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Lake will stay you can bet your house on it. I am more concerned about Reid and GOK moving on at the end of the year and becoming very good footballers at other clubs. Despite the knock on GOK it dosn't reflect well on our footy club that we haven't been able to sort it out.
I wish I had your confidence. What is behind your belief that Lake will stay?

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I wish I had your confidence. What is behind your belief that Lake will stay?

He is too valuable to let go, the dogs will get the deal done

Twodogs
20-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Their backline is pretty bad.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Roughead is one of their most important players. I doubt it'd be logical for them to trade Roughy. He's a gun KPF and when they are up and running, the duo of Roughy/Franklin is the best in the comp by a country mile. Not many sides have a two star KPF attack. They'll trouble sides for the next 8+ years.

Plus, Roughead can play CHB and has often given the Hawks stints in the ruck.

He may not be their best player, but he's probably their second or third most important IMO.

From a Bulldogs perspective, a Roughead/Lake trade would be fair.

Remi Moses
20-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Getting tired of the constant Lake contract talk,he's one of MANY uncontracted players managers are testing the waters out. SEN is just on 24 hour Lake talk It's becoming tedious :mad:

bold-dogg
20-08-2009, 11:26 PM

$. We can't afford to lose Brian Lake, which probably means we can't afford to keep
Reid and GOK. It's just a guess, but I suspect we've got salary cap issues because we've got a mature team - a lot of players on senior salaries. Hope I'm wrong, but we might have to cut into the list deeper than is desirable. I'm with you, I really hope we keep those two players, too.

mjp
21-08-2009, 12:55 AM

More concerned about two kids who haven't done a thing than the best full-back at the club in my lifetime?

Wow.

If Lake is offered enough money he will leave...he didn't want to extend at the end of last year for a reason - he wanted to play and boost his market value. He has done that (and then some). He will be one of (if not the) most sought after out of contract player during the trade period.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I hope that Lake does not go. he makes such a big difference to our side. Pay the man I say.

I am concern that contract talks with the club and Lake has been deferred to he end of the season. Lets sign the players before the finals to have club synergy, and win the next flag.

Mantis
21-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I hope that Lake does not go. he makes such a big difference to our side. Pay the man I say.

I am concern that contract talks with the club and Lake has been deferred to he end of the season. Lets sign the players before the finals to have club synergy, and win the next flag.

We don't have any room in our salary cap to pay him more.

If it comes down to a $'s issue Lake will leave.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Who says Ried is going and without playing a game yet how can you say GOK is a very good footballer?
He is hardly the first footballer to be delisted/traded without playing a senior game.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Who says Ried is going and without playing a game yet how can you say GOK is a very good footballer?
He is hardly the first footballer to be delisted/traded without playing a senior game.

I said that I am more worried about Reid and GOK going THEN becoming good footballers at rival clubs not that they are good footballers now. I am not worried about losing Lake because I don't think he will go.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I said that I am more worried about Reid and GOK going THEN becoming good footballers at rival clubs not that they are good footballers now. I am not worried about losing Lake because I don't think he will go.

Well who says Ried is going then and what makes you believe GOK will become a very good footballer?

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Well who says Ried is going then and what makes you believe GOK will become a very good footballer?

I didn't say Reid was going, I said I was worried about Reid going (I don't believe he is contracted for next year), in terms of GOK the point is we don't know if he will be a good footballer at AFL level because we haven't given him a go. What we do know is that GOK is better than most at VFL level.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Lake wont leave - he will stay true to the Dogs and will get a good pay increase that he deserves. The media is beating this up and his manager is also doing a good job to ensure that he does get the good pay increase that he deserves...

Twodogs
21-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I am not worried about losing Lake because I don't think he will go.

I wish I had your confidence...

Sedat
21-08-2009, 01:46 PM
More concerned about two kids who haven't done a thing than the best full-back at the club in my lifetime?
Surely he's no. 2 behind Paul Gow :D

Topdog
21-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Roughead is one of their most important players. I doubt it'd be logical for them to trade Roughy. He's a gun KPF and when they are up and running, the duo of Roughy/Franklin is the best in the comp by a country mile. Not many sides have a two star KPF attack. They'll trouble sides for the next 8+ years.

Plus, Roughead can play CHB and has often given the Hawks stints in the ruck.

He may not be their best player, but he's probably their second or third most important IMO.

From a Bulldogs perspective, a Roughead/Lake trade would be fair.

Lake is our most important player. Lake can also play in the forward line.

Lake would improve their defense by a mile. He is at least twice the player of any other backman they have.

From a Hawks perspective, knowing that you can't get guns for nothing from anyone other than Fremantle, it would be fair.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Wow.

If Lake is offered enough money he will leave...he didn't want to extend at the end of last year for a reason - he wanted to play and boost his market value. He has done that (and then some). He will be one of (if not the) most sought after out of contract player during the trade period.

If Lake goes purely for money then we will be well compensated. Personally I can't fathom the club letting him move (and therefore I haven't worried about it happening).

Desipura
21-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Im confident Lake will sign for 3 years with his contract heavily weighted for him to earn a large portion in the 3rd year of his contract. By that time he will qualify to be on the veterans list with only 50% of it under the TPP

Topdog
22-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Possibly Desi, but Gilbee and the rest of 99 will be in the same boat.

Desipura
22-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Possibly Desi, but Gilbee and the rest of 99 will be in the same boat.
True however there are fewer quality fullbacks in this competition.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Surely he's no. 2 behind Paul Gow :D

:) I was going to use the same joke.