PDA

View Full Version : If Lake leaves what would be adequate compensation?

chef
24-08-2009, 04:36 PM
For me the best we could hope for would be to two first round draft picks. I can't see Hawthorn giving up Roughead(Dowler and Thorp will be offered) and Sydney doesn't have anything i would want instead of Lake. Hopefully he stays but we are not going to be able match some of the offers he is getting.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Premiership this year:D

Mofra
24-08-2009, 04:46 PM
2 first rounders would be a tough ask for a guy 27+ yrs old. Hay wasn't worth that and he was younger (not every team will be as silly as North).

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 04:47 PM
He isnt going to leave - no compensation required.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Hawks: Dowler and pick 10 perhaps.
Swans: Picks 7 and 25 (Either straight swap or upgrade, pick 25 on-traded for a player)
Port: Pick 8 and either Pearce/Boak/Salopek

In each scenario we then we have to on-trade for a backman. The question is then how good a quality backman can we get for our pick 17 while keeping the lower first rounder?

The Lake Compensation is then a fringe player with potential, another backman and massive upgrade in the first round.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 04:56 PM
2 first rounders would be a tough ask for a guy 27+ yrs old. Hay wasn't worth that and he was younger (not every team will be as silly as North).

And two first rounders from the one club would be hard for that club to organise.

IMO the best we'd get is that club's first rounder and some sweetener eg their second pick for our third round pick etc.

There's no Swans or Hawks player that they would be willing be to trade that I think we'd want.

Roughead would be nice, but I can't see that happening.

mighty_west
24-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Lake is our most important player, so he is worth any other teams most important or there abouts.

chef
24-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Could we see a Veale deal type situation? I hope not, but if push comes to shove and we are going to get screwed then I'd be all for it.

jazzadogs
24-08-2009, 05:34 PM
And two first rounders from the one club would be hard for that club to organise.

IMO the best we'd get is that club's first rounder and some sweetener eg their second pick for our third round pick etc.

There's no Swans or Hawks player that they would be willing be to trade that I think we'd want.

Hall? Does he have to be traded in order to continue? I assume that if Brian went to Sydney, Hall would be included in the trade in some way...obviously we would still be looking for a lot more though.

A first rounder must be included. If it's the Swans, I'd say a first round, second round plus Hall would be sufficient. If he decides to leave, there's not much we can do apart from hope for the best.

I would hate to see a Nick Stevens situation, where we let him go for nothing into the PSD.

But I still maintain a high percentage of hope that he would not leave this group.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Trading an established player like Lake for draft picks is speculative & may take years to bear fruit.

I'd want to be compensated with an established player/s who are going to help me now, not in 3 or 4 years time.

comrade
24-08-2009, 05:47 PM
If we could somehow manage to snag both Mitch Brown from WCE and Jarryd Roughead from Hawthorn in some convoluted trade package, then I could live with losing Brian.

Anything other than that (or a deal similar) and we’re getting ripped off.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Trading an established player like Lake for draft picks is speculative & may take years to bear fruit.

I'd want to be compensated with an established player/s who are going to help me now, not in 3 or 4 years time.

Agreed, but who would you want from Swans?

Goodes would be off limits, and I don't want someone like Ted Richards or an aging O'Keefe.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Agreed, but who would you want from Swans?

Goodes would be off limits, and I don't want someone like Ted Richards or an aging O'Keefe.

The Swans would need to involve another club in a 3 way deal as there's no one I'd like from Harbour Town.

jazzadogs
24-08-2009, 05:56 PM
The Swans would need to involve another club in a 3 way deal as there's no one I'd like from Harbour Town.
If that was the case, you'd assume the Swans would be moving on draft picks? They don't really have any players that any team would be willing to give up too much for, ie no young future guns. They have a solid team, but no stand outs.

What key backs would be acceptable replacements? Given the sparcity of KPB, you wouldn't think there'd be too many teams willing to trade them away. Or would we have to settle for a key forward, and hope that everything else works out?

Happy Days
24-08-2009, 06:01 PM
If we could somehow manage to snag both Mitch Brown from WCE and Jarryd Roughead from Hawthorn in some convoluted trade package, then I could live with losing Brian.

Anything other than that (or a deal similar) and we’re getting ripped off.

Lake, First and Second pick to Hawks.

Roughead, Hawks first pick to Dogs.

Hawks first pick & Hill/Everitt to Eagles for Brown.

Do-able?

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Do-able?
My Pelchan sensors are tingling... So, take out Roughead and insert Boyle, and take out their first rounder and add in an old pair of Dermie's socks or some of Dunstall's pubes stuck to a bar of soap (but not both), and we're close to Pelchan's final offer.

I hope we don't trade with the knob-jockey.

comrade
24-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Do-able?

Nice one.

Would hate to lose Hill, but could live with Everitt moving on.

That would leave us with our first pick in the draft being around the 40-45 mark, but we’d have a great young KPD and a superstar KPF.

Absolute pipe dream, but that would definitely be a win for us (and therefore won’t happen).

Happy Days
24-08-2009, 06:16 PM
My Pelchan sensors are tingling... So, take out Roughead and insert Boyle, and take out their first rounder and add in an old pair of Dermie's socks or some of Dunstall's pubes stuck to a bar of soap, and we're close to Pelchan's final offer.

I hope we don't trade with the knob-jockey.

This is true, and it's a speculative offer to any club, but the Hawks reallllllllllly need a backman.

I don't think Brown is up for sale anyway.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 06:22 PM
some of Dunstall's pubes stuck to a bar of soap (

Hey, I just had a late lunch before reading this! :D

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Do-able?

Interesting but can't see either KPP leaving WCE and Hawks.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Interesting but can't see either KPP leaving WCE and Hawks.
Exactly. I think in all seriousness Sydeny is the front runner, if $550,000 a year x 5 years is even near true, Brian would be crazy not to consider it.

So if we're talking dealing with Sydney:

We want pick 7, 25 and Hall.
For Lake and pick 35.

Then we have two years of Hall, and #7 kid. I say look at trading pick 17 and 25 for a mature KPP backman and a mature outside player. Perhaps the combo of a mature defender and a runner from a club that needs to rebuild. Perhaps something SIMILAR TO 'Thurstans and Salopek' or 'A tall north defender and Danny Wells' (Not specifically those players, but you see what i mean, a tall back and runing player - names for illustration purposes only).

Topdog
24-08-2009, 06:32 PM
that they would be willing be to trade[/B] that I think we'd want.

The Roughnut is out of contract too.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Hawks don't look anywhere near as dangerous without the other twin tower. No way Pelchan is trading him off, no matter the need of a FB.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Do-able?

Would not trade Hill.

Just my opinion, but we are yet to see the very very best of him.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Hawks don't look anywhere near as dangerous without the other twin tower. No way Pelchan is trading him off, no matter the need of a FB.

What he said. The Hawks are pricks to trade with.

Dry Rot
24-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Exactly. I think in all seriousness Sydeny is the front runner, if $550,000 a year x 5 years is even near true, Brian would be crazy not to consider it.

So if we're talking dealing with Sydney:

We want pick 7, 25 and Hall.
For Lake and pick 35.

Then we have two years of Hall, and #7 kid. I say look at trading pick 17 and 25 for a mature KPP backman and a mature outside player. Perhaps the combo of a mature defender and a runner from a club that needs to rebuild. Perhaps something SIMILAR TO 'Thurstans and Salopek' or 'A tall north defender and Danny Wells' (Not specifically those players, but you see what i mean, a tall back and runing player - names for illustration purposes only).

If we did the above, what would it take to get Brown from WCE? Pick 7 and 25 for Brown and their third rounder? Would we be paying way over the odds?

Topdog
24-08-2009, 06:40 PM

And if he says he wants to leave?

mighty_west
24-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Would not trade Hill.

Just my opinion, but we are yet to see the very very best of him.

Agree, i'd trade Everitt way before Joshy Hill, he's going to be something special.

GVGjr
24-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Whilst nobody wants him to leave, a player and a first round draft pick is about the best we could hope for.
Just remember the more players involved the more likely that it will be screwed up at the last minute with one of them having second thoughts.

anfo27
24-08-2009, 07:28 PM
What about Jess White from the swans? Big boy who can take a mark & has pace, but can't see the swans trading him

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I'd be shattered if Hill got traded

Happy Days
24-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I like Hill alot too, but we're going to have to give up something to get something.

Someone else on another thread (apologies to whoever it was) stated the example the Cats set; they were fans of Brett Moloney, but had their priorities in order and did what they had to so they could become a serious contender.

GVGjr
24-08-2009, 07:35 PM
What about Jess White from the swans? Big boy who can take a mark & has pace, but can't see the swans trading him

They can't afford to let him go so he won't be offered.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd be shattered if Hill got traded

We know by your name! ;)

BulldogBelle
24-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I like Hill alot too, but we're going to have to give up something to get something.

Someone else on another thread (apologies to whoever it was) stated the example the Cats set; they were fans of Brett Moloney, but had their priorities in order and did what they had to so they could become a serious contender.

Lake is very different to Moloney

Lake is potentially an All-Australian full back, whilst Moloney was a promising midfielder in a team with a glut of quality midfielders

If we lost Lake and picked up Matt McGuire or another senior/experienced player to play FB I would be happy, he with a fit Williams and Morris would be OK....(not suggesting that McGuire for Lake is an option)

Lake will be the All-Australian full back this season and we should be compensated fairly if he chose to depart

Lake for Roughead would be OK
Dogs get Roughead, Swans get Lake, Hawks get picks?
Lake for Mitch Brown plus an early pick would also be OK

We still need to chase Hall regardless...Hall will be around for 1 season, 2 max...

We are in a premieship window which will close at the end of 2010-11

We need to replace Lake with senior players, and not a glut of rookies

GVGjr
24-08-2009, 08:08 PM

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I agree. We will need a replacement but really we should be asking why we haven't got the depth on our own list. That being said, getting a 1st round draft pick might be the best we can get for him.

lemmon
24-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Good young key position player and a pick in the top 7, no less.

Mantis
24-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I would like a good key defender in the 22-25 age bracket and a pick inside the first 25.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 08:23 PM
We know by your name! ;)

Is it that obvious?:p

Happy Days
24-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Lake is very different to Moloney

Lake is potentially an All-Australian full back, whilst Moloney was a promising midfielder in a team with a glut of quality midfielders

If we lost Lake and picked up Matt McGuire or another senior/experienced player to play FB I would be happy, he with a fit Williams and Morris would be OK....(not suggesting that McGuire for Lake is an option)

Lake will be the All-Australian full back this season and we should be compensated fairly if he chose to depart

Lake for Roughead would be OK
Dogs get Roughead, Swans get Lake, Hawks get picks?
Lake for Mitch Brown plus an early pick would also be OK

We still need to chase Hall regardless...Hall will be around for 1 season, 2 max...

Was comparing Moloney to Hill, not Lake.

Dancin' Douggy
24-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Lake won't go.

comrade
24-08-2009, 08:29 PM

I disagree.

Our window will stay open when guys like Grant, Cordy, Jones, Boumann and Roughead have physically developed and are capable of having an impact at the highest level.

Combine that with a midfield that will be peaking and we should be right for years beyond 2010/11.

We do need to shore up our future defence, as there are some ageing players down there, but I'm confident the window will be open for a while yet.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Lake won't go.

I agree.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I disagree.

Our window will open when guys like Grant, Cordy, Jones, Boumann and Roughead have physically developed and are capable of having an impact at the highest level.

Combine that with a midfield that will be peaking and we should be right for years beyond 2010/11.

We do need to shore up our future defence, as there are some ageing players down there, but I'm confident the window will be open for a while yet.

It's too hard to say how long a premiership window is open for. We could get the spoon next year for all we know. Look at the Eagles a couple of years ago, or even the Hawks this year. If you look at the Eagles of 2005/2006 they should still be winning premierships.

Screw 2011+ That's for Simon Dalrymple to worry about. We're in a position to win the GF now, so lets not worry about what our back line will look like in a few years, and enjoy the remaining 3-5 games of 2009.

(By the way, I'm sorry for taking the discussion further off track.)

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Why are some people 100% confident in the re-signing of Lake, and others completely unsure?
Is there something im not being told?

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Why are some people 100% confident in the re-signing of Lake, and others completely unsure?
Is there something im not being told?

Unless one of the posters on WOOF is Brian Lake (if this is the case, hi Brian!), it's all speculation. It all comes down to Brian Lake's character. If i was in Brian Lake's position, I'd only play for significantly less money if;
a) It was the team I'd dreamt about playing for and winning a GF with as a kid (in my case Bulldogs obviously, don't know about Lake)
b) The team i was with was a genuine chance at winning a grand final and the bidding teams weren't.
c) I was in a solid position financially and saw no real benefit in gaining a few extra hundred thousand a year (although I doubt there's many people like that, everyone wants more)

BulldogBelle
24-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Its Brian here

There was one club that said they would recruit me if I had some surgery

That club gave me a chance, and developed me into one of the best full backs in the competition

Its the club where all of my mates are

And when I'm getting taxed at 50 cents in a dollar, the extra money (100k difference) wont make tooooo much of a difference

And I have a close relationship with the head coach, who has helped me take my game to the next level

Loyalty

I may win a flag with the group in 2009....2010 and 2011 also look great!

Its not Brian actually, but there are some reasons for Brian to stay

Dancin' Douggy
24-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Its Brian here

That club gave me a chance, and developed me into one of the best full backs in the competition

And when I'm getting taxed at 50 cents in a dollar, the extra money (100k difference) wont make tooooo much of a difference

And I have a close relationship with the head coach, who has helped me take my game to the next level

Loyalty

And I can't think of any high profile player who walked for more money and did well out of it.
Nathan Brown. Dean Solomon? Any others?
It just very rare for players to do it.

Topdog
25-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I agree. We will need a replacement but really we should be asking why we haven't got the depth on our own list. That being said, getting a 1st round draft pick might be the best we can get for him.

Well Wight never developed how we would have hoped and really when your FB is 27years old with at least 3 more years to play this is when we would start to look for more replacements in our young guys. Not much point drafting for another FB when your FB is a gun and only 25 years old so I have no qualms with us not having an adequate back up at the moment.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Well Wight never developed how we would have hoped and really when your FB is 27years old with at least 3 more years to play this is when we would start to look for more replacements in our young guys. Not much point drafting for another FB when your FB is a gun and only 25 years old so I have no qualms with us not having an adequate back up at the moment.

What happens if injury strikes?

Not that we should have another FB as such but surely a small stock of quality, hardened and experienced tall backmen is a key requirement for a well-balanced side.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=Dog House;108295]Its Brian here

Loyalty

Hey Dog House, love your work - I hope that Brian read this :D

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 02:19 PM
dog house, maybe you should send brian a heartfelt letter with the contents of your piggy bank?
i've already got mine stamped and addressed!

Remi Moses
25-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Its Brian here

Loyalty

I agree,just take a peek at ex Brisbane players who were offered more coin from other clubs but stayed at a triple premiership team. More notoriety with success than taking the extra money. The obsession with this is becoming tedious in the extreme in all honesty:eek:

Topdog
25-08-2009, 05:26 PM
What happens if injury strikes?

Not that we should have another FB as such but surely a small stock of quality, hardened and experienced tall backmen is a key requirement for a well-balanced side.

If he gets injured Wight would have to play this year. He isn't brilliant but he could have done a job. or we would have fast tracked someone like Boumann. If Williams was constantly fit we simply would have moved him to FB and played as normal.

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Its Brian here

Loyalty

When you look at it from that perspective how could you leave?

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 05:52 PM
If he gets injured Wight would have to play this year. He isn't brilliant but he could have done a job. or we would have fast tracked someone like Boumann. If Williams was constantly fit we simply would have moved him to FB and played as normal.

Yep, which is why I thought it was good that Wight stayed on the list, despite my criticism of his performances last year, and also why I'm thinking that we can't get rid of him if Brian leaves.

Big_Willba
25-08-2009, 06:40 PM

i would much rather fast track boumann IMO.

GVGjr
25-08-2009, 06:47 PM
i would much rather fast track boumann IMO.

Fast tracking him by throwing him into the deep end regardless if he is ready or not?
Or do you have another idea?

Big_Willba
25-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Fast tracking him by throwing him into the deep end regardless if he is ready or not?
Or do you have another idea?

i meant rather than playing wight............... haha. i wouldn't want to throw boumann into the mix until later next year.

GVGjr
25-08-2009, 06:54 PM
i meant rather than playing wight............... haha. i wouldn't want to throw boumann into the mix until later next year.

So what is the plan to fast track Boumann?

GVGjr
25-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Lets get back to the thread title, what could we realistically get for Brian Lake if he was to leave us?

Big_Willba
25-08-2009, 06:55 PM
So what is the plan to fast track Boumann?

No plan. If the choice came to play Wight or fast track Boumann i would choose to fast track Boumann. That is all.

LostDoggy
26-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Lets get back to the thread title, what could we realistically get for Brian Lake if he was to leave us?

Two first-rounders at a minimum, I would have thought.

One established club leader just below superstar status (must be a key position player) + one later first round/early second rounder would be a fair trade.

Brian Lake would be to the Dogs what Travis Cloke would be to the Pies, or Kosi to the Saints, or Roughead/Rioli to the Hawks, so it would have to be in that range, one would think.

Realistically? Middling first round pick + out-of-contract established key position player in three-way trade (Hale?).

--

By the way, Lakey, Jonathan Brown (remember him?) turned down way more money and a far longer contract from Collingwood and Carlton to stay at at the Lions. If it's good enough for Browny...

LostDoggy
26-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Came across this article on superfooty.com.au, some insight from Paul Roos. This at least gives us a hint as to what we can expect from Sydney come trade time.

"A lot of talk is about all our players going and how much money we've got," Roos said.

"There's no such thing as free agency, so there's got to be a reason a player leaves (a club to go to another).

"Generally by now you know which players might be leaving - so certainly, in terms of the war chest, we will keep it for another day, to be honest.

"We will try and get a couple of quality kids, at least, but we will probably have six, seven or eight spots at the end of the year up for some younger players.

"But at this stage, it will be unlikely we will be spending too much money on players from other clubs."

Bulldogs fullback Brian Lake has been touted as a potential replacement for Barry but Roos said he expected the defender to stay at his current club.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25980699-19775,00.html

azabob
26-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Realistically we could maybe get a first round pick or a young player who has just been recently drafted such as Travis Boak and maybe and another player such as Troy Chaplin or a 2nd round pick.

I doubt we would get more than that, also we need to keep in mind depending what club is chasing him, he may nominate for the pre season draft.

GVGjr
26-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Realistically we could maybe get a first round pick or a young player who has just been recently drafted such as Travis Boak and maybe and another player such as Troy Chaplin or a 2nd round pick.

I doubt we would get more than that, also we need to keep in mind depending what club is chasing him, he may nominate for the pre season draft.

That's a very real prospect. Whilst I think he will stay, we need to be flexible and a first round pick and a sweetener might be the best we can hope for.

Hot_Doggies
28-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I would be 'happy' with a first round pick and maybe a later round upgrade.

I don't think we have a serious chance of winning the flag in the next 2-3yrs anyway, so the more quality kids the better.

comrade
28-08-2009, 05:38 PM

I don't think we have a serious chance of winning the flag in the next 2-3yrs anyway, so the more quality kids the better.

Top four twice in a row, with a gun midfield yet to peak, a solid defensive group and a forward line that only requires one or two of our developing kids to jump out of the box a bit quicker than expected (with perhaps Barry Hall just around the corner) - I'd say we're a big show for the next 2 or 3 years.

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd expect a good pick (1st round) and a decent player.

Lake is very highly rated by other supporters / teams and will be AA full back this year.

Having said that, I think he's staying.

BulldogBelle
28-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Top four twice in a row, with a gun midfield yet to peak, a solid defensive group and a forward line that only requires one or two of our developing kids to jump out of the box a bit quicker than expected (with perhaps Barry Hall just around the corner) - I'd say we're a big show for the next 2 or 3 years.

l will second that.

l now so many things can happen year to year but we are close.

strebla
28-08-2009, 08:27 PM

What planet have you been on we are cherry ripe for the next 3 years you must be watching a different side to me.