PDA

View Full Version : Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 12:30 PM
For all the trash talk we've received this year, no-to-low expectations, 100/1 odds, and not being taken seriously (although after the WCE game it was justified)... And, yes I know it's shoulda, coulda, woulda stuff - but if our many posters against Geelong (2pts), Collingwood (1pt) and WCE (5pts) go through, we're sitting in second place on the ladder this week above Geelong and Collingwood (obviously).

Whilst it's not the case and we are top 4 (who hoo, top 4 again :) ), not top 2, it shows we might just be a little better than some actually give us credit for. Heartening if your a bulldogs loyalist I think.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Sorry BT, don't accept this at all.

We didn't deserve to win any of those games. We were outplayed for most of each of those games, and it was simply amazing that we got so close.

Not unlucky losses IMO.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry BT, don't accept this at all.

We didn't deserve to win any of those games. We were outplayed for most of each of those games, and it was simply amazing that we got so close.

Not unlucky losses IMO.
Fair enough DR.

I guess my point was about 'deserving' per se, rather that we were in 'positions to win' the games. And with three games decided by under a goal, that perhaps we are not as far back as many media folk suggest (as if they happened to go the other way for whatever reason, we would be entrenched in 2nd).

I know it's all hypothetical, but a closer look at our results (less the WCE disaster) is actually better than i think most media folk think.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Even Hawthorn lost to Richmond last year - so cut us some slack with regards to West Coast.

This year all the cards are starting to fall in our favour.

-We are not the favourites - (we don't cope well with great expectations)
-We are playing against victorian based teams.
- We match up well against both Collingwood and Geelong.
- St Kilda are starting to look a bit proppy, so if we play them first, we could have a chance to beat them - otherwise all going well - we would meet them again in the GF.
- We need to win a premiership before GC and West Sydney come into the competiton.

NB: Occurred to me last night that perhaps negotiations with Lakey have been held off, because if we do win the GF there may be some retirements i.e. Aker, Johno, etc freeing up the salary cap.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Fair enough DR.

I guess my point was about 'deserving' per se, rather that we were in 'positions to win' the games. And with three games decided by under a goal, that perhaps we are not as far back as many media folk suggest (as if they happened to go the other way for whatever reason, we would be entrenched in 2nd).

I know it's all hypothetical, but a closer look at our results (less the WCE disaster) is actually better than i think most media folk think.

Fair enough, but the same could be said about the many close losses by Freo last year.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Fair enough, but the same could be said about the many close losses by Freo last year.

And Geelong this year. They've been super lucky to get over the line a few times.

I think we're the third best side at the moment and I prefer we play the Saints week 1. After what I've seen in this last two weeks, I'm confident we're in the right position to give this a shake.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Journo's just arnt taking us seriously..
I was listning to MMM this morning and the so called Professional Garry Lyon was on.
He said one thing about the bulldogs,,that our last premiership was in 1961...what the??
Noones going to care about us until we go into a Grand Final and win it.

mighty_west
24-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I was listning to MMM this morning and the so called Professional Garry Lyon was on.
He said one thing about the bulldogs,,that our last premiership was in 1961...what the??

And why shouldn't they have that opinion about us? Have we proven anything to suggest otherwise?

Yeah we have played well during the home & away over the past few seasons, and again this season, but it's all about the business end of the season to prove yourself.

I mean hey, the Saints were "AWESOME" for their 10 wins in a row in 2005, heck, they even made a DVD out of it, where did it get them?

Not a fan of woulda coulda shoulda, more of a fan of "getting it done".

Had we not hit the post, we were in positions to win etc etc, hey, i was in a position to win 50 Million in Tatts the other week, if only i had 6 different numbers etc etc etc etc etc......

Cyberdoggie
24-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I think you also learn a lot from some close losses.
As long as it doesn't become a habit.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Heard the Lyon comment about 1961.

Nearly crashed when l heard that - he should know his stuff.

But 54 is past alot of peoples memory.

AndrewP6
24-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I think our ladder position is about right for where we're at. Would love to be proven wrong!

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I think our ladder position is about right for where we're at. Would love to be proven wrong!

There's a saying in English football -- the table doesn't lie.

Of course, AFL has an uneven draw, skewed further by the selling of home games and the disproportionate homeground advantage non-Victorian teams seem to have.. but over the course of 22 weeks, we tend to find our level, so over the home and away season, we've been the third or fourth best team. Sounds about right.

Finals is a completely different kettle of fish; it's a whole other competition --in F1 parlance, the H&A season just determines where you start on the grid.. you still have to drive the 50+ laps to win.