PDA

View Full Version : Announcement - 3/9/09

Mantis
03-09-2009, 10:14 AM
There is a little piece in the Herald Sun that states there will be a fairly major announcement made today by the club in relation to the re-development at the Whitten Oval.

Stay tuned.

Mofra
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Any time given?

Sedat
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Let's hope it's in relation to this:
http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5243

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Mark Stevens was pretty clear that it's about the Whitten Oval .....Maybe a naming sponser or better yet a further upgrade?

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Pre-Season games being held @ Whitten Oval? That would be cool :D

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Further development into a boutique stadium where we will play all our home games from 2011...

Sedat
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Mark Stevens was pretty clear that it's about the Whitten Oval .....Maybe a naming sponser or better yet a further upgrade?
Understand that, but any further funding for the redevelopment is predicated on the removal of all existing poker machines away from the Whitten Oval to another location (hopefully Club Edgewater).

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Yep..i agree, that should happen!! The Edgewater development is a key to our Future

Throughandthrough
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe they are going to build a big lake there and name it Brian?

Topdog
03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
haha love the idea Throughandthrough

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
The suspense is killin' me - not as bad as the wait till game time, but what's the announcement! C'mon, give a dog a bone!

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know what they are doing on the other wing anyway? The Gordon St. side.

Prince Imperial
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know what they are doing on the other wing anyway? The Gordon St. side.

It will be landscaped and will have a walking/running track around the oval.

Prince Imperial
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Let's hope it's in relation to this:
http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5243

We are currently awaiting a decision by VCAT on Edgewater which won't be announced by the club but will be made by VCAT.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
New trophy cabinet? :)

Sedat
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
We are currently awaiting a decision by VCAT on Edgewater which won't be announced by the club but will be made by VCAT.
Thanks for confirming, Prince Imperial.

Mantis
03-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Rumour is that it might be to do with gaining more government funding for the building of a new sports hall.

Cyberdoggie
03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Rumour is that it might be to do with gaining more government funding for the building of a new sports hall.

Was that in the plans originally?

The entire rebuilding project has taken forever, what year did we first start knocking down the Doug Hawkins Wing and scoreboard?

At the rate we are going, Carlton, StKilda and North will be finished before us.

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/84117/default.aspx

Well there you go!! No more rats or tinea LOL :D

Cyberdoggie
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Hmm.....88m long by 15 metres wide?

Is that right?

bulldogtragic
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Is that right?
4 basketball courts across... I think it's tight but do-able.

LostDoggy
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Is that right?

Yeah it sounds a bit strange, maybe 51? 88 x 15 is only 1320 sq m.

GVGjr
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure what makes this such a big announcement as it was built up to be. It's a bit more window dressing really from my perspective. It's nice to hear but it doesn't change too much.

aker39
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure what makes this such a big announcement as it was built up to be. It's a bit more window dressing really from my perspective. It's nice to hear but it doesn't change too much.

The government have given them an extra 1.2m.

Surely you know that any government will not give money away without them getting some recognition, hence the need for the press conference.

GVGjr
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Surely you know that any government will not give money away without them getting some recognition, hence the need for the press conference.

I get that but the announcements are too often a tad underwhelming.

Mofra
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Is that right?
That's massive.
Hopefully they put up enough Bulldogs paraphernalia to indoctrinate the young minds into the ways of the kennel.

aker39
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Absolutely they are. Because there are so many of them, because the government make them do it.

I managed to get a grant for our kinder last year and we were told that we had to get the local paper to advertise the fact.

It's all propaganda.

Prince Imperial
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Getting all the money for a $5.4m further improvement of the WO is pretty big news IMO for our club. The hall will replace a building that is a bit of an eyesore really.

I'm not aware of the financial elements of all this but similar to the child care centre the club may be able to get a sizeable rental return (I'm guessing six figures) from sub-letting the facility to an operator even if that operator is not-for-profit. As well as helping the community, this facility is probably going to help our bottom line too to a fair degree.

bornadog
03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Getting all the money for a $5.4m further improvement of the WO is pretty big news IMO for our club. The hall will replace a building that is a bit of an eyesore really.

I'm not aware of the financial elements of all this but similar to the child care centre the club may be able to get a sizeable rental return (I'm guessing six figures) from sub-letting the facility to an operator even if that operator is not-for-profit. As well as helping the community, this facility is probably going to help our bottom line too to a fair degree.

Correct and was always in the master plan.

Prince Imperial
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Correct and was always in the master plan.

This was certainly the intention, three or so years ago when I went to the community consultations and I spoke in some depth to those in charge of the project. The club was expecting rental returns from the cafe, offices and medical suites as well.

A 5% rental return on the sports hall (below the market rate average) would net the club somewhere in the vicinity of $250k per year. At a time when we can't afford a full compliment of rookies or pay the full marketing allowances to keep and attract players and have a $4.5m bank debt, I would say this announcement is very significant to our club.

ledge
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Is that right?

88 by 50 i read it as,

Twodogs
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Absolutely they are. Because there are so many of them, because the government make them do it.

I managed to get a grant for our kinder last year and we were told that we had to get the local paper to advertise the fact.

It's all propaganda.

AS soon as I saw the announcement I thought that it had the hands of the state ALP on it. KRudd has gotten some good value out of Capital grants by announcing the funding in several stages and pretending that each is a new grant.

That's essentially what we are doing in this case.

Topdog
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
A 5% rental return on the sports hall (below the market rate average) would net the club somewhere in the vicinity of $250k per year. At a time when we can't afford a full compliment of rookies or pay the full marketing allowances to keep and attract players and have a $4.5m bank debt, I would say this announcement is very significant to our club.

We have quite a few new initiative's coming through which could net the club a lot of money. I'm very comfortable with where the club is heading because of some of these.