PDA

View Full Version : This is our chance at glory days

BulldogBelle
10-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Murph's offering this week adding some Springsteen magic to the article (my favourite musical artist)......

This is our chance at glory days (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/glory-days/2009/09/09/1252201266683.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age | Bob Murphy | September 10, 2009

'GLORY days, well they'll pass you by, glory days. In the wink of a young girl's eye, glory days…''

As a man I am predisposed to certain things. I think denim shirts are ace. I panic during a game of Pictionary. And I think Bruce Springsteen is my boss.

In Bruce's song Glory Days, he tells a story of a few characters who, as they themselves see it, have left their best days behind them.

They look back somewhat regretfully, but also with a fondness that wraps them up like a warm blanket at the very mention of their glory days. The song and story can be applied to us all. For some, their glory days may have taken place in high school, or perhaps with an old boyfriend or girlfriend. For us mere footballers, the glory days are undoubtedly finals football.

Click HERE (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/glory-days/2009/09/09/1252201266683.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1) to read the remainder of the article....

KT31
10-09-2009, 12:43 AM
No offence to Murph, but we haven't had a glory day since "54.
And unless he starts concentrating on his football we will still be a few years off.

Mantis
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
And unless he starts concentrating on his football we will still be a few years off.

I think that is a really poor statement to make.

The guy is a professional footballer who probably spends 1 or 2 hours a week writing an article that is enjoyed by all. If you think that he isn't committed to playing the best footy he can for the team he loves then you really don't have much of a clue.

Desipura
10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I think that is a really poor statement to make.

The guy is a professional footballer who probably spends 1 or 2 hours a week writing an article that is enjoyed by all. If you think that he isn't committed to playing the best footy he can for the team he loves then you really don't have much of a clue.A bit harsh there Mantis on KT31's opinion whether accurate or not. Its not as if KT is a new poster and slagging a player.

Mantis
10-09-2009, 08:38 AM
A bit harsh there Mantis on KT31's opinion whether accurate or not

Why? I stand behind what I posted.

Murf is playing with painkilling injections each and every week to try and do his best for his team. It is leaving him with a lack of feeling in his leg which probably explains why his kicking was poor last week.

To state that he isn't concentrating on his footy due to the penning of a light hearted look at football is a fair-dinkum cop-out and the sort of statement that pisses me off, which I hope you have worked out by now.

Desipura
10-09-2009, 08:43 AM
To state that he isn't concentrating on his footy due to the penning of a light hearted look at football is a fair-dinkum cop-out and the sort of statement that pisses me off, which I hope you have worked out by now.
Oh really?:rolleyes: So now you are trying to insult my intelligence?

KT31
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Not having a dig at Murph spending time writing and article.
I was simply worried after last weeks performance the whole team needs to be in the right frame of mind if they don't want to go out in straight sets.

Ozza
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Murf is playing with painkilling injections each and every week to try and do his best for his team. It is leaving him with a lack of feeling in his leg which probably explains why his kicking was poor last week.

Completely agree. 100%.

Would we even want our players to do nothing but concentrate on their footy?

Really good article as usual - and I always enjoy hearing what headspace Bob is in leading into a game/final.

Sockeye Salmon
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM

I dare say Eagleton is trying his best for the team every week as well but sometimes, very occassionally, he gets critisised.

Mantis
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I dare say Eagleton is trying his best for the team every week as well but sometimes, very occassionally, he gets critisised.

You know and I know that what I have said and what you have said are two completely different subject matters.

I dare say the only reason why you felt the need to post in here is who I directed my initial rant at rather than the content, but I have been known to be wrong in the past.

Mantis
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Not having a dig at Murph spending time writing and article.
I was simply worried after last weeks performance the whole team needs to be in the right frame of mind if they don't want to go out in straight sets.

Cool.

It certainly doesn't read that way, so I apologise if I jumped the gun (which I did)

And I do know you have a clue.;)

The Coon Dog
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I dare say the only reason why you felt the need to post in here is who I directed my initial rant at rather than the content, but I have been known to be wrong in the past.

No, I think you're right. Sockeye was just going in to bat for a mate, much as I am now!

KT31
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Cool.

It certainly doesn't read that way, so I apologise if I jumped the gun (which I did)

And I do know you have a clue.;)

Not a problem.
Only sorry I can't get to the game on Friday to enjoy an ale with and watch the Dogs run over the top of the Lions.

cede nullis
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I am wondering about when we beat Brisbane how we line up against St Kilda?
They are beatable aren't they? How can we do it?

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Not a problem.
Only sorry I can't get to the game on Friday to enjoy an ale with and watch the Dogs run over the top of the Lions.

Good last time you came to a final we got pumped. ;)