PDA

View Full Version : Our opponents this week: Hawthorn

Dry Rot
22-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Anyone see their gripping win vs the Cats? How do match up against them?

GVGjr
22-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone see their gripping win vs the Cats? How do match up against them?

The are very good in contested positions and have a challenging forward line to counter.
Their skill level can hurt them in a big way though.

dog town
22-04-2007, 07:18 PM
They will fancy themselves against us. They will get numbers behind the ball and put alot of pressure on us trying to come forward. They are pretty good in close and are starting to put together a very dangerous team when they are on song. They run in numbers through the middle with lots of handball and have good targets in Williams , Franklin , Boyle and co. Not sure what the go is with Croad and whether he will be back. Hope to god we dont take them lightly because we will get touched up if we do.

GVGjr
22-04-2007, 07:28 PM
They will fancy themselves against us. They will get numbers behind the ball and put alot of pressure on us trying to come forward. They are pretty good in close and are starting to put together a very dangerous team when they are on song. They run in numbers through the middle with lots of handball and have good targets in Williams , Franklin , Boyle and co. Not sure what the go is with Croad and whether he will be back. Hope to god we dont take them lightly because we will get touched up if we do.

The thing is about the Hawks you can be 4 goals up on them in the last quarter and they score so quickly it is never really safe for us. I don't like the style they play but it can be effective against us.

Who would you consider matching up on Franklin, Roughead and Williams DT?

Bulldog Revolution
22-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I watched them in the opening round and was pretty impressed, they have many hard working foot soldiers, a lot of who are underrated (Sewell, McGlynn, Boyle) and some developing young runners and obviously they have an enormous number of left footers in Franklin, Guerra, Dixon, Young, Lewis, Hodge

I think we should have a touch too much midfield class and depth for them, but that said we are missing a few and they will certainly give it a great crack and fancy their chances

I know Harris has played on Williams before but I wonder if that would again be the case or Morris, - Roughead would seem to be a TWilliams, or CWight prospect and Franklin maybe a Hargraves matchup, although again Morris might be an option there.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I think after their game today, they'll be tired and we'll expose them for pace and skill. Lance Franklin, Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge are the 3 players that I think we really need to look out for.

Would Morris go to Williams do you think?

I'd like to see Tommy Gun play again, and hopefully Akermanis will be ready to go too.

GVGjr
22-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I think after their game today, they'll be tired and we'll expose them for pace and skill. Lance Franklin, Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge are the 3 players that I think we really need to look out for.

Would Morris go to Williams do you think?

I'd like to see Tommy Gun play again, and hopefully Akermanis will be ready to go too.

I think Morris is an ideal match-up for Mark Williams.
Would Tom Williams or cam Wight be good candidates for Franklin?

This would leave Harris for Roughhead

Go_Dogs
22-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Either or I think, depends on how big an influence Lance is having. Wight being a bit more experienced would be a good option, could run with him well and possibly gain a bit of height advantage. Williams v Franklin would be very exciting though, and if Williams play I'd expect that at some stage he'd find himself on Franklin.

It's so good to be wondering which one of our 3 key defenders will play on who.

Dry Rot
22-04-2007, 10:45 PM
how does the Hawks backline line up these days?

Bulldog Revolution
23-04-2007, 11:18 AM
how does the Hawks backline line up these days?

I think they are vulnerable,

Guerra is not that quick, Jacobs has started the season in good touch but is not tall, and Darcy is a difficult matchup for them,

Campbell Brown often matches up on Matt Robbins. Will they be thinking Sewell on Johnson, or Sewell on West?

We need to apply the same levels of pressure we did to Richmond, because Hawthorn set up a lot of their play from half back.

Bulldog Revolution
23-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I think Morris is an ideal match-up for Mark Williams.
Would Tom Williams or cam Wight be good candidates for Franklin?

This would leave Harris for Roughhead

Harris on Roughhead would work well AND maybe Cam Wight on Franklin,
but as Franklin gets more of his goals roving and roaming around I'd thought maybe Hargraves, but maybe Hargraves on a Dixon/Boyle type. I guess there is also the chance they will push Croad forward.

I expect T-Williams to stay in the team, although it was a quiet debut. Roughhead, Boyle could be potential matchups for him.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Williams gave Harris a touch up last year with 6. Roughhead spent a bit of time forward yesterday, but mainly they use Williams, Franklin and Boyle.

Morris - Williams
Hargrave - Franklin
Wight - Boyle

No real matchup for Harris unless Roughhead plays forward and he might be needed in defense on Darcy. Maybe this is the week for Harris to go forward?

Ling shut down Mitchell but Thompson let Hodge run free across halfback. I'd rather do it the other way around, Boyd could go head-to-head with Mitchell but I'd rather someone lock down Hodge. I'd love to see Robbo do it but he tends to ball watch. If Robbo got only half a dozen touches himself and chipped in with a goal or two but shut down Hodge, that would be a massive win for us.

bornadog
23-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Williams gave Harris a touch up last year with 6. Roughhead spent a bit of time forward yesterday, but mainly they use Williams, Franklin and Boyle.

Morris - Williams
Hargrave - Franklin
Wight - Boyle

No real matchup for Harris unless Roughhead plays forward and he might be needed in defense on Darcy. Maybe this is the week for Harris to go forward?

Ling shut down Mitchell but Thompson let Hodge run free across halfback. I'd rather do it the other way around, Boyd could go head-to-head with Mitchell but I'd rather someone lock down Hodge. I'd love to see Robbo do it but he tends to ball watch. If Robbo got only half a dozen touches himself and chipped in with a goal or two but shut down Hodge, that would be a massive win for us.

Why not Harris on Franklin and let Hargrave go up the ground?

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Why not Harris on Franklin and let Hargrave go up the ground?

I reckon if Harris had to chase Franklin around he'd be stuffed by 1/4 time.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Agreed SS. For me, I'd like to see one of our kids take Buddy. Wight followed by Williams to have a crack if needed.

dog town
25-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Morris is the only guy that I would feel comfortable with playing on Williams. Williams is stronger in the body than he looks and Morris has the competitiveness and closing speed to go with him. The cats played Mackie on Franklin who doesn't have alot of presence but importantly went with Franklin on the lead and around the ground. I reckon Hargrave is probably the best option for him or Harris mainly because unless Roughhead plays up forward then he has no obvious match up. Hargrave would make him accountable and can go with him around the ground. Probably gives away a little bit in the air but I think he is the best option. Boyle is the best match up for Wight I would say. Boyle is actually a pretty good young player and will be a good test for Wight. Dixon will be floating around up their somewhere and will be picked up whoever is the left over from the match ups. Harris might even get him if no other match ups pop up same for Hargy.

They like to play Hodge loose in defence which I think Eade will allow because it lets us do the same. Just for the record I think playing Hodge in that role is a massive waste of his talents. Most of the run from behind is generated from Hodge , Guerra , Young , Ladson and those types. Jacobs will try and zone off and take alot of marks dropping in front of our forwards and does it well if we blaze. They will probably play Sewell or Brown on Johnson.

The hawks get alot of numbers behind the ball including big Taylor the ruckmen. It will be a good test to see how we go with breaking this down as we were horrible against it in rounds 2 and 3. I also think the hawks are an underrated tackling side. I have seen them train and they work really hard on their in close skills. Alot of their kids are ferocious and lead by Sammy Mitchell they always have a dip. Guys like McGlynn , Sewell , Lewis and Birchall are really improving and it will be good to see if our kids can match their workrate. Crawford and Bateman sort of play the wingmen role for them. Crawford gets most of his touches out wide now and rarely plays in the centre square these days. If Sewell doesn't play on Johnson he may end up with Cooney or even West.

I just think this could show just how hard we are willing to work because the hawks will be hunting us. We really need to start beating sides for the contested ball and this week is a good place to start against a pretty good clearance team. Need alot from Boyd , West and Cross (?) around the stoppages. We want to get the ball away from traffic and in space because the hawks would prefer a scrap. Griffen is due for a big one and the hawks didn't have much of an answer for his run last year. Mcmahon and Eagleton also ran them ragged last time we played them.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I've just read that Williams is out for 10 weeks apparently. Good news for us.

bornadog
26-04-2007, 12:38 PM

Haven't seen anything official, only whats on other forums (BF), yes makes it a little easier for us.

bornadog
26-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Confirmed by Hawthorn on SEN, out 4 to 6 weeks at least

Dry Rot
27-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Are Croad and Jacobs injured? Who are their key defenders then?

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Are Croad and Jacobs injured? Who are their key defenders then?

Stephen Gilham, about 192cm but really skinny. Has played about 10 games.
Jarrod Roughhead might play back.
Joel Smith has played CHB for them before but he's really a flanker.
Campbell Brown plays taller than his height as well.
The ruckman, Robert Campbell, has played back for them before.

Dry Rot
27-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks - their back half (accounting for injuries) doesn't look flash.

Dunno that a wet ground (is that still the forecast?) favours us.

bornadog
27-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks - their back half (accounting for injuries) doesn't look flash.

Dunno that a wet ground (is that still the forecast?) favours us.

The forecast is for a wet day. Just heard Eade on SEN that team will be adjusted to suit the wet weather. I suspect this means Williams will be dropped.

GVGjr
27-04-2007, 03:09 PM
The forecast is for a wet day. Just heard Eade on SEN that team will be adjusted to suit the wet weather. I suspect this means Williams will be dropped.

I guess so. I think it might also mean that Robbins would be safe. Williams and Harbrow out with Cross and Akermanis in.

Raw Toast
27-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Morris is the only guy that I would feel comfortable with playing on Williams. Williams is stronger in the body than he looks and Morris has the competitiveness and closing speed to go with him. The cats played Mackie on Franklin who doesn't have alot of presence but importantly went with Franklin on the lead and around the ground. I reckon Hargrave is probably the best option for him or Harris mainly because unless Roughhead plays up forward then he has no obvious match up. Hargrave would make him accountable and can go with him around the ground. Probably gives away a little bit in the air but I think he is the best option. Boyle is the best match up for Wight I would say. Boyle is actually a pretty good young player and will be a good test for Wight. Dixon will be floating around up their somewhere and will be picked up whoever is the left over from the match ups. Harris might even get him if no other match ups pop up same for Hargy.

They like to play Hodge loose in defence which I think Eade will allow because it lets us do the same. Just for the record I think playing Hodge in that role is a massive waste of his talents. Most of the run from behind is generated from Hodge , Guerra , Young , Ladson and those types. Jacobs will try and zone off and take alot of marks dropping in front of our forwards and does it well if we blaze. They will probably play Sewell or Brown on Johnson.

The hawks get alot of numbers behind the ball including big Taylor the ruckmen. It will be a good test to see how we go with breaking this down as we were horrible against it in rounds 2 and 3. I also think the hawks are an underrated tackling side. I have seen them train and they work really hard on their in close skills. Alot of their kids are ferocious and lead by Sammy Mitchell they always have a dip. Guys like McGlynn , Sewell , Lewis and Birchall are really improving and it will be good to see if our kids can match their workrate. Crawford and Bateman sort of play the wingmen role for them. Crawford gets most of his touches out wide now and rarely plays in the centre square these days. If Sewell doesn't play on Johnson he may end up with Cooney or even West.

I just think this could show just how hard we are willing to work because the hawks will be hunting us. We really need to start beating sides for the contested ball and this week is a good place to start against a pretty good clearance team. Need alot from Boyd , West and Cross (?) around the stoppages. We want to get the ball away from traffic and in space because the hawks would prefer a scrap. Griffen is due for a big one and the hawks didn't have much of an answer for his run last year. Mcmahon and Eagleton also ran them ragged last time we played them.

Great preview dt. Their late omissions all seem good for us, but you'd hope we don't use that as an excuse to lower our intensity again or it could be embarrasing.

Didn't see last year's game but seemed that we had quite a few name players down and it took Griffen and Higgins to fire us up. I wouldn't mind seeing Griffen on Franklin if he is fit enough - Griffen beat him hands down for a contested ball last time, and can hurt Franklin going the other way.

Be interesting to see how Darcy goes if the conditions are as wet as predicted. He should be able to out-body his opponent/s (unless perhaps they have Campbell on him, but they probably need him rucking), but the greasy conditions might mean he struggles to mark the ball. Still, if we can isolate him, he showed last week that he's starting to recover quicker from contests and he might be able to get the ball to fall to advantage (his or another crumber's).

If the conditions are dry-ish I wouldn't mind seeing Harris spend a bit of time at chf but not sure if he'll be able to do much in the wet.

Minson should enjoy bustling away in greasy conditions. In a way having at least one, possibly more tall options up forward might be helpful, as wet conditions mean we need to concentrate on just getting the ball forward, rather than precise delivery. One of the best signs last week was our willingness to kick long to Darcy when the precise pass was not on.

Raw Toast
27-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I guess so. I think it might also mean that Robbins would be safe. Williams and Harbrow out with Cross and Akermanis in.

What's Robbins' record like in the wet GVGjr? While he's got a bigger body than Harbrow, the conditions sound like they will suit crumbing forwards more than leading options. Robbins did do a bit of crumbing last week and would be stiff to miss out but I don't reckon he is safe for this game yet. Personally I'd still have Harbrow ahead of him but perhaps the conditions really mean Robbins should play instead.

GVGjr
27-04-2007, 09:01 PM
What's Robbins' record like in the wet GVGjr? While he's got a bigger body than Harbrow, the conditions sound like they will suit crumbing forwards more than leading options. Robbins did do a bit of crumbing last week and would be stiff to miss out but I don't reckon he is safe for this game yet. Personally I'd still have Harbrow ahead of him but perhaps the conditions really mean Robbins should play instead.

Not really sure but the stronger body and legs might put him ahead of Harbrow. You might be onto something about the crumbing forwards though.

dog town
27-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Be interesting to see how Darcy goes if the conditions are as wet as predicted. He should be able to out-body his opponent/s (unless perhaps they have Campbell on him, but they probably need him rucking), but the greasy conditions might mean he struggles to mark the ball. Still, if we can isolate him, he showed last week that he's starting to recover quicker from contests and he might be able to get the ball to fall to advantage (his or another crumber's).

If the conditions are dry-ish I wouldn't mind seeing Harris spend a bit of time at chf but not sure if he'll be able to do much in the wet.

Minson should enjoy bustling away in greasy conditions. In a way having at least one, possibly more tall options up forward might be helpful, as wet conditions mean we need to concentrate on just getting the ball forward, rather than precise delivery. One of the best signs last week was our willingness to kick long to Darcy when the precise pass was not on.
I actually think the role of big men is underrated in the wet especially a guy like Darcy who is so clever with his body use. A big body can just nudge a guy off the ball and allow a clear run. If the ball gets behind the pack then thats where you can break into space and big guys tend to hold out their opponents well and allow a clear run. They are also very easy to feed off in the wet as the ball generally goes straight in front of the pack from a marking contest. If your prepared to sit in the hole in front of the pack in the wet then the ball wil come your way. Chris Grant is probably our best wet weather player just because he is so hard to move off the ball. Mitch Hahn will get 400 possesions at Werribee tomorrow.

Agree with your call on Harris. If anything just to see how he goes. Been a long time since he has played much their.

Griffen on Franklin would be exciting and I think he would do ok but if it is a wet track I think Griffen could play a big part with his strong hips. Same goes for Aker , Higgins and West.

Twodogs
27-04-2007, 10:41 PM
If it's going to be wet I'm concerned about the knee guys. I dont know whether it's the fact it was a wet night when Templeton did his knee but I've got a phobia about knees and wet weather.

Dry Rot
27-04-2007, 11:39 PM
If it's going to be wet I'm concerned about the knee guys. I dont know whether it's the fact it was a wet night when Templeton did his knee but I've got a phobia about knees and wet weather.

Yes, i was wondering about that.

southerncross
28-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchpreview/hawthorn-v-western-bulldogs/2007/04/26/1177459886114.html)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Backs: McMahon Harris Morris
Half-backs: Gilbee Wight Hargrave
Centres: Eagleton West Cross
Half-forwards: Giansiracusa Johnson Griffen
Forwards: Murphy Darcy Akermanis
Followers: Minson Boyd Rover: Cooney
Interchange: From: Addison Harbrow Higgins Power Ray Robbins Williams
In: Akermanis Cross Power
Out:

HAWTHORN
Backs: Guerra Gilham Sewell
Half-backs: Ladson Hodge Brown
Centres: Bircahll Mitchell Lewis
Half-forwards: Young Franklin Bateman
Forwards: Boyle Roughead Dixon
Followers: Campbell Osborne Rover: Crawford
Interchange: From: Ellis McGlynn Murphy Muston Smith Taylor Thurgood In: Ladson Smith Thurgood Murphy Muston
Out: Williams (knee) Jacobs (hamstring) LAST TIME R10 Western Bulldogs 16.13 (109) d Hawthorn 13.10 (88) Telstra Dome
AT THIS GROUND Haw 4 WB 2
IN THE 2000s Haw 2 WB 2
COACHES Clarkson 0, Eade 2
UMPIRES 18 Chamberlain, 27 Avon, 28 K Nicholls
BETTING Hawthorn $2.25 Western Bulldogs $1.60
TV Fox Sports 1, 1pm
RADIO 774 ABC, SEN
Summary The Hawks have laughed off widespread criticism of their gameplan to win three straight matches after the dreadful first-up loss to Brisbane. Lance Franklin is providing much of the excitement up-forward, while Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and a host of youngsters get the job done around the ground. The Bulldogs got back on track with a solid 32-point victory over Richmond last weekend. Perhaps the best news for the Dogs was the return to form of Luke Darcy and Robert Murphy who had been struggling after long-term layoffs following knee reconstructions. The Bulldogs have plenty of pace to employ through Ryan Griffen, Lindsay Gilbee and Adam Cooney.
Key The loss of sharpshooter Mark Williams with a knee injury leaves the Hawks light-on for firepower.