PDA

View Full Version : Anzac Day game

Dry Rot
25-04-2007, 02:20 PM
What's it like to go to one?

Atmosphere looks huge - I'd love to go to one some day.

dog town
25-04-2007, 02:32 PM
What's it like to go to one?

Atmosphere looks huge - I'd love to go to one some day. I have been to 3 grand finals and a couple of anzac day games and I have to say the anzac day game has a much better atmosphere. Grand final is mostly neutrals so you dont get the same volume of noise. Enjoyed the anzac games more myself. Amazing when 95,000 people stay quiet for an entire minute.

Dry Rot
25-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Very enjoyable so far. Skills may not be flash, but the intensity is great. Good Pies fight back.

Bulldog Revolution
25-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Only watched the last quarter but I thought both teams looked ordinary - if we cant beat both of them when we are up and running I will be disappointed

firstdogonthemoon
25-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I had a brain fade - tipped the bombers to win by 60 points - what was I thinking - for the first 15 minutes I was a genius and then it wore off

dog town
25-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Both teams pretty well drilled and both teams coaches always have a trademark style. Bombers always pretty efficient inside 50 and might not get alot of the ball but are just clinical with their finishing. Pies always get numbers around the pack and are very good at taking the ball away from traffic. Pies dont play what alot of people would say is entertaining but I enjoy watching what Malthouse can extract from them. Makes some pretty ordinary players look good. Malthouse sides always do old fashioned footy things well.

LostDoggy
26-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Collingwood were easily the better side on the day. Their backline were just to good for the Bomber forward line. The final score flattered the Bombers as the Pies missed so many easy shots.
Mal Michael is finished, so slow and way too defensive these days. James Hird might be too.
Not sure what Kepler Bradley is.
I really don't know how the Bombers have won 3 games so far.

GVGjr
26-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Collingwood were easily the better side on the day. Their backline were just to good for the Bomber forward line. The final score flattered the Bombers as the Pies missed so many easy shots.
Mal Michael is finished, so slow and way too defensive these days. James Hird might be too.
Not sure what Kepler Bradley is.
I really don't know how the Bombers have won 3 games so far.

I would hardly call the Pies defensive talls as great players but they stuck to their task brilliantly and shut down the strong Bombers forwards.
I hope Eade can duplicate how Malthouse shut them down when we play them.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I liked the look of young Davey early on for the Bombers. Dale Thomas and Pendlebury are going to be excellent young players for the Pies - Cox, Dick and Toovey all look reasonably good too.

LostDoggy
26-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I think we could beat either side because we have a better midfield that both.
I don't think either side has a quality ruck as well.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think either side has a quality ruck as well.

Do we?

I don't think Scott Burns has been playing too badly in the midfield for the Pies - although he is a bit older and slower now. I still think the Dons are a bit weak and slow in that area.

LostDoggy
26-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Do we?
Street and Minson beat Fraser in the final last season. Darcy and Minson are a better combination. Thought Fraser beat Laycock yesterday.

I don't think Scott Burns has been playing too badly in the midfield for the Pies - although he is a bit older and slower now. I still think the Dons are a bit weak and slow in that area.
Burns will always be a good player but only 1 player. Overall our depth here is a lot better.

bornadog
26-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. We are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.

LostDoggy
26-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Totally agree Bornadog

Go_Dogs
26-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I read a suggestion in the Advertiser last week that said the ANZAC game should be the re-match of last years grand finalists. I think this has some merit, especially given that a lot of teams don't get much opportunity to play on the MCG these days, especially interstate clubs. It would certainly make the game a higher standard too.

GVGjr
26-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. We are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.

Would the game draw 90,000 if it was the Bulldogs vs Pies or Bombers? My guess is no.
We get compensated for it with the balance fund but as you say it means that we cannot develop the club as quickly as others might.
I would imagine we could negotiate for better sponsorship deals if we could say we will be part of the game next year.

It's a winner for the AFL so they are unlikely to tamper with it.

bornadog
26-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Would the game draw 90,000 if it was the Bulldogs vs Pies or Bombers? My guess is no.
We get compensated for it with the balance fund but as you say it means that we cannot develop the club as quickly as others might.
I would imagine we could negotiate for better sponsorship deals if we could say we will be part of the game next year.

It's a winner for the AFL so they are unlikely to tamper with it.

The game may not draw the 90,000, who knows, (last years Dogs v Pies, qualifying final drew almost 90,000), but I bet the television audience would be huge, the publicity and build up is huge.

The point I am making is the smaller clubs are getting weaker and the stronger ones are getting stronger and this is all due to exposure, blockbusters etc. Yes, a club also needs success, but look at the most successful club of the 1990's the Kangaroos, they are being pushed out of Victoria. Why aren't they in blockbusters, especially when they were right up there. The AFL is run by the big clubs, end result maybe 6 clubs left in Victoria, and if we all stand back and watch and accept things like the ANZAC day clash and other staged blockbusters then its going to happen.

GVGjr
26-04-2007, 05:19 PM
The game may not draw the 90,000, who knows, (last years Dogs v Pies, qualifying final drew almost 90,000), but I bet the television audience would be huge, the publicity and build up is huge.

The point I am making is the smaller clubs are getting weaker and the stronger ones are getting stronger and this is all due to exposure, blockbusters etc. Yes, a club also needs success, but look at the most successful club of the 1990's the Kangaroos, they are being pushed out of Victoria. Why aren't they in blockbusters, especially when they were right up there. The AFL is run by the big clubs, end result maybe 6 clubs left in Victoria, and if we all stand back and watch and accept things like the ANZAC day clash and other staged blockbusters then its going to happen.

I note all the points to have raised as correct although I'd ask are the smaller clubs really getting weaker?
The Hawks have rebounded strongly and jumped into the Tassie market with plenty of success, the Cats have overseen a redevelopment of their club and venue and have posted regular profits for a few years now, the Dogs have increased their membership base and sponsorship and must be in line to start positing profits plus the Saints have been building up their club for a few years now.
This means that it's just Melbourne and the Roos that are probably struggling. If the Roos make a go of the Gold Coast venture then they should be OK as well.

I suppose I think the competition is stronger now that it ever has been and while a couple of clubs are getting a free hit to market themselves we just have to find other ways to increase our profile to the point that the AFL sees us as a viable contender for blockbuster games.
The club looked at playing on Monday nights didn't they much like the Roos did all those years ago with Friday night games? Perhaps we should be pushing for the Sunday 5pm games which could increase our profile?

I think we need to find our own way of establishing niche markets ourselves.
Perhaps we could push the AFL for an evening game ANZAC day?

bornadog
26-04-2007, 05:56 PM
GVGGjr, the club is doing just that, getting on with things and trying to get stronger, build up membership and I believe they are doing a good job. I just worry about the future, I mean looking ahead ten years. Will the Kangas be on the gold coast, the Hawks in Tassie, where will we be?.

Maybe the AFL just wants to keep building the blockbusters, not just for the money, but also to get the big clubs stronger and the others to find there way some how, and end up interstate.

GVGjr
26-04-2007, 06:10 PM
GVGGjr, the club is doing just that, getting on with things and trying to get stronger, build up membership and I believe they are doing a good job. I just worry about the future, I mean looking ahead ten years. Will the Kangas be on the gold coast, the Hawks in Tassie, where will we be?.

Maybe the AFL just wants to keep building the blockbusters, not just for the money, but also to get the big clubs stronger and the others to find there way some how, and end up interstate.

My guess is that long term the AFL wants a game in each state each weekend and I suppose in the back of my mind that would be their ideal scenario.

We are playing games in Darwin and Canberra which I'm not sure does much for us from a supporters or sponsorship perspective but it does help pay the bills.

Regarding the ANZAC day games, I don't think the AFL wants to change it around too much because it is so successful but if we can prove that we can sell out the place like the Bombers and Pies do then we deserve our chance. I just don't think we should get first rights to the day because we are perceived as a struggling club and I'd prefer to see us get a chance because we can do as good as job as the other clubs do at filling the stadium.

alwaysadog
26-04-2007, 11:16 PM

I agree two very ordinary sides get to represent everything that's good about AFL football just because they once were warriors. As a show case all it reveals is how certain clubs can manipulate the media, and if you can do that you can commit any sin, including playing crap football.

If there was any justice in football we would have been on show this ANZAC Day.

I think the AFL should take a punt and put on its best act. Like their response to the Drug/ Eagles misbehaviour issue, they have shown themselves to be reactive rather than procative.

But if you look at the conditions they placed in 1924/5 on our entry to the then VFL, it was always thus. Doesn't mean it's fair or clever but it keeps the chattering classes happy.

Who would you pick to play us in a showcase of what's the best of football?

bornadog
26-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Regarding the ANZAC day games, I don't think the AFL wants to change it around too much because it is so successful but if we can prove that we can sell out the place like the Bombers and Pies do then we deserve our chance. I just don't think we should get first rights to the day because we are perceived as a struggling club and I'd prefer to see us get a chance because we can do as good as job as the other clubs do at filling the stadium.

Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing for us to be in the ANZAC day clash, all I am saying is I don't like the draw to be rigged just to set up big clashes. We may as well shut up shop and just let Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Esssendon play each other every week. That will please the TV audience as well as the attendences.

alwaysadog
26-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing for us to be in the ANZAC day clash, all I am saying is I don't like the draw to be rigged just to set up big clashes. We may as well shut up shop and just let Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Esssendon play each other every week. That will please the TV audience as well as the attendences.

Why shouldn't we have been in this showcase when our game is regarded as the purest expression of the contemporary game.

What is a showcase event about. OK I'm naive, I think it's about football and you know it's about ratings. I'll maintain my rage 'till the forces that control the AFL have the courage that you and I show year in year out with our support and love for an unpopular club.

The Dogs will rise up in the West.

bornadog
27-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Why shouldn't we have been in this showcase when our game is regarded as the purest expression of the contemporary game.

What is a showcase event about. OK I'm naive, I think it's about football and you know it's about ratings. I'll maintain my rage 'till the forces that control the AFL have the courage that you and I show year in year out with our support and love for an unpopular club.

The Dogs will rise up in the West.

Agree with everything you have said DR, thank you for backing my view.

I think the dogs are the most exciting team I have ever seen, and thats not pure bias either. Some people I have spoken to who follow other clubs said they really enjoy watching us play. If thats the case then the dogs deserve to play before a huge audience like ANZAC day. Their opponent is a hard one, but why not the Eagles, we have a better chance of beating them on the MCG than in WA.