PDA

View Full Version : WOOFER in Herald Sun

The Coon Dog
05-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Got the shock of my life this morning as I was about to sit down & eat brekky. Who should pop out of the Herald Sun but one of WOOF's very own!

Oh, for brekky, it was 'raw toast'.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/scana.jpg

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2009, 10:56 AM
He's touching a Collingwood supporter!!!!

Germs!!!!

I've been able to snaffle a bit of the book for an advanced read and I've loved it!

If you love your footy this is a must-read and because it's been written by a Bulldog you know most of the book is about the Dogs!

Starring Dr. Klugman as the author with supporting roles from half the people on Woof.

GVGjr
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, I was just having a read of it myself. Well done Dr K. :)

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Something wrong Hannah is still. And its Bwain not Brian

bornadog
05-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Footy fans lament (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,25123871-11088,00.html)

Cheryl Critchley
March 02, 2009 12:00am
A BIG football loss can be like dealing with death for fans, research has found.

The worst were those where victory was expected, such as the Western Bulldogs' 1997 preliminary final loss to come-from-behind Adelaide.

One fan even likened memories of that game to a war.

"It was 'impossible for us to play at the G without getting horrible flashbacks . . . similar to Vietnam veterans to low flying choppers'," he said.

SuperFooty forum: How does it feel to lose a big game?
Ugly game: Coaches warn on defensive zoning
For Collingwood fans it was their Grand Final losses, including 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002 and 2003, and for Essendon fans their 1999 preliminary final loss to Carlton after leading by seven goals.

The more likely a team was to win, the more crushing the defeat.

Victoria University sports studies lecturer Dr Matthew Klugman interviewed 20 footy fans about losing for the paper, Australian Football, Tragedies and the Question of Catharsis.

He said some losses could be "seriously perturbing, somehow more 'like a death' than the loss of 'a mere football match'.

"They are shocking in a manner that cannot be articulated, and lead to substantial suffering likened to that occasioned by a death.

"For many Bulldog followers, what happened (in 1997) couldn't be put into words.

``Their shock and bewilderment were expressed instead by silence, tears and other physical manifestations of considerable unease.

"A normally 'mild-mannered public servant', who never expressed anger, tried to 'get out and kill' a celebrating Crows supporter who was yelling and banging on his car."

In the paper, Collingwood fan Nadia found the Magpies' 2003 Grand Final loss to Brisbane to be like a death.

She couldn't sleep and huddled in bed, freezing, with a hot water bottle.

"A combination of faith and signs that the faith would be realised had established the conditions for a defeat that would later be read as tragic," Dr Klugman found.

The study found that no matter how bad the loss, some fans could not resist reliving it.

"They often want, in the months and years that follow, to annihilate the memory of the hideous defeat, but many seem unable to stop talking about it," it said.

Although the trauma was never fully released, Dr Klugman found fans dealt with big losses by looking towards the next big win - not always a good plan.

"It can occasion the presumptive certain belief that sets the conditions once again for another shocking loss," he found.

On the plus side, Dr Klugman said winning was even sweeter if your team had a bad record.

Raw Toast
05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Something wrong Hannah is still.

The young photographer has now discovered at least half of how the old adage is true - 'never work with kids or animals' - the fact that Hannah seems still is trick photography and presumably some high powered photoshop as well...

And its Bwain not Brian

He's certainly still Bwain to Hannah, and the number on the back of her doggies jumper is 36. :)

I had fun writing the book and it's even been blessed with a fdotm cartoon - you might recognise a few of the other WOOFER's in there as well.

bornadog
05-09-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Passion-Play-love-hope-and-heartbreak-at-the-Footy/126604164461?_fb_noscript=1

For those interested.

Well done Matt.

Mofra
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Passion-Play-love-hope-and-heartbreak-at-the-Footy/126604164461?_fb_noscript=1

Cheers for link - just finishing a book now so could be a good purchase to keep me occupied on a long plane flight in October.

Kudos Matt, sounds like a very interesting read.

comrade
07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Yesterday, I picked up my copy of Passion Play at Sun Bookstore in Yarraville – a very cool bookstore and I had a lovely chat with the lady at the counter who was very sympathetic about our loss to the Cats.

I’m already through a large chunk of it and have had a ball (I had to stop myself from reading it in one long sitting). Some of the snippets of firstdog’s musings on Nathan Eagleton (Silky Left Footed Love Meringue) had me in hysterics and caused the darl to give me funny looks in bed.

Matt gets right to the heart of what it means to be a true football fanatic, which is something no doubt all of us can relate to and writes with a clear love of the subject.

Footy is clearly not ‘just a game’.

Thanks for writing such a great book Matt, well done.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
ooooo. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy......

PaddyWhack
07-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Excellent, looks like a companion to my dog-eared "Southern Sky Western Oval".

Sedat
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I had fun writing the book and it's even been blessed with a fdotm cartoon - you might recognise a few of the other WOOFER's in there as well.
Raw Toast, are you by chance related to that other great medical practicioner, Jack Klugman, aka Quincy ME :)

Raw Toast
08-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Raw Toast, are you by chance related to that other great medical practicioner, Jack Klugman, aka Quincy ME :)

Unfortunately not Sedat - I do have some family in the US and have inherited pain and suffering from them as well in the form of the San Diego Padres and Chargers...

The Pie Man
08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Where can you purchase the book guys? Just went to Angus & Robertson & Collins at Nothlands and no joy, keen to have a squiz at it.

Raw Toast
08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Where can you purchase the book guys? Just went to Angus & Robertson & Collins at Nothlands and no joy, keen to have a squiz at it.

It's still getting rolled out into stores, so some places might still not have got their copies (especially if they put in a smaller order).

The Sun bookstores in Yarraville has lots, so does Readings in Carlton (and so should the other Readings), and you can also order copies online (with free postage) at: http://spunc.com.au/members/hunter/product/9780980517965/

The Pie Man
09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
It's still getting rolled out into stores, so some places might still not have got their copies (especially if they put in a smaller order).

The Sun bookstores in Yarraville has lots, so does Readings in Carlton (and so should the other Readings), and you can also order copies online (with free postage) at: http://spunc.com.au/members/hunter/product/9780980517965/

Thanks for that, just took a drive to Carlton at lunch to grab, will look forward to the read

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Well done Matt,

Hopefully Brian sees the article and decides to stay a Bulldog for his number 1 fan!

Raw Toast
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Hopefully Brian sees the article and decides to stay a Bulldog for his number 1 fan!

Indeed Alex!

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Matt - Did you notice there was a quick 1 sec grab of you and SS from late in the third quarter.

Raw Toast
14-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Matt - Did you notice there was a quick 1 sec grab of you and SS from late in the third quarter.

Yep, you can almost make out the BHBAS t-shirt but not quite (Sockeye's looking one way, me the other, so I'm not sure what was happening!).

I gave WOOF and the BHBAS a plug on 774 yesterday - they had me chatting about the craziness of fans and got people to call in with their best stories, their were some crackers (btw who is 'John from Drouin' - he knew me, and had a good Dogs story, so he won one the books).