PDA

View Full Version : Edihad Stadium vs The MCG

mighty_west
08-09-2009, 07:24 PM
With finals up & running, and playing the big games at the MCG, the on going issues with money paid to clubs from Edihad Stadium with the current deal, Collo & his crew not seeming to budge etc etc.

Would you prefer our club to change home grounds to the home of footy? Are you happy with playing home games at Edihad? If we had an opportunity to [i'm not sure if we are able to anyway], but we would still play away games at the Dome.

The Pie Man
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Depends on the deal, but I always like going to the G - selfishly, I'm on the Epping line which makes it very easy.

30,000 at Docklands probably beats 30,000 at the G for atmosphere though. We've had really good attendences there this year and some cracking games/crowd involvement. I also like standing room at Docklands (which it wasn't designed for) a much better view of the ground and decent tvs in view.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
We don't have the opportunity to change as we are still under contract to play the majority of our games at ES (hope I am wrong).

If is it close to being financially even, I would want us to play our home games at the MCG. It would help prepare us for the finals and is easier on players bodies than ES. Personally, I am an AFLM and I would just about be getting better seats for no additional costs than the reserved seats I have on Level 2.

ES main benefit is that it's easier to get to traveling from the West and obviously, it is closer to the West/our heartland. It is also user friendly, especially the roof.

AndrewP6
08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I voted ES... if it meant we got a better financial deal, I'd say the G, but I'm not sure how that all works out. Purely for myself, it's ES... weather not an issue (if I'm there, I want to be dry!), good amenities (though absurdly overpriced), good views, easier access (pushing over the footbridge vs trekking from Richmond station). The atmosphere of the G, being the traditional home of footy is something else, but we'd struggle to even half fill it during the season.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I voted for the MCG. However, I really do like ES for our club. I mean 30,000 people at ES has so much more atmosphere than 30,000 at the G. Also every bloody home game we ever have at the G I'm always sitting in the GSS and I HATE IT.

I wish I were an MCC member :(

Happy Days
08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Clearly the G.

Better ground, from both an atmospheric and on-field perspective. The issues with Etihad's surface in relation to knee injuries is well documented, and as Rocco pointed out, its where finals are played. Its also only a short walk from Jolimont station :)

bornadog
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Eithad, because our best crowds are always going to be around 40,000 and that suits us.

MCG we would struggle to get a decent crowd and it will lack atmosphere.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I went the 'G the more we can play there the better I reakon

Prince Imperial
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
If the AFL negotiates a deal for our club that is commensurate with that given to the MCG teams, then I would definitely stick with ES with playing our biggest games (Coll, Carl and Ess) at the G. ES is a far better fit for the size of our supporter base and is more convenient for our majority Western Suburbs support. Atmosphere wise it is much better for crowds 20k to 50k and the view that spectators get is far superior - you are just that much closer to the play.

If the current dud deal remains at Docklands, then its MCG all the way.

We and most Melb clubs have no deals to play anywhere - we are at the whim of the AFL in its scheduling.

mighty_west
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Eithad, because our best crowds are always going to be around 40,000 and that suits us.

I just wonder, if we could nut out some kind of split deal with both venues, and play home games at both, say the bigger games against sides like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Saints, Richmond etc at the MCG, and the interstate teams and the likes of North, Melbourne etc at Edihad.

I mean, in this day & age, we don't gain any advantage in playing sides at Edihad, even the interstate sides enjoy playing that venue, could be a win/win for all.

Sockeye Salmon
08-09-2009, 11:57 PM
I just wonder, if we could nut out some kind of split deal with both venues, and play home games at both, say the bigger games against sides like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Saints, Richmond etc at the MCG, and the interstate teams and the likes of North, Melbourne etc at Edihad.

I mean, in this day & age, we don't gain any advantage in playing sides at Edihad, even the interstate sides enjoy playing that venue, could be a win/win for all.

I don't understand why the AFL don't simply scrap home games altogether and play all games between two Melbourne clubs at the MCG and all games against Interstate sides at Etihad.

There will be conflict from time-to-time but that wouldn't matter, play the lower drawing game at Etihad.

donnan
09-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Agree!!! We would never get a huge ground to the 'G' week in week out...and how sad did Melbourne look all year, when you could swing a cat through the stands..

We are getting 40's cos the Dogs are playing good footy (on the whole)...but I remember a few years back when we would struggle to pull 25k to the Dome...

ES for me! I have Lvl 2 seating on the arc and you can see and hear all the action...a much harder feat at the G.

Prince Imperial
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't understand why the AFL don't simply scrap home games altogether and play all games between two Melbourne clubs at the MCG and all games against Interstate sides at Etihad.

There will be conflict from time-to-time but that wouldn't matter, play the lower drawing game at Etihad.

They are bound by some agreements that Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood have entered into (with AFL consent) in relation to playing a minimum number of matches at either venue.

With agreement reached with the MCG providing far better returns, the opportunity is now available for the AFL to put the blowtorch to ES in terms of next year's draw to encourage them also to come to the party. Stk v Coll, WB v Ess, NM v Carl etc should all be played at the MCG whilst games of the calibre of Melb v Fre, Haw v Port, Rich v WC should be scheduled for ES.

There might be some bleating from the current MCG teams but they have benefited first and massively from the AFL's concentration on using the draw in 2009 to get a better result there first. The proof of that is Collingwood's draw; this year they played both us and the Saints (both 2008 top 4 teams) at ES whilst playing 5 interstate sides at the MCG (including Port and Freo).

Ozza
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Home games for us at the G would be a conundrum. As an MCC member - shelling out plenty of cash on that yearly - if we moved to the G I would not be buying a reserved seat obviously. Although I guess I'd still feel compelled (and rightly so) to get a membership - but many others in my situation wouldn't.

So I guess I'd be pretty warm to the idea - although the Dome is easier to get to - and I enjoy watching footy there from Access 1 - which I think is the best place to watch footy from out of anywhere.

jazzadogs
09-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I voted for the MCG. However, I really do like ES for our club. I mean 30,000 people at ES has so much more atmosphere than 30,000 at the G. Also every bloody home game we ever have at the G I'm always sitting in the GSS and I HATE IT.

I wish I were an MCC member :(
There's general admission seats on level 2 of the Ponsford stand, to the right hand side of the goal posts. Good height to watch from, obviously would be better on the wing but good facilities and stuff =] give it a shot next year.

I voted MCG, only for the monetary bonuses we would be getting from them if it was our home ground. I prefer the Dome for atmosphere though, especially for our games. Not sure why we play both our home and away games against Collingwood at the Dome though...

BulldogBelle
09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
For me it would have to be Docklands (Eddie Had :D).

It is easier for me to get there from Werribee and l like being under the roof when the weather is crap.

BUT l would happily go to the MCG (or Skilled) if the Dogs got a better deal there.