PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - First Final

bornadog
30-08-2009, 10:09 PM
What a tough call its going to be this week.

Hudson - Certain to come in if fully fit.

Griffen - you would think another certainty, if fully recovered.

Williams - Not sure where he is at, but I guess won't be ready and may miss finals?

Who would you drop? Reid would be unlucky, but I am sure he would understand.

Everitt played like he wanted to play, lifted his intensity and looked good on a wing and handy in the ruck.

Willi players, Tiller played ok on Saturday (till the knock on the head), Callan and Addsion also were very strong in the backline. Stack needs some one to be injured in the foirwrad line (touch wood it doesn't happen)

We have some depth.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Would not like to be on selection panel.

BulldogBelle
30-08-2009, 10:14 PM
There is going to be some very hard calls on this one.

Happy Days
30-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Williams - Not sure where he is at, but I guess won't be ready and may miss finals?

Depends on who we play really.

Against a Geelong or a Collingwood, I'm comfortable having Morris and Brian take their two key targets, because Morris is far above them, and strength in one-on-one contests can be covered in other areas.

Against Brisbane and the Saints, I'd want Tommy back, because I'm not 100% confident with Morris on Brown/Bradshaw/Kossie/Riewoldt, no matter how good past performances have been.

As for this week, I would have the following (assuming the suggested in's are ready to go);

In: Griffen, Hudson
Out: Everitt, Reid

Both are very unlucky, but they are players 21 & 22.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:19 PM
in: Griff Hudson
out: Everitt and Reid, not deserving but these guys will be mainstays next season

Any chance Reid stays in and Picken out, not that Liam played badly but maybe Reid is a smarter footballer. They both have more guts than Jarrad before he found subway.

Scorlibo
30-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Unless we play the Saints, I don't think TomaWill is in our best 22, especially when coming off injury.

In: Hudson, Griffen.
Out: Reid, ???.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:21 PM
In: Hudson and Griffen
Out: Reid and Everitt

Tough on both Reid and Everitt, but there are not many other options. Gia really needs to raise him game, but confident he will do that next week. Will be interesting to see how Griffen comes back in - hopefully the few weeks off have freshened him up so that he can hit the ground running!

I dont see Williams coming in until we play St Kilda.

becmatty
30-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Spot on Happy Days,

Griffen and Hudson certainties.

Reid and Everitt are the obvious outs. I thought Everitt was good today, but needs to work on his disposal. Reid has gained some valuable experience which he will call upon if required again.

Go Doggies!

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Is Gia a certainty to play all finals?

He played well in the first half v Geelong but was quiet after that and made a couple of really bad mistakes in the last quarter. He was a contributor nevertheless. Today I thought was Gia's worst game for a long time. He looked flat, slow and avoided body contact quite a few times.

In full flight Gia is in our best 18 but if he's struggling I'd rather Reid/Everitt play.

Obviously Gia will play against the Cats, but if he doesn't perform I wonder if they'll stick with him. Especially since Reid has given us a lot in the last few weeks (esp. today) and Everitt was solid too.

Hudson/Griff have to come back in though. Reid might end up being unlucky ala Cal Ward last year.

lemmon
30-08-2009, 10:33 PM
in: Griff Hudson
out: Everitt and Reid, not deserving but these guys will be mainstays next season

Any chance Reid stays in and Picken out, not that Liam played badly but maybe Reid is a smarter footballer. They both have more guts than Jarrad before he found subway.

Both play differant roles, Reid is more of a hard ball winner and clearance player where Picken is a stopper on the quick, skilfull outside players because of his pace and running ability.
Picken is too important to our midfield structure to leave out, not only for his tagging ability but also because he frees up Boyd and Cross to win their own footy. IMO Picken has played a substantial role in Boyds improvement this year.

The Underdog
30-08-2009, 10:36 PM

He played well in the first half v Geelong but was quiet after that and made a couple of really bad mistakes in the last quarter. He was a contributor nevertheless. Today I thought was Gia's worst game for a long time. He looked flat, slow and avoided body contact quite a few times.

In full flight Gia is in our best 18 but if he's struggling I'd rather Reid/Everitt play.

Obviously Gia will play against the Cats, but if he doesn't perform I wonder if they'll stick with him. Especially since Reid has given us a lot in the last few weeks (esp. today) and Everitt was solid too.

Hudson/Griff have to come back in though. Reid might end up being unlucky ala Cal Ward last year.

Gia will play unless he breaks his pelvis. He just won't get dropped.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 10:40 PM
griff will be hard to leave out but if he reinjures his hammy it is game over for 09.

lemmon
Gia will play unless he breaks his pelvis. He just won't get dropped.

Not sure he deserves to be either. Had a fantastic year and will start to peak now he's got some gametime back into his legs. Vital to our team structure

jazzadogs

Gia will play. Eade has been consistent in playing the side he believes is his best 22, not necessarily his best 22 on form.

I agree with the suggestions of The Beard & Griff for Everitt & Reid. If only Hudson comes in, then who goes? I think Everitt played as well as he has since his debut year tonight, and his work on the wings was equal to what Griff can give. But for the contested in tight stuff, Reid needs to stay.

Tough week for selectors, and fitness staff.

alwaysadog
30-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Not sure he deserves to be either. Had a fantastic year and will start to peak now he's got some gametime back into his legs. Vital to our team structure

What are you trying to do lemmon, bring some intelligent analysis to bear?

That's not going to go down well in this world where you are only as good as your last game and as good as dead if you have 2 bad ones.:D

lemmon
30-08-2009, 10:56 PM

That's not going to go down well in this world where you are only as good as your last game and as good as dead if you have 2 bad ones.:D

Sorry, ReTiRe HUDSON ZOMG !!!111!!!!!1

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Didn't you read my post?

I didn't say he should be dropped.

comrade
30-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Or 5 in a row like Eagleton prior to the Brisbane game.

Oh, we're not supposed to criticise the bald one in your presence are we? ;)

ledge
30-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Ins and outs, i am interested to know if there is any info on Geelongs ins and outs.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Both play differant roles, Reid is more of a hard ball winner and clearance player where Picken is a stopper on the quick, skilfull outside players because of his pace and running ability.
Picken is too important to our midfield structure to leave out, not only for his tagging ability but also because he frees up Boyd and Cross to win their own footy. IMO Picken has played a substantial role in Boyds improvement this year.

I have to agree but I was putting it out there as a roughy.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 11:17 PM
In Griffin Hudson

Out Reid Welsh/Picken

alwaysadog
30-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Didn't you read my post?

I didn't say he should be dropped.

I actually wasn't referring to you TBB but to a general trend to have a very short memory about a players contribution and to execute players after a bad game or two.

I apologise if it was not sufficiently clear as to its target.

alwaysadog
30-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry, ReTiRe HUDSON ZOMG !!!111!!!!!1

That's better

Mantis
30-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Ins and outs, i am interested to know if there is any info on Geelongs ins and outs.

What difference will that make??

Griffen & Hudson have to come in regardless of what Geelong do,

anfo27
30-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Nobody deserves to be dropped but someone has to make way for Griffen & Hudson & that has to be Ried & Everitt.

Agree with all of Happy Days thoughts on Tommy.

alwaysadog
31-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Oh, we're not supposed to criticise the bald one in your presence are we? ;)

Comrade for someone who usually makes, this comment is beneath you. Don't stoop it doesn't become you.

boydogs
31-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Out: Reid, Everitt

Mantis
31-08-2009, 09:34 AM
With rain forecasted for this weeks game do we need to alter our team for these conditions?

Outside players like Eagleton & Hill may not be as effective in slogging conditions, whereas a hard bodied player like Reid will come into his own.

What ever path they go down they need to ensure that they make the correct decision and that the players selected do the job that is required of them.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2009, 09:44 AM

I was about to mention this in another thread, but thought I would come across and see what has been posted here.

I pretty much agree with you here 100%. For mine, Gia has struggled the past few weeks re-adjusting to the pace of the game. He looks slow with and without the ball, and is often making decisions that result in turnovers or allow the opposition to close us down.

As you say though, Gia at 100% is very important.

Hopefully after a couple of games now he can start getting back to his best, because if he had another down performance this week, he'd surely have to be in the barrel. Obviously in our best 22, but you just cannot afford under done players in finals, who are producing way below their best output.

bornadog
31-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Surely the other player to come under the spotlight has to be Welsh. He has not played well for weeks now and whether playing as a loose man in defence works is debatable . Gia was very poor yesterday and you would hope he can get back to some where near his best for the finals.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 09:52 AM
If it's wet conditions I wonder if Tim Callan comes into the mix for Sam Reid?

Desipura
31-08-2009, 10:03 AM
With rain forecasted for this weeks game do we need to alter our team for these conditions?

Outside players like Eagleton & Hill may not be as effective in slogging conditions, whereas a hard bodied player like Reid will come into his own.
Regardless of conditions or if they are not suited to slogging conditions, these 2 have shown enough form to be automatically selected for this weeks game. Griffen & Hudson will come in for Reid & Everitt which will address the hard body issue.

Mantis
31-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Regardless of conditions or if they are not suited to slogging conditions, these 2 have shown enough form to be automatically selected for this weeks game.

We need to pick our best 22 for every game taking into account the type of game that is expected to be played. No doubt the game against Geelong will be a tough & physical encounter, especially if it's wet, so I hope we pick a team suited to this type of game.

Look I am only throwing out an idea and whatever way you look at it it will be a tough week at the selection table.

bornadog
31-08-2009, 10:06 AM
We need to pick our best 22 for every game taking into account the type of game that is expected to be played. No doubt the game against Geelong will be a tough & physical encounter, especially if it's wet, so I hope we pick a team suited to this type of game.

Look I am only throwing out an idea and whatever way you look at it it will be a tough week at the selection table.

The other crucial thing at selection will be match ups.

Mantis
31-08-2009, 10:10 AM
The other crucial thing at selection will be match ups.

Yep.

Reid did a really good job on Bartel just last week so I think that should be taken into account.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Yep.

Reid did a really good job on Bartel just last week so I think that should be taken into account.

Good point. Hopefully he is close to 100% fit as he can be and the pressure is right on the selectors.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Out: Reid, Everitt

Tough call but I think I agree with this. Everitt finally showed me last night that he does like to play on the wing and used his speed to advantage. I don't think Reid has done anything wrong - was a little quiet - but it's hard to leave Griff and Huddo out of the mix if they are fit to fight (or is that fighting fit?? :D)

Desipura
31-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Totally agree about the selection nightmare. Here's one out of left field, if Hudson does not come up does Skipper come in or.................way way out of left field Roughead?
Either way, I do not think we can go into this match with only one ruckman like last night.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Huddo and Griff will return. Williams shouldn't unless his Willy form is bloody good.

I think the MC will go with Picken and Welsh over Everitt and Reid. But i wouldn't mind personally if they
didnt.

bornadog
31-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Huddo and Griff will return. Williams shouldn't unless his Willy form is bloody good.

I think the MC will go with Picken and Welsh over Everitt and Reid. But i wouldn't mind personally if they
didnt.

Sounds like you think Picken should be dropped? I thought he did a great job last night playing on a number of Colligwood smalls.

Ozza
31-08-2009, 11:58 AM

didnt.

Happy enough that you're not on the match committee in that case!!

Mofra
31-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I think Eagleton would be quite handy as he is a harder body than many give him credit for, and in addition in slogging conditions anyone who can run the ball will be valuable.

Hill is an interesting idea but I'm not sure Eade would be prepared to sacrifice his "X factor" on the eve of the finals.

I'd like to find a way to keep Reid in the side & give him Bartel again.

Everitt will be unlucky but Hudson is a definite in for mine, we can gain an ascendancy in the ruck and any advantage is something we need to exploint.

Personally I'd drop Gia before Reid based on fitness & form but that wont happen.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you think Picken should be dropped? I thought he did a great job last night playing on a number of Colligwood smalls.
No, not really. I think there are about 26 players who could play and represent the team well. Reid offers something a little different to Picken, as does Picken to Reid. I love that there's a divergence of opinion, because for the last few years we have not had a massive selection crunch.

I'm not suggesting Picken and Welsh should be dropped, but there will be some healthy debate at MC as there should. Welsh underperformed last year and whilst he was servicable on the weekend, does Andreajs offer anything more. I would think he may just, but Welsh's experience will count for more. Reid and Picken are fighting for the last spot and both have legitimate cliams for it. Picken will probably get the nod, but the other will be unlucky. Hence the comment, don't mind which way they go.

I'm just stoked we are a position to be having a debate on the players and that players will be genuinely unlucky to be dropped. It's a nice position to be in when all the players know they need to play out of their skins to keep getting selected for the next finals game, otherwise the emergencies are right there ready to get the next game. All bodes well for the doggies.

bornadog
31-08-2009, 12:51 PM
No, not really. I think there are about 26 players who could play and represent the team well. Reid offers something a little different to Picken, as does Picken to Reid. I love that there's a divergence of opinion, because for the last few years we have not had a massive selection crunch.

I'm not suggesting Picken and Welsh should be dropped, but there will be some healthy debate at MC as there should. Welsh underperformed last year and whilst he was servicable on the weekend, does Andreajs offer anything more. I would think he may just, but Welsh's experience will count for more. Reid and Picken are fighting for the last spot and both have legitimate cliams for it. Picken will probably get the nod, but the other will be unlucky. Hence the comment, don't mind which way they go.

I'm just stoked we are a position to be having a debate on the players and that players will be genuinely unlucky to be dropped. It's a nice position to be in when all the players know they need to play out of their skins to keep getting selected for the next finals game, otherwise the emergencies are right there ready to get the next game. All bodes well for the doggies.

Its a great position to be in and probably the first time in our history we have been in a position like this.

I can't wait for Saturday.

Hot_Doggies
31-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Depends on who we play really.

Against a Geelong or a Collingwood, I'm comfortable having Morris and Brian take their two key targets, because Morris is far above them, and strength in one-on-one contests can be covered in other areas.

Against Brisbane and the Saints, I'd want Tommy back, because I'm not 100% confident with Morris on Brown/Bradshaw/Kossie/Riewoldt, no matter how good past performances have been.

As for this week, I would have the following (assuming the suggested in's are ready to go);

Both are very unlucky, but they are players 21 & 22.

Who takes Ottens?

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 12:57 PM
OK a little controvesial here, but the midfield seemed to function better without Griff the last few weeks. Should we leave him out for another week?
We beat Geelong the last time without him.

Mantis
31-08-2009, 01:05 PM
OK a little controvesial here, but the midfield seemed to function better without Griff the last few weeks. Should we leave him out for another week?
We beat Geelong the last time without him.

No way, he was our best & most consistent player in the finals last year. If he is fit he MUST play.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Who takes Ottens?
Good question.

I can see Gamble, Mooney, Hawkins and Ottens all their at one stage to stretch us.

We counter that with Lake, Morris and Shaggy. So we may be one tall back down, unless Welsh goes down back to say Gamble, Shaggy to Mooney, Lake to Ottens and when Ottens goes back into the ruck Welsh can go forward or play loose man. But we also need Shaggy's run.

Good question in deed.

The Coon Dog
31-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Here's one for you!

Boyd out suspended. I hope not though.

G-Mo77
31-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Here's one for you!

Wouldn't think so. I'm sure they will have a look but I think he will get cleared.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 01:32 PM
If head clashes are outlawed, then all touching and contact has to be taken out too.

The Coon Dog
31-08-2009, 01:34 PM
If head clashes are outlawed, then all touching and contact has to be taken out too.

The head clash was Crossy.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 01:37 PM
The head clash was Crossy.
My bad TCD... I was at the game and didn't see Boyd's issue, anyone know what Boyd being looked at for?

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Gia is so important to our team when he gets the ball we get a goal . The changes are simple Reid and Everitt for Griffen and Hudson. Glad to see Everitt play such a good game

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Some collingwood supporters near me were filthy about a trip at one stage by one of
our boys, maybe that was the boyd incident? Its hard to tell when you're at the game.
anyone catch the incident on tv?

bornadog
31-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Some collingwood supporters near me were filthy about a trip at one stage by one of
our boys, maybe that was the boyd incident? Its hard to tell when you're at the game.
anyone catch the incident on tv?

Wasn't the trip Johnno? They got the free on the boundary line 50 metres out.

G-Mo77
31-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I can't recall it, just know he's being investigated.

He took Shaw out off the ball. There was no high contact though which is why I think he'll be safe. The only thing that is against him is that is was well off the ball.

The "trip" if I recall was when Johno tried to kick the ball off the ground. A Collingwood player was in the same spot so it looked like he stuck his leg out to trip him. Nothing in it.

Dogs 24/7
31-08-2009, 02:18 PM

That makes the most sense. Hard call for the selectors.

Mofra
31-08-2009, 02:39 PM
The "trip" if I recall was when Johno tried to kick the ball off the ground. A Collingwood player was in the same spot so it looked like he stuck his leg out to trip him. Nothing in it.
There was one where he was chasing Brad Dick, tried to dive/tackle/push as Dick kicked it, caught his hand on Dick's foot. Correct free but not reportable anymore.

G-Mo77
31-08-2009, 03:25 PM
There was one where he was chasing Brad Dick, tried to dive/tackle/push as Dick kicked it, caught his hand on Dick's foot. Correct free but not reportable anymore.

Yep that is another one. The other one may not have even been Johnno.

ledge
31-08-2009, 03:54 PM
What difference will that make??

Griffen & Hudson have to come in regardless of what Geelong do,

Well it makes a big difference on who we might select, Chapman for example will he play and would that make a difference to maybe Addison or Callan coming in?
Picken on Ablett i presume.

dog town
31-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Well it makes a big difference on who we might select, Chapman for example will he play and would that make a difference to maybe Addison or Callan coming in?
Picken on Ablett i presume. With S.Johnson out I dont think it will make a difference to match ups if Chapman comes in.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 05:03 PM
With S.Johnson out I dont think it will make a difference to match ups if Chapman comes in.

It's another bonus for having Johnson out. Ottens however, is another obstacle to overcome.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I like seeing Chapman not at 100% in the side. I wouldn't have thought Ottens is 100% either, though neither is Gia and Griffen probably.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Here's one for you!

Heard the outcome of today's match review on SEN not long ago.
Boyd is in the clear, and trip involving Johnno wasn't looked at.

Off topic but it also mentioned Lloyd is facing 4-6 weeks.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2009, 11:05 PM
In
Hudson and Griff

Out
Everitt and Reid

Both Everitt and Reid didnt do anything wrong, we just need to make space for our number 1 ruckman and one of our best midfielders who is made for finals

Our backline with Morris, Shaggy and Lake as talls will be short again, but shouild be OK as Geelongs talls arent their strength, their midfield is...

Hahn played some OK games against Geelong and Brisbane for memory...although he is within the 'Eye of Sauron' for his performance against the Pies...not holding marks, not making tackles and not really harrassing....that is what he is payed the big bucks for.

Welsh...hmm....what he has going for his is his ability to play forward or back...but against a good side like Geelong and if he gets Scarlett he will struggle playing FF

I worry about our forward line pressure, Welsh, Hahn, Johno and Minson...they arent the quickest blokes going around...

dog town
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
It's another bonus for having Johnson out. Ottens however, is another obstacle to overcome. Previous game against Geelong we have been looking at a heap of different match ups for the small forwards they use. This time it looks like we will more likely be stretched for height at some stage. Could see Everitt given another game. I suppose we have the Welsh option down back as well. Will be interesting to see which way they go.

GVGjr
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Previous game against Geelong we have been looking at a heap of different match ups for the small forwards they use. This time it looks like we will more likely be stretched for height at some stage. Could see Everitt given another game.

I like that idea but I wonder if Eade will keep him in the side

The Coon Dog
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
If Everitt retains his place & Hudson & Griffen return, who could potentially make way?

The obvious name is Reid, though he did a great job on Bartel last time, but who makes way with him?

Welsh - too important & given he can play either end.
Picken - if Boyd goes with Ablett, does he have a match up?
Giansiracusa - form patchy, but has credits in the bank.
Hahn - important to the structure.

A good position to be in, particularly compared to last year when Murphy & Cooney were injured.

dog town
01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I like that idea but I wonder if Eade will keep him in the side I think he will miss out and Eade will pretty much dare them to go tall. If they do get on top we can always send Welsh down back. Having said that I think a bit depends on his plans for Hargrave. If he has a specific small match up for Hargrave then we may have no choice but to leave Everitt in.

If I were a Geelong supporter I would be very nervous about the prospect of bringing Chapman back straight into a final. He looms as a match winner we have to stop but I also wouldn't be shocked if he broke down. I wonder if they are thinking about trying to get through without him. They cant win the flag if he breaks down and they may be thinking that an extra week or 2 weeks if they win is a better option. I know Griffen is coming back as well but it will be 28 days since his last game on saturday and that is more than enough for an initial hamstring strain or even a slight tear. Chapman has had a week less and it is a recurring injury.

Mofra
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
If I were a Geelong supporter I would be very nervous about the prospect of bringing Chapman back straight into a final. He looms as a match winner we have to stop but I also wouldn't be shocked if he broke down. I wonder if they are thinking about trying to get through without him.
They are thinking "the Bulldogs are a different proposition to last year".

We have earned far more respect as a contender this year and even Geelong must acknowledge that taking on the Bulldogs with no Johnson & Chapman is a huge ask. I think it smacks of fear/desperation which means we wont be a psychological disadvantage going into the game.

Mantis
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
They are thinking "the Bulldogs are a different proposition to last year".

We have earned far more respect as a contender this year and even Geelong must acknowledge that taking on the Bulldogs with no Johnson & Chapman is a huge ask. I think it smacks of fear/desperation which means we wont be a psychological disadvantage going into the game.

If Chapman plays and breaks down Geelong can't win the flag. If he is in any doubt he must be held back to a point in time in which they are playing a knock out final.

strebla
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
If chapman put Shaggy on him and make him run ,run ,run he won't last long on a large MCG I think they would be crazy!!!

Mitcha
01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
If Chapman plays and breaks down Geelong can't win the flag. If he is in any doubt he must be held back to a point in time in which they are playing a knock out final.
Agreed grasshopper, Geelong would be foolish to risk a dodgy Chapman hamstring at this stage of the year. Rocket inadvertantly let slip today during a presser a comment that confirmed to me that Reid will miss out. Very stiff as he has played some good footy and would be well suited to finals footy. Good position for the club to be in at this stage of the season, touch wood.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Certainly is a fantastic spot to be in, Do you think that the weather will play apart in the sides selected for the cats, if it rains then going tall would be a disadvantage and also have to put a cloud over Chapman.

For mine I hope it is a dry day with no wing, we'll see how they like chasing "bulldog butts" all day :D

azabob
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
IN: Tiller, Hudson, Griffen

OUt: Welsh, Everitt, Reid

I'd prefer Tiller to be our swingman rather than Welsh.
Hudson in for Everitt as we need the bigger body especially with Ottens playing
The last spot is between Reid and Picken for mine but the MC seem to rate Picken ahead of Reid due to Picken playing most of the games this year.

comrade
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
We looked shaky when the Cats sent Mumford forward to create a three pronged attack a few weeks ago. I'd like Everitt to keep his spot - he can be played up the field when Ottens is rucking and then sent back to pick up Hawkins when Ottens goes forward (who will be manned by Lake).

Welsh and Reid to miss for Griffen and Hudson.

Without Welsh, this would mean Johnno can start deep on whatever sucker takes him or if Scarlett goes to him, he can drag him up the field so he can't do the zone off/chop out thing which he excels at.

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
As well as Everitt played and I do want him to stay I think Welsh gets the spot ahead of him..

Welsh creates quite a distraction to other sides with best defenders going to him..and we can use him down back as we have in recent games.

I do wanna see Everitt have another crack though..Wow..what a position we're in with a selection problems, its a good feeling in a way.

bornadog
01-09-2009, 10:00 PM
We looked shaky when the Cats sent Mumford forward to create a three pronged attack a few weeks ago. I'd like Everitt to keep his spot - he can be played up the field when Ottens is rucking and then sent back to pick up Hawkins when Ottens goes forward (who will be manned by Lake).

Without Welsh, this would mean Johnno can start deep on whatever sucker takes him or if Scarlett goes to him, he can drag him up the field so he can't do the zone off/chop out thing which he excels at.

I agree, I think Welsh has had a very poor season and is not giving us the same as he did last year as a target in the forward line.

GVGjr
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I wonder if Reid gets dropped if it will have much impact his willingness to sign on again?

Desipura
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I wonder if Reid gets dropped if it will have much impact his willingness to sign on again?
If he sooks and is not willing to fight his way back into the team next year, I say "see ya later"

Desipura
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Im not 100% confident that Hudson will be playing, remember his injury was related to his hammy according to reports. I read an article where Rocket said Hudson should be right to play. Whenever he has used such terminalogy in the past, the player has not played.
Obviously I hope I am wrong. I will take a close look at him at training today.

aker39
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Im not 100% confident that Hudson will be playing, remember his injury was related to his hammy according to reports. I read an article where Rocket said Hudson should be right to play. Whenever he has used such terminalogy in the past, the player has not played.
Obviously I hope I am wrong. I will take a close look at him at training today.

This is what he actually said

"Hudson will be back and Griffen will be available so we're just about a full book."

Based on your theory Griffin would be the one in doubt. He says he is available, doesn't say he'll be back.

Desipura
02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
This is what he actually said

"Hudson will be back and Griffen will be available so we're just about a full book."

Based on your theory Griffin would be the one in doubt. He says he is available, doesn't say he'll be back.
Thanks Aker, you now have me worried about Griff!:D The article I was referring to was a different quote, I wish I could find it.
I don't care about how you spell as long as I can understand what you are writing. Found it interesting though that you spelt Griffen 2 different ways in the one post :D

aker39
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Aker, you now have me worried about Griff!:D The article I was referring to was a different quote, I wish I could find it.

Was it this from yesterdays Age

Utility Ryan Griffen is expected to return from a three-week hamstring injury, while ruckman Ben Hudson should also come into the side after he withdrew from the win over the Magpies with hamstring tightness.

If so, that was not a quote from Rocket, it was the authors opinion

I don't care about how you spell as long as I can understand what you are writing. Found it interesting though that you spelt Griffen 2 different ways in the one post :D

That's easy.

The correct one was copy and paste, the incorrect one was left up to dumb arse me to type it.

G-Mo77
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Instead of Mumford resting this in the FP this week you are going to get Otten's. Underdone? Yes but much more dangerous than the Mummy.

I think we match up pretty well with them everywhere else but this is one thing that I am real concerned about.

Mofra
02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Instead of Mumford resting this in the FP this week you are going to get Otten's. Underdone? Yes but much more dangerous than the Mummy.

I think we match up pretty well with them everywhere else but this is one thing that I am real concerned about.
Ottens is much better - MCG being a bigger ground means Lake wont find it as easy to get across and provide the chop-out to his undersized teammates.

Desipura
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
From the little I could say of the match drills at todays training session, Huddo seemed to be moving fine.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Hopefully not. He needs to remember that he is a second year player, competing for a spot in a team that played a PF last year, and is looking perhaps even stronger this year.

I'd love for him to retain his spot, but with a near full list and most players in good form it won't be easy.

Hopefully he chooses to sign on, because he has added a lot and has a bright future with us.

Mantis
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM

My mail is that the club are very keen to keep him and it's hoped he will sign a new deal soon.

bulldogsman
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
ANY FITNESS concerns the Western Bulldogs might have had ahead of their qualifying final clash with Geelong have been erased at the team's Wednesday's training session.

Every player except defender Tom Williams – who is recovering from a broken foot – took part in the Whitten Oval hit-out, which lasted just over an hour.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84048/default.aspx

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
ANY FITNESS concerns the Western Bulldogs might have had ahead of their qualifying final clash with Geelong have been erased at the team's Wednesday's training session.

Every player except defender Tom Williams – who is recovering from a broken foot – took part in the Whitten Oval hit-out, which lasted just over an hour.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84048/default.aspx

Every player expect Lake and Callan Ward.

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Every player expect Lake and Callan Ward.

Got worried for a moment was gunna ask whether injury concern :o

Defender Brian Lake was absent as his partner Shannon was set to give birth, while young gun Callan Ward was at the NAB AFL Rising Star lunch at Crown. :D

Rocket Science
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Can't vouch for Ward, but according to Channel Ten Bryza's absence was due to the birth of his child, about an hour ago.

If that doesn't qualify as an 'out', nothing does...

Dogs 24/7
02-09-2009, 07:18 PM
It's a shame that good form can't be rewarded but it's Hudson and Griffen in for Everitt and Reid.

azabob
02-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I would've thought Tiller would be best to perform this role, as we are still uncertain if Everitt is able to play as a one on one defender. Hawkins also has had a couple of good games in a row and might have his confidence up.

Mantis
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
It's a shame that good form can't be rewarded but it's Hudson and Griffen in for Everitt and Reid.

Too true.

It's a good thing that Williamstown are playing finals so that our standby players like Reid + Everitt ( plus a few others) will be able to continue to press their case incase an injury occurs or a players form drops away.

Dogs 24/7
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Too true.

It's a good thing that Williamstown are playing finals so that our standby players like Reid + Everitt ( plus a few others) will be able to continue to press their case incase an injury occurs or a players form drops away.

Wood, Callan, Addison and Tiller would be right in the mix I would have thought and of course Williams if he can get on the park in the next 2 weeks.

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Williams came out limping today but ran freely and looked good doing laps.

boydogs
03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Too true.

Do we want Willy to tank and lose this week so that we can give players a run in the VFL next week, or would we rather they win to give even our backups the week off?

If Willy lost and WB won this week, which Dogs players and backups would we play in the VFL in week 2?

jazzadogs
03-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Do we want Willy to tank and lose this week so that we can give players a run in the VFL next week, or would we rather they win to give even our backups the week off?

If Willy lost and WB won this week, which Dogs players and backups would we play in the VFL in week 2?
If Williams does regain his fitness at some point in the finals, is he eligible to play in the VFL finals? Or would he have to come straight into the Senior team?

bulldogsman
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
If Williams does regain his fitness at some point in the finals, is he eligible to play in the VFL finals? Or would he have to come straight into the Senior team?

I'm pretty sure anyone can, even Lake would be able to play.

Why would we want to risk playing someone from the best 22 besides Williams for Willy :confused::confused:

If they win they deserve a break.