PDA

View Full Version : Damien Hardwick to coach Richmond Football Club

The Coon Dog
25-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Damien Hardwick to coach Richmond Football Club (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25981494-19742,00.html)

Mike Sheahan | August 25, 2009 07:35pm

BREAKING NEWS: DAMIEN Hardwick will be the new Richmond coach.

The appointment of the Essendon and Port Adelaide premiership player will be announced at Punt Rd tomorrow morning.

Hardwick, assistant to Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn for the past five years, beat Geelong assistant Ken Hinkley for the last coaching vacancy in the AFL.

He will succeed Jade Rawlings, who has filled in since Terry Wallace stepped down mid-season and will complete his duties in Round 22.

Hardwick, just turned 37, is expected to be appointed for three years.

He and Hinkley were advised of the decision tonight.

The Richmond administration promised a long and thorough process, and delivered.

Rest of article... (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25981494-19742,00.html)

LostDoggy
25-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm glad he got the job i thought he would have got the Essendon job a few years back

Congratulations Damien Hardwick and good luck

SPower
26-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Wish him well, with a history that they have over the past 15 years
the god's will have to shine on him.
Massive job and would not wish it on my worst enemy.

LostDoggy
26-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Best of luck
he'll need it..

Throughandthrough
26-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Hardwick played a few games for the SANFL team I follow (Glenelg).

Never met the guy, BUT a few ppl I know who have dealt with him in the past @ Glenelg, Port and Box Hill have nothing but admiration for him. Apparently a top bloke and very, very well respected by the ppl that matter.

The Underdog
26-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Congratulations to Damien. He came originally from the same local club as I did, although he was a few years ahead so I never knew him. His dad was the u18's coach there for a long time and was massively respected and very successful (in the 3 years I played under him we won 2 premierships and came runners up in a year where the only game we lost was the GF). If he's got any of his old man's coaching genes he'll make a real go of it, as well as display some white line fever.
I may even hate the tigers a little bit less.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2009, 11:13 AM
My mum always said, "Be careful what you wish for".

Mantis
26-08-2009, 12:26 PM
He sounded pretty impressive in his presser.

From the sound of his voice I wouldn't like to be a current player who lacks a little courage and drive as you may find your way onto the scrapheap ( Looking at you Jordy)

Cyberdoggie
26-08-2009, 02:09 PM
What do you think would be a reasonable expectation for Richmond to finish next year?

Obviously being a new coach might give him some slack but I would of thought a min 9th position? :rolleyes:

If they show absolutely no improvement next year i think they will eat their young.

Remi Moses
26-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I reckon the majority of their supporters will give hardwick time. Jordy and Judas look doomed I'd imagine,they need a cleanout urgently

bulldogtragic
26-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I reckon the majority of their supporters will give hardwick time. Jordy and Judas look doomed I'd imagine,they need a cleanout urgently
Yeah, Hardwick seems the sort to cut through with a hot knife. I wonder how he will handle the 'Richo' situation???

mighty_west
26-08-2009, 05:22 PM

From the sound of his voice I wouldn't like to be a current player who lacks a little courage and drive as you may find your way onto the scrapheap ( Looking at you Jordy)

Yeah, him & Brad Scott have something in common there, both hard nuts as players and will no doubt be their main focus as coaches, i reckon they'll both do well.

In contrast, Wallace loved fast running midfielders, i reckon i know which game style i would pick to win Premierships!

bulldogtragic
26-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, him & Brad Scott have something in common there, both hard nuts as players and will no doubt be their main focus as coaches, i reckon they'll both do well.

In contrast, Wallace loved fast running midfielders, i reckon i know which game style i would pick to win Premierships!
Fast running midfielders?

GetDimmaBack
26-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Succes seems to go wherever he goes, but boy, he has a job ahead of him to change the culture of that club!

Who could they possibly turn to if Hardwick doesn't get it right?

And won't the Tiger ferals give him a fun time if things don't go to plan!

I wouldn't want to be a coach at all, let alone coach of RFC...

Fortunately, no-one will ever ask me to coach either...

anfo27
26-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I think Hardwick is a good get for the tigers. A bit disappointed though, I was hoping Jade would get the nod & keep Richmond as the village idiots they are. Its a massive job ahead of him though, dont think he will be able to cut too many with the weak drafts ahead. He is just going to have to work with what his got.

GVGjr
27-08-2009, 07:51 AM

He was impressive and given he is now on record of placing the winning of contested football a priority players like McMahon won't have long to show him that they are capable of it.
It's always harder to put these words into action but if he is capable of getting this group to respond they might start to make some improvements.

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I was interested in some of his speech. Gave the media and the richmond people what they wanted to hear, when he assessed the team as on the edge of greatness. I don't think thats the case.
I also hear people say that Richmond have a good midfield, Cousins has been excellent but who else is there? Delidio is ok but Tambling isn't. I don't think they have a class ruck either.

Mantis
27-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I also hear people say that Richmond have a good midfield, Cousins has been excellent but who else is there? Delidio is ok but Tambling isn't. I don't think they have a class ruck either.

Tambling has been good in a role across HB. Foley is pretty good in the middle (has struggled with his body this year) and Cotchin looks a likely type. Tuck has been a solid contibutor over the journey, but butchers the ball. Their midfield certainly isn't the worst going around.

Simmonds up until this year has been pretty serviceable in the ruck. Vickery & Graham look like 2 pretty good long term options.

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Tambling has been good in a role across HB. Foley is pretty good in the middle (has struggled with his body this year) and Cotchin looks a likely type. Tuck has been a solid contibutor over the journey, but butchers the ball. Their midfield certainly isn't the worst going around.

Simmonds up until this year has been pretty serviceable in the ruck. Vickery & Graham look like 2 pretty good long term options.

Forgot Cotchin still wouldn't think they are in the top 8 of midfields.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2009, 01:22 PM
He was impressive and given he is now on record of placing the winning of contested football a priority players like McMahon won't have long to show him that they are capable of it.
It's always harder to put these words into action but if he is capable of getting this group to respond they might start to make some improvements.

I heard him on SEN last night and he sounded like Grant Thomas - it was all about 'getting the process right', 'going forward' and 'blueprint for the future'.

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I heard him on SEN last night and he sounded like Grant Thomas - it was all about 'getting the process right', 'going forward' and 'blueprint for the future'.

He learnt from his past mistakes, he was too honest with Essendon when he went of the job there, now he spun it as much as possible.