PDA

View Full Version : Fixture proposal

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that the AFL were thinking of changing the fixture for 2012 so the last 7 weeks are 'floating'. From what I hear they play each other once in the first 17 weeks then the last 7 weeks the top 8 play each other and the bottom 8 play each other. Apparently it happens in the Scotish premier league but they don't have a finals series.
The bottom half team teams would get a huge advantage to make the 8 over the 8,7,6,etc placed teams as they only play the worse sides.

Thinking it through, it would only work if the final 8 is set after 17 weeks and you play for a position after that, which casues other issues.

Mofra
27-08-2009, 11:36 AM
That's pretty harsh on teams who are sitting 8th on percentage only after 17 rounds.

Axe Man
27-08-2009, 01:03 PM
If a team is sitting just inside the 8 after 15 or 16 rounds they would be better off tanking so they drop out to ensure a nice easy ride into the finals:eek:

Like you say the final 8 would have to be set after 17 rounds, but that sounds ridiculous - season over for half the clubs very early. So many problems with this idea I wont even begin to list them.

jazzadogs
27-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I think the idea of a floating fixture is fair, but they would need to make each team play half top 8 and half bottom 8. So maybe if all the odd places on the ladder play each other, and all the even places on the ladder play each other?

Gotta be better than the system atm.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2009, 01:35 PM
So when there's 17 teams in the comp, the top 8 play each other, the bottom 8 play each other and the team that's 9th (Richmond, obviously) goes to the pub?

bornadog
27-08-2009, 01:49 PM
How about each team plays each other once, and the rest is the luck of a draw, now that would be a novelty

The Underdog
27-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Here's an article in the Hun about it.
There is so much wrong with pretty much every suggestion in here I think I'd be tempted to just give it away.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25986908-19742,00.html

mighty_west
27-08-2009, 03:16 PM
How about each team plays each other once, and the rest is the luck of a draw, now that would be a novelty

When we have an 18 team comp with Gold Coast & West Sydney joining, howabout teams play each other only once, 17 game season, even things out over 2 seasons, so if we play Brisbane at the Gabba one year, the next it will be played at the Dome etc etc.

All teams have an even spread of games in their home stage and away interstate games meaning Collingwood have to play just as many interstate games as any other side.

Have 2 breaks throughout the season and another week break before the finals series to ensure that all teams going into the finals will have time to get players as fit as they could be.

During the second mid season break, really showcase the under 18's championships.

Geelong & The Saints have proven that you don't need the so called 4 big clubs to play twice a season for blockbuster games or big crowds, if the Dogs v Pies game this weekend was played at the G, i have no doubt there would be 60,000-70,000 plus.

Besides, the modern game showcases more blockbuster type games anyway when Freo play West Coast, Crows v Port and i'm sure Brisbane & Gold Coast going hammer & tong, the big clash between the Swans & the team out west!

bornadog
27-08-2009, 03:36 PM
When we have an 18 team comp with Gold Coast & West Sydney joining, howabout teams play each other only once, 17 game season, even things out over 2 seasons, so if we play Brisbane at the Gabba one year, the next it will be played at the Dome etc etc.

All teams have an even spread of games in their home stage and away interstate games meaning Collingwood have to play just as many interstate games as any other side.

Have 2 breaks throughout the season and another week break before the finals series to ensure that all teams going into the finals will have time to get players as fit as they could be.

During the second mid season break, really showcase the under 18's championships.

Geelong & The Saints have proven that you don't need the so called 4 big clubs to play twice a season for blockbuster games or big crowds, if the Dogs v Pies game this weekend was played at the G, i have no doubt there would be 60,000-70,000 plus.

Besides, the modern game showcases more blockbuster type games anyway when Freo play West Coast, Crows v Port and i'm sure Brisbane & Gold Coast going hammer & tong, the big clash between the Swans & the team out west!

Absolutely agree. We have had some massive crowds at Eithad this season, with 40,000 plus crowds and a 51,000 with Collingwood. I bet Vlad didn't think that would happen when the AFL negotiated a deal there a few years ago.

Topdog
27-08-2009, 04:12 PM
So in other words it is going to be more rigged than it already is.

This part was particularly worrying

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou yesterday revealed to the Herald Sun consideration was being given to many fixturing possibilities, including a nine, or even 10, team finals series

Also if teams in the top 8 play each other to increase broadcasting won't the opposite happen to the teams in the bottom 8. imagine Melbourne playing Freo and WC every 2nd week.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2009, 05:26 PM

17 rounds? Are you kidding me? Do you realise what this would do to the TV rights?

The Pie Man
27-08-2009, 05:41 PM
So when there's 17 teams in the comp, the top 8 play each other, the bottom 8 play each other and the team that's 9th (Richmond, obviously) goes to the pub?

(to the Yellow & Black part of the Richmond theme song)

Bourbon & Coke!

Would they ever consider the conference idea?

For example

BNE, GC, SYD, WSYD, COLL, ESS, RICH, CARL, HAW &
WCE, FRE, ADE, PTA, GEE, WB, NM, MEL, STK
(or alternate/better grouping)

Each team plays it's conference members twice, and the other conference teams once, rotating the home team annually. Would still be a 25 game season

Go_Dogs
27-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Not a fan of this idea - seems very dumb to me. You'd be better off sitting towards the lower end of the ladder and building up with 7 wins to finish the season. Not going to encourage good performances, and really, what benefit is there, besides maybe offering further assistance to clubs doing poorly by inflating their ladder position?

Possibly the worst idea I've heard all year.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Would they ever consider the conference idea?

For example

BNE, GC, SYD, WSYD, COLL, ESS, RICH, CARL, HAW &
WCE, FRE, ADE, PTA, GEE, WB, NM, MEL, STK
(or alternate/better grouping)

Each team plays it's conference members twice, and the other conference teams once, rotating the home team annually. Would still be a 25 game season

I've been telling anyone who'd listen we should have been using conferences for years. it works perfectly with 16 team comps but not so smoothly with 18 teams.

With 18 teams you need 3 conferences of 6 which makes the finals more difficult.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I've been telling anyone who'd listen we should have been using conferences for years. it works perfectly with 16 team comps but not so smoothly with 18 teams.

With 18 teams you need 3 conferences of 6 which makes the finals more difficult.

Could you not just take the top 4 from both 9 team conferences? Or perhaps the best 8 performers from either conference (so that if one is significantly stronger, the better teams still play finals)?

Obviously, getting the mix for the conferences even would be a very difficult task.

mighty_west
27-08-2009, 06:32 PM
17 rounds? Are you kidding me? Do you realise what this would do to the TV rights?

Nope, not kidding you.

They want to introduce Monday Night Football on a more regular basis, that will be big for TV especially, the market opening up for the Gold Coast & West Sydney area's, there used to be a massive rival between Vic clubs, Collingwood v Carlton, Richmond v Carlton, Essendon v Collingwood in the 70's & 80's, but that has dominished to a point, since the competition went National, to only play those games once per season as well would generate alot more interest as a one off per season.

Perhaps they could also re-introduce State Of Origin either before the main season or the first break, with a shorter season, that could also be an option.

With the tv rights, those extra showcase games & the fact that this deal would generate a more quality over quantity package, the way the game has been growing over the past 10-20 years, Television stations would fight all the way to secure the rights, they know how big this game is and how much money they generate by having the rights, having the less games won't be an issue as long as there is strong competition imo.

Hotdog60
27-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Drop the pre season games and everybody plays each other twice, in a 18 team comp we get 36 home and away games. That way I get more footy to watch....
Can't help it I'm addicted..:)

Mantis
27-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Drop the pre season games and everybody plays each other twice, in a 18 team comp we get 36 home and away games. That way I get more footy to watch....
Can't help it I'm addicted..:)

Maths obviously isn't a strong point.

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Could you not just take the top 4 from both 9 team conferences? Or perhaps the best 8 performers from either conference (so that if one is significantly stronger, the better teams still play finals)?

Obviously, getting the mix for the conferences even would be a very difficult task.

Of course you could but you're back to having to fit in too many games.

8 x 2 = 16
9 x 1 = 9
= 25 game season.

What happens when your team loses their first 8 games? It would be a very long season.

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Nope, not kidding you.

They want to introduce Monday Night Football on a more regular basis, that will be big for TV especially, the market opening up for the Gold Coast & West Sydney area's, there used to be a massive rival between Vic clubs, Collingwood v Carlton, Richmond v Carlton, Essendon v Collingwood in the 70's & 80's, but that has dominished to a point, since the competition went National, to only play those games once per season as well would generate alot more interest as a one off per season.

Perhaps they could also re-introduce State Of Origin either before the main season or the first break, with a shorter season, that could also be an option.

With the tv rights, those extra showcase games & the fact that this deal would generate a more quality over quantity package, the way the game has been growing over the past 10-20 years, Television stations would fight all the way to secure the rights, they know how big this game is and how much money they generate by having the rights, having the less games won't be an issue as long as there is strong competition imo.

Sorry, I was being facetious.

Considering that the AFL is more concerned about making cash rather than running a fair and equitable competition, I was commenting on how the AFL would respond to making less money rather than more - AD would grab at his chest and collapse at the thought.

Dazza
28-08-2009, 03:03 AM
The AFL is going bananas. Wish they'd just leave the game alone.

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 06:53 AM
The AFL is going bananas. Wish they'd just leave the game alone.

I agree..leave it like the original AFL!
Don't wanna make the game too complex otherwise noone is interested!

Hotdog60
28-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Maths obviously isn't a strong point.

LOL, School wasn't a strong point:D

Bumper Bulldogs
30-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I think it should be based on the previous years ladder, with all sides playing each other once then the top 6 playing each other a second time. That should sort out the ratings.

Still like the idea of some sort of NAB cup as we get the first look at the next crop coming through.

Hope the Maths stack up on this;)