PDA

View Full Version : What if we "Welease Bwian!"

The Doctor
20-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Apolgies to the younger folk who may not yet have encountered the joys of Monty Python.

If Brian Lake does a Nathan Brown and walk, what should we do about replacing him? If he goes our AFL ready tall defender stocks will be as good as our tall forwards stocks, ie non existent (thanks Scotty).

Should we trade a defender in or draft one? Drafting one will mean he won't be ready for 3-4 years unless he is a Judd like freak. 1/100 chance of that happening.

What about retaining Welsh and play him as a defender for one more season while one of our younger talls develops? Could this work?

GVGjr
20-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Apolgies to the younger folk who may not yet have encountered the joys of Monty Python.

If Brian Lake does a Nathan Brown and walk, what should we do about replacing him? If he goes our AFL ready tall defender stocks will be as good as our tall forwards stocks, ie non existent (thanks Scotty).

Should we trade a defender in or draft one? Drafting one will mean he won't be ready for 3-4 years unless he is a Judd like freak. 1/100 chance of that happening.

What about retaining Welsh and play him as a defender for one more season while one of our younger talls develops? Could this work?

Funny you should mention Nathan Brown because I was thinking that the Dogs should make a play for WCE's Mitch Brown to cover Lake if he did do a runner.

I mentioned last season that Welsh could be tried as a defender and whilst I think it might have passed him by there is plenty of merit in your suggestion.

I'd be opting to trade for a defender unless a Harry Taylor type could be found.

bornadog
20-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Brian is the tallest fullback we have had in the team, ever and will be hard to replace. We need to keep him at the dogs, and look after him. I just don't feel he would do a Nathan Brown.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Brian is the tallest fullback we have had in the team, ever and will be hard to replace. We need to keep him at the dogs, and look after him. I just don't feel he would do a Nathan Brown.

I think Williams is taller :p

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Funny you should mention Nathan Brown because I was thinking that the Dogs should make a play for WCE's Mitch Brown to cover Lake if he did do a runner.

I mentioned last season that Welsh could be tried as a defender and whilst I think it might have passed him by there is plenty of merit in your suggestion.

I'd be opting to trade for a defender unless a Harry Taylor type could be found.

We did and just missed out. He re-signed last year for 3 years.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 09:43 AM
According to an article in the Hun today, Lakey has indicates he wants to stay. I think he will if they offer him a longer contract.

Still St Kilda may have a couple of spare backmen after this year?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I would have preferred Lake saying he wants to stay, not Fantasia. In fact it would be good PR for Brian to his fans and club members to give a one line statement out there "I love the club and want to stay, we just need to agree to some detail". Gives most people a warm and fuzzy feeling that he is likely to stay, whilst not committing. (Although i'd prefer ink, but that ain't happening)

bornadog
21-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Williams is taller :p

Technical, but I mean Fullback, but yes Williams tallest backman ever.

bornadog
21-08-2009, 09:59 AM
According to an article in the Hun today, Lakey has indicates he wants to stay. I think he will if they offer him a longer contract.

Still St Kilda may have a couple of spare backmen after this year?

Do you think we should go after Maguire?

Mofra
21-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Technical, but I mean Fullback, but yes Williams tallest backman ever.
Cam Wight is taller ;)

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Interesting this -- we talk of Tommygun as if he were a regular, but of course, in our more lucid moments we know that he's lucky to play half the games in any given season seeing as his feet seem to struggle to keep up with the rigours of AFL.

The point is, if Lakey scoots off, and Tommygun is in the treatment room, we're pretty stuffed for tall timber down back aren't we? It will be the land of the midgets down there (Hargrave included) -- does that mean that we have to fast-track some of the taller youngsters into playing down back including some who may have been earmarked for forward duties ie. Boumann, Grant, Ayce, Roughhead etc.?

Also, the Cam Wight point isn't a moot one -- if Lakey does go and we don't snare a good replacement via trade week we WILL have to keep Cam on the list, one would think?

neodog
21-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Maguire is certainly a good replacement for either lake or williams....imagine this week.

INS: Maguire, Higgins
OUT: Williams, Wood

Gia eased back in the 2s

Dry Rot
21-08-2009, 11:28 AM
This isn't good news

Swans cashed up after exits
Jesse Hogan | August 21, 2009
THE spate of retirements at the Swans is likely to cut at least $2 million from the club's wage bill next season, giving it significant clout to chase rival clubs' players....Jared Crouch yesterday became the sixth player to announce his retirement from the Swans since the end of last season, following Tadhg Kennelly, Nic Fosdike, Michael O'Loughlin, Barry Hall and Leo Barry.

Estimates by The Age suggest those six players were to be paid a total of almost $2.5 million this season. While Kennelly and Fosdike both retired before the season began, payments to both of them are included in this year's total....

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/swans-cashed-up-after-exits/2009/08/20/1250362165242.html

Can't see us happy with just getting Swan's first pick and I can't think of any players we'd want that they'd give up.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:20 AM
This isn't good news

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/swans-cashed-up-after-exits/2009/08/20/1250362165242.html

Can't see us happy with just getting Swan's first pick and I can't think of any players we'd want that they'd give up.

Whilst we might not be ecstatic about getting their first pick it's at least interesting.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I'll be really pissed if we lose Lake. If Johnson and Aker took pay cuts next season could we afford him?

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:31 AM
I'll be really pissed if we lose Lake. If Johnson and Aker took pay cuts next season could we afford him?

We can put together a great and more than reasonable offer but there might be a couple of other sides that can pay him $100,000 a season more. Johnson is already on the veterans list and we are hard pressed for our salary cap.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 01:32 AM
This isn't good news

Realistically though Swans would have to offer up over the odds to make it happen given Lake would not last to their pick in the pre-season draft.
If we were unable to do a deal with Brian, and it was clear he wanted to go to the Swans would they have to perhaps look at trading with say a West Coast or a Richmond to give us a very early pick? Or would their 1st pick plus say a Jesse White be enough?

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 01:33 AM

All depends on how much we would need to pay. If it's in the range of the Sydney off of $550K a year, then no, we can't afford him.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:35 AM
All depends on how much we would need to pay. If it's in the range of the Sydney off of $550K a year, then no, we can't afford him.

Would anyone want us to keep Lake if we had to give him say a 4 year contract at $500k a year?

AndrewP6
22-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Would anyone want us to keep Lake if we had to give him say a 4 year contract at $500k a year?

If we could afford to do it, then yes..without him down back, we're ****ed.

The Coon Dog

If that's what it took to keep him, then yes. he's almost irreplaceable.

GVGjr

I'm sure a lot of people would. I can understand the lure of the big bucks but if he was to go to the Swans he won't be playing finals football very often.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Not if it compromised our ability to hold onto other players going forward. That is, if it put us in salary cap problems in 2011 and beyond and meant we had no room to hold onto someone like Griffen, Cooney etc, then I'd question the wisdom.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm sure a lot of people would. I can understand the lure of the big bucks but if he was to go to the Swans he won't be playing finals football very often.

And ultimately that has to be the issue for Brian, is an extra 50-100K the lure, or is it playing in a team that has a chance to win the big prize during his remaining years.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:42 AM

Pretty much. He makes life a lot easier for the other KP defender/us to find another KP defender. All they really have to worry about is negating their opponent because Lake creates so much rebound and can zone off to lead a hand.

I am just wonder at what point we would just rather he leave.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Pretty much. He makes life a lot easier for the other KP defender/us to find another KP defender. All they really have to worry about is negating their opponent because Lake creates so much rebound and can zone off to lead a hand.

I am just wondering what is our limit is.

Even if salary cap space wasn't a huge issue for us I'd struggle to justify a lot of money for a defender.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Even if salary cap space wasn't a huge issue for us I'd struggle to justify a lot of money for a defender.

Yep, that's my line of thinking. But he is also more than a typical defender, he adds so much rebound to our side.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Yep, that's my line of thinking. But he is also more than a typical defender, he adds so much rebound to our side.

So does Scarlett but for big money, I want 80 plus goals from a player or 30 quality touches of the footy.

Lake has been great for us (and we for him) and if he realistic he will be well looked after if he stays with us.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:55 AM
So does Scarlett but for big money, I want 80 plus goals from a player or 30 quality touches of the footy.

Lake has been great for us (and we for him) and if he realistic he will be well looked after if he stays with us.

Pretty much agree with that mate.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 01:56 AM

+1 :)

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2009, 02:05 AM
What if it meant we couldn't keep Cooney next year?

Make no mistake, we will be going through this all again next year.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2009, 02:48 AM
What if it meant we couldn't keep Cooney next year?

Make no mistake, we will be going through this all again next year.

I was trying to allude to this. The problem of getting a lot of low draft picks emerges when those guys all develop into gun players, as we are seeing now. Geelong has been really good at managing this, but then their strength has been a team ethic with excellent on ball and medium sized players. Hence they don't have one single player which is not replaceable.....not even Harley or Scarlett. Add to that they won a GF which has a tendency to unite a team (and can have adverse consequences of its own).

Our problem is that we have one key defender, who is a critical part of the way our backline plays. Not just because he beats Gorilla forwards, but because of the rebound, stability and run he provides from the backline. It would be difficult but not impossible to replace.

What the match committee need to do now is assess, whether Brian is replaceable and if so whom. If not, but we don't want to keep him then they need to work out how we can change our style of play. If they decide to keep Brian, then its a question of who gets sacrificed. Do we trade a Cooney or a Griffen to get another 2 or 3 seasons out of Brian? Do we sacrifice a Gilbee, Gia or Murphy from the aging players to make room for Brian?

None of the alternatives are palatable from a club perspective, but you can hardly expect Brian not to try to maximise his position. After all if the money doesn't go to Brian, its going to some other player on the list.

comrade
22-08-2009, 09:55 AM
We didn't rely on him so much when we kicked 20 goals every week. It appears the latest balancing act is to have a strong backline (aka Lake) with no 'power' forward. So change the balance. Most people could name Hawthorns key goal kickers but could they name Hawthorns fullback?

They don't have one, hence why they're chasing Lake so hard.

Desipura
22-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Do not know that I agree with that entirely. I guess it depends what you classify as alot of money. I believe anywhere between 400-450k is justifiable.
History has shown us, teams with strong defences win grand finals. As we know, Lake is not only a negating backman, he is a great contested mark and provides alot of rebound.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Do not know that I agree with that entirely. I guess it depends what you classify as alot of money. I believe anywhere between 400-450k is justifiable.
History has shown us, teams with strong defences win grand finals. As we know, Lake is not only a negating backman, he is a great contested mark and provides alot of rebound.

$400,000 to $450,000 a season for a 4 year deal is great money for a quality defender and in my opinion that's about Brian's mark. If his requirements are $500,000 plus then not many finals contending teams can afford that and it might be out of our reach.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:50 PM
$400,000 to $450,000 a season for a 4 year deal is great money for a quality defender and in my opinion that's about Brian's mark. If his requirements are $500,000 plus then not many finals contending teams can afford that and it might be out of our reach.

$500K a season for a 4 year deal is roughly my limit. I remember hearing a quote from some American Football coach (tried googling it without success). In a competition with a salary cap (well a team that actually follows it) and the draft, it's more about list evaluation and management than simply doing all you can to keep a player of value. He was much more articulate than that and made my point much better than I just did. :(

DOG GOD
22-08-2009, 02:42 PM
We all know that Brian has a few "issues" with eade during games, in that he is used as a bit of a scapecoat when it comes to being given a blast from rocket with his brain fades. Will this come into consideration for brian when he thinks about his contract. IF he has a problem with eade and deep down doesnt like the fact eade rips him more so than any other player, could brian see this as his "way out"?

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 03:21 PM
We all know that Brian has a few "issues" with eade during games, in that he is used as a bit of a scapecoat when it comes to being given a blast from rocket with his brain fades. Will this come into consideration for brian when he thinks about his contract. IF he has a problem with eade and deep down doesnt like the fact eade rips him more so than any other player, could brian see this as his "way out"?
No. It seems quite clear it's all about the cash.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Maybe in his darker moments but if he is honest with himself he does make some bad mistakes at times and moving clubs is not likely to change that. The 50m penalty last night when the ball sailed through for a behind really shifted the momentum and kickstarted the Cats comeback in the 3rd quarter. He would have been relieved that we fought back in the last and won

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:11 PM
They don't have one, hence why they're chasing Lake so hard.

Well, they had Zac Dawson...

strebla
22-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't think that he will leave but i also believe we should offer him a four year deal worth around 425 a year I think the sticking point is more about the length of term and less about the money.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:17 PM

I would tend to agree, but then that just may be a bias towards the 'glamorous' side of footy (forwards and premium mids). From a purely footballing perspective, a defending corollary of 80+ goals would be the question: does Lake stop the Dogs conceding 80+ goals less than if it was another player in his position?

This is harder to quantify than a straightforward 'goals kicked' column, but if we see the number of marks he takes directly from an opposition kick deep in the 50, we would have to count that as a goal saved, wouldn't we, and of course, he also contributes to stopping goals in other ways than taking marks, so it would be interesting to work out if he really is worth a net gain of 80+ goals to the team.

Some of those direct marks he took yesterday may have normally fallen to the ground and been a 50/50 contest, about half of them resulting in goals (thus 50/50). Just making the point that, from a purely black-and-white perspective, a contested marking defender could/should almost be worth as much as a contested marking forward.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I would have preferred Lake saying he wants to stay, not Fantasia. In fact it would be good PR for Brian to his fans and club members to give a one line statement out there "I love the club and want to stay, we just need to agree to some detail". Gives most people a warm and fuzzy feeling that he is likely to stay, whilst not committing. (Although i'd prefer ink, but that ain't happening)

Totally agree BT, it would be good to hear Brian saying he wants to stay and just has to iron out some details. I think he is obviously worth more money than his current contract, and his salary should be commensurate with the improvement he has shown in recent years. But, there has to be a limit, and I perhaps have an unrealistic view that a player would want to stay at a club, not just because of the $'s, but because of loyalty, mateship, and wanting to play for one club?? Am I just a romantic - or are there more out there like the great man, Chris Grant??

immortalmike
22-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Not sure about that as he's on record saying that he deserves it mostly and he believes it actually helps him during games.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Not sure about that as he's on record saying that he deserves it mostly and he believes it actually helps him during games.

Refer Life With Brian (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4623)

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 05:10 PM

I really don't think so. It seems to me that Eade and Lake have a particularly strong relationship (could be wrong). It's part of the reason Eade feels comfortable in giving Lake blasts. Lake has mentioned that he deserves them and that they help him. I find that Eade rips into Lake in a loveable manner (if that's at all possible).

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Eade is probably the type of coach that Lake needs IMO.

chef
23-08-2009, 07:41 AM
If he goes to Sydney, will he be play forward as they already have Bolton and LRT?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Is there any outcome of this years finals which could affect Brian, one way or the other?

I.e. - Lose finals, he wants to stay to make up for it in the next few years?
I.e. - Win GF, wants to stay on?
I.e. - Win GF, is happy to leave for cash now he has a premiership medallion?

chef
31-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Is there any outcome of this years finals which could affect Brian, one way or the other?

If we won the GF it wouldn't bother me.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 01:44 PM

I think a GF game will ensure that Lake stays with us.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Reading the Age today the issue appears to be the length of the contract and not money. Brian wants 4 but the club is uneasy given he is 27 to offer that. But I am sure there are more issue then just that.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Reading the Age today the issue appears to be the length of the contract and not money. Brian wants 4 but the club is uneasy given he is 27 to offer that. But I am sure there are more issue then just that.
Sorry Muttley i haven't seen the article. Is that the supposition from the journo or quotes?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I love the title of the thread, and it got me thinking...

We yell out 'Coon' when Cooney goes near the ball, how come we don't scream "Bwian" when he marks the ball. I'd love to see and hear a GF crowd screaming "Bwian" at every mark and kick.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchreport/dogs-win-may-be-pivotal-in-finals/2009/08/30/1251570621744.html

...Lake is out of contract and is understood to be keen on a four-year contract, which, like many clubs, the Dogs are reluctant to offer him. The full-back further improved his bargaining position last night.. . .

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchreport/dogs-win-may-be-pivotal-in-finals/2009/08/30/1251570621744.html

...Lake is out of contract and is understood to be keen on a four-year contract, which, like many clubs, the Dogs are reluctant to offer him. The full-back further improved his bargaining position last night.. . .

To me a 4 year deal seems about right. He won our B&F last year and has had an outstanding season in 09. If the article is in anyway accurate I wouldn't mess him around.
If he was asking for 5 years though it's very hard to justify.

Desipura
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
To me a 4 year deal seems about right. He won our B&F last year and has had an outstanding season in 09. If the article is in anyway accurate I wouldn't mess him around.
If he was asking for 5 years though it's very hard to justify.
They generally ask for a little more than they actually think they will get (in terms of $$ and/or years). In 4 years time, he will be 32. I believe he would accept a 3 year deal at the right price.

GVGjr
01-09-2009, 02:04 PM
They generally ask for a little more than they actually think they will get (in terms of $$ and/or years). In 4 years time, he will be 32. I believe he would accept a 3 year deal at the right price.

I think though a longer deal would sit us better because he wants security. Lets say he wants a 2M deal over 4 years (500k a season) but for a 3 year deal he may very well want 1.7M (a touch under 570K a season)

That extra amount might be more than we can accommodate.

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I really don't think so. It seems to me that Eade and Lake have a particularly strong relationship (could be wrong). It's part of the reason Eade feels comfortable in giving Lake blasts. Lake has mentioned that he deserves them and that they help him. I find that Eade rips into Lake in a loveable manner (if that's at all possible).

IMO, over the past 3-4 seasons Lake has had more than his fair share of brain fades, we've all seen him do some moronic with a capital M things, so Eade has had every right to let him have it. Lake needed to be told, and i reckon it made him a better player.

On topic, we have finished up the highest scoring team in the AFL, so much for needing a power forward to kick 80 goals. BUT we have conceded the fifth most score against. Take Lake out and, and there is no doubt we would concede even more. Its simple, he has to stay.

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Yes the window of a flag is here now and for the next few years .. I would do anything to keep him and if its means Aker out than so be it

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
The club might be waiting to the end of the finals for many reasons. If we make and win the GF, Johnson, Welsh, Aker and Eagleton would all probably retire. Then, surely there would be enough room in the salary cap.

Mantis
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes the window of a flag is here now and for the next few years .. I would do anything to keep him and if its means Aker out than so be it

A little scenario for you: Just say we pay him (Lake) more than we can afford and then next year we have Cooney (for example) coming out of contract and he is being chased by GC. Now because we sold the farm to keep Lake we can't afford to give Coon's an increase and he heads off to GC. How would you feel then?

aker39
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
A little scenario for you: Just say we pay him (Lake) more than we can afford and then next year we have Cooney (for example) coming out of contract and he is being chased by GC. Now because we sold the farm to keep Lake we can't afford to give Coon's an increase and he heads off to GC. How would you feel then?

Good question Mantis, but even in this scenario, I think keeping Lake would be the correct decision.

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Good question Mantis, but even in this scenario, I think keeping Lake would be the correct decision.

Lose a Brownlow Medallist and match winner for a full back with one good season thats prone to making decisions that can easily cost a match? Methinks not.

aker39
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Lose a Brownlow Medallist and match winner for a full back with one good season thats prone to making decisions that can easily cost a match? Methinks not.

We have won plenty of matches off the back of Brian Lake.

And if you think Brian Lake has only had one good season, you haven't been watching to closely over the last couple of years. I could have sworn he won our B&F in 2007

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
We have won plenty of matches off the back of Brian Lake.

And if you think Brian Lake has only had one good season, you haven't been watching to closely over the last couple of years. I could have sworn he won our B&F in 2007

Cooney is better.

PaddyWhack
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Back when he signed up last time, he was prone to the occasional brain/bwian fade (as pointed out above) and the $$ reflected this. He has now got his act together and getting the accolades. End result, based on current form, he is entitled to a raise, and at sub-$300K this year, we got a bargain. The Age today had it right - he will take less $$ to stay at WO than what other clubs will throw at him, but he wants more than he is currently getting. My mail is that $400-$450K will keep him at WO and I reckon he is worth that. Oh, and Campbell Rose and Rocket will make damn sure we DON'T pay more than we can afford. Since those two have patched up their differences, the club runs a very tight ship out there and they won't **** this one up.

chef
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Cooney is better.

Lake is more important to the team/structure.

aker39
01-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Cooney is better.

Never said he wasn't.

My point is, who would be harder to replace.

Desipura
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I think though a longer deal would sit us better because he wants security. Lets say he wants a 2M deal over 4 years (500k a season) but for a 3 year deal he may very well want 1.7M (a touch under 570K a season)

That extra amount might be more than we can accommodate.
Fair call....... especially given we will have a number of players in a similiar age bracket, Gilbee, Gia, Hargreave, Hahn to name a few.

Mofra
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Fair call....... especially given we will have a number of players in a similiar age bracket, Gilbee, Gia, Hargreave, Hahn to name a few.
Back-end Lake's contract - the 'draft of 99' boys wont all be around in 3 years, let alone 4.

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Never said he wasn't.

My point is, who would be harder to replace.

I see Cooney as the type of player that comes along every 15 years or so. He's an elite AFL player. So he has struggled this year with injury, but I consider him in the same class as Ablett, or Goodes when he's fully fit. Geelong would never let Ablett go elsewhere, certainly not to keep Scarlett, who most will say is as good as Lake.

Plus i don't think its wise to put all your defensive eggs in the Lake basket: if he gets injured, what then? Going forward, we need to develop another key position defender- i suppose we banked on Williams being thereabouts by now.

But if it had to be done, I'd keep Cooney and lose Lake. Cooney has that X factor that in a 15 minute burst can break open a game for us

hujsh
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Nah. That was a bloke called Brian Harris. Easy mistake to make though.

aker39
01-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I see Cooney as the type of player that comes along every 15 years or so.

When was the last time we had a full back as good as Brian Lake.

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

i'll reserve judgment until after the finals series.

azabob
01-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Only person who comes close but I didnt see enough of to make the call is Rick Kennedy. But different era of footy so hard to compare them.

Sockeye Salmon
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Herb Henderson

anfo27
01-09-2009, 10:16 PM
The club might be waiting to the end of the finals for many reasons. If we make and win the GF, Johnson, Welsh, Aker and Eagleton would all probably retire. Then, surely there would be enough room in the salary cap.

Johnson has said if we win the flag he would still want to go again next season.

aker39
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Herb Henderson

My point exactly.

And that is why we cannot afford to lose him.

Desipura
02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Is there any need to throw personal insults?

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM

David Darcy.............

The Coon Dog
03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
That Sandilands bloke went OK at full back didn't he EJ?

Dazza
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Reported on the footy show that we will not trade him whatsoever. Forcing Lake to go in the draft.

KT31
04-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Rick Kennedy.

GVGjr
04-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Reported on the footy show that we will not trade him whatsoever. Forcing Lake to go in the draft.

It's all good and well to take the tough stance but if push came to shove we would be crazy not to try and get the best deal that we could.

I think he will stay but I'd caution the logic that backs him into a corner.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I would be going crazy if hr did leave, he's the best fullback we've had in a long time, and he's well developed. If he can keep people like Buddy and John Anthony goal-less. Then why would u chip extra to keep him. He is a gem, if we lose him it could take years to train another one. Keep Lake.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Yes it was Hutchy who said that. Brian has been told that he is a required player and won't be traded under any circumstances. Apparently this has even been ratified by the Board.