HB: Joel Patfull, Josh Drummond, Jed Adcock
C: Jared Brennan, Simon Black, Daniel Rich
HF: Michael Rischitelli, Jonathan Brown, James Polkinghorne
F: Sam Sheldon, Daniel Bradshaw, Tim Notting
Foll: Mitch Clark, Luke Power, Justin Sherman
I/C: Rhan Hooper, Matt Austin, Travis Johnstone, Jack Redden
Emg: Bradd Dalziell, Joel Macdonald, Cheynee Stiller

In: Drummond, Adcock, Notting
Out: Jason Roe, Cheynee Stiller, Scott Harding (foot)

comrade
10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Andrejs in for Bob, then.

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Agreed, can't see Bobby coming up.

G-Mo77
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM

That seems likely if he doesn't get up.

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Good to hear Timmy Callan having a taste of finals this year!!

Templeton31
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Interesting Notting named after he basically said he wouldnt get another game at his retirement announcement during the week. Foxing?

Happy Days
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Pay it :)

chef
10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Good to hear Timmy Callan having a taste of finals this year!!

He will be needed as third man up and to block the hole front of Brownshaw. Happy with this change:).

bulldogtragic
10-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Short odds neither side lines up like this.

azabob
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
He will be needed as third man up and to block the hole front of Brownshaw. Happy with this change:).

Is that how other see his role being on the night?

Intersting change, as players couldn't you get more opposite as in attack on the ball, skills, athletically.

lemmon
10-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Maybe Hill slides right back in?

LostDoggy
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Callan plays in what position on the night? Don't understand the selection at all. Do we need another backman? Does someone down back go forward?

Harbrow is the only one I think may move forward out of our backs.

Swoop
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I think Callan provides another defensive small now that Morris is required to play tall. Secondly he also allows Picken to play a defensive role through the midfield if need be and finally perhaps they have one eye on St Kilda where he will match up well on one of their smalls.

Does anyone think Joel Macdonald is a little strange to be named as emergency, I would've thought he was in their best 22 especially against the dogs where he could line up on any one of our mid-sized forwards.

Jasper
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
McDonald in Adcock out

Mofra
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Callan plays back and midfield at Willy - perhaps defensive midfielder or we will play a 7 man defence?

azabob
10-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Callan plays back and midfield at Willy - perhaps defensive midfielder or we will play a 7 man defence?

That would be interesting. Especially considering we should be able to beat their midfield so in theory Brown and Bradshaw delivery wouldn't be spot on.

BulldogBelle
10-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Callan does release Gilbee into the midfield/forward line though. Lindsay has been up the ground a fair bit this year. And Everitt in - should start up forward. FF maybe, and change the rucks of the bench. Works for me:-)

bornadog
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Callan plays in what position on the night? Don't understand the selection at all. Do we need another backman? Does someone down back go forward?

Harbrow is the only one I think may move forward out of our backs.

Agree with Hoopsnake, Gilbee will play wing to forward line. Harbrow was taken out of the game last week by some clever coaching and we lost the drive he has been giving us. That won't happen this week.

ratsmac
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I like Tim Callan, but i get nervous when he has the ball.
Josh Hill is one of our X factors (when he's on song), dunno about this one. Hopefully he learns alot from this.
I can't seeing this change being a game breaker though, we should win either way.
An 85% Bob Murphy is better than a 100% Andrejs Everitt IMO, as long as Bobby doesn't chop the ball like last week.
I'd like to see Gilbee in the midfield and Griffen running off half back. Griffen has played a pretty good defensive game this year with his second and third efforts, even when he has had quiet games. What ever he does this week has to be better than last week. Gilbee running in the midfield within goal scoring range will make them nervous and would draw a good player to man him up.
I dunno, I'm getting anxious just thinking about this game, glad Rocket has to make the big calls and not me. c'mon dogs you can do it.

Rocco Jones
10-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I like Tim Callan, but i get nervous when he has the ball.

I do too but at least he works hard enough to get it. I really think workrate can be underrated sometimes. I prefer a guy who doesn't have great disposal will do the hard stuff and a truckload of running to get the ball than a guy who goes missing for enormous chunks of the game.

Callan's botches are just more obvious than Hill/insert player with poor attitude simply not being in the action.

angelopetraglia
11-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Tim Callan also played a good game in last year's prelim loss to Geelong. Put his body on the line all night, 23 touches, 7 marks and 3 tackles.

I think we need either Callan or Addison in our backline for some extra hardness.

Axe Man
11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Callan's inclusion may also allow Welsh to spend more time forward in lieu of Hill?

bornadog
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Callan's inclusion may also allow Welsh to spend more time forward in lieu of Hill?

Personally I don't like having a loose man in defence. We need to really attack tonight and kick a big score. We have been the highest scoring team in the home and away seasons in the past 4 years but in finals, we are one of the lowest.

Ozza
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm not super keen on the selection this week. I think if Hill went, Everitt had to be the replacement.

I still think Hill should play in any case. Hill gives us a point of difference and can make things happen.

I worry about bringing Callan back in after he has barely played a senior game all year and not really sure he makes the team better.

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
In Match Commitee I trust, I hope.

Ozza
11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
In Match Commitee I trust, I hope.

I've been saying that all year also. I hope they're right. My feeling is that it was not the right move.

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I like the fact that the mc are making a stand against soft efforts, however cant understand callan inclusion. Sure he is hard at it but if he is in our best 22 for finals why only one home and away game so far this year.

Mofra
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I like the fact that the mc are making a stand against soft efforts, however cant understand callan inclusion. Sure he is hard at it but if he is in our best 22 for finals why only one home and away game so far this year.
Injuries

The Pie Man
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Injuries/bad timing - though BOG for Willy last week is exceptional timing

Edit - as RS said earlier this week, you've gotta be quick around here!

Rocket Science
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Someone recently commented elsewhere about picking a side this week that'd be capable of lining up versus the Saints, and running with it against Brisbane...I suspect with the assumption we're a reasonably safe bet tonight regardless.

Lest I succumb to an attack of the Fev's, it's not hard to view Callan's selection as a pre-cursor to taking Milne next week.

dog town
11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Someone recently commented elsewhere about picking a side this week that'd be capable of lining up versus the Saints, and running with it against Brisbane...I suspect with the assumption we're a reasonably safe bet tonight regardless.

Lest I succumb to an attack of the Fev's, it's not hard to view Callan's selection as a pre-cursor to taking Milne next week. In my view Callan is more suited to this weeks game than next weeks. Callan's main asset is his suicidal courage particularly in the air. The lions forward entries are very predictable so it is the best style of game for him.

Cyberdoggie
11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
In my view Callan is more suited to this weeks game than next weeks. Callan's main asset is his suicidal courage particularly in the air. The lions forward entries are very predictable so it is the best style of game for him.

Problem is as soon as he hits the ground he takes forever to recover.

I like him, he's a battler but he's notoriously slow to react. Milne would carve him up.

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Injuries/bad timing - though BOG for Willy last week is exceptional timing

Edit - as RS said earlier this week, you've gotta be quick around here!

Injuries - he hasnt been injured for twenty two weeks and as for timing why is the timing right now?
I am actually a fan of callans and will be cheering him tonight but cannot understand why the time is right to bring in a new defender when we should have a settled backline

dog town
11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Problem is as soon as he hits the ground he takes forever to recover.

I like him, he's a battler but he's notoriously slow to react. Milne would carve him up. That is why he might not play next week but for this week he is an excellent selection in my view. Next week (please god) we will need guys behind the ball who can either penetrate the saints zone with run and carry or with great foot skills. He might not play next week even if he plays a ripping game tonight.

Mantis
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
That is why he might not play next week but for this week he is an excellent selection in my view. Next week (please god) we will need guys behind the ball who can either penetrate the saints zone with run and carry or with great foot skills. He might not play next week even if he plays a ripping game tonight.

I don't think they would be brave enough to make that call, but I guess he isn't a 'senior' player so who knows.

I guess we will find out next week... hopefully.

neodog
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
A downHILL skier for a Brickie...not much snow in September i guess. lol.

lemmon
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Personally I don't like having a loose man in defence. We need to really attack tonight and kick a big score. We have been the highest scoring team in the home and away seasons in the past 4 years but in finals, we are one of the lowest.

I'd feel a fair bit safer with a loose man in defence, especially against the twin towers Brown and Bradshaw and I'm not sure how high a scoring game it will be. We stop the two big fellas and 12 goals will win it IMO.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Is that how other see his role being on the night?

Intersting change, as players couldn't you get more opposite as in attack on the ball, skills, athletically.

concerned about the disposal, not the attack on the ball, he will go hard and try to prove he should play next week.

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2009, 12:39 AM
That is why he might not play next week but for this week he is an excellent selection in my view. Next week (please god) we will need guys behind the ball who can either penetrate the saints zone with run and carry or with great foot skills. He might not play next week even if he plays a ripping game tonight.

I think it was a perfectly timed selection of Callan, and that he provides an excellent option on a multitude of the Saints small forwards; Milne, Schnieder, Geary or whoever, McQualter etc

Cant see Callan not being there next week