PDA

View Full Version : Tigers eye Darwin games

The Coon Dog
20-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Tigers eye Darwin games (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-eye-darwin-games/2009/08/19/1250362118829.html)

Caroline Wilson | August 20, 2009

RICHMOND has emerged as the wildcard in the AFL's foray into the Northern Territory with the Tigers confident they will contest a home game next season in Darwin.

Club president Gary March confirmed yesterday that Richmond had requested two home games over the next three years in Darwin in a three-way agreement with the AFL and the NT Government that could reap the Tigers $1 million.

The Tigers have included a bid in their 2010 fixture request to play Port Adelaide in Darwin during the middle of next season over the bye fortnight in a bid to hold a community camp in the Northern Territory and continue to develop the club's indigenous links.

The Western Bulldogs have also requested a home game in Darwin but rejected Canberra as a home venue for 2010, instead requesting a home game to be played at Geelong's Skilled Stadium.

Rest of article... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-eye-darwin-games/2009/08/19/1250362118829.html)

* Bloody hell, if we, Melb & Rich all host Port Adelaide, who benefits from this the most?

Remi Moses
20-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Find your own Interstate venue Rabblemond:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sedat
20-08-2009, 11:27 AM
This has been one of the few balls-ups from our current administration. By stating 12 months ago for the public record that we wanted to cease the future selling of home games interstate, we opened up the door for other clubs to exploit our hard-won gains in Darwin. There is now virtually no point playing any of our matches up there if 3 other clubs are trying to muscle into a market that we cultivated - how can 4 clubs share a market the size of 100,000 people is beyond me :rolleyes:

Since the first Darwin deal was inked back in 2004, several posters here suggested (on BF at the time) that we needed to make a genuine future home away from home by playing 2 H&A games a season up at Darwin and ditching our Sydney 'home' game in the process (sorry DR and other Sydney-based posters, but that was only ever a cash grab and ultimately cost us a finals berth in 2005). Unfortunately the AFL in their wisdom didn't see fit to grant this request, and our comments about culling interstate home matches last year have now hurt us.

We had our own home away from home that had become a fortress on-field and a financial windfall off-field, and we have now seriously endangered and compromised this financial and on-field advantage for the future. Disappointing to say the least.

Dancin' Douggy
20-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Ooh those %#$@& Tigers.
They are pathetic.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 01:33 PM
This has been one of the few balls-ups from our current administration. By stating 12 months ago for the public record that we wanted to cease the future selling of home games interstate, we opened up the door for other clubs to exploit our hard-won gains in Darwin. There is now virtually no point playing any of our matches up there if 3 other clubs are trying to muscle into a market that we cultivated - how can 4 clubs share a market the size of 100,000 people is beyond me :rolleyes:

Since the first Darwin deal was inked back in 2004, several posters here suggested (on BF at the time) that we needed to make a genuine future home away from home by playing 2 H&A games a season up at Darwin and ditching our Sydney 'home' game in the process (sorry DR and other Sydney-based posters, but that was only ever a cash grab and ultimately cost us a finals berth in 2005). Unfortunately the AFL in their wisdom didn't see fit to grant this request, and our comments about culling interstate home matches last year have now hurt us.

We had our own home away from home that had become a fortress on-field and a financial windfall off-field, and we have now seriously endangered and compromised this financial and on-field advantage for the future. Disappointing to say the least.

I always thought that 2 games in Darwin would be best for us if we have to sell home games, Sydney was a joke, Canberra not much better. But yes, the AFL stuffed that up for us.

I wonder if they will make us play Geelong in our "home" game at Skilled Stadium? Wouldn't surprise me. :mad:

The Coon Dog
20-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I wonder if they will make us play Geelong in our "home" game at Skilled Stadium? Wouldn't surprise me. :mad:

I could imagine our Football Department being aghast at such a proposition, not so our Administration (ka-ching!!!!).

Sedat
20-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I always thought that 2 games in Darwin would be best for us if we have to sell home games, Sydney was a joke, Canberra not much better. But yes, the AFL stuffed that up for us.
The AFL might have prevented us from having 2 home games in Darwin back in 2004, but our comments 12 months ago contributed to the other clubs now muscling in on Darwin and potentially hijacking the market we spent 5 years developing - and for that we only have ourselves to blame.

Prince Imperial
20-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I seem to remember some comment by Smorgo that we would "take the money and run" from our home interstate games - this would not have helped win us 2 games in Darwin and Melb/Port have stepped in in our place.

Richmond does have the benefit of establishing an indigenous football academy at Punt Rd which would make them attractive in the NT. However, the AFL will have to carefully balance that they stand to make about $1.2m extra per year from the new MCG deal whilst we will be continued to be rooted at Docklands - we need the money much more than them.

chef
20-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I would prefer us not to go to Darwin anyway.

Happy Days
20-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Big surprise who penned this article...

Happy Days
20-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I would prefer us not to go to Darwin anyway.

Why?

Aside from the 2004 debacle, we've performed very, very well up there, and we are tapping into a previously untouched market. Seems like an obvious decision to make to stay there, both on and off the field.

chef
20-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Why?

Aside from the 2004 debacle, we've performed very, very well up there, and we are tapping into a previously untouched market. Seems like an obvious decision to make to stay there, both on and off the field.

I don't like the extra travel and playing in high levels of humidity.

Even though i know it's never going to happen, i would prefer us to play our home games against interstate sides at Kardinia Park.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2009, 05:14 AM

The AFL have straight out refused to allow clubs to sell home games in established markets. This one will not fly.

Bulldog Revolution
21-08-2009, 08:35 AM
More journalistic integrity with Caro

The Pie Man
21-08-2009, 08:35 AM
The AFL have straight out refused to allow clubs to sell home games in established markets. This one will not fly.

Forgive me if I'm a broken record on this, but I just don't get the AFL's stance on that - or more how it's referred to 'selling' a home game.

Say we play Freo down there - what's the difference between that and us playing Freo at Optus Oval in the late 90's?

I'd also like to think that since we asked, there'd be some chance..as in I imagine there's been some dialogue on the issue - would seem silly if we've been told no after all negotiation to still request it.