PDA

View Full Version : Players loosing their feet

Dry Rot
05-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Can't recall so much of this as the Dons tonight. Obviously puts them out of the play.

Why is this happening to them?:

1. Wrong boots/conditions

2. Poor conditions

3. Lack of body strength?

boydogs
05-09-2009, 01:16 AM
I think they were simply trying too hard at times. Desperately trying to use their pace to advantage but being outclassed by a patient, experienced and skillful opposition

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I think the pressure got to them pretty bad too. Seemed like they kept thumbling the ball and also made bad decisions.

GVGjr
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
It's a fundamental mistake by a footballer. Coaches must pull their hair out to see their players lose their feet during a contest.

I think it's a combination for a few of the things DR listed.

dog town
05-09-2009, 08:25 AM
It is the softest surface in the league and they got a heap of rain the night before. Some players go to ground when the pressure/heat of the game get too much as well. Could even be as simple as choice of boot. Not many players are used to heavier conditions these days. The bombers have a lot of agile small guys who change direction quickly, in fact the bombers game plan depends on it.

Soft, shifting ground + Jarrod Harbrow clones = blokes falling over

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
It wasn't applicable last night, but lack of leg speed is usually the most common reason for players going to ground.

By diving at the ball they hope they can get their hands on it before the other guy burns them off. It's why players start to go to ground as they get older.

Crossy, Gia and recently Johnno.

dog town
05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
It wasn't applicable last night, but lack of leg speed is usually the most common reason for players going to ground.

By diving at the ball they hope they can get their hands on it before the other guy burns them off. It's why players start to go to ground as they get older.

Crossy, Gia and recently Johnno. I think Crossy generally goes to ground at the right time. He dives to keep the ball from getting away when he is out of a contest. A lot of times I would consider going to ground or just slumping on top of the ball to be a soft option. Players are charging in at the contest from all directions, the ball is under your feet so you just sit on it to protect yourself and avoid the option of staying over the ball. Heaps of coaches absolutely hate this. It is probably more prevalent at a lower level though.

Agree that older players tend to go to ground more often.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I saw none of the game but sometime players go to ground to because its too 'hard' for them rather than contest the ball they give up and try to disguise the fall with bad luck.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
You are right about old players, many have bad backs and find it difficult to bend over.