PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury-Bankstown

Prince Imperial
28-08-2009, 10:18 PM
For the last ten years or so the NRL club Canterbury-Bankstown has been known simply as the Bulldogs but it has been announced today that they will revert back to the full name with the nickname remaining but obviously de-emphasised.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-change-name-back-to-canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs/story-e6frexnr-1225766904295

I don't know about the rest of you but it's often annoyed me when watching national sports show over the years, to hear the "Bulldogs" word pop up and then find they're talking about the NRL club. Very often its involved thuggish behaviour from their fans, salary cap cheating from the administration or indiscretions (to put it mildly) from their players.

I think this is all good news for our club, not only will it help avoid confusion in a lot of cases where they will be referred to just as Canterbury but I think it will strengthen us nationally as the BULLDOG brand and one that has less untarnished connotations caused by that club. Hard to quantify to what extent I know but I think there's got to be some benefit even though they are in another state and in another code.

Canterbury only adopted the Bulldog name in the late 70s, at least half a century after we did and it's far more part of our heritage than theirs; so its good from that perspective as well.

I'm not interested in hearing about the let's go back to Footscray name argument (that will never happen) but would interested to know people's thoughts on the implications for us.

Dry Rot
28-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Old knobs like me used to call them them the Berries. :)

Hotdog60
28-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Try living up north, it gets me all the time and might I say how it goes against the grain to have chuck ball mentioned on an AFL site, shame on you.

Prince Imperial
28-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Try living up north, it gets me all the time and might I say how it goes against the grain to have chuck ball mentioned on an AFL site, shame on you.

Yep, I've lived in NSW so I know how you feel. I hope the CB name back helps a bit.

LostDoggy
29-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Ah yes, I remember the days of the Western Magpies, North Sydney Bears and the Balmain Tigers.

Of Billy Moore screaming out "Queenslander" as he was walking up the tunnel for the State of Origin.

Of Trevor "The Axe" Gillmeister cutting down NSW forwards like Steve Roach, Paul Sironen and Paul Harrogan.

Of Michael Hancock looking as if he's having an epileptic fit while trying to get up and play the ball.

Perhaps the powers that be of Rugby League will remember how great the game was back in the 80's and 90's.

As you can tell, I loved Rugby League - until Super League happened. :(

Dry Rot
29-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Ah yes, I remember the days of the Western Magpies, North Sydney Bears and the Bal

Perhaps the powers that be of Rugby League will remember how great the game was back in the 80's and 90's.

Same here. Was pretty good in the seventies too. My team won a few flags IIRC in 72, 73, 76 and 78. :) Great watching them hold up that cup - a special feeling watching your team win the GF.

Super League killed it and I got into AFL. Don't watch it all now, even though my old team won last year IIRC.

Remi Moses
29-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Great comeback this season from the fore mentioned. They were dreadful last season

mjp
29-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Of Billy Moore screaming out "Queenslander" as he was walking up the tunnel for the State of Origin.
(

This was after super league though, right?

Twodogs
29-08-2009, 01:18 PM

I saw Eric Grothe run almost the length of the pitch in a finals match and score a try against St George in the late '70s. I was hooked on RL and Parramatta from then on but Super League kiled it for me too.

It's RU for me these days.

Dry Rot
29-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I saw Eric Grothe run almost the length of the pitch in a finals match and score a try against St George in the late '70s. I was hooked on RL and Parramatta from then on but Super League kiled it for me too.

Looks like you missed the infamous mutual headbutting incident between Piggins and Reilly in the early 70's in a Souths v Manly game. Great stuff.

Both were sent off, fronted up to the judiciary a few days later, duly suspended and then went and drank beers together.

I miss a good headbutt....

Twodogs
29-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Looks like you missed the infamous mutual headbutting incident between Piggins and Reilly in the early 70's in a Souths v Manly game. Great stuff.

Both were sent off, fronted up to the judiciary a few days later, duly suspended and then went and drank beers together.

Was that George Piggins the guy who was Souths president until Rusty came along? He was a few marshmallows short of a full Rocky Road.

Mofra
29-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Was that George Piggins the guy who was Souths president until Rusty came along? He was a few marshmallows short of a full Rocky Road.
When George cried on TV as he thumped the desk yelling "they can't do it" because of the Rabbitohs expulsion it was one of the single saddest sporting moments I have seen.

Dry Rot
29-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Yep. Headbutting isn't good for you. :D

angelopetraglia
29-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Agree with the OP.

This will definitely help us own the Bulldogs name in this country.

Was not aware that they were simply called the Bulldogs for the last 10 years, as every one normally referred to them as Canterbury.

Good move for us.

Dry Rot
29-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Hope you're not watching tonight.

LostDoggy
29-08-2009, 11:31 PM
This was after super league though, right?

Note sure, but it was the golden days of Rugby League - so many memories - the miracle try from Mark Coyne, Martin Bella getting into the NSW forward's faces.

I tried to look for Trevor Gillmeister tackles on you tube and nothing on. And no Billy Moore
screaming out Queenslander.

And Alfie Langer, throwing out that leg and performing the infamous cumberland throw.

I wish the doggies would employ Gillmeister as our tackling coach. :D

Dry Rot
30-08-2009, 12:49 AM
I wish the doggies would employ Gillmeister as our tackling coach. :D

Or "Cement Gillespie" who IIRC ended Peter Stirling's career.

Remember Stirling's immortal description of him (When Stirlo was a commentator)?