PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 12:57 PM
There are many older posters who have seen decades of dogs attempts at September glory, and who have been disappointed. But, in 2009 do you beleive the drought will be over?

For me, I think we can, we are the form team coming into finals. Whether we will is up to the players, but I think something has changed in the players heads recently, so i'm prepared to back them.

'I'm a believer'.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Even at 100-1 id back em..Im looking at you Leigh!

The Coon Dog
31-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I believe we are one of four (maybe five) teams who's supporters would think they're a decent show.

I'm more nervous this year than last for some reason, probably because I believe we're closer than we were then.

Topdog
31-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm more nervous this year than last for some reason, probably because I believe we're closer than we were then.

Bingo for me too. Last year I was being cocky cos I didn't really believe, this year I am nervous and worried.

The boys are playing so well and putting loads of pressure on the opposition.

DOG GOD
31-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I believe we are one of four (maybe five) teams who's supporters would think they're a decent show.

I'm with you too TCD...I'm VERY nervous atm contemplating what MIGHT happen.

bornadog
31-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm with you too TCD...I'm VERY nervous atm contemplating what MIGHT happen.

At both the Geelong game and Collingwood, game I was very tense and couldn't sit back and enjoy it like i should have until the last 5 minutes.

The only worry for me is the Saints, so nervous as hell, but with a gut feeling we can make it at least to the GF.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 01:47 PM
There are many older posters who have seen decades of dogs attempts at September glory, and who have been disappointed. But, in 2009 do you beleive the drought will be over?

For me, I think we can, we are the form team coming into finals. Whether we will is up to the players, but I think something has changed in the players heads recently, so i'm prepared to back them.

'I'm a believer'.

Earlie in the season of Bulldog supporters were hosing down our chances but after a couple of inspiring wins against quality teams in the last 2 weeks I think we are better placed than last season. The Saints are our bogey side at the moment. and pose the biggest hurdle for us.

FWIW, I think we will play off for the flag this year.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 01:50 PM

'I'm a believer'.

I am convinced that we will win it this year we have all the momentum where other teams are faltering. My cousin will be back from Bankok for the GF I told her to book her ticket 3 weeks ago

neodog
31-08-2009, 02:03 PM
The saints will be out in Straight Sets, i just hope we dont meet our nemesis CROW in the prelim...oh dear...

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 02:05 PM
The saints will be out in Straight Sets, i just hope we dont meet our nemesis CROW in the prelim...oh dear...

Don't you dare remind us...

The Pie Man
31-08-2009, 02:26 PM

The crows are on the other side of the draw, so it could happen. They'll have to get past one of Collingwood/St Kilda at the G in the semi to reach the prelim.

So the winner of this Saturday will play one of Collingwood/St Kilda/Adelaide in the prelim (as Essendon will be the lock loser this week - with all due respect to them, even their fans at my work aren't for a second confident)

You could argue we're on the good side of the draw - the loser of this Saturday plays either Carlton or Brisbane at the G in the semi.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I have followed the doggies all my life and as a five year old started standing in the forward pocket Grandstand side, scoreboard end at the then Western Oval, I can remember nearly all our finals campaigns (except 1961) and despite living in Qld for a long time always came to at least 7 home and away games each year and all the finals we were in.

This year I am more excited about our prospects than I have ever been and I believe we have a very real chance of playing off in the Granny. I am so glad I now live back in Willy.

This team is a very talented hard working unit and they (unlike some of our past teams) seem to revell in playing for each other and working extremely hard for their team mates. They have the talent to make it, and it well and truly may be this year. Go Doggies, In the words of the Monkees " I'm a Believer" (now thats showing my age)

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Don't you dare remind us...

I don't really care, to be honest. You have to beat a good team in the Prelim, and if it's the Crows, then so be it. No better way to bury all your hoodoos then all at once.

strebla
31-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Have been a believer all year no reason to stop now

DOG GOD
31-08-2009, 02:45 PM
At both the Geelong game and Collingwood, game I was very tense and couldn't sit back and enjoy it like i should have until the last 5 minutes.

Yep that was me too dude :) and will most likely be until the season is officially over.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Seeing how St Kilda played against the Dees I think they they arent the form team going into the finals

Both the Saints and the Cats have lost quite a few matches recently, whilst we have beat, Geelong, Brisbane and Collingwood int he last 3 weeks, all top 8 sides....

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I believe. . .

One Week at a time.

I think we can do it but I also believe there are 7 other teams in the 8 making sure that they are the ones that take it all out. I guess we all need to strap ourselves in and go along for the ride.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2009, 03:22 PM
The QF this week is absolutely vital. If we're able to chalk up another victory, then IMO we're going to be very difficult to stop this year. We're very much a confidence side and I think the club has been looking forward to playing in this years series for some 12 months. It'll be a hell of a game, I hope we bring our 'A' game because if we do IMO we'll beat Geelong by around 3-4 goals.

The confidence that a big final win would bring (after our last three weeks) would be massive.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 03:23 PM
We can do this!

Confidence is high and the key will be if we can up the intensity further next week and to keep the defensive pressure up!

strebla
31-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Just read my avatar!!!!!

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 04:45 PM
amazing how much changes in three weeks. We need to win on saturday. The cats will come out and play tough full on footy.
By the look of rocket after the geelong game he was trying to keep a lid on things. Speed can win you games during the h&a season but lets hope we can back it up with suicidal attack on the footy in september. If you look at the hawks last year this is what won them finals

comrade
31-08-2009, 04:48 PM
amazing how much changes in three weeks. We need to win on saturday. The cats will come out and play tough full on footy.
By the look of rocket after the geelong game he was trying to keep a lid on things. Speed can win you games during the h&a season but lets hope we can back it up with suicidal attack on the footy in september. If you look at the hawks last year this is what won them finals

We're up to the task.

jazzadogs
31-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I would say we've won the last few games through a 'suicidal attack on the footy' more than speed.
So if you believe that is the defining factor, we're more than up to it.

Premiership race is wide open, which is what makes it so nerve racking. Last year, Geelong were undeniably the best and there was hope rather than expectation. At the moment, there is no definitive 'best' team, rather 5 or so teams who all have a shot. We can expect our boys to beat all those teams.

I Believe.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm a huge believer. I'm not getting carried away but I've dreamt it. This is true - when I was in New York earlier this year, I saw it written up in lights in Times Square. I took footage with my camera but don't know how to get it on here so everyone can see it - it said "Western Bulldogs for Premiers 2009". OK yes it was me who paid $5 at Hershey's for this to happen!

Yes, I am a believer. Always have been.

Dry Rot
31-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Ask me in two weeks time.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Ask me in two weeks time.

Come on DR. :p

You've been saying the games v Geelong and Collingwood would be our biggest tests! Get on board, you know you want to!

:D

DOG GOD
31-08-2009, 05:30 PM
i'm a huge believer. I'm not getting carried away but i've dreamt it. This is true - when i was in new york earlier this year, i saw it written up in lights in times square. I took footage with my camera but don't know how to get it on here so everyone can see it - it said "western bulldogs for premiers 2009". Ok yes it was me who paid $5 at hershey's for this to happen!

Yes, i am a believer. Always have been.

classic :)

Dry Rot
31-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Come on DR. :p

You've been saying the games v Geelong and Collingwood would be our biggest tests! Get on board, you know you want to!

:D

Re us, I want to see how we go against the Cats in a final. Also want to see if Saints will get their mojo back in the next two weeks.

I don't fear the Pies, and am quietly confident about the Cats. But the Saints playing like they did earlier this year is a different kettle of fish.

cinder
31-08-2009, 05:36 PM
As Dogs supporters I think we are used to not getting our hopes up too early! Personally I will be trying not to even think beyond this week!

HOWEVER!!! I do think we can - the team just needs to stay focused and play like they have the last 3 weeks (realllllyyy?!!!!!) ;)

Twodogs
31-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Something went 'clunk' in my head when Johnno kicked that goal yesterday and I'm now convinced that things have fallen into place.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:29 PM
IM A BELIEVER
PRAISE THE LORD (ROCKET!)

In all seriousness, I hope that was the start of something special. The thought of going into this final on the back of our last 3 performances makes me weak at the knees at what could possibly be.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:45 PM
What the hell happened after the W.C game!?
The players seem to be believing in themselves alot more..thank god for that!

AndrewP6
31-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Being an eternal pessimist, I'm keeping the lid on. Finals is a whole different beast than rounds 1-22... seeing the Cats and Saints turn their form around wouldn't surprise me. However our recent wins have given me some confidence. I'm gonna just enjoy the ride...and hope like hell it lasts!

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll take it as it comes. Have to being a bulldog fan. Besides it doesn't matter if I believe or other fans believe, its the players out there that need to believe.

The Adelaide Connection
31-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I can't wait to jump on that plane on Friday. I am a huge believer that we can do it, but that doesn't mean I am not nervous as hell.

Realistically I think the top 5 sides all could muster a fairly decent argument as to why it is their year, with the Saints and Cats citing the whole year and the other three drawing on recent form. But the other four are delusional. Bulldogs '09 :D (**Crosses fingers**)

Now only another 32 minutes to wait till my download of the Collingwood game finishes, can't wait to enjoy that again...

Bulldog Revolution
31-08-2009, 07:24 PM
The 2009 team is clearly deeper than the 2008 version. We have a greater number of contributors. The kids have developed and the veterans have kept on keeping on.

We have a few who might be considered slightly under match hardened, but its not the same as having two vital players struggling on crook knees like last year.

I just hope we attack Geelong on Saturday.

On the season to date it is hard to see a team scoring enough against St Kilda to win it, their defence has been by far the best in 09. They haven't been in great nick over the past month, but teams still dont score much against them. They deserve to be favourites.

The Pie Man
31-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I'll take it as it comes. Have to being a bulldog fan. Besides it doesn't matter if I believe or other fans believe, its the players out there that need to believe.

I'm with ES on this - Collingwood fans at work have started any conversation with me today with 'oh you're here to gloat' and I didn't - it's not in a Bulldogs fan to do so (well at least this one)

They would have been so motivated before the Hawthorn game last year, only to be blown away - but I do feel a lot more confident we'll acquit ourselves well this time around.

Exciting time to a be a footy fan - I haven't been able to think of too much else to be honest, it's starting to absolutely consume me! Way more than this time last year actually, given the form we're in.

We say goodbye to winter tonight too

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Been burnt before.

Waleed Aly said on TV this morning of us and the Saints "they've both won one premiership. It almost defines their characters".

I cannot even contemplate a flag at the moment. It is so far out of our character. A GF is as far as I can look ahead.

The Underdog
31-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Been burnt before.

Waleed Aly said on TV this morning of us and the Saints "they've both won one premiership. It almost defines their characters".

I cannot even contemplate a flag at the moment. It is so far out of our character. A GF is as far as I can look ahead.

Waleed Aly is a wise man, although he's a Richmond supporter, at least you know he understands pain.

As for the question of the thread. I live in hope, but I'll believe it when I see it.

AndrewP6
31-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Been burnt before.

Who is that?

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 10:26 PM

I have been thinking about this all day. Hope we do not lose to the Crows in the Prelim.

But there are quite afew games before this can happen.

Geelong first and then we will see what happens.

Yes I am a BELIEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BulldogBelle
31-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Win this weekend's final and we are a massive chance.

anfo27
31-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I've been confident all year thats why i was so shattered when the saints pulled our pants down. Thats the most disappointed i have been since the crows prelim day in 97.

I thought to myself that the loss to the eagles was a blessing in disguise. After that game i was so confident we would win our last 3 games & have won some decent coin with the juicy odds i've been getting. I have never been so confident & the fact we are fourth fav works in our favour.

Get on the dogs woofers while the odds are still good. We are even money this week, money for jam.

boydogs
31-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Lids people... September doesn't even start until tomorrow ;)
Wonder where jerry is though? :p

AndrewP6
31-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Re: Do You Believe?
Being an eternal pessimist, I'm keeping the lid on. Finals is a whole different beast than rounds 1-22... seeing the Cats and Saints turn their form around wouldn't surprise me. However our recent wins have given me some confidence. I'm gonna just enjoy the ride...and hope like hell it lasts!

Twodogs
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM

So can we remove the lids today?

Dancin' Douggy
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
What the hell happened after the W.C game!?
The players seem to be believing in themselves alot more..thank god for that!

Maybe there was some truth in the talk about increased training loads?
Maybe they are peaking at the perfect time?
It's possible

mighty_west
01-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Off course we can win it, no point being a supporter or being in the comp if you think otherwise.

Stefcep
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I WANT to believe.

We are the form side in the competition. Even Gold FM's Grubby and DeeDee were saying that. When the mass media says we're hot, I get worried.

geelong is being under-estimated, they ought to be thinking this is probably the last season they'll finish top 2, last year was the one that got away, they will be very very focused.

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm trying not to be too confident, but I had a very strong image (no I wasn't smoking anything) of: Johnno and Rocket Eade holding up THE Cup and Johnno had the biggest smile on his face, and a sea of red white and blue confetti was showering over them ;)

I also had an image of Eva Mendes wearing a Western Bulldogs scarf....but we won't get into that ;)

mighty_west
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm trying not to be too confident, but I had a very strong image (no I wasn't smoking anything) of: Johnno and Rocket Eade holding up THE Cup and Johnno had the biggest smile on his face, and a sea of red white and blue confetti was showering over them ;)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6662/droolinghomersimpson.jpg

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
My god it is true that the agony and the ecstasy are right next to each other. I like someone else on here, have become consumed. Here I am at work with a million things to do and instead I am on here.

For me being an analytical person I have to weight up the pros and cons against each team:

Geelong: When they were playing good football last year in the prelim we lost, but many said we should have won. I firmly believe they are on the descent (doubts have set in) and we are on the ascent. We played a full strength cats team with only Ottens missing and fell short by two lousy points. We played them again and should have blown them away by five goals. I believe we can beat them - although the game this week will go up a level.

St Kilda: We broke the mojo that the Saints have had on us for years last year by beating them twice. They struggled last year and only clawed their way into top four by beating Essendon by 100 points. They were flying until they got beaten in 2009, believing their own hype, since then they have come back to earth with a thud. I believe that our best game will beat them.

Adelaide: A comfortable win against them earlier in the year at AAMI was a highlight. Since then they have changed their gamestyle around and are winning a lot of games. Too many kids who have never played finals, and will not be able to stand up to the pressures of finals footy for mine. I think they will comfortably beat Essendon and lose to either Collingwood or St Kilda. I believe we won't play them.

Carlton: The blues have had the wood over us for several years now, and it annoys the crap out of me:mad: The team I fear and hate the most. The arrogance of just expecting to be their in September - I fear they are the Hawthorn of the finals. I believe that our best game will beat them.

Essendon and Brisbane - meh.

westdog54
01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Twodogs can add me to his signature.

I'm a believer!!

I think we're fitter, faster, stronger and more skilful than this time last year. Our two main roadblocks are rattled for form, and we beat the 'in-form' team of the competition fairly comfortably.

Our destiny is in our own hands.

lemmon
01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I believe, cracks (or perceived cracks) are starting to appear in the frontrunners and we have the edge over the pies. This is the most excited I've been in a while.

mighty_west
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Twodogs can add me to his signature.

I'm a believer!!

I think we're fitter, faster, stronger and more skilful than this time last year. Our two main roadblocks are rattled for form, and we beat the 'in-form' team of the competition fairly comfortably.

Our destiny is in our own hands.

I just want to see how big his sig can get.

I'm a true believer, the 'Scray to rise in 09!!!!

boydogs
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
So can we remove the lids today?
Sure! :)
I will keep mine on for now, but if the Dogs and Collingwood win on the weekend I might have trouble keeping it there

alwaysadog
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I think I’ve seen every finals game we’ve played in since 1953, unfortunately all too few occasions, so they are not too difficult to recall. I’m loath to boost our chances too much because no one can tell if our form will hold up and if it does for how long. We haven’t put together much of a streak at any stage this year and the Weagles’ Wobble still leaves an impression on my confidence and whispers caution.

From the historical perspective or at least my slant on it, I’d say we have come into some previous finals campaigns with good form but not very often without significant injuries. I’ve just looked at the injury lists for the other finalists and we seem to be in much better shape even when Rocket’s pathological dislike of telling anyone anything about our injuries is taken into account.

Further positives to consider; we have plenty of finals experience and we are backing up after last year’s campaign and with a few points to prove; the team appears to be in a determined and positive state of mind; we are spreading the load throughout the team, with the younger players all making positive contributions; we running out our last quarters very well, so we are strong and not staggering to the line and; we have proven in recent weeks that there is no longer a gap between ourselves and the top teams when we execute our game plan for 4 quarters.

Even an old skeptic like me would say we have given ourselves every chance and although the side is still a work in progress I think that it is in better shape than any previous tilt at the flag outside of 1954 and possibly 1997.

mjp
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I think I’ve seen every finals game we’ve played in since 1953, unfortunately all too few occasions...

Too true - so let's enjoy the ride.

Don't live and die by how we play this week - that is the beauty of the double chance (for both sides, remember). What happens on Saturday might mean something and it might mean nothing when it comes to the final outcome of the year.

Get to the game(s) early - get to your seats and enjoy the warm-up (and the buzz that goes around the ground). Support the team - forget the umpires and the other mob - just get right behind our blokes and enjoy the whole thing.

And if we do fall behind - don't despair. This side have shown time and again - and against quality opposition like Geelong and Collingwood - that a 5 or 6 goal margin is NOTHING...they have shown that they do care and are desperate to fight it out. They will come roaring back and we will have a chance to win.

boydogs
02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Even an old skeptic like me would say we have given ourselves every chance and although the side is still a work in progress I think that it is in better shape than any previous tilt at the flag outside of 1954 and possibly 1997.

Funny you should mention 1997. This is the top 4 from that year:

1. St Kilda
2. Geelong
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Adelaide

We won our last 4 of the H&A season, won in the first week of the finals under the old final 8 system over 6th placed Sydney and with Geelong going down to North got the week off.
The Saints were looking good, easily knocking out reigning premiers North in the first PF, and we all know what happened in the other.

I don't think we will get ahead of ourselves this time and will go at least one step further

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 09:43 AM
When Rocket first came to the club he said he wanted to change the close enough is good enough mentality. I thought it was just a throw away line to drum up some interest but how wrong I was. There is a real expectation not only from within the club but also the supporters as well. No Longer are we trying to survive but we want to thrive and we are daring to dream.

I am finding myself at Laverton Train Station day dreaming on the platform about:

How it will feel to actually leave a prelim final a winner.
Who will get the biggest Pop when their name is called to the dais to collect their premiership medallion?
How will I react if we are there at the big dance and we are in front when the final siren sounds? (My bet is on very manly dignified tears**)
Visions of Johnno and Rocket raising the cup aloft at 55 years of waiting

I then have to force myself to remember that the Granny is in 4 weeks time and while it is ok to dare to dream we need deal with the task at hand first, Mission Geelong.

Rocket, you wanted to get rid of the close enough is good enough mentality well mate you got it. Now go out there and get that flag our club, our players, our coaching staff and our members deserve. Go You Good Thing!

**Dignified tears means sobbing like a big girl (no offence intended)

The Coon Dog
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I am finding myself at Laverton Train Station day dreaming on the platform about:

Who will get the biggest Pop when their name is called to the dais to collect their premiership medallion?
How will I react if we are there at the big dance and we are in front when the final siren sounds? (My bet is on very manly dignified tears**)

Funny, I've actually allowed myself to daydream a bit too with similar thoughts.

I think it would be a huge night back at the kennel sharing the feeling with fellow believers.

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Funny, I've actually allowed myself to daydream a bit too with similar thoughts.

I think it would be a huge night back at the kennel sharing the feeling with fellow believers.

I am not used to this confidence thing in September but I like it.

aker39
02-09-2009, 11:35 AM

As funny as it sounds, I have more dreams about us winning the preliminary final, than I do us winning the GF.

After attending 5 losing preliminary finals, I just want to get over that hurdle and then worry about the GF.

alwaysadog
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
When Rocket first came to the club he said he wanted to change the close enough is good enough mentality. I thought it was just a throw away line to drum up some interest but how wrong I was. There is a real expectation not only from within the club but also the supporters as well. No Longer are we trying to survive but we want to thrive and we are daring to dream.

I then have to force myself to remember that the Granny is in 4 weeks time and while it is ok to dare to dream we need deal with the task at hand first, Mission Geelong.

Rocket, you wanted to get rid of the close enough is good enough mentality well mate you got it. Now go out there and get that flag our club, our players, our coaching staff and our members deserve. Go You Good Thing!

**Dignified tears means sobbing like a big girl (no offence intended)

Dare to dream, that's at the root of our continued existence...

and should the dream become reality I'm pretty sure 55 years of disappointment will cause more than the odd tear to burst forth... manly or unmanly - I won't care...

and I'll think back to a day 20 years ago when it looked for all the world like we had ceased to exist

... except for a few brave people who dared to dream.

Should we fall short there might also be the odd bitter tear of disappointment...

but I won't bag the coach or any player(s), it'll feel worse tothem, anyway dreams don't have recriminations...

I'll go away believing the dream is alive and getting closer and closer to being realised...

maybe that's what makes me a Bulldog tragic.

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Dare to dream, that's at the root of our continued existence...

and should the dream become reality I'm pretty sure 55 years of disappointment will cause more than the odd tear to burst forth... manly or unmanly - I won't care...

and I'll think back to a day 20 years ago when it looked for all the world like we had ceased to exist

... except for a few brave people who dared to dream.

Should we fall short there might also be the odd bitter tear of disappointment...

but I won't bag the coach or any player(s), it'll feel worse tothem, anyway dreams don't have recriminations...

I'll go away believing the dream is alive and getting closer and closer to being realised...

maybe that's what makes me a Bulldog tragic.

Beautifully put

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
OF COURSE!! (I believe that is :D)

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Well Said always a dog.

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Don't live and die by how we play this week - that is the beauty of the double chance (for both sides, remember). What happens on Saturday might mean something and it might mean nothing when it comes to the final outcome of the year.

Get to the game(s) early - get to your seats and enjoy the warm-up (and the buzz that goes around the ground). Support the team - forget the umpires and the other mob - just get right behind our blokes and enjoy the whole thing.

And if we do fall behind - don't despair. This side have shown time and again - and against quality opposition like Geelong and Collingwood - that a 5 or 6 goal margin is NOTHING...they have shown that they do care and are desperate to fight it out. They will come roaring back and we will have a chance to win.

Pure poetry.

Advice heeded.

Mantis
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Well summed up mjp.

I took our relative success through the 90's a bit for granted as I came to expect to be playing in the finals. The Rhode years were tough, but having got through that the finish line isn't that far in front of us now.

There is no better feeling than the roar that rings around the ground after the playing of the national anthem, as a supporter take the atmosphere in, as the players will and think to yourselves how lucky you are to be watching the club you support in a final at one of the best stadiums in the world.

Take it all in and just enjoy the thrill of playing finals footy... I think we are in for a hell of a time.

alwaysadog
03-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Magnificent, uttered like a true coach.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I still believe. Though me egos hurt. I still believe.
We played an eh game and lost by 14 points. We have a 2nd chance and still are only one game from a prelim, 2 wins from a granny and 3 wins from imortality. Simply put for gods sake dogs win, win, win.

FYI Syndey won it from loosing in week one as did West coast it can be done fellas keep the faith.

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I was highly sceptical before today because of several deficiencies in the team.

And today, they bobbed back up in the bowl. I don't believe.

comrade
05-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't believe.

Shock horror.

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Shock horror.

Least I've got the guts to post it. I would be surprised if everyone else who posts here believes - will be interesting to see if anyone else posts their real thoughts.

comrade
05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Least I've got the guts to post it. I would be surprised if everyone else who posts here believes - will be interesting to see if anyone else posts their real thoughts.

It doesn't take guts to continuously take pot shots, especially when all it consists of is 'we need a tall forward'.

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
It doesn't take guts to continuously take pot shots, especially when all it consists of is 'we need a tall forward'.

Really?

Gia hasn't done well, but he has some mates.

Our decision making is poor - we look mentally soft.

I agree with DG. I think the last quarter was a mix of our better endeavour PLUS the Cats taking their foot off the accelerator.

One constant factor was our dinky little handpasses and kicks don't work under real pressure. Some very poor decision making out there today.

comrade
05-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Really?

So, you're not denying that constant pot shots ≠ having guts, though?

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 09:51 PM
So, you're not denying that constant pot shots ≠ having guts, though?

I post what I think here, which may be different to what many others think. And I've just shown you some examples counter to what you claimed then.

Furthermore, I have had a consistent but minority view that our game style and small forward line won't succeed under finals pressure.

Make of that what you will.

Before I Die
05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I believe we are still in the game. Right now there are seven of us. In an hour or so it will be down to six. Each of those six have their strengths and weaknesses, and all of them are made up of players who are only human. I have absolute faith in the Dogs, but if I made my living as a Bookie I would not have us as favourite (make what you like of that DR).

Disappointed today and a little confused by our game plan. Don't believe Barry Hall would have made any difference today, but fairly confident Scarlett on our side or more forward line and mid-field pressure would have.

Note that I said "pretty confident", rather than "absolutely sure". Those sort of statements are the domain of the Negative Nellies and Doubting Thomas' who never have to answer when they are wrong because the rest of us are too happy with the result to bother with "I told you sos" (That's a plural so, not a typo :D)

azabob
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I post what I think here, which may be different to what many others think. And I've just shown you some examples counter to what you claimed then.

Furthermore, I have had a consistent but minority view that our game style and small forward line won't succeed under finals pressure.

Do you think they are a product of each other? I tend to think so.

comrade
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Instead of just stating that we won't succeed, explain what needs to change.

You think our mult-pronged forward line won't work - what do we realistically need to do, in your opinion, to rectify it?

You think our game style won't work - what game style should we be playing that will take us further with the group we have on hand?

We're mentally soft - how do we fix that?

It's easy to repeat ad nausea the same criticisms when we lose, but I struggle to recall you ever offering solutions to our ills.

Scorlibo
05-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't see why anyone who believed after last weeks game shouldn't believe now. We lost by 14 points, not fifty, it was the sort of game where a couple of umpiring decisions, or the bounce of the ball into the post for Higgo, or the Cooney snap touched on the line, and another 2 posters, if all those things had gone our way, we would have won.

Despite the obvious deflation I'm feeling right now, I'm extremely confident of beating Carlton/Brisbane because Geelong played at near-on capacity performance and still only beat us by 14.

FrediKanoute
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't see why anyone who believed after last weeks game shouldn't believe now. We lost by 14 points, not fifty, it was the sort of game where a couple of umpiring decisions, or the bounce of the ball into the post for Higgo, or the Cooney snap touched on the line, and another 2 posters, if all those things had gone our way, we would have won.

Despite the obvious deflation I'm feeling right now, I'm extremely confident of beating Carlton/Brisbane because Geelong played at near-on capacity performance and still only beat us by 14.

Spot on. Today's result is compeltely different to last year where we were completly pbliterared by the Hawks. A 14 pt loss to Geelong goes with the trend of our contests against them....close hard fought games with generally a kick of two in it. Our form line is still good and the equation is pretty simple......win every game from here. I believe we can still do it....in fact I think this loss is a blessing, because come GF day there is no one else the Cats would prefer to play less than us and that is pretty much how it will be when we make to the last day in Sept.....we owe them big time!

BulldogBelle
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Well I see it unfolding like this....we lost to West Coast then won the next three games, today we lost to Geelong and then we repeat the process and win the next three games. Sounds good? ;)

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Instead of just stating that we won't succeed, explain what needs to change.

You think our mult-pronged forward line won't work - what do we realistically need to do, in your opinion, to rectify it?

You think our game style won't work - what game style should we be playing that will take us further with the group we have on hand?

We're mentally soft - how do we fix that?

It's easy to repeat ad nausea the same criticisms when we lose, but I struggle to recall you ever offering solutions to our ills.

Bold bit is the problem IMO - I think we had our best shot last year and we need a mini rebuild to take advantage of when the promising talls will come through.

The Doc made some good points here about some of the current group, http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=111291&postcount=77

I think Eade has down pretty well with the group he has and arguably the available players mean that we play the style that we do - it's just that it falters under finals pressure.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I see it unfolding like this....we lost to West Coast then won the next three games, today we lost to Geelong and then we repeat the process and win the next three games. Sounds good? ;)

Sounds awesome...

Rocco Jones
05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Something for all you believer out there (I might be one again during the week)- 3 the last 6 premierships have been won by teams who lost their Qualifying Final that season (Brisbane 2003, Sydney 2005 and West Coast 2006).

strebla
06-09-2009, 12:31 AM
This team has too much character to simply lie down in the past when the chips were down we would turn tail and hide .No more will we be pushed around we didn't win but we persevered and kept having a go until the final siren that is why i believe

Sedat
06-09-2009, 12:57 AM
If we can win the next two matches, Johnno will be celebrating his 350th game in the GF.

Mantis
06-09-2009, 12:59 AM
If we can win the next two matches, Johnno will be celebrating his 350th game in the GF.

Yippee!!!

Sedat
06-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Something for all you believer out there (I might be one again during the week)- 3 the last 6 premierships have been won by teams who lost their Qualifying Final that season (Brisbane 2003, Sydney 2005 and West Coast 2006).
Just adding to Rocco's stat, in each of these occasions the QF result was directly reversed in the GF.

Scraggers
06-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Do I believe?

More than ever !!

And to all the Fairweather fans out there ... don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good lord split ya

lemmon
06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Honestly player for player IMO we have as much quality as Geelong and St Kilda. For me the big question is whether our structure can hold up and I think the proof will be in the pudding over the coming weeks.

Topdog
06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I still believe. We had poor games from Cooney, Griffen, Gia, Aker (bar 1 qtr), Johnson, Higgins and only lost by 14 points.

As for the Geelong taking their foot off the pedal theory, you dont do that in finals. After the first qtr we stopped them but fell asleep in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr which cost us dearly.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I still believe. We had poor games from Cooney, Griffen, Gia, Aker (bar 1 qtr), Johnson, Higgins and only lost by 14 points.

As for the Geelong taking their foot off the pedal theory, you dont do that in finals. After the first qtr we stopped them but fell asleep in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr which cost us dearly.
Ditto.

They just need to pull their heads back in a little and turn up wanting to perform. For me i was always a little worried a fraction of complancy might be in with all the media and expectation. Now where back to Brisbane four weeks ago. Perform or go into another pre-season without ultimate success.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Geelong would not want to play us again this year. Win the next two and make the GF and
i reckon we will roll them.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM

It shows to go you...

We beat ourselves yesterday, were nervous and made errors that we wouldn't normally under pressure that was more perceived than real. I was surprised at the lack of belief after Geelong strung a couple together.

We played poorly and lost by only 14 pts. We can do it.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm a believer. Always a believer. We can do it. I know we can, I know we will.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM

There's a theory to this -- the week off can be more of a curse than a blessing: the Cats were a far superior team last year and still struggled against the Dogs after a week off after losing a bit of momentum with the week's rest.. after 22+ weeks of getting used to a weekly routine a sudden break can really be disruptive (witness how the mid-season break can also disrupt some teams' momentum).

bornadog
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm a scared believer:(

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM

No, it doesn't sound good, it sounds BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!!!

Desipura
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
We will beat Brisbane then lose another prelim is how I see it. If so, have we improved on last year?

The Coon Dog
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
We will beat Brisbane then lose another prelim is how I see it. If so, have we improved on last year?

How can you ask if we've improved when the season hasn't finished for us?

Desipura
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
How can you ask if we've improved when the season hasn't finished for us?

Meant to say would we have improved (hypotetically speaking if we got beaten in a prelim again)

The Coon Dog
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Meant to say would we have improved (hypotetically speaking if we got beaten in a prelim again)

Before we comment, can we just wait to see whether a) we even make in to a Prelim Final, b) if we do then whether we win & c) if we do then whether we lose.

comrade
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I just watched the clip of the current Bulldogs watching footage of the 54 flag with some of the premiership players, that was played prior to the match against the Cats.

Absolute spine tingling stuff, and makes you love the club even more.

What can you say about Charlie Sutton - we're blessed to have him as one of the legends of the red, white and blue.

He believes we can do it, and so do I.

Topdog
08-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Even if we lose this week I believe we have improved on last year.

Desipura
08-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Even if we lose this week I believe we have improved on last year.
You are easily pleased.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Need to win this week. I still believe that if our 22 play to their highest ability, we will win this week.