PDA

View Full Version : Only mystery is how Bulldogs gots so close to Geelong

Mantis
07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Only mystery is how Bulldogs got so close to Geelong (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26035696-19742,00.html)
Mike Sheahan | September 07, 2009 12:00am

THOSE in the Western Bulldogs camp honest enough to confront the truth will say they got stage-fright on Saturday. They were outclassed by Geelong early in the game and never produced the exhilarating football that had carried them to third place.

The Cats had the best seven or eight players in the game, even allowing for the persistence of Lindsay Gilbee and Brian Lake, and Jason Akermanis's three goals.

Nothing of any consequence from way too many, principally Ryan Griffen, Josh Hill, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn and Will Minson. Even Bobby Murphy had a poor one by his standards.

So, how the hell did the Bulldogs finish just 14 points short?

Had Adam Cooney, the Brownlow medallist, and Brad Johnson, the captain, converted relatively simple opportunities in the last quarter, who knows what might have eventuated?

Oddly, the Doggies kicked 10.9 after quarter-time to Geelong's 8.7.

And this is a Geelong with Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright, Jimmy Bartel, Darren Milburn, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey and Andrew Mackie all at or near the top of their game.

It's crazy, really.

Perhaps that's why Rodney Eade says the Doggies aren't done with just yet.

They face the Brisbane Lions, the banged-up Lions, at the MCG Friday night.

Eade has to decide to keep the faith in the players who took the club to third, or inject fresh blood.

Andrejs Everitt springs to mind.

The Doggies look cumbersome with both Minson and Ben Hudson in the team. Everitt could be used like the Lions have used Jared Brennan, a smaller, more athletic ruck type.

Not sure what the coach has in mind in front of goal.

The Doggies and their supporters can say what they like about how heavily the team has scored this year, but finals are different.

When players are under pressure, the bail-out tactic is to kick long and hard, and hope.

Not really the textbook way when the bloke camped under the long bomb is Akermanis, Johnson, Hill, Nathan Eagleton or Shaun Higgins.

The key indicators - contested possessions, clearances, inside-50s - were almost identical, as the margin suggested, yet Geelong had all the good players.

I'm not sure about either of them just yet.

LostDoggy
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Nothing of any consequence from way too many, principally Ryan Griffen, Josh Hill, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn and Will Minson.

And this is a Geelong with Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright, Jimmy Bartel, Darren Milburn, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey and Andrew Mackie all at or near the top of their game.

Not sure what the coach has in mind in front of goal.

Not really the textbook way when the bloke camped under the long bomb is Akermanis, Johnson, Hill, Nathan Eagleton or Shaun Higgins.

The only mystery here is how a bloke who can't put a grammatically correct sentence together runs a writing department for a major daily. None of the above sentences would pass a basic language test.

bornadog
07-09-2009, 12:00 PM
The only mystery here is how a bloke who can't put a grammatically correct sentence together runs a writing department for a major daily. None of the above sentences would pass a basic language test.

Good comeback, disgraceful journalism.:D

Remi Moses
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Well it is the daily tabloid. Makes Robinson look like a genius:eek:

azabob
07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Forget the grammer etc etc, he is right.
How did we get so close?

Who does this say more about?

Geelong or the Bulldogs.

Mantis
07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Who does this say more about?

Geelong or the Bulldogs.

Geelong.

Their best players played well and our best players played poorly yet they still only beat us by 14 points. They were absolutely ripe for the picking and we didn't take our chance.

We really blew this one.

Sedat
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Geelong.

Their best players played well and our best players played poorly yet they still only beat us by 14 points. They were absolutely ripe for the picking and we didn't take our chance.

We really blew this one.
I reckon it's all academic. St Kilda are comfortably better than the field at the moment and have been all season. I'll go as far as to say if Adelaide overcomes Collingwood next week, they will make the GF. Geelong are just going - still enough brilliance and class to get the job done against us but we could not have played into their hands more if we tried. Adelaide will not indiscriminantly bomb the ball into their forward 50 like we did - plus they actually have some overhead quality up forward that Geelong's defenders will need to pay closer attention to rather than peel off and consistently play 3rd man up.

Bulldog Revolution
08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Geelong.

We really blew this one.

If this season does not end with a Grand Final appearance that it is going to be the painful cross to bare all summer

It was absolutely there for the taking, and our senior players played with none of the desperation required.

Extremely disappointing

Desipura
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
If this season does not end with a Grand Final appearance that it is going to be the painful cross to bare all summer
Exactly my thoughts but some people want to wait until the end of the year to make the call. It makes no difference, if we do not at least play off in a GF, I do not believe we would have improved as a team from last season.

The Coon Dog
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Exactly my thoughts but some people want to wait until the end of the year to make the call. It makes no difference, if we do not at least play off in a GF, I do not believe we would have improved as a team from last season.

Me!!

bornadog
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM

The one thing we have done which is an improvement, is we have got more game time into some young players like Ward, Harbrow, Hill, Higgins, Stack, Reid, gave Grant a taste and Minson has more responsibility and is starting to mature at 24 years old.

Hopefully after this week we can say we have gained more improvement by belting Brisbane and St Kilda:D

Desipura
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Me!!
Why is it too early to see we would not have improved on last year if we do not play in a GF? TCD, you and I and alot of posters have been to far too many losing prelim's

The Coon Dog
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Why is it too early to see we would not have improved on last year if we do not play in a GF? TCD, you and I and alot of posters have been to far too many losing prelim's

I just reckon its too simplistic to say we're better or worse dependent upon whether we win or lose a Prelim.

Desipura
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I just reckon its too simplistic to say we're better or worse dependent upon whether we win or lose a Prelim.
I think its that black and white or should I say red white and blue. If we lost a preliminary final with a young key forward that we had discovered during the year, as well as Williams playing good consistent footy down back, that would be another story.
Sure we have found improvement in individual players, however our team structure has similar weaknesses to last year,

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Agree with that.

I do believe we have a better side in 2009, but of course the competition does not stand still. St Kilda have undoubtedly improved more than any other side and we have seen significant improvement in Collingwood, Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton and even Essendon.

The sides that slipped were Sydney (aging list), North Melbourne (Shinboner Spirit only goes so far) Hawthorn (Injury, Premiership Hangover and a couple of rule chnages) and Richmond ( Tanned Terry's non contact game had reached its used by date around September 2000).

The challenge is that continual improvement is required just to maintain your position relative to the competition. To advance requires a significant improvement.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Geelong.

We really blew this one.

That's about it right there.

The reason we got so close is that Geelong really aren't that great. They were very poor in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Their first quarter was top notch and they hammered us for 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter. Super disappointing.

Raw Toast
09-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Agree with this, but I'll still be disappointed if we don't get into the Granny, because we've shown at times this year that can put it all together (the Cats played better than us, but we should've done better).

anfo27
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
They were absolutely ripe for the picking and we didn't take our chance.

We really blew this one.

Spot on Mantis couldn't agree anymore.

That was the our big chance & we just didn't work hard enough. I was so gutted with that performance particularly that 1st quarter, where was that intensity we had 2 weeks ago?

I just get annoyed when i read in the paper "we're going to bring that pressure this week"
what a load of crap where was it when it mattered most.

BulldogBelle
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Our boys just need to realise that finals football is different to the regular season, in the fact that the intensity of the game increases significantly

Geelong kew this, and lifted their intensity in all areas, whereas we didnt

Hawthorn and Geelong did this to us last year, and against quality opposition we cant affoard to not lift our intensity

If we dont lift our game, we will prove to the world that wankers like Grant Thomas are correct, that we are mentally weak

Intensity comes more from above the shoulders than it comes from below