PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Talia

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
My son goes to school with Michael Talia, who's grandfather apparently played for Footscray. He will be going into this year's draft, and apparently Collingwood have been sniffing around.

Any info on his grandfather and has anyone got any comments on Michael? He is a bit full on at school.

GVGjr
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
1954 Premiership player Harvey Stevens is his grand father. Have a browse on the State league forum because there are some snippets of information about Daniel. I'm assuming the thread title is an error so if you want me to correct it let me know.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 10:28 AM
1954 Premiership player Harvey Stevens is his grand father. Have a browse on the State league forum because there are some snippets of information about Daniel. I'm assuming the thread title is an error so if you want me to correct it let me know.

Huh:confused:

comrade
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
[/B]

Huh:confused:

The kid's name is Daniel, not Michael.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
The kid's name is Daniel, not Michael.

Oops there is two of them - one is Daniel and the other is Michael.

comrade
04-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Oops there is two of them - one is Daniel and the other is Michael.

Daniel is one of the more highly rated key position players in the draft, and was selected at CHB in the u/18 All Australian team. He’s recently been struck down with a serious hamstring injury that may see him slide slightly on draft day.

Michael, I’ve never heard of.

LostDoggy
04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Daniel is one of the more highly rated key position players in the draft, and was selected at CHB in the u/18 All Australian team. He’s recently been struck down with a serious hamstring injury that may see him slide slightly on draft day.

Michael, I’ve never heard of.

Thanks - there are two one in year 11 and one in year 12.

wb_age
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Daniel is a good mate of mine's younger brother, from what I've heard there has been plenty of interest from AFL clubs, still uncertain where he will end up.

The kid can play KP either end of the field and can run all day.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Is he a supporter of the scray?

wb_age
05-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Is he a supporter of the scray?
I'm not sure, but my mate (his brother) is definately a doggies man!

I'll find out.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
One eye 'scray supporter. What a waste if he is picked up by Collingwood.

alwaysadog
06-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Harvey was a much loved player and a butcher by trade and lived initially at least in Preston. I'm pretty sure around 1955/6 he tried to amputate his thumb rather than the bone in a carcas he was disecting at the time causing him to miss most of a season.

Not only did Harvey captain the club when Charlie Sutton retired but decades before his father Arthur "Chida" Stevens had done so as well. The only father-son combination that I know of to lead the Dogs. This means that the boy has an impeccable Bulldog pedigree, through both his grandfather and his great grandfather, just a pity that he won't be continuing the dynastic connection.

Still the pollywobbles had Harvey for a while, but after 40 odd games let him go and he came home to us. Dare we hope that lightening strikes twice.

GVGjr
06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Not only did Harvey captain the club but so did his father Arthur "Chida" Stevens. The only father-son combination that I know of to lead the Dogs. This means that the boy has an impeccable Bulldogs pedigree, just a pity that he won't be continuing the dynastic connection.

Still the pollywobbles had Harvey for a while but after 40 odd games let him go and he came home to us. Dare we hope that lightening strikes twice.

You have just jogged my memory of that fact. I remember reading something along those lines a while back.

alwaysadog
06-09-2009, 12:44 AM
You have just jogged my memory of that fact. I remember reading something along those lines a while back.

It might have been me, earlier this year I was enquiring if anyone knew the boy's name because I had heard that a son of the Stevens line was quite a hot property but got him confused with a midfielder called Stevens who plays for Gippsland.

GVGjr
06-09-2009, 01:09 AM
It might have been me, earlier this year I was enquiring if anyone knew the boy's name because I had heard that a son of the Stevens line was quite a hot property but got him confused with a midfielder called Stevens who plays for Gippsland.

I was also reading over some literature that you gave me a couple of years back as well. Not sure where I read it but ultimately I did think that I heard it from you.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Well this is definately the Michael Talia that goes to ACK.

http://www.senews.com.au/story/61829

GVGjr
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Both boys were on the TAC rising stars programme today. They handled the interview very well.

alwaysadog
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Both boys were on the TAC rising stars programme today. They handled the interview very well.

Missed the show was Daniel's pedigree discussed?

wb_age
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
One eye 'scray supporter. What a waste if he is picked up by Collingwood.
Wrong my friend, unfortunately he turned out a Carlton supporter.

GVGjr
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM

No mention of it.

chef
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Do you think Talia will still be around at pick 9?

GVGjr
09-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Do you think Talia will still be around at pick 9?

I would think so but I think that's too high for him in my opinion.

chef
09-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I would think so but I think that's too high for him in my opinion.

What about when we have our pick ?

GVGjr
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM

He might be a target for a team like the Hawks but yes he would be in the mix for our pick.
He will take time to develop which is understandable.

chef
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks GVGjr.

Sockeye Salmon
09-09-2009, 07:20 PM

There might be a few talls in the mix around about our first pick - Talia, Black, Panos or Carslile (I know I've totally buggered up the kids name but I'll be stuffed if I can remember it at the minute).

comrade
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
There might be a few talls in the mix around about our first pick - Talia, Black, Panos or Carslile (I know I've totally buggered up the kids name but I'll be stuffed if I can remember it at the minute).

Are you keen for us to go tall with our first pick, SS?

PS. Carlisle

LostDoggy
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't think you should draft based on what you need. Draft the best available player at your selection. If that's a midfielder, then you take him. You recruit for the future, these kids aren't going to have an immediate impact. Not everyone running around is Daniel Rich :P

bulldogsman
09-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Panos doesn't seem to get talked up much, yet I see him as a top 10 pick.

Sockeye Salmon
09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't think you should draft based on what you need. Draft the best available player at your selection. If that's a midfielder, then you take him. You recruit for the future, these kids aren't going to have an immediate impact. Not everyone running around is Daniel Rich :P

Within reason.

Personally I think best available is a mistake. That's what got us in this problem in the first place.

The problem with drafting is that it (typically) is much clearer to pick how good a smaller guy is going to be compared to a big guy. The smaller guys are safer bets but you still need big guys, so at some point you have to bite the bullet and pick them.

Very few star big guys are found after the first round - Riewoldt, Kossie, Roughead, Franklyn - Lloyd and Tredrea were concession picks. It's easier to breed your own (Brown, Richo, Fletcher, hawkins) than to draft a star KP outside the first round.

We can start looking at best player because our balance is a lot better after taking 3 big guys last year, but we do have Wallis and Libba to come next year.

I wouldn't mind taking one of the bigger guys in the first round.

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Right! Let's clear this all up. Daniel Talia - an Assumption College/Calder Cannons boy, is in this year's draft. A carlton supporter and grandson of a footscray great.

Michael Talia - is his younger brother - a more talented (many say including Ray Carroll coach of ACK for the past 30+ years) won't be in this year's draft - probably next year and he is a bulldogs supporter and I would dearly love us to draft him - wishful thinking perhaps unless we rookie him this year?

The Coon Dog
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Right! Let's clear this all up. Daniel Talia - an Assumption College/Calder Cannons boy, is in this year's draft. A carlton supporter and grandson of a footscray great.

Michael Talia - is his younger brother - a more talented (many say including Ray Carroll coach of ACK for the past 30+ years) won't be in this year's draft - probably next year and he is a bulldogs supporter and I would dearly love us to draft him - wishful thinking perhaps unless we rookie him this year?

Thanks for clarifying that up.

If someone isn't eligible for the draft then I don't believe they can be rookied.

azabob
10-09-2009, 08:59 PM

No mention of it.

Alwaysadog do you mean the grandfather connection? I fairly sure they did mention it. Think the question was directed to the younger brother. He spoke about how his grandfather had to look after his brothers and sisters from 16 or such due to a death in the family and how he played in the preimership team.

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for clarifying that up.

If someone isn't eligible for the draft then I don't believe they can be rookied.

Is that how it works? So that would account for us picking up really young players, thinking they would go high in the following years draft. Although, wasn't it Geelong? that picked up a player that no one had heard of?

GVGjr
10-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Is that how it works? So that would account for us picking up really young players, thinking they would go high in the following years draft. Although, wasn't it Geelong? that picked up a player that no one had heard of?

You can't rookie list players who aren't eligible by age to be drafted.
Are you talking about the Sri Lankan youngster, Ranga Ediriwickrama? If so he was a NSW scholarship player.

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 09:02 PM
"Bump" ;)

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 10:08 PM

"bump" "bum'" ;)

comay
24-11-2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/126513/default.aspx

His name is Michael Talia.
:)

Greystache
24-11-2011, 10:34 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/126513/default.aspx

His name is Michael Talia.
:)

That's why this thread is about his brother Daniel.

comay
24-11-2011, 10:41 PM
That's why this thread is about his brother Daniel.

Thanks Greystache, I read this thread and got confuse :( , so Daniel is older brother right?? and with club he playing for?? I don't know much about AFL but I am a mad bulldog supporter just love the club :)

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Greystache, I read this thread and got confuse :( , so Daniel is older brother right?? and with club he playing for?? I don't know much about AFL but I am a mad bulldog supporter just love the club :)

Daniel Talia plays for the Adelaide Crows.

azabob
24-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Daniel plays for Adelaide.

comay
24-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Daniel plays for Adelaide.

Thanks Grey and azabob:) ..
according to some post in this thread , Micheal more talented than Daniel :) I am happy now :)

Greystache
24-11-2011, 11:01 PM

No problem. Daniel is older, he was recruited in the 2009 draft by Adelaide. He signed a 2 year extension with them this year.

Sockeye Salmon
25-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks Grey and azabob:) ..
according to some post in this thread , Micheal more talented than Daniel :) I am happy now :)

And Dean Waugh was supposed to be better than Steve or Mark ...

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Panos doesn't seem to get talked up much, yet I see him as a top 10 pick.

Great point from back then.
All Australian Full Forward and i couldn't believe he didn't get drafted. Absolutely thrilled when we got him

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-11-2011, 08:53 AM
And Dean Waugh was supposed to be better than Steve or Mark ...

Don't forget Graeme Cordy

Desipura
25-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Don't forget Graeme Cordy

Took mark of the year in the Army Reserve Cup at Lakeside Oval (a hanger in the goal square if you can recall?)

bulldogsman
25-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Great point from back then.
All Australian Full Forward and i couldn't believe he didn't get drafted. Absolutely thrilled when we got him

I had to laugh at that comment.

It's easy to see why he fell to the rookie draft, but he was a good pick up that late.

Greystache
25-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Scott Selwood was supposed to be the best of the lot too.

chef
25-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Joel was always seen as the best(from an early age) if my memory serves me correctly.

azabob
25-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Joel was always seen as the best(from an early age) if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm with Stache on this one.

Maddog37
25-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I think Joel was the anoited one.

chef
25-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm with Stache on this one.

Fair enough we'll have to agree to disagree, as I can remember Joel being talked about as a future number 1 draft pick when he was a 16 year old.

divvydan
25-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Was definitely Joel from my memory. Scott was considered to be better than the twins but Joel, as chef mentions, was considered as the best mid of his year (with Gibbs) until the knee concerns meant he dropped down to 7.

hujsh
26-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Was definitely Joel from my memory. Scott was considered to be better than the twins but Joel, as chef mentions, was considered as the best mid of his year (with Gibbs) until the knee concerns meant he dropped down to 7.

I also remember this being the case