PDA

View Full Version : "butterfly effect" - 23rd man

angelopetraglia
11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Can the crowd inspire a player in a single instance to go harder than they otherwise would?

Can the crowd get their home side "up and about"?

Can the crowd influence the umpire into a decision?

Can the crowd put the opposition player off for just a second?

Can the crowd influence a game?

Can you influence the crowd around you to cheer louder?

Can your bay inspire the next bay to cheer louder?

Can a number of bays get all Dog supporters cheering louder?

I don't know, but I'm not going to die wondering Friday night ...

A call to all Dogs supporters to cheer louder than they ever have before. We need the home crowd advantage. We have earned it after 22 rounds. They are the traveling team, let's make them feel like the MCG is foreign territory.

GVGjr
11-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't know, but I'm not going to die wondering Friday night ...

A call to all Dogs supporters to cheer louder than they ever have before. We need the home crowd advantage. We have earned it after 22 rounds. They are the traveling team, let's make them feel like the MCG is foreign territory.

Yes we need all our supporters to step it up a notch. If we expect it from the players, the supporters need to answer the challenge as well.

Really looking forward to this game.

Mantis
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes we need all our supporters to step it up a notch. If we expect it from the players, the supporters need to answer the challenge as well.

The support was there last week, we just didn't have a lot to cheer about. If we had taken a couple of those opportunities we missed in the last qtr there would have been a wave of support.

I'm expecting a good turn out from the Doggies faithful tonight.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
The support was there last week, we just didn't have a lot to cheer about. If we had taken a couple of those opportunities we missed in the last qtr there would have been a wave of support.

I'm expecting a good turn out from the Doggies faithful tonight.

We were behind the Dogs cheer Squad last week. There were a group of Geelong supporters behind us in the standing room and I can tell you from my earache which group were louder.

Desipura
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
We were behind the Dogs cheer Squad last week. There were a group of Geelong supporters behind us in the standing room and I can tell you from my earache which group were louder.
Even when they get into a chant it is hardly inspiring. "Lets go bulldogs, lets go", quiet embarrassing actually.

The Pie Man
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Were they yelling out GEEE...LONGGGG, GEEEE...LONGGGG?

(I was near a group yelling that out 08 prelim - that and a song about Stevie J)

I ntoiced the roar went up a notch last week when Aka kicked truly in the 3rd - he's the one that seems to get us going.

The Brisbane crowd absolutely helped the Lions last week.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Were they yelling out GEEE...LONGGGG, GEEEE...LONGGGG?

(I was near a group yelling that out 08 prelim - that and a song about Stevie J)

I ntoiced the roar went up a notch last week when Aka kicked truly in the 3rd - he's the one that seems to get us going.

The Brisbane crowd absolutely helped the Lions last week.

Yeah, they were. Nothing about Stevie J but then he wasn't playing.

Our guys did the Thunderstuck by AC/DC thing with Aker.

angelopetraglia
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

And so, my fellow Bulldog members: ask not what your team can do for you - ask what you can do for your team.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Don't think our fans were louder enough this week. Will definitely have to give more next week.

Saints will out number us and the Dogs fans will need to deliver.

AndrewP6
12-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Never been a big believer in the 23rd man stuff... crowd can cheer, but they can't kick the ball for you. Professionals shouldn't be effected by external influences such as crowd noise... in many instances, pro athletes will say they don't really hear the crowd, just a buzz...

That said, I still try to make myself heard from the stands!

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Never been a big believer in the 23rd man stuff... crowd can cheer, but they can't kick the ball for you. Professionals shouldn't be effected by external influences such as crowd noise... in many instances, pro athletes will say they don't really hear the crowd, just a buzz...

That said, I still try to make myself heard from the stands!

Can't agree.

Home side win % in a number of different sports is sufficiently higher to suggest that it does indeed have an impact.

AndrewP6
12-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Can't agree.

Home side win % in a number of different sports is sufficiently higher to suggest that it does indeed have an impact.

Fair enough, who am I to argue with statistics... however I did say they shouldn't be affected. Never thought much of it in my own playing experiences...

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
1. Advantages of being the home team

In most team sports where the concept of home and away stadiums is found the home team is considered to have a significant advantage over the visitors. Due to this, many important games (such as playoff or elimination matches) in many sports have special rules for determining what match is played where. In association football, matches with two legs, one played in each team's "home", are common; it is also common to hold important games at a neutral site. In many team sports in North America (including baseball, basketball, and ice hockey), playoff series are often held, with a nearly equal number of games at each team's site; as it is usually beneficial to have an odd number of matches in a series (to prevent ties), the final home game is often awarded to the team that had the most success over the regular season. In some sports, this tends to be a huge ace in the hole such as basketball, where historically the home team in deciding games has won 78 of 97 games up until the second round of the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

Home field advantage is especially pronounced in NCAA Division I American football, where teams like LSU, USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and many others win consistently at home. Many college football stadiums also have nicknames that represent the loudness of the stadium. Autzen Stadium, home of the Oregon Ducks, has been nicknamed the "Autzen Zoo" because of how loud it gets, and Kyle Field, the home of the Texas A&M Aggies has been nicknamed the "12th Man" because of the loudness there

Ryan Boyko a research assistant in the Department of Psychology in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, studied 5,000 English Premier League games from 1992 to 2006, to discern any officiating bias and the influence of home crowds. The data was published in the Journal of Sports Sciences suggested that for every additional 10,000 people attending, home team advantage increased by 0.1 goals. Additionally, his study proved what many football fans already suspect, that home teams are likely to receive more penalties.

AndrewP6
12-09-2009, 01:49 AM
1. Advantages of being the home team

In most team sports where the concept of home and away stadiums is found the home team is considered to have a significant advantage over the visitors. Due to this, many important games (such as playoff or elimination matches) in many sports have special rules for determining what match is played where. In association football, matches with two legs, one played in each team's "home", are common; it is also common to hold important games at a neutral site. In many team sports in North America (including baseball, basketball, and ice hockey), playoff series are often held, with a nearly equal number of games at each team's site; as it is usually beneficial to have an odd number of matches in a series (to prevent ties), the final home game is often awarded to the team that had the most success over the regular season. In some sports, this tends to be a huge ace in the hole such as basketball, where historically the home team in deciding games has won 78 of 97 games up until the second round of the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

Home field advantage is especially pronounced in NCAA Division I American football, where teams like LSU, USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and many others win consistently at home. Many college football stadiums also have nicknames that represent the loudness of the stadium. Autzen Stadium, home of the Oregon Ducks, has been nicknamed the "Autzen Zoo" because of how loud it gets, and Kyle Field, the home of the Texas A&M Aggies has been nicknamed the "12th Man" because of the loudness there

Ryan Boyko a research assistant in the Department of Psychology in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, studied 5,000 English Premier League games from 1992 to 2006, to discern any officiating bias and the influence of home crowds. The data was published in the Journal of Sports Sciences suggested that for every additional 10,000 people attending, home team advantage increased by 0.1 goals. Additionally, his study proved what many football fans already suspect, that home teams are likely to receive more penalties.

Interesting... perhaps I'd ask why such a pronounced advantage occurs? The game is the same whether it's played home or away. To me, it would be very disappointing to hear an extremely highly paid athlete say that their performance was affected by people cheering. Of course they won't say that, but obviously the stats do. So what is it that causes teams to perform less effectively in another venue? Surely not just "noise"

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Interesting... perhaps I'd ask why such a pronounced advantage occurs? The game is the same whether it's played home or away. To me, it would be very disappointing to hear an extremely highly paid athlete say that their performance was affected by people cheering. Of course they won't say that, but obviously the stats do. So what is it that causes teams to perform less effectively in another venue? Surely not just "noise"

I've noticed that a fair bit in soccer in the EPL. An 'away' team will often field a defensive midfield formation, perhaps clogging it up with 5 mids & a striker one out, but if they play the same team at home, they have 4 mids & 2 strikers.

A mindset maybe?

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Home advantage is real. Number of different reasons but is statistically significant.

AFL = 58% (home advantage 9.8 pts)
NFL = 57% (home advantage 3.3 pts)
One day Cricket = 58% (5.6 runs)
Football - EPL = 48% win, 26% tie (home advantage 0.97 goals)

Source: Run like you stole something - Damian Farrow & Justin Kemp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Like-You-Stole-Something/dp/1741140676

In my opinion the crowd is a significant factor.

(An aside. Interesting stat; between 86 and 99, the Indian cricket team won 17 of its 30 home tests and only one out of 46 away! Probably more to do with dodgy umps and pitches with this one.)

westdog54
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
[I]A call to all Dogs supporters to cheer louder than they ever have before. We need the home crowd advantage. We have earned it after 22 rounds. They are the traveling team, let's make them feel like the MCG is foreign territory.

And a call to the old codger sitting behind me last week who was whingeing and moaning from the 5th minute of the game and refused to cheer when we were playing well.

For Christ's sake stay home, give someone who actually wants to be at the footy your ticket and stop acting as though the club owes you something.

comrade
12-09-2009, 06:41 PM
And a call to the old codger sitting behind me last week who was whingeing and moaning from the 5th minute of the game and refused to cheer when we were playing well.

For Christ's sake stay home, give someone who actually wants to be at the footy your ticket and stop acting as though the club owes you something.

I had a similar old geezer behind me last night.

He was atrocious, repeatedly berating the guys - and we were winning!

I ended up telling him to piss off home if he wasn't enjoying himself.

PS: Apologies if the aforementioned old geezer is a fellow WOOFer, but you really got under my skin.

SonofScray
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
It can have an effect, if not on the players on your own enjoyment of the game. There are few things better than being a part of a boisterous crowd, hearing a roar go up in unison or your team echoing through the stands.

Likewise, there are few things worse than being outnumbered and on the end of the oppositions cheer.

This stuff does have an impact, although I think we tend to be a bit more cynical about it all these days. You're less likely to see some try gee up the crowd, home made flags etc - not sure exactly why. That the game is its own spectacle and we just sit and watch isn't a great thing.

bornadog
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Love it when the crowd yell COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOney.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Love it when the crowd yell COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOney.

Happened a fair bit last night, haven't really heard it for a while.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
And so, my fellow Bulldog members: ask not what your team can do for you - ask what you can do for your team.

Well said:D Let's make the G roar with bulldog chants! I've a good feeling about Friday night - saw 2 real dog Bulldogs today, and they were smiling at me ;) I reckon that's an omen!