PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer to finish 3rd or 4th?

The Coon Dog
24-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Interesting that either may be more beneficial depending on how you see things & possible implications further on.

Most of those have been explained in this thread 3rd vs 4th (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5853)

So, do you have a preference?

The Pie Man
24-08-2009, 12:19 PM
We all might want to play Geelong, but it looks like that might be the Friday night game, which leaves their opponent 5 days break.

aker39
24-08-2009, 12:25 PM
We all might want to play Geelong, but it looks like that might be the Friday night game, which leaves their opponent 5 days break.

Don't believe everything you read.

We will NOT be playing on Friday night.

chef
24-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't really have a preference(maybe a slight lean towards playing Saints because beating Geelong twice in three weeks won't be easy), just happy to finish top 4 and have a double chance.

Ozza
24-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Would rather finish 3rd - absolutely.

We know we can beat geelong, we'd be likely to get Adelaide or Brissy in Melbourne the following week - and above all else....

It would mean we have beaten Collingwood convincingly before the finals - what a boost that would be leading into our finals tilt.

Sedat
24-08-2009, 12:29 PM
My preference is Geelong, only to 100% remove the possibility of playing a final at Etihad Stadium against St Kilda in the first week of the finals.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 12:32 PM
No preference, fate will take care of things.

aker39
24-08-2009, 12:33 PM
my preference is geelong, only to 100% remove the possibility of playing a final at etihad stadium against st kilda in the first week of the finals.

For **** sake.

We will not be playing St Kilda in a final at Etihad.

St Kilda are playing on Sunday at the MCG.

There will not be a final at Etihad this year.

Can I make it any clearer

The Coon Dog
24-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't really have a preference to be honest. I can see advantages/disadvantages either way.

At the end of the day, if we're good enough we'll beat whoever we're scheduled to play.

I do have one worry & that's the loser of 2v3 is slotted in the following Friday night, which could mean consecutive 6 day breaks if we finished 3rd & subsequently lost to Geelong.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 12:34 PM
For **** sake.

Sorry Aker, i lost you after for ****.

Can you explain more concisely please? :)

Sedat
24-08-2009, 12:38 PM
For **** sake.

Hear you loud and clear :) - I know it is a 99.9% chance of not happening, but that 0.1% chance still exists.

aker39
24-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't really have a preference to be honest. I can see advantages/disadvantages either way.

At the end of the day, if we're good enough we'll beat whoever we're scheduled to play.

I do have one worry & that's the loser of 2v3 is slotted in the following Friday night, which could mean consecutive 6 day breaks if we finished 3rd & subsequently lost to Geelong.

If we lose, we will have a 6 day break no matter what.

Both lower ranked teams will have an extra days break on the higher placed teams in week 2 of the finals.

The winner of the Friday night elimination final, will play the loser of the Saturday qualifying final on the Friday in week 2.

The winner of the Saturday elimination final, will play the loser of the Sunday qualifying final on the Saturday in week 2.

G-Mo77
24-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I picked Geelong. I just think they're carrying a couple of injuries right now and will be a bit weaker in week 1 of the finals.

I don't think it matters really, both sides are going to be tough competition but I am still confident we have the ability to knock over either side.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Dont care who we play, bring it on. We have beaten Geelong at the right end of the season, and the Saints look vulnerable. History shows taking form into the finals against good opposition is beneficial. Saints play Melbourne, Cats the Ole Heave Ho. If we get across the Pies next week its a all go......get along liddle doggie!

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Advantages in both, Geelong will still be getting back injured players and we are confident we can beat them and theoretically play against the Saints in a GF.

PlaySt Kilda first, and lose we won't have to meet them in a preliminary - it would be Geelong or Collingwood - so better teams to have the final fight against.

Mantis
24-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't care.

We will have to play well in our first final regardless of the opposition and personally I can see both advantages & disadvantages in playing either team.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I am sitting on the fence for this one, I would like to beat the pies but I don't care by how much. I would like us to win our first final and I don't care who.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Good note is that we got smashed in the centre against the Cats, and still won. Crossy and Griff to come back will harden us up in there!

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I voted Geelong, but I guess I don't really care that much. We need to be able to beat them all - I'm just pleased we are showing some great form at the business end of the season for a change :D

mighty_west
24-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't care who we play or where we finish [3rd or 4th].

If we are good enough to make the GF and win a Premiership, we'll have to beat all these teams anyway.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd prefer to play Geelong but our preparation for the QF is more important. I would much rather rest a couple of key-players and get our players as cherry ripe as possible and play St.Kilda than going all guns blazing, having a couple of more sore players and play Geelong.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 07:25 PM
If rewoldt is out for 2 weeks with this 'injury' i wouldnt mind playing the saints in the qual final.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2009, 07:33 PM
If rewoldt is out for 2 weeks with this 'injury' i wouldnt mind playing the saints in the qual final.

There is no way he will miss the QF with this injury.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 07:37 PM
There is no way he will miss the QF with this injury.

if only..

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd prefer to play Geelong but our preparation for the QF is more important. I would much rather rest a couple of key-players and get our players as cherry ripe as possible and play St.Kilda than going all guns blazing, having a couple of more sore players and play Geelong.

I don't know about this resting players business (unless they're crook, of course) -- isn't it called flirting with your form, and we've seen how well it's worked for the Saints..

I'd rather just tough the wins out and fall over the line if you have to, rather than get too far ahead of ourselves at this point of the season.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd be happy with either as long as we are top 4 we give ourselves a shot. I would prefer 3rd spot as it would mean that we have had good wins against Brisbane Geelong and Collingwood. Winning form is good form as they say.

Mofra
25-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Voted as no preference, I think a week 1 victory is vital as a few guys are carrying niggles; I'm confident we can beat anyone on our day. The week off could really help.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I think the real question is who wouldn't like to play us.....

It doesn't really matter as it is really just one week at a time and the boys would have learnt a heap from last year and surly will be out to prove themselves as this is the best change that anybody has to win a flag as the saints have dropped away, Geelong have some bug injuries and Collingwood... Well it is September!;)

boydogs
25-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Malthouse reckons they don't care who they play - I think they will be pushing for Geelong though

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83448/default.aspx

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't really have a preference(maybe a slight lean towards playing Saints because beating Geelong twice in three weeks won't be easy), just happy to finish top 4 and have a double chance.

I'm with you just finishing top 4 is a much better position than 5th or 6th i just hope we don't lose first week and have to play Carlton who has got the better of us recently

Max469
25-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm with you just finishing top 4 is a much better position than 5th or 6th i just hope we don't lose first week and have to play Carlton who has got the better of us recently

My sentiments exactly.

Dancin' Douggy
26-08-2009, 12:32 AM
if we finish 3rd we have beaten collingwood so 3rd for me.

Sedat
26-08-2009, 12:10 PM
The fundamental question of 3rd vs 4th should be about which scenario represents our best possible chance of winning a QF, not about which scenario gives us the best possible chance of winning our SF if we happen to lose the QF. Based on this year's results, and the form line/injury list of our likely opponents, playing Geelong would undeniably represent the better chance for us to proceed directly to a PF. But at the end of the day, neither opponent is going to roll over and let us tickle their tummy, so we simply have to perform at or near our optimum on the day to give us the best chance of winning. The reality is that we'll more than likely need to beat both teams at some stage in order to win the flag.