PDA

View Full Version : Dogs still a flag chance, says Eade

azabob
05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84255/default.aspx

By Matt Burgan 6:03 PM Sat 05 September, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says his side can still win this year's premiership, despite losing to Geelong by 14 points in the second qualifying final at the MCG on Saturday afternoon.

The Dogs will now meet the Brisbane Lions or Carlton in a semi-final at the MCG next Friday night.

Despite the longer route they now faced, Eade said the Bulldogs still had the mettle to go all the way for the first time since 1954.

"Yep, no doubt. People are pumping up Adelaide for the minute and they're going to have to play four games," Eade said post-match.

"One of the teams was going to lose today and it was a close one and I reckon if Geelong won it, people would say: 'Geelong can win it'.

"It makes it more difficult because you've got to play another game and you don't get the week's break, so obviously Geelong is in the box seat and whoever wins tomorrow is going to be in the box seat – there's no doubt about that.

"But having said that, there is a bit of character amongst the group and we've shown over the last three weeks what they can deliver, so as the boy with the wheelbarrow, we've got the job in front of us, haven't we?"

Although disappointed at not advancing directly into the third week of September, Eade remained upbeat about his side’s chances in the second semi-final.

"You fight so hard for a double-four chance and that's a positive – we didn't play that well and that's what we've earned … another game," he said.

"It would've been great [to have the break], but having said that we've got a full list and we didn't get any injuries today.

"We've had six-day breaks before and done well and the team we play will have a six-day break, so that's not an issue."

Eade said failing to capitalise on opportunities, especially in front of goal, ultimately denied the Dogs victory.

"I'm not too sure about the one that got away. In the end, we certainly did have our chances. Apart from the start, they just used the ball a bit better than we did," he said.

"Their skills were pretty good and we just turned the ball over a little bit too much at times and some shots at goal that we should've been able to take might have made it a bit more interesting.

"We certainly had some momentum, but full credit to them, they deserved to win."

A lack of concentration from some of his players was also telling, Eade said.

Although he was not prepared to single out any players, he said one situation was "crazy".

"I don't know whether we need to have some extra memory… we can put in there so we can take their attention span a bit greater – that'd be great," he said.

"I've spoken to a couple of individuals after the game and said: 'We're sick of telling you every week what you need to do in the situation'.

"[But] that didn't cost us the game."

On the injury front, Eade said Robert Murphy continued to battling a knee problem that has troubled him for eight weeks.

He left the field in discomfort during the game but Eade said Murphy would be right to play in the semi-final.

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

azabob
05-09-2009, 07:20 PM
By Matt Burgan 6:03 PM Sat 05 September, 2009

A lack of concentration from some of his players was also telling, Eade said.

Although he was not prepared to single out any players, he said one situation was "crazy".

"I don't know whether we need to have some extra memory… we can put in there so we can take their attention span a bit greater – that'd be great," he said.

"I've spoken to a couple of individuals after the game and said: 'We're sick of telling you every week what you need to do in the situation'.

"[But] that didn't cost us the game."

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

Interesting. Wonder who he is getting sick of repeating himself to?

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Why would he be telling them every week what the need to do in that situation...the player/s who he's talking about obviously listening arnt following instructions, so drop them.......

Maybe thats a bit harsh...but i jsut want the boys to play as a team...and if they arnt following instructions thats not a team thing imo...

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I think one of those players could be Hill, he seems to fall back into old habits a lot.

GVGjr
05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I think one of those players could be Hill, he seems to fall back into old habits a lot.

Yes, he has slipped back a bit and probably didn't have a lot of credits in the bank. The thing that works in his favor is that there probably isn't another player like him in the current 22.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, he has slipped back a bit and probably didn't have a lot of credits in the bank. The thing that works in his favor is that there probably isn't another player like him in the current 22.

What do you mean by that?

Are you talking about that x-factor he has, or the fact that he can play a bit taller then he actually is.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Griffin?

bornadog
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Griffin?

no, you mean Griffen.

Happy Days
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Griffin?

Nah not him, the Crows dropped him for Sellar aaaaaaages ago ;)

Sedat
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Interesting. Wonder who he is getting sick of repeating himself to?
Just a guess, but players not raising the eyes and spotting up free targets inside forward 50, and just bombing it to a nest of defenders - would be referring to Shaggy and Mitch if that's the case.

Mantis
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Just a guess, but players not raising the eyes and spotting up free targets inside forward 50, and just bombing it to a nest of defenders - would be referring to Shaggy and Mitch if that's the case.

He should be talking to R.Murphy who deadset butchered the ball.

Rocket Science
06-09-2009, 02:55 AM
C'mon people.

Eagleton.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
C'mon people.

Eagleton.
There were worse than Eagle.

Josh Hill for me regressed about 2 months in one game. He really needs to respond this week with several other poor performers.

KT31
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
He should be talking to R.Murphy who deadset butchered the ball.

Must agree and its not the first time this season.
And if the excuse is injury , don't play him.

1eyedog
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Brian Lake's dinky little pass to Cross would have to be the one. It was another famous B. Lake brain fade which I'm sure Eade has discussed with him over and over. It would go something like. "Bryz, you've got a shit short pass, kick it long or handball it to someone who is better equipped than you to dispose of it".

boydogs
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Brian Lake's dinky little pass to Cross would have to be the one. It was another famous B. Lake brain fade which I'm sure Eade has discussed with him over and over. It would go something like. "Bryz, you've got a shit short pass, kick it long or handball it to someone who is better equipped than you to dispose of it".

It's not even the short pass its the kicking off one step. Certainly would be on the list.