PDA

View Full Version : Brian Lake negotiates as rivals circle

The Coon Dog
21-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Brian Lake negotiates as rivals circle (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25958896-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | August 21, 2009 12:00am

CONTRACT talks between Brian Lake and the Western Bulldogs have been called off until after the season.

Although the Dogs announced nine new signings on Wednesday, negotiations with Lake have been more complicated.

Lake, an All-Australian contender after a dominant season, has become hot property as cashed-up rivals in need of a key defender circle.

The delay will do nothing to douse speculation about Lake's future, but the Dogs remain confident he is going nowhere.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia last night said: "We don't think we're too far away. Brian has indicated he wants to stay. We just need to be able to come to an agreement."

Both Lake and the club have agreed that it would be best for both parties to focus on the final weeks of the season.

Rest of article... (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25958896-19742,00.html)

GVGjr
21-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Looks like we have a good shot at keeping him

BulldogBelle
21-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Fingers crossed.

Looks like we are heading in the right direction with Brian.

comrade
21-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Do we have Stevo on retainer?

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I certainly think the Doggies should not be shy in putting their hands in their pockets. The Bulldogs have a long history of losing future Brownlow medalists due to financial shortcomings in contract negotiations. We had 2 in the one year at one stage (Round/Quinlan).

bornadog
21-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I certainly think the Doggies should not be shy in putting their hands in their pockets. The Bulldogs have a long history of losing future Brownlow medalists due to financial shortcomings in contract negotiations. We had 2 in the one year at one stage (Round/Quinlan).

We don't want to lose the all Australian Fullback.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think he has ever wanted to leave, all this media build up with Lake is pure speculation. Yeah sure some clubs have put there hand up to sign him, but if he only wants to stay at the Bulldogs, not much else matters.

Remi Moses
23-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Why isn't there as much media speculation about steve Johnson coming out of contract?

GVGjr
23-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Why isn't there as much media speculation about steve Johnson coming out of contract?

Probably because he is more unlikely to leave. Every year there are a heap of good players coming out of contract and the media obviously tends to focus on the ones where the club and players have vastly different sets of numbers they want from each other.

Remi Moses
23-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Probably because he is more unlikely to leave. Every year there are a heap of good players coming out of contract and the media obviously tends to focus on the ones where the club and players have vastly different sets of numbers they want from each other.

What's the difference though?Everyone's speculating at this stage.

Remi Moses
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think he has ever wanted to leave, all this media build up with Lake is pure speculation. Yeah sure some clubs have put there hand up to sign him, but if he only wants to stay at the Bulldogs, not much else matters.

Couldn't agree more. Gee SEN is going to lose most of it's footy talk if Brian signs a new contract:eek:

GVGjr
23-08-2009, 07:59 PM
What's the difference though?Everyone's speculating at this stage.

Could be a bit over $100K and an extra year. It's not insignificant.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 11:51 AM
According to the Hawk on radio this morning, Hawthorn are ready to offer $600K!!!!!!!

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 11:55 AM
According to the Hawk on radio this morning, Hawthorn are ready to offer $600K!!!!!!!
And which gun are they trading to us to free up salary cap space?

G-Mo77
24-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Hawk as in Doug Hawkins?

ledge
24-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Over how many years ?, if it was Doug Hawkins i am guessing he forgot to ask that important part of the question.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes it was Doug Hawkins and probably not worth a lot but consider their predicament - Croad not likely to play again and big question marks over Zak Dawson.

They're in big trouble against teams with decent forwards. The rest of their team is first class so what do they do?

Wait until they draft a likely type?

No, act now - as we should for the same reason.

aker39
24-08-2009, 02:00 PM
big question marks over Zak Dawson.

I know you live interstate, but did you miss the fact that Zac know plays for the saints.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I know you live interstate, but did you miss the fact that Zac know plays for the saints.

I'm having a bad day:D

They're so poor in the backline I can't even remember who they are