PDA

View Full Version : In's and Out's: Versus Collingwood - R22

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Last game of the year. According to Eade Griff and Cross are running and training and likely back next week.

Ins: Griff and Cross

Outs: DFA and Reid

Then to elimiate injuries!

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Very difficult to accurately predict ins and outs when there are a couple of players who will have fitness tests in the lead up to the game.

One of Griff/Cross plays= Addison out.
Both of them play= Reid out as well.
Both of them don't play= Depends on how Tiller or Callan play for Willy. I would like one of them to come in for Dylan.

G-Mo77
22-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I think Griffen will miss again. Obviously you would think Dylan or Reid would be on the block for Crossy to come back.

After watching last night and seeing Geelong stack the bigs up forward I wouldn't be surprised if Tiller gets a call up. What is Williams' status? I'm assuming he's not available next week but will he be back at all?

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I think Griffen will miss again. Obviously you would think Dylan or Reid would be on the block for Crossy to come back.

After watching last night and seeing Geelong stack the bigs up forward I wouldn't be surprised if Tiller gets a call up. What is Williams' status? I'm assuming he's not available next week but will he be back at all?
Who would you have Tiller on?

comrade
22-08-2009, 11:18 AM
What is Williams' status? I'm assuming he's not available next week but will he be back at all?

He was in a massive moon boot and using crutches last night. If he's going to come back this year, it won't be until the second week of the finals IMO.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 11:19 AM
He was in a massive moon boot and using crutches last night. If he's going to come back this year, it won't be until the second week of the finals IMO.
In sudden death finals, does he come back at all?

comrade
22-08-2009, 11:22 AM
In sudden death finals, does he come back at all?

He also seems to struggle to adjust to the pace of a game when he returns from injury - in a final that will just be exacerbated.

I'd be inclined to play Tiller next week to provide a tall option and get some pre-finals game time into him, in case either a) Tommy doesn't recover or b) the match committee don't trust he'll be able to contribute after coming back from injury.

G-Mo77
22-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Who would you have Tiller on?

Well it all depends on who they play forward. I wouldn't change the matchups from last time. Morris had Cloke and Lake had Anthony. They put Brown forward last time and Josh Fraser looks to be playing forward this week. Some extra height in our backline wouldn't hurt there would be a match up for him there.

Or maybe not at all. :(

G-Mo77
22-08-2009, 11:25 AM
He also seems to struggle to adjust to the pace of a game when he returns from injury - in a final that will just be exacerbated.

I'd be inclined to play Tiller next week to provide a tall option and get some pre-finals game time into him, in case either a) Tommy doesn't recover or b) the match committee don't trust he'll be able to contribute after coming back from injury.

Tiller held up in the finals last year. I'm confident he can do it again if needed.

Desipura
22-08-2009, 11:54 AM
We are fortunate in that we have an 8 day break which will increase the chances of Griffen and Cross being fit to play.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 12:01 PM

It looks like Addison and Reid will have to make way for Griffen and Cross, whether it be this week or the QF. If we have our best 22 minus Williams, who will make way for Tiller?

comrade
22-08-2009, 12:33 PM
It looks like Addison and Reid will have to make way for Griffen and Cross, whether it be this week or the QF. If we have our best 22 minus Williams, who will make way for Tiller?

If the MC wanted to play Tiller, and keeping in mind that we have two gun midfielders coming back, I think Picken could make way but it'd be a very tough decision to make.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 02:21 PM
We are fortunate in that we have an 8 day break which will increase the chances of Griffen and Cross being fit to play.

It would be 9 days from the Friday night to the Sunday twilight. Any word on whether the game will be rescheduled, or is that off the cards?

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 02:22 PM
It would be 9 days from the Friday night to the Sunday twilight. Any word on whether the game will be rescheduled, or is that off the cards?
Not happening according to AD on radio.

Why we don't have 2 Friday night games and 6 Saturday games in the final round i'll never understand. Then there would not be an issue, except television times, which is what it's all about.

bornadog
22-08-2009, 02:23 PM

off the cards. I can't see why they can't at least make it a 1pm Sunday instead of the 4.40

Desipura
22-08-2009, 03:15 PM
off the cards. I can't see why they can't at least make it a 1pm Sunday instead of the 4.40
Cos we will be celebrating my daughters 3rd birthday from lunchtime Saturday (my parents) & Sunday (with my inlaws). The 4.40pm game enables me to do everything include go to the game!:D

strebla
22-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Cos we will be celebrating my daughters 3rd birthday from lunchtime Saturday (my parents) & Sunday (with my inlaws). The 4.40pm game enables me to do everything include go to the game!:D

Well i finnish work at one pm so I am good either way!!!

bornadog
22-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Got a ticket?

Stefcep
22-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Why not rest players next week for the first week of the finals? What does the Collingwood game really matter?

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Why not rest players next week for the first week of the finals? What does the Collingwood game really matter?

If we win we will finish third and get to play Geelong instead of St.Kilda in the QF. I know we have a few players coming back but I think the Cats will be as ripe for the picking as ever come week one of the finals. Winning means we will get a much needed week off and have probably play Collingwood in the Prelim.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 11:53 PM

If we rest players & lose by 10 -11 goals & Carlton beat Adelaide by 10-11 goals they would just about overtake our %.

Highly unlikely, but lets take it right out of the equation, beat Collingwood (% might be an issue there depending on tomorrow's result), gain 3rd, knock off Geelong in the 1st week of the finals & have a rest then, all 22 of them.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 11:55 PM
If we rest players & lose by 10 -11 goals & Carlton beat Adelaide by 10-11 goals they would just about overtake our %.

Highly unlikely, but lets take it right out of the equation, beat Collingwood (% might be an issue there depending on tomorrow's result), gain 3rd, knock off Geelong in the 1st week of the finals & have a rest then, all 22 of them.

That would be alright.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't think that picking the ins and outs will be so hard.

If they are fit
In: Cross, Griffen and Williams
out will be
Outs: Reid, Addison and Picken

Comments on others:
Minson: Is it too late in the year to drop him? I think so. He seems to do OK every second week. Gives away stupid frees and drops marks. But some weeks he does good.

Welsh: Probably will keep his spot as the selection committee don't seem to want to give any more youth a try this late in the season.

Eagleton: Played himself back into form, Should have been dropped months ago but is now back playing well, hopefully for another scintillating 5-week burst. That long run to position along the left wing and flank and long kick to the forwards was really special.

Giansiracusa: The gamble to put him straight in rather than go to Williamston first paid off. I think that he played OK and will get better.

Cross: I wouldn't like to see Cross back in the team. These last two weeks without Cross have been terrific. Not so much going backwards and sidewards, guys getting the ball themselves and running forward, cutting through the lines. Our run has improved no-end. Cross can't run.

Desipura
23-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Got a ticket?

Yes, sitting on level 1 on the wing

Stefcep
23-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Sounds good. On triple M they were saying virtually every premiership winner in the last decade has had no injuries going into the finals. This year, the only team in that situation is likely to be St Kilda. Would be great if we could be the other one come the finals.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think that picking the ins and outs will be so hard.

If they are fit
In: Cross, Griffen and Williams
out will be
Outs: Reid, Addison and Picken

Comments on others:
Minson: Is it too late in the year to drop him? I think so. He seems to do OK every second week. Gives away stupid frees and drops marks. But some weeks he does good.

Welsh: Probably will keep his spot as the selection committee don't seem to want to give any more youth a try this late in the season.

Eagleton: Played himself back into form, Should have been dropped months ago but is now back playing well, hopefully for another scintillating 5-week burst. That long run to position along the left wing and flank and long kick to the forwards was really special.

Giansiracusa: The gamble to put him straight in rather than go to Williamston first paid off. I think that he played OK and will get better.

Cross: I wouldn't like to see Cross back in the team. These last two weeks without Cross have been terrific. Not so much going backwards and sidewards, guys getting the ball themselves and running forward, cutting through the lines. Our run has improved no-end. Cross can't run.

Disagree. Yeah Cross cant sprint, but boy does he run longer and harder than anyone in the team. And he finds more of the hard balls in and under packs than anyone. We got smashed in the clearances against Geelong and miss Cross. Straight back in when he is fit.

In
Cross. Griff

Out
Reid. Addison

I dont think Williams will be right after a week off, and with a broken foot i'm not sure if he will be back at all this season, we may just have to play a shorter backline for the finals ie use his pace to exploit the Collingduds.

Lets get a 3rd finish by knocking off Collingwood and play Geelong in the first week...

lemmon
23-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Cant see us dropping Picken as has been suggested by a few. He's become vital to our team and midfield structure not only stopping a top opposition midfielder but freeing up Boydy and to an extent Cross. Been a fantastic acquisition this year and dropping him would be playing with fire.

Out- Addison, Reid
In- Cross, Griff

DOG GOD
23-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree Lemmon, I cant believe posters are saying to drop Picken. He's hard, can tage and tag well and can kick a goal. ABSOLUTELY in our best 22.

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree Lemmon, I cant believe posters are saying to drop Picken. He's hard, can tage and tag well and can kick a goal. ABSOLUTELY in our best 22.

Totally agree. We need a nasty little bastard like him. :)

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 06:41 PM
In Cross
Out Reid

Griff may need another week, no need to rush him.
Rather than drop him, I would like two Pickens, one for Didak and one for Swan.
Who does he go to this week? Swan? Then give DFA a crunch license on Didak.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Who did Picken play on last time? I thought it was Swan and he came off second best but I could be wrong.

azabob
23-08-2009, 09:25 PM
In Tiller

Out Welsh

lemmon
23-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Who did Picken play on last time? I thought it was Swan and he came off second best but I could be wrong.

Swan and Didak wasnt it? Numerous options though against the pies, he could easily go to Davis or Pendles

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Can't believe you are potting Cross, have to be in the top half dozen for the past four years

Rocco Jones
23-08-2009, 11:22 PM

Not trying to attack you, but after reading your posts for a couple of years on here and BF, would it be fair to say you would like the club to trade Cross and delist him if they couldn't get anything for him?

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Cant see us dropping Picken as has been suggested by a few. He's become vital to our team and midfield structure not only stopping a top opposition midfielder but freeing up Boydy and to an extent Cross. Been a fantastic acquisition this year and dropping him would be playing with fire.

Out- Addison, Reid
In- Cross, Griff

Agree

The Underdog
23-08-2009, 11:30 PM
In: Callan
Out: Addison

Neither Cross or Griff will lack for missing another week. Although i'd be fine with Cross for Addison if he's truly fit, as extra mids would help counter Collingwood's high midfield rotations.

As much as I'd like to win by 5 goals and play Geelong, having a 7 day break and giving our guys as much time to get fit and recover isn't the worst thing in the world.

Mantis
24-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Much will depend on the eligibility of Cross & Griffen and whether we need to rest any sore/ tired players before the finals. Rocket stated that both players were a 90% chance of returning so with that being the case I think they both play. I am also very keen to see Tim Callan return to the team this week to help us combat the smalls of the Collingwood team, in particular Leon Davis. I guess much will depend on whether Brad Dick plays as if he does we will probably need another quick small defender, but it isn't going to be easy to find someone to leave out.

Players under the pump would be Addison & Reid although both add some grunt, but are probably not in our best 22 just yet. I was really impressed by Reid on Friday night, his use of the ball was much better than in the previous week and he looks to be a player in the making. After these 2 it gets bloody tough.

Ozza
24-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I like Reid being in the team at the moment - and happy for him to stay in but I guess he will go when Cross is ready.

Dylan Addison would be the first to drop for mine - little bit disappointed that he hasn't improved at all since last year - had high hopes for him and love his attack on the ball - but he is very very slow - and lacks the strength to stand up in the tackle and still get off the hands. Will need a summer in the gym or two to work on that.

Mantis
24-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I like Reid being in the team at the moment - and happy for him to stay in but I guess he will go when Cross is ready.

Dylan Addison would be the first to drop for mine - little bit disappointed that he hasn't improved at all since last year - had high hopes for him and love his attack on the ball - but he is very very slow - and lacks the strength to stand up in the tackle and still get off the hands. Will need a summer in the gym or two to work on that.

I am getting a little tired of watching him trying to get his hands free with a lifting motion only to have the ball knocked away into the arms of an opposing player. Someone needs to tell Dylan that it is ok to occassionally be tackled with the ball in your possession rather than coughing the ball up.

Mofra
24-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Reid has overtaken him for mine. Reid was 2nd in our tackle count and had 9 more touches than DFA, is better overhead and curbed Bartel's influence. He'll be handy against the Pies, and is probably a guy who will play better against tougher opponents.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Cross in, Addison/Reid out.
Picken is a star.

Sedat
24-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Reid has overtaken him for mine. Reid was 2nd in our tackle count and had 9 more touches than DFA, is better overhead and curbed Bartel's influence. He'll be handy against the Pies, and is probably a guy who will play better against tougher opponents.
I am an unabashed Reid fan, and he has shown in his 3 matches this season that he can more than hold his own at the highest level as part of the midfield rotations. He is the sole reason we haven't felt Cross' loss as keenly in the last 2 weeks as we otherwise could have.

I love Addison's hardness and intent but his decision-making and general smarts need to go up a level next season. You certainly can't question his team-oriented acts, but if it is out of Reid and Addison to fill a spot in the team I'd give it to Reid at this stage.

Picken could be a possibility to take one of Collingwood's small forwards. He has the pace and tank to run all day, and his smarts are getting better all the time. Earlier in the season I was nervous about him spending extended periods down back but I'm less nervous about this now. I like Callan as well but I can't see him squeeze into the line-up as it currently stands. Ditto Tiller because of his extended injury lay-off.

Ozza
24-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I am getting a little tired of watching him trying to get his hands free with a lifting motion only to have the ball knocked away into the arms of an opposing player. Someone needs to tell Dylan that it is ok to occassionally be tackled with the ball in your possession rather than coughing the ball up.

That one on the wing - when he didn't quite take the mark - was atrocious. Really insipid piece of play.

Go_Dogs
24-08-2009, 12:10 PM
That one on the wing - when he didn't quite take the mark - was atrocious. Really insipid piece of play.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, amazing gather - probably put himself under pressure by taking the ball so cleanly.

As far as his speed, I thought he looked pretty quick at times. There was one passage of play where a ball was kicked wide to Joel Selwood, Addison from a long way back chased very well but unfortunately couldn't stick the tackle.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd leave out Welsh before I'd leave out Reid.

Addison will certainly miss out.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Play Reid, he hasn't played against Collingwood before - it brings the element of suprise.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised at the calls for Reid to go. Does this come from looking at the stats sheets alone?

Reid was very effective in taking Bartel out of the game which few opponents have been able to do over the past three years. He deserves another go

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Agreed.

Reid was fantastic on Bartel, I watched this closely a number of times including on replay. He needs to improve his kicking but all the other elements on his game are pretty good. His tackles stick and he's always able to fire a handball out of one. Strength and courage has been enromous from Reid, and he's overtaken Addison for mine too.

I know Griff/Cross still need to come back but I wouldn't mind having Reid play in the finals.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I'd leave out Welsh before I'd leave out Reid.

Addison will certainly miss out.

Was that the view of the Austrian commentators too?:D

Mantis
24-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised at the calls for Reid to go. Does this come from looking at the stats sheets alone?

Reid was very effective in taking Bartel out of the game which few opponents have been able to do over the past three years. He deserves another go

With Hill & Eagleton pulling their digits out over the past few weeks and with the imminent return of 2 very good players I think it's just a case that someone has to go and Reid looks like the unlucky one.

He was very good against Geelong and I don't think anyone would complain if he was given another opportunity.

aker39
24-08-2009, 02:39 PM
With Hill & Eagleton pulling their digits out over the past few weeks and with the imminent return of 2 very good players I think it's just a case that someone has to go and Reid looks like the unlucky one.

He was very good against Geelong and I don't think anyone would complain if he was given another opportunity.

That is exactly right. I spoke to Finey on Friday night and he asked me who I would drop for Cross & Griffin.

I said that although Reid has been ok, he would be one and that until 2 weeks ago, Eagleton would be the other. But now, I don't know who the other will be, maybe Addison.

Good luck to the selectors

bornadog
24-08-2009, 02:41 PM
That is exactly right. I spoke to Finey on Friday night and he asked me who I would drop for Cross & Griffin.

I said that although Reid has been ok, he would be one and that until 2 weeks ago, Eagleton would be the other. But now, I don't know who the other will be, maybe Addison.

Good luck to the selectors

What a great problem to have.

always right
24-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Concentrating on this week only..... Cross will come in for Reid with Griff given another week off. I really like the way Reid plays and prefer him to Addison but we are going to need defensive options against the multitude of small forwards Collingwood has. Whilst Reid could go down back I think Addison will be preferred by Eade to play that role.

The following week will be interesting when Griff returns. Going to be one very unlucky player. The biggest concern if we are playing St Kilda in week one of the finals is the need for a third defensive tall. If we play Lake and Morris as our only talls, we will have no felxibility to swap blokes around as required. Despite his modest form of late, Williams could be sorely missed.

Ozza
24-08-2009, 04:09 PM
The following week will be interesting when Griff returns. Going to be one very unlucky player. The biggest concern if we are playing St Kilda in week one of the finals is the need for a third defensive tall. If we play Lake and Morris as our only talls, we will have no felxibility to swap blokes around as required. Despite his modest form of late, Williams could be sorely missed.

I'm not a huge Welsh fan, but I thought his game was ok when he helped out down back. Gives us some flexibility to have him swing back there for periods.

mighty_west
24-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Out : Addison
In : Cross

Mofra
24-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not a huge Welsh fan, but I thought his game was ok when he helped out down back. Gives us some flexibility to have him swing back there for periods.
He's a very smart reader of the play, but he's shorter than Morris, Shaggy and Tiller. He wont help against a monster. St Kilda would have that extra tall that used to flog us all the time when their forwardline had Riewoldt, Gehrig, Hamill & Schwarze in it.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Was that the view of the Austrian commentators too?:D

Vienna airport - free WiFi and 800+ kB/sec downloads.

Downloaded the torrent of the game in 49 minutes.

The laptop battery gave up the ghost somewhere over Turkey though, so I've only seen up to the middle of the 3rd - they've just started coming back.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Vienna airport - free WiFi and 800+ kB/sec downloads.

Downloaded the torrent of the game in 49 minutes.

The laptop battery gave up the ghost somewhere over Turkey though, so I've only seen up to the middle of the 3rd - they've just started coming back.

That happens a lot over Turkey

Mantis
24-08-2009, 07:20 PM
He's a very smart reader of the play, but he's shorter than Morris, Shaggy and Tiller. He wont help against a monster. St Kilda would have that extra tall that used to flog us all the time when their forwardline had Riewoldt, Gehrig, Hamill & Schwarze in it.

So why then was he pitted against Munford when he went forward?

I understand Munford is a bit of a spud, but Welsh was reasonably effective and can do a like job on like players.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Everytime I have played sport (basketball, football etc) I never worried if my opponent was 2cms taller, of 5cm or 10cms

If you want the ball more, your smarter, and your team mates back you up then it doesnt matter

I wouldnt be too worried about not having Williams

Welsh played quite good in defence against the Cats, and also against North earlier this year

Shaggy has smashed some blokes that are much taller than him this season and use his leap, pace and reading of the play to his advantage

We wont be playing St Kilda or the Cats against at the 'Dome

At the G on potentially a wet ground, or with a windy swirl, height isnt always the key to success

Mofra
24-08-2009, 08:21 PM
At the G on potentially a wet ground, or with a windy swirl, height isnt always the key to success
We can't hope it's a wet day against the Saints. I'd much rather us have adequate match-ups than hope players can fight outside their weight division. I think we can match up ok vs Geelong & the Pies and cover Tommy against them, but the Saints also have Sam Gilbert at 193cm who played forward during their pre-season who can hurt us whilst keeping their defensive structure intact.

anfo27
24-08-2009, 08:41 PM
A bit concerned with Scott Welsh playing forward this week on Presti. Can't see how Welsh will get a sniff, Presti has him covered on the lead & in marking contests. Does anyone think we should rest Welsh, go smaller & try to make Presti ineffective?

Rocco Jones
24-08-2009, 08:51 PM
A bit concerned with Scott Welsh playing forward this week on Presti. Can't see how Welsh will get a sniff, Presti has him covered on the lead & in marking contests. Does anyone think we should rest Welsh, go smaller & try to make Presti ineffective?

I would play Welsh as a swingman against Collingwood. I would like us to match it up a bit to try to create mismatches for Presti.

anfo27
24-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I would play Welsh as a swingman against Collingwood. I would like us to match it up a bit to try to create mismatches for Presti.

If you do that is there a match up for him? Collingwood dont usually play too tall.

Mantis
25-08-2009, 09:15 AM
FYI...

Injured Dogs have eye on the Pies (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25976572-19742,00.html)
Mark Stevens | August 25, 2009 12:00am

The Western Bulldogs could be strengthened by the return of midfielders Daniel Cross and Ryan Griffen for Sunday's clash with Collingwood. Both will be tested later in the week, but the Dogs are increasingly buoyant about their chances of being passed fit.

Cross, who has missed two matches, after clean-up surgery to his ankle, is seen as almost a definite starter.

Griffen, who injured his hamstring the day before the Round 20 win against the Brisbane Lions, is responding well to treatment.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Mantis. I am sure they would only be brought back if there was no doubt in their mind that they werer fully fit and ready to go.

Mofra
25-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Doc Larkins last week said Cross had already been running so I'd be surprised if he doesn't play.

Mantis
25-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Doc Larkins last week said Cross had already been running so I'd be surprised if he doesn't play.

Ankle operation for any 'normal' player = 4 weeks
Ankle operation for Daniel Cross = 2 weeks

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Ankle operation for any 'normal' player = 4 weeks
Ankle operation for Daniel Cross = 2 weeks

I'm surprised he wasn't awake for it and doing some upper body weights work while the surgery was going on, to be honest.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Not happening according to AD on radio.

Why we don't have 2 Friday night games and 6 Saturday games in the final round i'll never understand. Then there would not be an issue, except television times, which is what it's all about.

Actually, all the games in the final round should (logistics permitting) be played at the same time. This is the only real way to prevent manipulation of the final standings -- two top 4 teams playing each other could easily decide to 'take it easy' to prepare for the first week of finals if they know the results of other games (I could give examples, but there are numerous ones from other sports).

Desipura
25-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm surprised he wasn't awake for it and doing some upper body weights work while the surgery was going on, to be honest.
I like it. :D Or even handballing a footy to all the Doctors in the operating room.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 01:02 PM
If Cross and Griff are fit, it's a good problem to have, isn't it? Trying to work out who is going to miss out? For mine, I would want Reid to stay in the side - perhaps Addison out. Maybe the match ups aren't right against Collingwood, but Reid has far outstripped Dylan in his development. He is strong, courageous and whilst still makes errors, he seems to have a good footy brain. :confused:

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I like it. :D Or even handballing a footy to all the Doctors in the operating room.

He did, but was told to stop it as they were trying to concentrate while holding very sharp objects.

Mofra
25-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe the match ups aren't right against Collingwood, but Reid has far outstripped Dylan in his development. He is strong, courageous and whilst still makes errors, he seems to have a good footy brain. :confused:
Agree. In any case, you have to get the footy first before you can make errors with it, and Reid seems to be able to do this as well or better.

Happy Days
25-08-2009, 04:22 PM
As much as Reid deserves to keep his spot and Dylan doesn't, if Cross is the only one coming back in , then Reid will be the one to get the chop; the whole like-for-like scenario. Callan should probably come in for DFA, but he won't.

If Griffen is fit, the he would obviously come in for Dylan, but I'm skeptical, based on what others have posted and the type of injury. Cross looks an absolute monty to come back though.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2009, 09:02 PM
As much as Reid deserves to keep his spot and Dylan doesn't, if Cross is the only one coming back in , then Reid will be the one to get the chop; the whole like-for-like scenario.

Not sure team selection is that transparent. Under your "like-for-life" theory, how did Higgins and Giansiracusa (two small half-forwards) come in for Williams (key-defender) and Wood (running depth)?

If anything is going to save Addison it is our lack of defensive cover but I think Reid would do a better job as a small defender than DFA anyway.

Happy Days
25-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Not sure team selection is that transparent. Under your "like-for-life" theory, how did Higgins and Giansiracusa (two small half-forwards) come in for Williams (key-defender) and Wood (running depth)?

If anything is going to save Addison it is our lack of defensive cover but I think Reid would do a better job as a small defender than DFA anyway.

Didn't mean it like that; it's much more applicable in this scenario than in the one you mentioned. After all, Reid was brought in as cover for the role Cross plays for us.

What have you seen from Reid that makes you think he could play as a small defender?

Rocco Jones
25-08-2009, 09:16 PM
What have you seen from Reid that makes you think he could play as a small defender?

* Tough
* Strong body
* Quality tackler
* Good overhead for his size
* Positions himself well in contests
* Intensity

Happy Days
25-08-2009, 09:17 PM
* Tough
* Strong body
* Quality tackler
* Good overhead for his size
* Positions himself well in contests
* Intensity

All correct, but does he have the pace?

Rocco Jones
25-08-2009, 09:25 PM
All correct, but does he have the pace?

No, but remember I am only comparing him to Dylan Addison. Another quality of Reid that I like is his confidence and belief in winning a contest.

Happy Days
25-08-2009, 09:42 PM
No, but remember I am only comparing him to Dylan Addison. Another quality of Reid that I like is his confidence and belief in winning a contest.

Again, all true.

But I wouldn't be comparing him to Addison, but rather Callan, who should be the preferred choice for the small defender spot.