PDA

View Full Version : Round 21 Team. Gia In!

G-Mo77
20-08-2009, 06:08 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v GEELONG
Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dylan Addison}
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Nathan Eagleton
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Robert Murphy
F: Jason Akermanis, Will Minson, Scott Welsh
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins
I/C: Daniel Giansiracusa, Josh Hill, Sam Reid, Callan Ward
Emg: Andrejs Everitt, Brennan Stack, Easton Wood

In: Giansiracusa, Higgins
Out: Tom Williams (foot), Easton Wood

bornadog
20-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Geelong

B: Darren Milburn, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright
HB: David Johnson, Harry Taylor, Andrew Mackie
C: Joel Corey, Cameron Ling, Jimmy Bartel
HF: Paul Chapman, Cameron Mooney, Max Rooke
F: Mathew Stokes, Tom Hawkins, Shannon Byrnes
Foll: Shane Mumford, Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett
I/C: Tom Gillies, Ryan Gamble, David Wojcinski, Mark Blake
Emg: Kane Tenace, Tom Lonergan, Simon Hogan

In: Chapman, Rooke, Wojcinski, Milburn, Gamble
Out: Steve Johnson (hip), Tom Harley (knee), Travis Varcoe (shoulder), Simon Hogan, Tom Lonergan

bornadog
20-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Match ups will now be interesting with Steve Johnson out. Longergan out becasue they don't have a match up.

Great to see Gia back.

G-Mo77
20-08-2009, 06:13 PM
It just shows how badly we need this game. They said that Gia will be playing VFL weeks ago and seemed prett adament about it. If we won that game against the Eagles I'm pretty sure they would hold him out another week.

bulldogsman
20-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Match ups will now be interesting with Steve Johnson out. Longergan out becasue they don't have a match up.

Great to see Gia back.

Hargrave on Gamble?

bornadog
20-08-2009, 06:19 PM
It just shows how badly we need this game. They said that Gia will be playing VFL weeks ago and seemed prett adament about it. If we won that game against the Eagles I'm pretty sure they would hold him out another week.

So you don't think there will be a late change?

G-Mo77
20-08-2009, 06:21 PM

I wouldn't think so.

Who would come in for him out of thse 3 if he did pull out late?

Dry Rot
20-08-2009, 06:23 PM

My thinking too. Wood for Gia

Rocco Jones
20-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I think Gia will play. He seems to be at least ready for Willy and if he pulls out tomorrow night he won't be able to play for Willy without us paying a fine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't think so.

Who would come in for him out of thse 3 if he did pull out late?

I'm thinking our defensive options look light on, perhaps Everitt could come in?

The Pie Man
20-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm thinking our defensive options look light on, perhaps Everitt could come in?

If there was a late change, that's where I think it would go as well. Only if there's a late change

GVGjr
20-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I really give us a good chance in winning this. Given the look of the Cats forward line it's a shame that Tim Callan isn't playing as I think he could have matched up well against a few of their players.

bornadog
20-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Interesting both teams have players coming back from injury.

The Pie Man
20-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I really give us a good chance in winning this. Given the look of the Cats forward line it's a shame that Tim Callan isn't playing as I think he could have matched up well against a few of their players.

I've got a good feeling about this one too - and when I look at their midfield and see we have Cross & Griffen out, I'm not sure why the positive outlook remains, but it does. I can see Reid winning a heap of it tomorrow night.

Media wise, there will be some questions asked of the loser (unless it's under a kick again)

Mantis
20-08-2009, 06:47 PM

I think it shows that Addison is seen as a better option than Tim, but there will no doubt be pressure on him to perfrom his duties well.

anfo27
20-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Would like to have seen Callan get a game. Who gets Rooke or Gamble? I think we're short a defender.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I think it shows that Addison is seen as a better option than Tim, but there will no doubt be pressure on him to perfrom his duties well.

Seems that way. Callan has also only had 1 week back from injury. I would have liked to see at least one of Callan or Tiller in the 22, I think we are a tad light on for defensive options. I guess it was an extra defensive option vs Sam Reid and I can definitely understand wanting to give Reid another game.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Gooood news! Hope Gia is all ready to go..

With those 2 in, it makes the ins/outs quite close with no real advantage. We lose Tommy & young Easton..their main loss is Harley, Stevie J was never going to be damaging with his current injury.

comrade
20-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Steve Johnson is a massive out for them and helps our defensive match ups no end. Unfortunately, we're light on in the midfield but our forward line looks much more potent with Higgins and Gia back.

If we only had one of Griff or Cross back I’d be super confident of a win. With them both out, it’s line ball.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2009, 06:54 PM
their main loss is Harley, Stevie J was never going to be damaging with his current injury.

You could have said the same thing about Harley imo. I think he has struggled since coming back from injury (all season really).

I think Stevie J was never going to near his normal damaging self but I still think he would have added a fair bit of value to their side. He had a decent game matched up against Craig Bolton last week despite being clearly hampered.

comrade
20-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I think Stevie J was never going to near his normal damaging self but I still think he would have added a fair bit of value to their side. He is a very good player even when underdone.

He may not have torn us up as he did in Round 9, but you still need to put a good defender on him, regardless of his fitness. We would've been really stretched if he was playing, particularly with Chapman back.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 06:57 PM
If we only had one of Griff or Cross back I’d be super confident of a win. With them both out, it’s line ball.

Totally agree Comrade - I wish I could be super confident, but it's going to be line ball. Chapman back for the cats worries me - he usually is very damaging against us (and I can't stand him!)

Rocco Jones
20-08-2009, 06:58 PM
He may not have torn us up as he did in Round 9, but you still need to put a good defender on him, regardless of his fitness. We would've been really stretched if he was playing, particularly with Chapman back.

I really need to stop editing my posts so much. Craig Bolton went to him last week and Stevie J still managed a decent game. It's great to have Shaggy freed up and gives us more freedom in finding a match up for Chapman.

Bulldog Revolution
20-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Stokes is someone who has been slippery for us, and hurt Harbrow overhead in the early season matchup

Were you also thinking he was an option on Chappy or Byrnes?

Are you thinking Gia will actually play?

Rocco Jones
20-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I think Shaggy needs to take Chappy.

It seems like it will come down to Harbrow/Addison vs Byrnes/Stokes. When thinking of the right match up for Harbrow, we also need to consider who is leftover for Addison.

GVGjr
20-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Stokes is someone who has been slippery for us, and hurt Harbrow overhead in the early season matchup

Were you also thinking he was an option on Chappy or Byrnes?

Are you thinking Gia will actually play?

I'd be surprised if Gia plays and I guess I was more impressed with the amount of outs the Cats had. We have a great chance to shut down their forward line. I'd try Gilbee on Byrnes and Addison on Chapman.

comrade
20-08-2009, 07:21 PM

It seems like it will come down to Harbrow/Addison vs Byrnes/Stokes. When thinking of the right match up for Harbrow, we also need to consider who is leftover for Addison.

Physically, Addison is the better match up for Stokes, but is he agile enough?

anfo27
20-08-2009, 07:23 PM

What if Byrnes goes to the pine & Gamble plays in the 50? Harbrow will get Stokes & Geelong will be happy with that, i won't.:(

Happy Days
20-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Great to see Gia back in, but I don't think he'll be thrown into the fire straight away, especially after such a long lay-off. Me thinks we'll cop the fine, and play Gia at Williamstown.

As for who would come in, we're lighter on in the midfield than we are defensively. Wood looms as the probable inclusion.

That being said, Gia could still take the field.

Scorlibo
20-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Interesting to see Higgo thrown straight into the midfield.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Interesting to see Higgo thrown straight into the midfield.

You'd imagine he'd only play around 70% game time and rotate forward a bit too. He needs to be carefully managed given he's had the groin issues as well.

Looks like a fairly strong side.

mighty_west
20-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Stacky might even be half a chance if Gia doesn't come up being a small forward.

Good to see Reid get another chance, although he went off late in the game last week, the way he was walking could very well have been groin issues.

Mantis
20-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I think Gia will play. He is a quick healer and as per the 'ins & outs thread' a 75% fit Gia is a better option than one of our young guys.

Seem a little short on depth in defence so a big job for the likes of Addison & Hargrave.

Drunken Bum
20-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Great to see Gia back in, but I don't think he'll be thrown into the fire straight away, especially after such a long lay-off. Me thinks we'll cop the fine, and play Gia at Williamstown.

I have to say i would be absolutely stunned and pretty pissed if that occurred considering there is a possibility we could lose Lake and/or Aker next year seeing as we cannot afford to pay an extra $250k for marketing/promotional work outside of the salary cap. We as a club simply cannot afford to piss away money for the sake of playing mind games at the selection table.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I have to say i would be absolutely stunned and pretty pissed if that occurred considering there is a possibility we could lose Lake and/or Aker next year seeing as we cannot afford to pay an extra $250k for marketing/promotional work outside of the salary cap. We as a club simply cannot afford to piss away money for the sake of playing mind games at the selection table.

Agreed.

But I'm certain we wouldn't be that stupid. At this point in time, the club realises that Gia is probably touch and go. We're better off giving him 60-75% of game time this week v Geelong rather than play him at Williamstown. With only two weeks before finals, Gia needs a smuch exposure as possible. It's too late trying to be conservative about it.

Plus, Gia > Wood at 80-90% fit.

Can't see any reason why he wouldn't play so long as he's OK.

Mantis
21-08-2009, 11:17 AM
But I'm certain we wouldn't be that stupid. At this point in time, the club realises that Gia is probably touch and go. We're better off giving him 60-75% of game time this week v Geelong rather than play him at Williamstown. With only two weeks before finals, Gia needs a smuch exposure as possible. It's too late trying to be conservative about it.

Plus, Gia > Wood at 80-90% fit.

Can't see any reason why he wouldn't play so long as he's OK.

Correct.

Gia will play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Correct.

Gia will play.

He may do so, but he's been out for nigh on 2 months, can we afford to be so cute and bring a player in, against top opposition nonetheless, when he's likely to only be two thirds fit?

I know perhaps the thought is perhaps we can manage his game time from the bench, but what happens if we have an injury on the field, and are then effectively two rotations down?

I just think it's very risky, especially given we really need to win against Geelong and Collingwood both to ensure top 4 in addition to confidence going into the finals. I know Gia is a vital player, but I think you need to pick fit players first and foremost.

I don't readily see who are our options should we need to change up our defensive unit during the evening. I think Everitt gives us more options, both attacking and defensive wise.

I'm surprised Callan hasn't been named amongst the emergencies too.

bornadog
21-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Rooke may be a late withdrawal

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Got my doubts on Gia, still he must get game time prior to the finals. A must win for us, considering the form of Geelong, I think we will be on tonight!

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 08:03 PM
No change to either side

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Despite my trepidation about his selection tonight, I hope Guido makes an idiot of me and makes a solid contribution towards a dogs victory!

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Despite my trepidation about his selection tonight, I hope Guido makes an idiot of me and makes a solid contribution towards a dogs victory!

He did exactly that

Stuck some super tackles tonight

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 12:39 AM
He recovers from injuries REALLY well!
Almost didnt play this year i think coz he almost did an ACL!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 12:44 AM
He did exactly that

Stuck some super tackles tonight

Fantastic bonus for us to get the 4 points and successfully get some match time into Guido.
A real credit to his preparation, determination and leadership.
Will only get better each week.

He becomes super important next week, and I'm glad he made a mockery of my trepidation over his inclusion tonight.

angelopetraglia
22-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Gia was fantastic.

He is field kicking under pressure enormous.

Prince Imperial
22-08-2009, 01:03 AM
He was really struggling to raise a gallop in the last quarter. Hardly surprising though given 8 weeks out - he will be a lot better for the run to continue the racing parlance.

Max469
22-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Gia was great considering where he has been and come back from.

Go Gia and welcome back.

Sorry much for the tool on the radio after the game, asking why Gia was in the team now and before he got injured, as he was no good.

What a tool.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 11:00 AM
23 touches. Good game back from Daniel.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Very happy he was able to come back in and contribute, good call from the selectors