PDA

View Full Version : Friday night weather - very windy

angelopetraglia
08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Weather forecast for Friday night (at this stage);

Partly cloudy. Patchy morning fog. Winds northerly increasing up to 60 km/h tending northwesterly in the evening and easing.

City. Very windy. Min 9. Max 23.

60 km/h is very, very windy.

Don't know how that kind of wind impacts footballl on the MCG with the new stands, but it has to have some kind of impact when it is that windy (it was only 25 km/h on Saturday and it felt very windy outside the ground).

Don't know if it is a benefits us or the Lions, except that it makes everything a little more uncertain.

I'd rather play them in absolute perfect conditions where the weather is no factor at all.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 07:21 PM
That would benefit the Lions.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Takes me back to a Friday night Qualifying Final against the Eagles in 1999. It was a very windy night and we kept on kicking it out on the full. We ended up losing by 5 points, it was a horrible, horrible game to watch.

The Pie Man
08-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Takes me back to a Friday night Qualifying Final against the Eagles in 1999. It was a very windy night and we kept on kicking it out on the full. We ended up losing by 5 points, it was a horrible, horrible game to watch.

Thought the exact same thing - the wind was very swirly that night, a bit whirlwindy in parts of the ground (I know that sounded dumb)

bulldogtragic
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Makes for an average game of footy...

soupman
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Bugger. Not only is that bad news for us cause it favours Brisbane, but I'm in a Grand Final saturday and that favours the opposition as well.

LostDoggy
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
How does wind favour one team over the other?

dog town
09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I am not so sure it favours Brisbane. Brisbane rely mainly on two big marking forwards and precision kicking. They dont have a lot of depth or cover across the ground and are just awful in the contest. They dont get inside all that quickly (slow to react when the ball hits the ground) and get murdered by teams that can move the ball quickly away from congestion.

The first thing that happens when its windy is the ball spends a heap of time on the ground and you have a lot more contests. Leg speed and carrying the footy by hand become more important. We have that over them well and truly. The lions have a bit of speed in the back half but they mainly rely on kicking the ball with penetration and accuracy to the 2 big leading forwards. The wind will help us to minimise the effect they have. The lions also love to use the corridor which is a big risk in the wind. Most coaches number 1 rule when kicking in the wind is stay out of the corridor unless its 100 %.

Amazing this week that so many are bagging our players for not believing but we get a breath of wind forecast and people automatically assume we are in trouble. We finished 3rd for a reason, we are a good side. We should be able to win this in any conditions as long as we play it smart. Keep the handpasses short, run the extra 5 or so meters to shorten the handpasses (dont want long sweeping handpasses in swirly conditions), get numbers to support around the footy. Collectively we are a better side so the wind shouldn't change that.

LostDoggy
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
It favours the more skilled team and that is us

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Bom update

Forecast for Friday
Mostly sunny. Winds northerly averaging up to 25 km/h tending north to northwesterly increasing to 40 to 50 km/h during the afternoon.

City Windy. Min 8 Max 23

A little better than first expected

angelopetraglia
10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
4:20pm update. Change again.

Forecast for Friday

Mainly sunny although high cloud increasing late in the day. Winds north to northwesterly up to 50 km/h during the morning and locally reaching 60km/h at times during the afternoon.

City. Mostly sunny. Windy. Min 7. Max 23.

In a nutshell. Windy, windy, windy.

GVGjr
10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
4:20pm update. Change again.

Forecast for Friday

Mainly sunny although high cloud increasing late in the day. Winds north to northwesterly up to 50 km/h during the morning and locally reaching 60km/h at times during the afternoon.

City. Mostly sunny. Windy. Min 7. Max 23.

In a nutshell. Windy, windy, windy.

I wonder how much of a bearing will the conditions have on the game?

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Could be a 5-6 goal breeze :o

angelopetraglia
10-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Interesting question.

Before the new stands, the wind was very swirly and made for a scrappy contest (without favouring either end). There were gaping holes and the wind would rush in with some force when it was extreme (i.e. 30km/h +). Just think about how bad it was that infamous Friday night final Vs the Eagles in 1999.

It will have an impact, even with the new stands, just not sure how much protection the new Northern stand gives. There are no holes for the wind to rush into. The wind makes everything a little less certain and generally more unpredictable. Not sure who that favours.

Has anyone been to game at the MCG since the new stands when it has been super windy?

Remi Moses
10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
No excuses we need intensity and tackling. The wind doesn't work for anyone really:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 11:06 PM
The wind might help our kicking for goals, instead of hitting the post.

angelopetraglia
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Super windy at the moment.

70 km/h with gusts up to 96 km/h!

If it is like this in 7 hours time it is going to be a very scrappy game.

neodog
11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
If its windy, the lions will have a better advantage as their midfielders need to do is slam it on the boot in the direction of Brown/Bradshaw compare with our precise passes to ACKA and others.

Desipura
11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
If its windy, the lions will have a better advantage as their midfielders need to do is slam it on the boot in the direction of Brown/Bradshaw compare with our precise passes to ACKA and others.
it could go over the twin towers heads, harder for them to read in the air;)

comrade
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm sure our defenders won't just allow Brown and Bradshaw to mark uncontested.

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Run and carry, run and carry, run and carry!

Cyberdoggie
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
It was blowing a gale around lunch here.
Seems to have slowed a bit now thankfully.

Happy Days
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Looking very windy outside, outside being 10 minutes away from the G.

angelopetraglia
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Just about to leave.

Just saw a live cross (interview with Leon Cameron) in the forward pocket.

The hair of the presenter was all over the place. Definitely very windy inside the G at the moment.

LostDoggy
17-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Just started spitting rain outside.

Thought id check the weather for tomorrow

Forecast for Friday

Sunny. Light winds.
City Sunny.
Min 8 Max 20

Nice. No ridiculous weather tomorrow

Sedat
17-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice. No ridiculous weather tomorrow
Wouldn't have minded some swirly winds tomorrow night. We would have had an ideal run in these conditions a week prior, and the winds would not make life any easier for Roo and Kosi, just as it made things difficult for Brown and Bradshaw last week.

Hot_Doggies
17-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't have minded some swirly winds tomorrow night. We would have had an ideal run in these conditions a week prior, and the winds would not make life any easier for Roo and Kosi, just as it made things difficult for Brown and Bradshaw last week.

Disagree.

St Kilda will choke us to death if it is windy. We need still , dry conditions to pin point passes and cut them up with run.

Sedat
17-09-2009, 12:31 PM
St Kilda will choke us to death if it is windy. We need still , dry conditions to pin point passes and cut them up with run.
We didn't need pristine elements to cut the Lions up last week with our run and carry - what we needed to do was win the clearance and contested possession battle, which we did easily. Nothing changes tomorrow night on that front.

On the occasions that Brisbane got first use of the ball at the stoppages last week, they had all sorts of trouble spotting up Brown and Bradshaw in dangerous positions. All a moot point anyway as it won't be as windy tomorrow night.