PDA

View Full Version : The 20-year miracle

The Coon Dog
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Mark Stevens | September 04, 2009 12:00am

PETER Gordon could not resist trotting out a famous lyric from The Beatles.

"I feel like Sgt Pepper. Twenty years ago, almost today," the former Western Bulldogs president mused.

And it was clear as Gordon gazed out on to the Whitten Oval yesterday that the music is still ringing in his ears.

The sounds of the merger battle of October, 1989, weren't always pleasant but they remain with Gordon as if it was only a year ago.

Article in full... (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26023435-19742,00.html)

Desipura
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
they should name a room from the Elite Centre the Gordon room.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
20 years!!! Remember it like it was yesterday

comrade
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
How good would it be to hold up the premiership cup on the 20th anniversary of our resurrection.

Up Yours Oakley!

aker39
04-09-2009, 10:55 AM
How good would it be to hold up the premiership cup on the 20th anniversary of our resurrection.

Up Yours Oakley!

When I was reading the article this morning I was thinking how good would it be for one of our players to do a Shane Crawford and grab the microphone and say Up Yours Oakley.

Maybe Murph could do it. He seems to have a good understanding of the history of the club.

Topdog
04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
20 years!!! Remember it like it was yesterday

Same here. Bloody strange to think that was 20 years.

The Coon Dog
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
There are a couple of very pertinent threads that some of the newer Woofers would be unaware of & they make terrific reading:

1989 The merger 3: The best speech in football, Peter Gordon at the Fightback Rally (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=507)

Interview With Irene Chatfield (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4050)

Sedat
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
When I was reading the article this morning I was thinking how good would it be for one of our players to do a Shane Crawford and grab the microphone and say Up Yours Oakley.
I was trying to study for my up-coming Year 12 exams when the awful events of 1989 unfolded, resulting in our club ceasing to exist for 3 terrible days. I'll never forget that Summer, and if we are lucky enough to taste premiership glory, I'll be drinking to Irene Chatfield, Peter Gordon, Dennis Galimberti, Terry Wheeler and everyone else that contributed to our survival.

Twodogs
04-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I'll never forget that Summer, and if we are lucky enough to taste premiership glory, I'll be drinking to Irene Chatfield, Peter Gordon, Dennis Galimberti, Terry Wheeler and everyone else that contributed to our survival.

Giants walked the Earth that summer. There were so many heroes.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
20 years - that makes me feel old. But also very proud of what we achieved. Go Dogs - winning the Grand Final this year would be extra special for so many reasons.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Fair stretch by Columb to claim hero status.......i would like to think that there is always another way to continue the fight!!

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
20 years ago my mother died. She was a Footscray fanatic. She would get to the footy for the start of the reserves and barrack. There was no way I could let the club die and I remember the "Save the Bulldogs Rally" like it was yesterday. Surely the footy gods will shine on us this year and my donation given way back then will finally have its just rewards.....:)

westdog54
04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
There are a couple of very pertinent threads that some of the newer Woofers would be unaware of & they make terrific reading:

1989 The merger 3: The best speech in football, Peter Gordon at the Fightback Rally (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=507)

Interview With Irene Chatfield (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4050)

Loved this part of the Speech:

"I understand that to ask people like you in these harsh economic times to part with that sort of money is a very difficult request. It will hurt. But when you think of that hurt, think about how you felt on Tuesday.

Think of how you'll feel in four weeks' time when they announce the draw for 1990 and Footscray's not in it. Think of how you'll feel at the opening game of next year when Footscray aren't there, and the knowledge that they'll never be there again. We'll be there if you're prepared to commit, and I mean each and every one of you, the sort of money I'm talking about."

What a glorious day it was for our club.

bornadog
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Loved this part of the Speech:

"I understand that to ask people like you in these harsh economic times to part with that sort of money is a very difficult request. It will hurt. But when you think of that hurt, think about how you felt on Tuesday.

Think of how you'll feel in four weeks' time when they announce the draw for 1990 and Footscray's not in it. Think of how you'll feel at the opening game of next year when Footscray aren't there, and the knowledge that they'll never be there again. We'll be there if you're prepared to commit, and I mean each and every one of you, the sort of money I'm talking about."

What a glorious day it was for our club.

Can't believe it was 20 years ago, and yes we are still here, unfortunately, Fitzroy disappeared. They just didn't have the fighting qualities of the Bulldogs supporters.

strebla
04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
To Take on the might of the then VFL and win to me was as good as winning the flag.If we were to lose that historic fight as South Melbourne before us ans Fitzroy after us we would not be here going to the footy tommorow and thats a win !!

westdog54
07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Can't believe it was 20 years ago, and yes we are still here, unfortunately, Fitzroy disappeared. They just didn't have the fighting qualities of the Bulldogs supporters.

I don't think that one had anything to do with 'fighting qualities'.

Their obstacles ended up being insurmountable in the end.

They cut their salary spending, the AFL put the 92.5% rule in.

They got a generous loan from a foreign country, the government changed and called in the debt.

When all was said and done, they didn't have the resources or supporter base to be sustainable. That they held on until 1996 was a miracle in itself.

Sadly, rather than work with the 'Roys to give them a farewell and thanks for 100 years of contribution to the VFL/AFL, they were stood up against a wall and shot. Cast away to Perth to die cold, alone and hungry.

boydogs
08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Bump

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/486407610518630400/photo/1

Twodogs
08-07-2014, 11:54 PM
It'll be the 25th anniversary this year.

boydogs
09-07-2014, 01:57 AM
It'll be the 25th anniversary this year.

A long time ago for sure, but not sure you could ever really forgive someone for trying to shut down your club. Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it, particularly Oakley's shirt and the commentary that he has finally gotten revenge on Peter for what he did...

chef
09-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Up yours Oakley.

Greystache
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM
He was on AFL360 last night taking down the club's survival and talking up John Elliott. 'nuff said.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 06:32 PM
He was on AFL360 last night taking down the club's survival and talking up John Elliott. 'nuff said.

Actually made me turn the channel over. I think he was a about to launch into Bambi being a demonic, orphan, dole bludging waste of space who should have have been shot too, but I turned over just before he got to that. Did you stay on the channel long enough to hear that Ricky?

Greystache
10-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Actually made me turn the channel over. I think he was a about to launch into Bambi being a demonic, orphan, dole bludging waste of space who should have have been shot too, but I turned over just before he got to that. Did you stay on the channel long enough to hear that Ricky?

Not too much D man. I heard him say that, thought you flog, then tuned out for most of the rest.

Actually there was something, he was asked whether the commission's strategy of pushing mergers was the right approach considering the position of Melbourne clubs now and how stable they are. His answer was pretty lame, basically he said it was the strategy the AFL thought was best at the time, so he doesn't regret that.

Well no shit, of course you thought it was the right approach, you chose it you blithering idiot. It has also been proven since that it was the wrong strategy, so put your hand up and admit you got it wrong!

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Not too much D man. I heard him say that, thought you flog, then tuned out for most of the rest.

Actually there was something, he was asked whether the commission's strategy of pushing mergers was the right approach considering the position of Melbourne clubs now and how stable they are. His answer was pretty lame, basically he said it was the strategy the AFL thought was best at the time, so he doesn't regret that.

Well no shit, of course you thought it was the right approach, you chose it you blithering idiot. It has also been proven since that it was the wrong strategy, so put your hand up and admit you got it wrong!

He doesn't believe in hindsight? By that line of thinking the decisions to engage in or not in wars, or stop oppression or human struggling, or even any multi billion strategic business decision, is correct as it was the thinking of the time.... The one man who hindsight didn't change in the history of mankind... My fault for asking I guess.

KT31
12-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Up yours Oakley.

I strongly concur.