PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings: v Geelong

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I have never seen this before on the AFL site, them having player ratings.

Is this a new thing?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84260/default.aspx

Jason Akermanis – 8
The Dogs' most-capped finals player got them back in the game with three third-term goals. Wore Enright for most of the game, but contested in the clearances and was important after halftime.

Matthew Boyd – 7
Was typically hard at it for 29 touches in battles with Corey, Ablett and Selwood. Wasn't as effective as usual in clearances, but ran hard all afternoon.

Adam Cooney – 6
Was beaten by Ling, and made some uncharacteristic errors by foot throughout the game. Redeemed himself slightly to lead the Dogs' clearances while working well at either end.

Daniel Cross – 6
Had 26 touches but was reasonably inconspicuous. Ran with Bartel for most of the game, who had just eight touches while opposed to him. Had seven contested possessions, but his tackle count was down.

Nathan Eagleton – 5
Will most likely be remembered for acting as Ablett's stepladder in the second quarter. Started on the bench and came on for 22 touches, and led the Dogs' for inside 50s.

Daniel Giansiracusa – 3
Not his best game. After starting on the bench, he had just 14 touches and scored one behind, which was a poster at a crucial time in the second quarter. Did have four scoring assists.

Lindsay Gilbee – 9
The Dogs' best player had a huge second quarter and ended as the side's leading possession-getter with 35. Provided good rebound and kicked a timely fourth-quarter goal.

Ryan Griffen – 3
First game since round 19. Had a couple of opponents – most of his 14 touches were against Varcoe – but didn't record a contested possession. Expect a better game next week.

Mitch Hahn – 3
Hurt his ankle in the first but was okay for the rest of the game. After struggling to get into the game, was thrown down back in a loose role. Still battled to make an impact. Twelve possessions and no goals tells the story.

Jarrod Harbrow – 5
Played on a Stokes, who is a similar size, but was too often pushed out of the contest. Rebounded well and applied good pressure, but was down on his recent form.

Ryan Hargrave – 5
Got the job on Chapman, and had just four touches to the Cat's 10. Only touched the ball 15 times for the game, which is below his recent standard. Didn't make much of an impact.

Shaun Higgins – 6
Kicked two goals and had 21 touches in his 50th game, although one of his majors came through a Geelong runner infringement. Had the most success against Kelly, but had a quiet second half.

Josh Hill – 6
Started on the bench before coming on for a run against Milburn on the wing. Lacked his usual pizzazz up forward for just one goal, but was equal leader among the Dogs for tackles.

Ben Hudson – 7
Annoyed punters when he kicked first goal of the game after surprisingly starting at full forward against Scarlett. In his 100th game, was the best of the big men with 15 hit-outs and three clearances.

Brad Johnson – 6
Was picked up by Mackie, who did an excellent job to keep the skipper to four kicks in the first three quarters. Played better in the second half for two goals, but was beaten by the young Cat.

Brian Lake – 8
Another of the Dogs' better players. Had Hawkins and Ottens for most of the day, although spent time up forward in the second half. Had 21 touches and four rebounds, and was excellent against Ottens.

Will Minson – 3
Opened the game with the first centre bounce, but battled to get involved and lacked presence at times. Had eight touches and nine hit-outs, which was disappointing after a commanding round 22.

Dale Morris – 4
Beat Mooney for contested possessions and had three tackles. Battled well against the hairy Cat and Hawkins, but wasn't influential.

Robert Murphy – 3
Jarred the knee injury he's been carrying for eight weeks and spent time on the bench in the first. Came back on to face Harley, but battled to get into the game and didn't score.

Liam Picken – 6
Ran with Shannon Byrnes for most of the match and kept his influence to a good level. Did his job without being outstanding, although four tackles were a highlight.

Callan Ward – 7
Had a tough battle with Selwood, where he more than held his own. Didn't appear overawed by the occasion, and was handy in setting up forward play.

Scott Welsh – 6
Led the game for contested possessions and spent time down back, but made just a one-goal impact on the scoreboard. Scarlett also ran off him well for 18 touches.

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Some of those ratings are fairly generous I would have thought.

The Pie Man
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Some of those ratings are fairly generous I would have thought.

Like Josh Hill's 6? Might have had a high tackle count, but how many stuck?

I saw this on my mobile before (I love having AFL on bigpond for free) I'm assuming it's for the finals only.

DOG GOD
06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
They got the "3's" at least right.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Gia, Hahn, Minson, Murph, Higgins and Griffen were all disappointing IMO.

Lacked the intensity and pressure that we showed the 3 weeks prior.
Must lift if we want to beat the lions...

Rocket Science
06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
It's a concept I've seen used in coverage of world football...such as on goal.com, although I seem to recall something along these lines being published in the Herald Sun as part of their post-grand final liftout in days gone by.

All the fail marks are fairly deserved...they're just missing a bit of company.

Mantis
06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Gia, Hahn, Minson, Murph, Higgins and Griffen were all disappointing IMO.

Lacked the intensity and pressure that we showed the 3 weeks prior.
Must lift if we want to beat the lions...

I think a similiar performance against Bris will see us having a fairly comfortable victory.

Mofra
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I think a similiar performance against Bris will see us having a fairly comfortable victory.
Agree - especially considering we would have beat Geelong if we kicked straight.

We played very poorly and still managed to get within 14 points which is one of the few positives from the game.

Desipura
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Mofra;111866]Agree - especially considering we would have beat Geelong if we kicked straight.
QUOTE]
Not too sure that we would have won. The cats seemed to have an answer to everything we threw at them.

Mofra
07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Not too sure that we would have won. The cats seemed to have an answer to everything we threw at them.
We beat them after 1/4 time, kicked extremely poorly and hit the post 3 times and lost by 14 points. I think the players would look at the game as a missed opportunity.

Cyberdoggie
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
For someone who is known as a strong bullocking type player Mitch Hahn isn't one of our bests in applying pressure any more. Originally it was that very reason why we valued him so much but these days he rarely chases hard and like Gia and Murphy they give up after a few paces when in situations where if they applied themselves and kept running they would of chased down the opponent.

I don't think Mitch is a good enough player as a forward to justify his inclusion if he isn't someone who is applying much pressure.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Agree - especially considering we would have beat Geelong if we kicked straight.

Didn't Geelong kick 7 goals 5 behinds in the first?

If they had of kicked straight, game would've been over at quarter time.