PDA

View Full Version : Friday night semi-final?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Is a Friday night semi-final a certainty? Saints/Pies vs Crows will have to be on Saturday night you would imagine. I would prefer Friday night as our opponent will be coming off a trip/traveling interstate and a bit less of a break.

LostDoggy
05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought it was put up at the G after the final siren....maybe i was seeing things...or maybe you had left...but yeah we do play Friday night...im hoping its against the lions...

Rocco Jones
05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Another benefit of Friday night is that we have a long break going into the Prelim.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Come on Lions, pump up!

jazzadogs
05-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Another benefit of Friday night is that we have a long break going into the Prelim.
IF we were to win on Friday night, which prelim would we play in? As in, which night?

Is there a formula to how they do it, or just guesswork? Because I thought the higher ranked team got the longer break going into the Big Dance...so if the Saints win we'd be Friday night, but if the Pies win we'll play on Saturday night. Is that correct, or am I making it up?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
IF we were to win on Friday night, which prelim would we play in? As in, which night?

Is there a formula to how they do it, or just guesswork? Because I thought the higher ranked team got the longer break going into the Big Dance...so if the Saints win we'd be Friday night, but if the Pies win we'll play on Saturday night. Is that correct, or am I making it up?

The Saints/Pies vs Bulldogs/Lions Prelim will be a Friday night and the Cats vs Saints/Pies Prelim will be on Saturday/Saturday night.

There is no formula, they just try to use "common sense" I guess. You are right about them wanting to give the higher placed sides a longer break but it won't come into consideration as they already have a week off. Actually, if my side had the week off I would want them to play a Friday night Prelim to give them an extra break for the GF.

Sedat
06-09-2009, 12:03 AM
The Saints/Pies vs Bulldogs/Lions Prelim will be a Friday night and the Cats vs Saints/Pies Prelim will be on Saturday/Saturday night.
I feel dirty even saying this........Go Pies. If they somehow manage to get over the Saints tomorrow, that will put St Kilda, Adelaide and Geelong into the other half of the draw.

Scraggers
06-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I feel dirty even saying this........Go Pies. If they somehow manage to get over the Saints tomorrow, that will put St Kilda, Adelaide and Geelong into the other half of the draw.

I agree ... Adelaide don't bother me, but to have both Geelong and St. Kilda on the other Prelim ... nice

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 02:46 AM
You're right:) Go Pies:cool:

DOG GOD
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Go pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Adelaide Connection
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I am probably the only one dirty about a Friday night game, makes it almost impossible to get there for the game. My Dad and I had planned to drive over to watch the Bulldogs and Crows games (my Dad is Crows ahead of Dogs, whereas I am the opposite) but if we still come we could only get there for Saturday.
Friday night must also affect Brisbanes numbers, would think they would get a stack more for a Sunday game. But it's all about Tv I guess. Sigh.

On a side note I think it would be money in the bank to bet on Collingwood breaking into uproar if they lose, about ending up with two days less break for their game than the crows despite finishing higher on the ladder.

Mantis
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
On a side note I think it would be money in the bank to bet on Collingwood breaking into uproar if they lose, about ending up with two days less break for their game than the crows despite finishing higher on the ladder.

They have every right to be shitty.

The fixturing of rd 22 will come back and bite the AFL on the arse.

bornadog
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

It may have effected us with a day less to recover than GEEElong

Mantis
07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
It may have effected us with a day less to recover than GEEElong

If we had been run over late in the game I might agree, but I am not sure we can attribute a tardy start to a shorter break.

Perhaps we were a little flat in our legs at the beginning of the game and ran it out of us, who knows?

bornadog
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
If we had been run over late in the game I might agree, but I am not sure we can attribute a tardy start to a shorter break.

Perhaps we were a little flat in our legs at the beginning of the game and ran it out of us, who knows?

Yes, who knows. I was just supporting the arguments about the fixturing in round 22. Surely in future common sense must prevail.

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM

The pies will be, but they already get a very favourable fixture during the regular season that enables them to finish higher in the regular season than they might otherwise earn

bornadog
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
The pies will be, but they already get a very favourable fixture during the regular season that enables them to finish higher in the regular season than they might otherwise earn

How?

Scraggers
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Is it just me ... or is the date September 11 a bad omen for our Friday night Semi-Final clash against Fitzroy / Brisbane?

wb_age
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Is it just me ... or is the date September 11 a bad omen for our Friday night Semi-Final clash against Fitzroy / Brisbane?
Considering Brown and Bradshaw are considered the "twin towers", i think it's a rather good omen.

Perhaps they will crumble like savoy's at the hands of Lake and Morris.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Considering Brown and Bradshaw are considered the "twin towers", i think it's a rather good omen.

Perhaps they will crumble like savoy's at the hands of Lake and Morris.

Nice.

Look at all our beard too.
Death to the infidels!

comrade
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Distasteful, but hilarious :)

The Adelaide Connection
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM

If it was any other club I would agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that it is Collingwood and we are talking about a club that receives the most favourable home and away draw every single year. Perhaps it is Karma deciding it was time to step in and hurt them at the business end and hand another club an advantage for once.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
If it was any other club I would agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that it is Collingwood and we are talking about a club that receives the most favourable home and away draw every single year. Perhaps it is Karma deciding it was time to step in and hurt them at the business end and hand another club an advantage for once.

Yes Collingwood get a favourable draw, but the only reason this happens is because every Victorian based club wants a home game against them.. They draw the big crowds, so teams request to play a home game against them, who's fault is this?

Yes the Crows have a big advantage this week against them, but what advantage did St Kilda have over them despite finishing 5 or 6 wins ahead of them? An extra 3 hours break? If anything Collingwood were favoured playing at the there home turf, the MCG.

Ozza
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
No surprises that Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Anthony were all terrible against a gun team in the finals. Having said that, I think despite the 6 day break - Collingwood will win this week - the losers of 1 v 4, 2 v 3 games tend to win in the second week even though the punters jump off them.

Get on the Dogs/Pies double.

Mantis
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
No surprises that Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Anthony were all terrible against a gun team in the finals. Having said that, I think despite the 6 day break - Collingwood will win this week - the losers of 1 v 4, 2 v 3 games tend to win in the second week even though the punters jump off them.

Get on the Dogs/Pies double.

Over the past 9 years the record for this happening is 16-2. One of those 2 wins was when Coll defeated WC in extra time.