PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Forwards??

Rance Fan
05-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Hahn, Gia, Murph, Higgins not fully fit, or coming off injuries. Hahn to slow. Hahn Gia and Murph zone off defensively to much, they look great when they tackle.
Resting ruckmen Minson/Huddo to slow
Aker and Johnno, Welsh, Eagleton try hard but getting on in age.
Hill too weak and goes missing

Who the hell can keep some pressure on oppositons defense???

Leading stat players and run for Geelong all came from the back half.
Scarlett, Milburn, Enright etc

Saints do it to us with Goddard etc

Do we have an Answer??

Harbrow use to chase opponents when he was up forward.

Any younger fast aggressive players coming thru?

Everitt? Tiller? Boumann?

For me why not put Griffen as a defensive forward... he has the dash and tackling ability and may kick a goal or two. Maybe....
Just need him fit!! Not sure he can play midfield

Hmmmm

Mofra
05-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Everitt? Tiller? Boumann?

I can't even hope to give you an unbiased opinion because I am a Tiller fan, but he'd be perfect. He has the defensive side of his game developed, looked ok when he was tried forward in his debut season and has a real mongrel type attitude about him.

He would have played better than the witches hats wearing 8 and 13 today.

azabob
05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I can't even hope to give you an unbiased opinion because I am a Tiller fan, but he'd be perfect. He has the defensive side of his game developed, looked ok when he was tried forward in his debut season and has a real mongrel type attitude about him.

He would have played better than the witches hats wearing 8 and 13 today.

Like you I'm a massive Tiller fan. But as we've said before Welsh is in the team instead of Tiller. They'd even prefer to play Welsh down back than bring in Tiller.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't stress it's only one game. I thought that we came out and stood like rabbits in a spot light the first quarter. These guys have the ability to do the job they just got out played today.

The main issue was the kicking at goal "yet again" and the output from Minson, he has had more than enough tine to learn and develop at FF but just seems to get to enough contests and bring the ball down to our advantage. They seem to play off him also.

Defensive side Mitch is the key when he is up and about we are going like no tomorrow.

We'll bounce back. i think this loss was a good thing as it has brought them back to Earth, they will win the next 3 for sure!!!!!

GVGjr
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I like the idea of having a bit more defensive grunt up forward and I see the merit of playing Tiller there. I'd add Ward as someone who could not only create goals but also create contests for opposition defenders.

Rance Fan
05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Is Tillers kicking a bit suspect?
I know early in the year he was spraying a few, even out on the full...
In saying that in defense there is more pressure to accurately clear away from goals.
Not to say that its not important to kick goals, i guess he couldnt kick much worse than half of the current lot.
They all seem to miss gettable goals today.

I reckon Hargrave could also be a good defensive forward. Can kick a goal and defend... well if he can find his man. When switched on he could do the job.

Dont stress mmm this issue has been a regular occurance.... as i said Cats have done it often to us, Saints also. Not only do we have to kick the goals but prevent the ease at which oppositions rebound and influence the game. Cant just hope we outgun teams.

Mantis
06-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Where is ledge?

He will smash this thread to smithareens!!

Go_Dogs
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Addison played the role to some effect not more than a few weeks ago.

A Varcoe would have been handy. He seemed to bob up and put pressure on at crucial moments.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM

A Varcoe would have been handy. He seemed to bob up and put pressure on at crucial moments.

Addison is about 6th or 7th in line, his performance in the last Geelong game showed he is far from our best 22.

Mofra
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Addison played to role effectively once. He's one who actually worries me a bit - can't play on small whippet backmen, he's behind Picken as a tagger (Picken is a better disposer of the ball anyway), doesn't accumulate enough ball to play a Boyd type role.

Back on topic, Tiller is awesome :D

Go_Dogs
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Addison played to role effectively once.

And he was only given maybe the equivalent of 1 and a half runs in the position. FWIW, I thought his game against Geelong was reasonable, but he got unlucky a few times which is what people remember. He wills himself to create the contest and his work ethic can not be questioned.

I'm not saying he should come into the side this week, but he's been a bit undersold this year from my perspective.