PDA

View Full Version : Which opposition player is overrated?

craigsahibee
06-09-2009, 07:26 PM
It's a big question. Whether it be the media, your mates at the pub, workmates etc.

Personally, Dale Thomas is probably the most overrated footballer going around. I could quite easily include at least half a dozen of his team mates but he seems to get more publicity for doing the things that AFL footballers should be capable of doing.

I am very interested to hear the thoughts of other posters.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with that, Dale Thomas is your typical poster boy who's hair is harder than his contested football..

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Daisy :)

boydogs
06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Steven Milne, Simon Prestigiacomo, Nick Maxwell making the All Australian squad :eek:

1eyedog
06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
More recently probably Jobe Watson. It's probably not an overly fair assessment because Hird and Sheedy bang on about him but he can't kick, is slow and his awareness is not great at times. He gets the ball in the middle a lot, but everyone else has a player or two in their team who do this and I reckon there are at least 20 blokes from other clubs who perform the same role but do a better job.

anfo27
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
More recently probably Jobe Watson. It's probably not an overly fair assessment because Hird and Sheedy bang on about him but he can't kick, is slow and his awareness is not great at times. He gets the ball in the middle a lot, but everyone else has a player or two in their team who do this and I reckon there are at least 20 blokes from other clubs who perform the same role but do a better job.

Can't agree with you there. I think Jobe has improved his kicking quite considerably & the kid has great hands.

Dale Thomas for mine is clearly the most over rated player in the comp. To get his head on television all the time you would think the kid is a star. Was rapt to see Goddard smash him with a hip & sholder today.

1eyedog
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Can't agree with you there. I think Jobe has improved his kicking quite considerably & the kid has great hands.

Dale Thomas for mine is clearly the most over rated player in the comp. To get his head on television all the time you would think the kid is a star. Was rapt to see Goddard smash him with a hip & sholder today.

Has improved his kicking I agree but it is not up to a high AFL standard. His hands are no better than any other teams 1st choice inside mid IMO. Dale Thomas is certainly the most overrated player in the AFL and there a 1 or 2 others in the AFL ahead of Watson. I didn't say Watson is the most overrated, just that I think he is overrated.

azabob
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Has improved his kicking I agree but it is not up to a high AFL standard. His hands are no better than any other teams 1st choice inside mid IMO.

I think you are being a bit harsh.
Whats really interesting about this is your avatar is our version of Jobe Watson!!

1eyedog
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I think you are being a bit harsh.
Whats really interesting about this is your avatar is our version of Jobe Watson!!

Why am I being harsh? I'm not saying he is a crap player I'm saying I think he is overrated in the media. I never ever hear anyone in the media talk about Cross so I'm not sure how you could draw comparisons? We are talking about comparing overrated players, not comparing similar type players. If you want to compare similar type players, D. Cross Best and Fairest =1 J. Watson Best and Fairest=0. Watson's a good player but gimme a break James Hird when you say that no other player is more valuable to their team than Watson is to Essendon.

Happy Days
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Good thread.

Adealaide - No-one; their whole team is underrated

Brisbane - Rich; Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player, but the best kick ever wraps, etc, is just a bit much

Carlton - Gibbs; He is soft, unnaccountable, and just not that good

Collingwood - Maxwell/Daisy; Can't split the pair. Maxwell looks good, but it's not hard to take 'courageous' pack marks when a team mate does the outbodying for you. Daisy tries so, so hard to be mercurial, but just isn't good enough to be so.

Essendon - Angus Monfries; gets literally every posession he has ever gotten through free kicks for high tackles, because the second he feels contact, his feet go dead, and his head goes back.

Freo - They don't have anyone rated whose name isn't Sandilands or Pavlich, who are both stars

Geelong - Joel Selwood; does the Gus Monfries move, except gets lauded as courageous for it. He just isn't that courageous. His disposal is average, and he is the fourth best midfielder in their team. Send him to Melbourne and he would not be getting these wraps. Stokes, Harley, Mooney, Hawkins all deserve honourable mentions here.

Hawthorn - Buddy Franklin; was a star last year, this year was very patchy, and never really took over a game like he should. Brian showed what a quality defender can do to him

Melbourne - See Fremantle. Jurrah is probably a bit overhyped, but I don't think anyone generally rates him as anything other than exciting.

North - Brent Harvey; He is quick, but just not that good, as evidenced by the result of the Brownlow last year, all the hype for no result. Has managed to put in one or two blinders against us, however. At the start of this year, Hale would have won this in a canter.

Port - Danyle Pearce; Has done ab-so-lute-ly nothing since 2006.

Richmond - See Freo & Melbourne. Potentially Newman.

St. Kilda - Stephen Milne; Is just pure junk, small, annoying, and a complete hanger on. The worst player ever to kick 11 goals. Kossie worth a mention, although, in fairness to him, has done well considering his injuries.

Sydney - Michael O'Loughlin; Has since retired, but was always the third best forward, despite Syndey having no forwards better. A good player, but a very overrated one

West Coast - Daniel Kerr; has shown how rubbish he really is after being deserted by the rest of the old West Coast midfield. See Danyle Pearce.

Western Bulldogs - None, all champions. Seriously though, probably Eagleton, Everitt or maybe Griffen.

lemmon
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Im not sure if he is rated as highly as he was but Brock Mclean is one who hasn't done much in a while. Was front runner for captaincy a while back.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Good thread.

Adealaide - No-one; their whole team is underrated

By who? those in WA?

Happy Days
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
By who? those in WA?

No, by those here too :)

anfo27
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Why am I being harsh? I'm not saying he is a crap player I'm saying I think he is overrated in the media. I never ever hear anyone in the media talk about Cross so I'm not sure how you could draw comparisons? We are talking about comparing overrated players, not comparing similar type players. If you want to compare similar type players, D. Cross Best and Fairest =1 J. Watson Best and Fairest=0. Watson's a good player but gimme a break James Hird when you say that no other player is more valuable to their team than Watson is to Essendon.

Jobe Watson will probably win the B & F this year. I think James Hird knows what he is talking about and i for one agree with him. The guy doesn't have good hands he has exceptional hands. I loathe Essendon & their supporters but i try not to let it cloud my judgement.

I thought Maxwell was over rated too but changed my mind after we lost to Collingwood. Thought he was one of the reasons they won & he gets the most out of the ability he was given.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Hawthorn - Buddy Franklin; was a star last year, this year was very patchy, and never really took over a game like he should. Brian showed what a quality defender can do to him

Not sure I agree with this. Franklin still kicked over 50 goals despite having an ordinary season. He still won Hawthorn a couple of games off his own boot and although he wasn't as influential this year, he isn't overrated at all. Lake killed Franklin in our only match this year but realistically it's only one game. The guy did boot 8 of the best against us in the QF of 2008.

I think Murphy would be our most overrated player.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Bartel isn't as good as the media makes him out to be. He had a very good '07 but even then I didn't think he was in the top 2 or 3 midfielders of the competition. In any case, he's only had that one season to suggest he is one of the best midfielders in the game. Not sure he's really lived up to that 'hype' since though. Ablett, Selwood and Corey would all be head of him IMO.

Topdog
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM

You are being harsh. Commentators have to talk about someone and lets face it Jobe is quite easily their best midfielder. They always only say that he is Essendon's best player and I don't recall anyone in the media claiming he should be AA.

jazzadogs
06-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Not sure I agree with this. Franklin still kicked over 50 goals despite having an ordinary season. He still won Hawthorn a couple of games off his own boot and although he wasn't as influential this year, he isn't overrated at all. Lake killed Franklin in our only match this year but realistically it's only one game. The guy did boot 8 of the best against us in the QF of 2008.

I think Murphy would be our most overrated player.
Agree that Buddy isn't overrated...he deserves all the praise he gets. Don't think Selwood is overrated either, although as I mentioned in a previous thread I don't like his jelly-legs when touched.

I reckon our most overrated would be Griffen, he really needs to build on his potential.

Dale Thomas is a joke.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Agree that Buddy isn't overrated...he deserves all the praise he gets. Don't think Selwood is overrated either, although as I mentioned in a previous thread I don't like his jelly-legs when touched.

I reckon our most overrated would be Griffen, he really needs to build on his potential.

Dale Thomas is a joke.

Yep. Selwood drives me nuts and moreso the umpires who fall for it every time. It's a joke.

The only reason I didn't say Griffen is because I don't think people talk him up like they used to. The supporters and media have both been on Griff's back the entire year. Murphy on the other hand, seems to fly under the radar. I know he's had a few injuries but Murph rarely performs in the big games and particularly Finals.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
No, by those here too :)

I would have thought its the opposite. In Adelaide they are definetely overrated. The way the played the last month I doubt they are underated. People in Melbourne say they are a major chance not only to beat the pies but geelong also.

Rance Fan
06-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Judds overrated. Ok he does get clearances but his kicking is average
G Albett overrated. Stats aint everything, oftens gets cheap handballs.

Look their great players but they aint all that!
:p

Happy Days
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I would have thought its the opposite. In Adelaide they are definetely overrated. The way the played the last month I doubt they are underated. People in Melbourne say they are a major chance not only to beat the pies but geelong also.

I don't actually think they get their due dilligence. They did just put up 150 on two finals teams. Imagine if Collingwood did that?

hujsh
06-09-2009, 10:21 PM

I'd doubt the individual players have a much higher profile or are rated better than they were before though.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't actually think they get their due dilligence. They did just put up 150 on two finals teams. Imagine if Collingwood did that?

Thats becuase Collingwood are overated not that Adelaide is underated

BulldogBelle
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Definitely Daisy Thomas. It's like they just expect the stereotypical blonde hair poster boys to be complete and utter stars these days. A star he aint.

LostDoggy
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd doubt the individual players have a much higher profile or are rated better than they were before though.

Otten finished 2nd in the rising star, dangerfield and few others were up there too.
Tippett is wanted by everyone.
We all know how good the McLeods, Goodwins, Edwards are.

1eyedog
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
You are being harsh. Commentators have to talk about someone and lets face it Jobe is quite easily their best midfielder. They always only say that he is Essendon's next player and I don't recall anyone in the media claiming he should be AA.

I said it wasn't an overly fair assessment, but it's my opinion and I certainly haven't watched every one of his games but I've watched a few. He is one touch but he has average disposal and can be easily pressured.

ratsmac
06-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Brad johnson is the most overated player in the AFL, aarrr you should of seen your face just then, just kidding, he's a star.
Daisy Thomas is a chump and is really up there in the overated stakes.
Joel Selwood is a gun, if he wore a red white and blue jumper we would love those jelly legs.
I don't know if Jobe Watson is overated though, because if i remember rightly he has always been maligned IMO.
Cam Mooney - overated
Ryan Griffen - overated (especially by me)
Carlton FC - overated, got their just deserves against Brisbane.
Stephen Milne - I just just hate that little so and so.
Anthony Rocca - overated by Mick Malthouse. He was good in his day, Sav was way better though.
Nick Maxwell - Overated not sure, I know a lot of magpies supporters that were very upset when he was appointed captain. He has played a good captains year of footy IMO. Definatly surprised me.
Geelong FC - overated right now. Yes they beat us, but we were terrible with about 5 or 6 passengers, and they only won by 14 points and we kicked ourselves out of a much closer or different result.

ratsmac
06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Ryan Griffen - overated (especially by me)

Sorry For being hard on griff, but we all love him and are somewhat teased by his potential. He has had an emotional year and done really well considering. Come on Griff.

Sockeye Salmon
07-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Overrated Hall of Fame

James Hird
Gavin Wanganeen
Luke Ball
Daisy Thomas
Nick Stevens

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Chris Judd (Carlton version - slow, petulant, unaccountable and designated protected species by umps)

Cyril Rioli (had one good year and didn't do anything this year, but commentators get weak at the knees if he even looks at the ball)

Nick Stevens (oooh, watch him pass the ball perfectly once or twice every game just like every other player in the league does from time to time)

Farren Ray (St. Kilda version - wow, he played a few great games at the start of his stint at a new club and now everything he touches is gold, even if it is just catching the ball and kicking it)

Every Collingwood debutant (Oooh, watch out, he can run, kick AND catch, this kid is going to be the next Peter Daicos/Leigh Matthews etc. -- quick, it doesn't matter if Callan Ward got 30 possessions, 16 tackles and 12 goals this week, give [insert Collingwood debutant's name here] the Rising Star nomination for tying his shoelaces!)

Mofra
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Jarrod Brennan - flashy but inconsistent
Tim Boyle - Pelchan wanted a straight swap for Higgins!
Jesse W Smith - Less durable than Tom Williams
Jordan McMahon - Not worth the pick 19 the Tigers rated him at :)

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 04:25 PM
What about Justin Koschitzke?

The Coon Dog
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
What about Justin Koschitzke?

Always seems to play well against us!

Scraggers
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
In my opinion, it is Gary Ablett Jr.

He gets a heap of the ball but is not team oriented and makes stupid mistakes ...

His disposal is average; a lot of the times he is made to look better than he is becuase of his team mates around him either running to his average disposals or getting the ball to him

In saying all that, he'll probably go and win the Brownlow now :rolleyes:

jazzadogs
07-09-2009, 05:03 PM

He gets a heap of the ball but is not team oriented and makes stupid mistakes ...

His disposal is average; a lot of the times he is made to look better than he is becuase of his team mates around him either running to his average disposals or getting the ball to him

In saying all that, he'll probably go and win the Brownlow now :rolleyes:
I reckon he annoys the umpires too much with his whinging. I hope he doesn't win again...was pleased to see Boyd high in the Brownlow betting, but also surprised.
Gablett is a good player though...I think everyone realises now that 40touches doesn't mean all that much, but he does do some good things. Riewoldt should win the AFLPA MVP in a canter...will be interesting to see what the players think.

AndrewP6
07-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I reckon he annoys the umpires too much with his whinging. I hope he doesn't win again...w

If he annoys them, they don't show it... he gets looked after a lot... and I too hope he doesn't win it... but think he might.

Topdog
08-09-2009, 08:39 AM

They are going into this weekends game against Collingwood as favourites.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Geez there is a lot of posters potting Gabblett........another win of the AFLPA, surely that tells you something!! only one word for him... Champion!!

Desipura
08-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Did you see him burn off three of his opponents out of the centre? Then he grabbed it off the ruckman and sprinted off and delivered on his left to Mooney for a goal.
Is an absolute jet, would love him in the tri colors.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Definantly Thomas. Average player at best does freaky things occasionally but doesn't do the hard stuff.

Sockeye Salmon
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Overrated Hall of Fame

James Hird
Gavin Wanganeen
Luke Ball
Daisy Thomas
Nick Stevens

Forgot Jeff Farmer

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Just about every player in Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton.