PDA

View Full Version : Random Dog-Related Talk

Go_Dogs
30-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I often want to comment on things, but they don't really need a whole thread dedicated to them. I thought a little thread where we could post random chatter that isn't really thread worthy in could be a good addition. If any mod/admin feels otherwise, that is fine. :)

Will Minson.
Will looked pretty unco, a bit slow and a bit unsure of himself on the weekend. He looks like a player who is struggling to work out what he's meant to be doing after the ball up. His ruck work is never going to be GREAT, but again there were times when he nearly perfectly palmed the ball to Cooney for example. Some encouraging signs. He didn't give away too many stupid free kicks on Sunday, and generally attack the ball OK.

I feel that Will really needs to add some more tricks. I'd like to see him drop back into the hole in the back half of the ground after the ruck contest. He doesn't need to do much, just sit a kick behind the play and try to contest the ball as it's moved forward. At the moment it seems he is just drifting around a bit aimlessly, and because he has been out of touch, he isn't finding much of the ball, or having much impact on the game at all. If he could play a kick behind the play, he could certainly help our defense a bit, and perhaps get his hands on the ball a bit, and throw his weight around.

Thoughts?

Also, Boydy's new haircut was pretty short. He looked different.

Everyone keep there eyes on Hurn this weekend too.

dog town
30-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Not really football related but alot of people have different user names on here than they have on BF. Find it hard to figure out who is who. Can anyone give me a list of the main ones?

Agree on Boydy. Looks like Morris from a distance now.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, very good off his boot. He's a pretty complete player already, he has good skills, he's tough, he can play back, forward, midfield, he's good inside... He's a player that I'm going to enjoy following over the next few years for sure. I think if he'd been playing for any side other than West Coast we'd already know alot more about him.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Does anyone think Faulkner will get a run in the next month or so?

Twodogs
01-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Heard some interesting talk on SEN today. A caller rang in and said that the reason Geelong took so long to comlete their review at the end of last season is because they had a serious and fair dinkum go at trying to get Eade.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Does anyone think Faulkner will get a run in the next month or so?

He look generally close on the weekend McMahon, it was close to as well as I have seen him play over 4 quarters at VFL level

although I probably should watch the tape

I think we will get a chance

Go_Dogs
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Heard some interesting talk on SEN today. A caller rang in and said that the reason Geelong took so long to comlete their review at the end of last season is because they had a serious and fair dinkum go at trying to get Eade.

Anyone else know anything about this?

First I'd heard of that... interesting. I think Rocket is pretty comfortable coaching the Dogs for an extended period of time.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
In 5 years time, who do you guys think will be regarded as our best player? Obviously out of those who'd still be playing in 5 years time.

Dry Rot
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
In 5 years time, who do you guys think will be regarded as our best player? Obviously out of those who'd still be playing in 5 years time.

To win premierships, you'd hope it would be a KPP.

southerncross
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM

I think Griffen but it wouldn't surprise me to see Cooney or Higgins as the best player. McMahon is also a chance.

bornadog
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Cooney, once he is fully fit he is going to be an absolute gun. His ability to read the play, his pace and kicking are already top class. After 5 years we will look at his career and he may even have a brownlow.

bornadog
03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
It was great to listen to Murphy for the hour yesterday on SEN, he is such a character. He decided to stir up his mate Browny by announcing that Brown had been losing his hair when he was with the dogs and Murph said he is pretty sure he has plugs. Of Course, Brown rang through, it was quiet funny.

Following this a stupid Richmond supporter rang up and accused Murphy and bulldogs supporters not getting over Brown's move to Richmond, he just didn't get the jokes Murph was playing.

LostDoggy
03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Following this a stupid Richmond supporter rang up and accused Murphy and bulldogs supporters not getting over Brown's move to Richmond, he just didn't get the jokes Murph was playing.

I'm sorry for those that listen to SEN but a lot of the demographic of that station are of low IQ. I can't listen to innane rubbish for too long.

bornadog
03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry for those that listen to SEN but a lot of the demographic of that station are of low IQ. I can't listen to innane rubbish for too long.

Mofra
04-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Mark West - will he still be at the club at the end of the year?

GVGjr
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Mark West - will he still be at the club at the end of the year?

Michael 'Lamby' West? Very doubtful I would say. Described as a 'clunky' forward when we drafted him he just hasn't been able to force his way into the Bees starting line-up.
Shame he has had injury concerns because at 195cm and reasonably mobile he might have been an option for us as a key forward. Would need a few things to fall his way if he is to be be kept around for another season.

LostDoggy
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Yes, very good off his boot. He's a pretty complete player already, he has good skills, he's tough, he can play back, forward, midfield, he's good inside... He's a player that I'm going to enjoy following over the next few years for sure. I think if he'd been playing for any side other than West Coast we'd already know alot more about him.

Does anyone else think we suffer by not drafting a few players like Hurn? Do we place too much emphasis on pure speed?

Dry Rot
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Does anyone else think we suffer by not drafting a few players like Hurn? Do we place too much emphasis on pure speed?

Absoluelt. A couple of Brock McLeans would help us no end.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Absoluelt. A couple of Brock McLeans would help us no end.

I agree. West Coast nearly ALWAYS takes a good, tough inside player with their first selection. In Cooney and Griffen, as well as Higgins I think we have 3 who are likely types. Addison appears to be a bit the same too, a good, tough inside player. West Coast just have such a good mixture of tough, young guys, who have good skills, good ability to read the play, can execute at pace... Our mix is improving though. I'm sure Stack will add something too. I guess Faulkner is perhaps another who hasn't quite come on like we'd hoped, although he must be VERY close.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2007, 02:44 PM

IMO I think Griffen. His frame is still developing but he already is no featherweight.. once he learns a few more of the tricks of the trade I think he could be the perfect hybrid of an inside/outside player. Has both the bulk and sheer confidence in his ability to break a tackle and run lines.. yet also has the speed and disposal to be the outside player.
Furthermore I think that in the later stages of his career he will be able to move forward and be a genuine marking target.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Who'd be leading the B&F at the moment?

southerncross
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM

McMahon and Cross would be my prediction.

bornadog
07-05-2007, 10:25 PM

I think Boyd would be up there as well

Go_Dogs
13-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Not really Dog related, but certainly random I guess.

Shannon Hurn won this weeks rising star. Anyone catch his game on Friday night? Very impressive. I highly doubt we'd even consider chasing him, but keep your eyes on this lad, as he's one who I think will develop into a very, very good AFL footballer.

southerncross
13-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Not really Dog related, but certainly random I guess.

Shannon Hurn won this weeks rising star. Anyone catch his game on Friday night? Very impressive. I highly doubt we'd even consider chasing him, but keep your eyes on this lad, as he's one who I think will develop into a very, very good AFL footballer.

He is just on SEN now. Very good hard at it footballer with a thumping kick. He always looked good in the red, white and blue of Centrals. Shame we couldn't select him and Higgins :)

dog town
13-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Kicks like a mule. West Coast are certainly rarely scared of drafting players who drop in draft calculations just before the draft. Guys like McKinley, Hurn, Waters and all the way back to Paul Johnson all dropped in most peoples estimations prior to the draft only to be picked up by West Coast. Fair to say all of them fell due to being pretty big kids and not expected to have that much improvement in them. Waters and Hurn still went relatively early but nothing like what their u/18 performances warranted. Probably a few other examples as well. My point is that they seem to be quite willing to draft pretty much any body shape or size as long as they can play footy. Not praising or criticising just making an observaton.

Hurn was always going to make an impact early with his size and style. How far he goes will be interesting.

Go_Dogs
13-06-2007, 08:43 PM
You'd think that a player with all his attributes will become a pretty dangerous inside midfielder once he builds the motor.

DT interested to hear as to why you think the 'bigger' bodied kids drop a bit, and certainly regarding Hurn, have not much improvement left in them? Guys who kick the ball as well as Shannon and have good size and strength are built for the game I would think, and it seems a bit strange as to why clubs would be hesitant. I'd certainly prefer the upside of someone like Shannon, who not only has a lot of development in learning the game, but can also already execute at the standard required, to a player like Ray who is a bit slighter of body and not as much football experience. It seems these days, (from an outsiders perspective), that a lot of clubs draft on potential upsides, rather than who can actually play the game and is determined to make it happen. Obviously this isn't true in every instance, but it's becoming pretty common.

dog town
14-06-2007, 04:00 PM
You'd think that a player with all his attributes will become a pretty dangerous inside midfielder once he builds the motor.

DT interested to hear as to why you think the 'bigger' bodied kids drop a bit, and certainly regarding Hurn, have not much improvement left in them? Guys who kick the ball as well as Shannon and have good size and strength are built for the game I would think, and it seems a bit strange as to why clubs would be hesitant. I'd certainly prefer the upside of someone like Shannon, who not only has a lot of development in learning the game, but can also already execute at the standard required, to a player like Ray who is a bit slighter of body and not as much football experience. It seems these days, (from an outsiders perspective), that a lot of clubs draft on potential upsides, rather than who can actually play the game and is determined to make it happen. Obviously this isn't true in every instance, but it's becoming pretty common.
Its certainly not my view but I think most clubs tend to drop a kid in their player rankings a little bit if he already has a big frame or is stronger than alot of the other kids. They dont write them off completely as a prospect but with guys like Waters, Hurn, McLean and others its clear that they are dropped down the pecking order slightly due to recruiters perhaps not seeing as much improvement in them. Some logic to it IMO given that obviously the extra strength helps them to excel at u/18 level but there is 2 sides to it. When Coons struggled in his first year some people said that he had been a big kid and was now getting found out but actually alot of those bigger kids like Coons (not that he was huge) and McLean from that year have alot of puppy fat and are not really toned up so they still have another level to go to. They are also generally naturally gifted when it comes to winning the ball in close so the extra fitness from an afl preparation just allows them to get to more contests and that probably out weighs any coming back to the field that occurs in regards to size. I dont think anyone that is an atrocious runner can play AFL these days but as long as a guy can cover the ground and use the ball then they are a chance.

As a rule my favourite players are the natural footballers and I hope they dont completely come out of the game. I think teams that are keeping a footballer first and athlete second policy are getting more rewards than the clubs that are not. I believe we are somewhere in between the two.

Go_Dogs
14-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I see your point, it's a bit of both, and I agree, it seems that those who go footballer first, athlete second are getting good rewards. We do seem to be in the middle ground, and I think we certainly have 3 recently drafted players that fit the natural footballer model in Cooney, Griff and Higgins.

That's what I like about South Australia in that a lot of the time, the kids who get drafted have already played against men at league level, rather than just having played U/18's, so the 'big kid' comparison is not as relevant as to some of the Vic kids I guess who have only played TAC etc.

Mofra
14-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I see your point, it's a bit of both, and I agree, it seems that those who go footballer first, athlete second are getting good rewards. We do seem to be in the middle ground, and I think we certainly have 3 recently drafted players that fit the natural footballer model in Cooney, Griff and Higgins.
Brock McLean is another example.

On the flip side, Walker has underperformed at Carlton (athlete), yet we might have won one of these selection depending on how Williams performs for the remainder of the year.

southerncross
14-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Brock McLean is another example.

On the flip side, Walker has underperformed at Carlton (athlete), yet we might have won one of these selection depending on how Williams performs for the remainder of the year.

I'm not sure that Walker has actually underperformed. He's not and out and out ball winner like Cooney but he is a pretty good footballer imo.

Bulldog Revolution
15-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Kicks like a mule. West Coast are certainly rarely scared of drafting players who drop in draft calculations just before the draft. Guys like McKinley, Hurn, Waters and all the way back to Paul Johnson all dropped in most peoples estimations prior to the draft only to be picked up by West Coast. Fair to say all of them fell due to being pretty big kids and not expected to have that much improvement in them. Waters and Hurn still went relatively early but nothing like what their u/18 performances warranted. Probably a few other examples as well. My point is that they seem to be quite willing to draft pretty much any body shape or size as long as they can play footy. Not praising or criticising just making an observaton.

Hurn was always going to make an impact early with his size and style. How far he goes will be interesting.

interesting post

It looks like Johnson dropped for good reason - but they still sold him on for a reasonable draft pick - The Eagles are clearly good at what they do

Go_Dogs
17-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Port have got some great value from the 2006 draft haven't they. They pinched Krakouer, who we really liked, Boak who debuted today and has been in good touch in the SANFL, Robbie Gray, who looks to be a VERY promising player from the few times I've seen him (who they got with #55), and Westhoff, whose a tall marking forward with excellent hands, having an impact who was picked up at #77. They must be very pleased.

Go_Dogs
19-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Just a quick question about how the priority pick system is going to work this year. My understanding is, if Carlton don't win more than 4 games, and as they finished bottom last year in the 'priority' section also, this season they'll get picks 1, and either 3/4? Depending on where Melbourne/Richmond finish?

I thought the whole purpose of the new system was to prevent this happening, and instead giving another selection at the start of the second round? Seems odd that failure to improve gets rewarded so highly.

The Coon Dog
19-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Just a quick question about how the priority pick system is going to work this year. My understanding is, if Carlton don't win more than 4 games, and as they finished bottom last year in the 'priority' section also, this season they'll get picks 1, and either 3/4? Depending on where Melbourne/Richmond finish?

I thought the whole purpose of the new system was to prevent this happening, and instead giving another selection at the start of the second round? Seems odd that failure to improve gets rewarded so highly.

Your assesment is spot on.

If you win 4 games or less your priority pick is AFTER round 1. Should you fail to win more than 4 games in a SECOND CONSECUTIVE season, then your priority pick is BEFORE round 1.

I think all Tigers fans want the Blues to win one more game, which is enough for me to hope they win no more games.

bornadog
19-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I think all Tigers fans want the Blues to win one more game, which is enough for me to hope they win no more games.

I do like the fact that both the tigers and Blues are on the bottom, but I don't like the fact they get early draft picks.:(

Go_Dogs
19-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Carlton will then have 3 #1 picks from the last 3 years in their side. Just doesn't seem right, especially since it's their own doing that has put them in this position.