PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson - Great season. Stands up when it matters.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2009, 09:48 PM
How good has Johnson been in the last few weeks. 3 big games against quality opponents.

Importantly, two clutch goals in the last quarter of both the Cats game and Pies game.

His season has been enormous overall.

For Bulldog players he is ranked;

Goal Assists 1st
Marks 2nd
Kicks 2nd
Goals 2nd
Disposals 4th
Inside 50s 4th

33 years old. 346 games. Still going strong. Amazing stuff.

GVGjr
30-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I was about to start a similar thread. He's a champ, possibly the best Bulldog I have seen and his ability to win games for us has been uncanny.

alwaysadog
30-08-2009, 09:58 PM
He is not only playing great football and leading by example but he looks like he could go on forever.

bornadog
30-08-2009, 10:03 PM
He is not only playing great football and leading by example but he looks like he could go on forever.

He is playing like he is 23 not 33, what a champ.

cambo
30-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Agree absolute Champion, kicking the clutch goal was very important for his and our confidence, lets hope he can take home the deserved big one!! How big will his smile be holding up the cup! cant wait to find out!

boydogs
30-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Loved his goal to get us over the 22pt margin
Has given us a lot of momentum going into the finals to play a side we beat what will be only 15 days ago

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Another awesome year, he must be enjoying himself now, we went through a number of seasons where the whole team was riding on his shoulders, if he didnt kick goals we didnt win games, just look at the goal assists.

He is tough as nails as well, the amount of times he gets crunched and gets back up is unreal.

Certainty for a future 'hall of famer', one of the best and fairest in the comp for a long time.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Needs to lift the cup, then his career is complete.

Dazza
30-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Probably the best bulldog I've seen play in my lifetime.

mighty_west
30-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Had a few Pies supporters behind us calling him too old, give it up etc etc, he then fired up and didn't hear another peep from those supporters....funny that!

AndrewP6
30-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Quality game from the champ. A real Captain's game... gotta love him!

jazzadogs
30-08-2009, 10:56 PM
And to think earlier in the year people were calling for him to give up the captaincy, and his career...

Absolute gun, amazing to watch him continue to run around and do genuinely incredible things for a man at an age which usually means 'end your career'.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Needs to lift the cup, then his career is complete.

Ah, that and a Brownlow, but I don't think that's going to happen now! Shame really - what a fantastic clubman and leader he is - great work tonight Johnno! :D

cinder
30-08-2009, 11:03 PM
So many of our great players have had fantastic careers with the Dogs but missed out on a Grand Final and Premiership. It would be brilliant if Johnno could be the one that actually got there - he deserves it!

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I have to agree with what you have all said. Johnno has been my favourite player since way back when (hence the 6 in my ID) and it will be a sad day when he eventually retires. I hope with all my heart that he does get to hold the premiership cup aloft before his playing days are over.

Mantis
31-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Played a really good game tonight, but his playing for frees over the past couple of seasons has done him no favours with the men in white. ( green/ yellow/ red)

He needs to be fair dinkum riden like a horse to get a free kick now-a-days, but in some respect he only has himself to blame.

boydogs
31-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Played a really good game tonight, but his playing for frees over the past couple of seasons has done him no favours with the men in white. ( green/ yellow/ red)

He needs to be fair dinkum riden like a horse to get a free kick now-a-days, but in some respect he only has himself to blame.

They actually decided to give him one today when we played on and they should have called advantage. Missed it too IIRC

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 08:23 AM

He loves his football and he could possibly play for another 2 seasons.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 09:06 AM
We have been extremely fortunate over the last 20 years to see players such as Hawkins, Grant, West and Johnno run around in the Red, White and Blue now lets hope we can not only have individual champions but also a Team of Champions!!!!

I Believe

strebla
31-08-2009, 10:58 AM
We have been extremely fortunate over the last 20 years to see players such as Hawkins, Grant, West and Johnno run around in the Red, White and Blue now lets hope we can not only have individual champions but also a Team of Champions!!!!

I Believe

Smith and Darcy deserve to be added here we are so fortunate to be watching these great players running around!!!!!

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 11:08 AM
We all love Brad, my lingering question is about his ability to put on enough forward pressure and keep his man honest. Most teams seem to play off him and through his opponent with relative ease. But Johno is good for goals too. So i guess if he keeps kicking goals, we don't have to worry too much?

Ozza
31-08-2009, 11:56 AM
He had 22 possies (most of them in dangerous positions) and kicked 4 goals. For the H-Sun to have Shaw getting a vote is ridiculous - most of his possessions were bullsh1t stats with heaps being from kick ins where he played on every time.

Johnson is a sensation.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Smith and Darcy deserve to be added here we are so fortunate to be watching these great players running around!!!!!

True also Scotty Wynd and Libber as well then you have Super and Wallace there are to many to name.

Topdog
31-08-2009, 03:31 PM
He had 22 possies (most of them in dangerous positions) and kicked 4 goals. For the H-Sun to have Shaw getting a vote is ridiculous - most of his possessions were bullsh1t stats with heaps being from kick ins where he played on every time.

Johnson is a sensation.

Shaw also gifted us 2 goals at least.

Ozza
31-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Shaw also gifted us 2 goals at least.

Exactly.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 04:38 PM
True also Scotty Wynd and Libber as well then you have Super and Wallace there are to many to name.

And don't forget Peter Foster & Andrew Purser!!!! :D

Go_Dogs
31-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I really thought that Johnno steeled himself for the Geelong game - I think he took the last result against them pretty personally. He was involved in absolutely everything that night, and was much the same against Collingwood in the game just gone.

It reminds me very much of some of the things Granty was able to do towards the end of 2006. Just that desperation for success and to have a crack at ultimate glory.

Perhaps Smorgan may wish to revisit his comments (made when the games record was broken) that Brad was not the 'best' player to put on the club jumper. He's certainly moved past the vast majority by my count, and just keeps on keeping on. Another year at a similar standard, and he'd have to go down as one of the best and most consistent players to have EVER played the game for any side.

boydogs
31-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Perhaps Smorgan may wish to revisit his comments (made when the games record was broken) that Brad was not the 'best' player to put on the club jumper.

I thought he said he was the best

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25852766-5014948,00.html