PDA

View Full Version : Your spectating attributes?

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Light hearted thread to calm the nerves before the big game:

For me:

At the game its on the edge of my seat cant take my eyes off.

Watching on TV, I cant bear to watch, a ball of nerves.....

soupman
12-09-2009, 12:13 AM
At the game its on the edge of my seat cant take my eyes off.

Watching on TV, I cant bear to watch, a ball of nerves.....

Anyone else reckon this sounds like those poems they chuck on the side of the Connex trains?

AndrewP6
12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
At the game - if we're winning, or "in the contest", I'm kind of vocal, give it to the monkeys (umps) at every opportunity, and of course I have all the answers - if only they'd listen to me! :) If we're getting done, I get kind of quiet. And angry.

At home: much the same, perhaps not quite so intense. Still shout at the umps, though. And I have far more money in my wallet by the end of the game.

Mantis
12-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Pure and simple I turn into a mental case.

I get white line fever with anything that is competitive and it is the same when I am watching my footy team. I was called 'Jekyll & Hyde' last night and it isn't far from the truth.

G-Mo77
12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

I get white line fever with anything that is competitive and it is the same when I am watching my footy team. I was called 'Jekyll & Hyde' last night and it isn't far from the truth.

Pretty much the same Mantis. I'm pretty laid back and quiet most of the time. Completely different when I am watching a game of football. Over the years I have learnt to hold back on the F-Bomb though which I am pretty proud of.

GVGjr
12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Very quiet throughout the game win, lose but perhaps not with a draw.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Same here, some people are in shock with me, cause im so different at the footy, get me during the week, and i hardley say aa word(except to the kids at work), get me at a footy game and i pretty much dont shut up. Im not as bad as i was a few years back.

Its all good fun tho, have to let ya stress/anger out somewhere, what better place than at the footy...

gohardorgohome
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm a pain in the a$$ always yelling out telling the players who to kick it too.

Ozza
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd like to think I'm not overly one-eyed. I don't really have a crack at the Umps very often, but am fairly vocal overall and try to have a few laughs/few gas during the game. You've gotta still enjoy it I guess - despite what the bulldogs put us through!!

TCD sits in front of hughy31 and I - so he may well see it differently !!! He has to listen to our banter throughout!

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
TCD sits in front of hughy31 and I - so he may well see it differently !!! He has to listen to our banter throughout!

I've usually got the headphones in listening to the radio, but occasionally hear grumblings about someone called 'fumbleton'. ;)

westdog54
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM

My wife would describe me in exactly the same manner.

I've been told by a couple of people I work with that I don't have a mean bone in my body.

They've never seen me at the footy.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't have a go at the umps often, they are there to do a job, and the players make mistakes and so do the umpires. However, the umpires always seem to kill us against the Saints, so that will probably change next week:mad:

I try to yell out encouragement to the players. last night it was to Griffin. And I mumble to my better half when we stuff up big time.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
At the game - im completely in the zone, not that vocal and just intensely watch the game, with occasional stint on my feet if we are really going well.
In front of the TV - alot more vocal with the same intensity. I dont want anyone to come near me or try to talk to me.

SonofScray
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Love being a fan.

Will make a bit of noise, unleash tirades of abuse, make ridiculous comments about the awesomeness of ordinary players past and present. Like to rev the family and friends up. Do end up the target of a bit of abuse as a result. Some very cynical footy people out there. Surely the colour and fanaticism is a big part of what makes the game great. The actual game is only one aspect of it, its our reactions to it and our involvement in it what makes it great.

Am currently on a revolutionary mission to introduce a new reaction to a Dogs goal. Suggest that if you hear it, get on board early because it will sweep the league by storm. CLAP, CLAP, CLAPCLAPCLAP CLAP DOGS! Encourage all and sundry to make the home made flags and banners and show your colours.

Happy Days
12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I do yell a bit, but nothing over the top. My worst habit is pulling out the tassels from the ends of my scarf. My 2005 members one is just about bald now.

jazzadogs
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I go a bit crazy, it must be said...although I behave better around my younger brothers because I don't want my poor attributes to rub off on them. Luckily, I don't sit with them often.
Lots of umpire abuse, but I've been pretty proud of myself for toning down my anger towards the players.
I also get fairly close to absolute satisfaction whenever Callan Ward touches the ball. He's just glorious.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I much prefer being at the game, feel that my yelling is actually helping the boys in some small way. I have curbed the swearing, very different to our Princes Park days. ;)

I cannot watch a game on TV, just hate it. Especially when it's delayed and I can get the current score or result on my mobile phone in a few seconds.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Just love cheering and urging the boys on, even if we are getting beaten. I have been sitting in the same seat the Doglands for a few years, and the guy next to me is on his own as well. Well, if we are having a fabo day, there's lots of high five's and fist waving happening around our seats! (who cares if I am a grown, mature woman - I love my team ;))

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I am an insane supporter.

When we're losing, or have lost: I sit there and bite my nails with nerves, I make comments about EVERYTHING, from Eagletons baldness to predicting what the coaches are screaming in the boxes, I get really really angry and yell at the tv, I hit my dad sometimes when we argue (haha, it doesn't hurt him, trust me), when we lose I get angry. I sometimes kick things. I also sometimes throw things (in my lounge room, that is!). I make jokes about wanting opposition players to get injured (but secretly sometimes wish they would), I abuse the umpires and I blame everything that goes/went wrong on Eagleton, just for fun. I am usually kind of sour for a day or two after a loss, too. If its a particularly shit loss (Eagles..), I half contemplate ripping my bumper sticker off my car, but of course SOON COME TO MY SENSES! I somemtimes mope a bit, too. I also avoid newspapers after a loss. If Gabi and I are sitting together we tend to unintentionally stir each other up over it and have a hissy fit at each other (at home. Plus we're twins, we can fight, but Gabi always wins if it ever gets physical. Bitch).

When we're winning, or have won: I get haaaaaaappy! If we're less than 50pts up at 3/4 time, I am still convinced we could lose and am still really nervous, If we're winning I tell everyone (or announce to the TV) how I am totes in love with BRYZAAAA, Ward, Griff, Harbrow, Addison, Higgins etc. I even cheer for Hill. I clap Eagleton if i'm in a REALLY good mood. I can't stop grinning, and sometimes want to be all smug and stuff. I chatter away, rambling on about "HOW GOOD WAS IT WHEN.." etc. I skip away from the stadium merrily (well... walk happily?), I read every single article in the newspaper about the Dogs, and in my head abuse those who said we'd lose etc. stupidfaces like Gary Lyon, Matthews and such.

Yah, I take it waaay to seriously. And have probably scared everyone off.

LostDoggy
13-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I usually just listen to the radio.

What annoys me is when we are getting smashed in games how a lot of supporters will blame umpires (when a free kick isn't there/or was there) or use any other factor other than the "We're getting beaten one". It also pisses me off how people get annoyed when we switch to the fat side and go backwards and they yell "Kick it long!!".

jazzadogs
13-09-2009, 12:37 AM

What annoys me is when we are getting smashed in games how a lot of supporters will blame umpires (when a free kick isn't there/or was there) or use any other factor other than the "We're getting beaten one". It also pisses me off how people get annoyed when we switch to the fat side and go backwards and they yell "Kick it long!!".
You would think that after watching us switch play with success all year, people would understand this tactic. But no, the calls for "Just kick it long to Aker against 3 opposition defenders" continue to resonate.

LostDoggy
13-09-2009, 02:47 PM
You would think that after watching us switch play with success all year, people would understand this tactic. But no, the calls for "Just kick it long to Aker against 3 opposition defenders" continue to resonate.

Yes, we've got a few behind us who start yelling "Kick it long" as soon as it starts happening. As a friend points out to them "Yeah, kick it to a two on one, or a three on one, that'll work". :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 12:29 PM
As my motto indicates "Don't sit in front of me unless you're wearing earplugs" - I am LOUD. I don't shut up no matter what. I'm always positive and encouraging. I come home with no voice.

If we lose, I cry.

When we play interstate and if I have to watch it on tv, my neighbours need to block their ears as there is a lot of noise coming from my house. For a bit of fun we play a "chocolate game". You choose 3 players - backline, centre and forward. When your player gets a goal you get a piece of chocolate.

Ozza
14-09-2009, 12:53 PM

My ABSOLUTE number 1 - pet hate at the footy.
"Kick it long - go long" and then they complain when the opposition outmarks our small forward line. There is a reason we go sideways and backwards - and we are really good at working it out and working through the zone defence.

We had a bit of a verbal stoush with some old timers on Friday night who were b1tching every time we went sidewards or backwards - I asked them if they'd "care to stumble across the modern game at some stage"....this wasn't well received.

Gee we enjoy the footy though!

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I've usually got the headphones in listening to the radio, but occasionally hear grumblings about someone called 'fumbleton'. ;)

Yes always get frustrated with Fumbleton but cheered him on last week. Worried that he lets us down when we play the top sides. I am otherwise happy to barrack and have a good time except when my aunty brings out the old ones like .. why are they kicking backwards/why dont they man up????....she didnt like Scott West... enough said

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2009, 01:09 PM
When we play interstate and if I have to watch it on tv, my neighbours need to block their ears as there is a lot of noise coming from my house.

A few years ago we played West Coast in a night match at Subi that we lost. It was pre-kids and my wife had gone out with the girls.

The next day our neighbour asked my wife if everything was alright and was there anything she could do.

The neighbour had heard the screaming and thought we had had the biggest fight of all time.

mighty_west
14-09-2009, 01:34 PM
At home:
Have to know whats going on, cannot wait for the delayed tv coverage, usually turn the game on at 8.30, but with the live radio broadcast, pretty quiet sitting there, i like to just watch the game, fist pump when we kick a goal and are winning, no point in abusing players or umps, uum, they can't hear me anyway! :D

At the game:
Pretty much the same, i'm an observer rather than getting up every 10 seconds with a "Bulldogs clap clap clap", pretty laid back, if it's a close game or we are coming back, i'm up after every goal with a big "YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" and either fist pump or arm in the air sort of thing, when we are getting done, i just sit there, too many other angry ants around me, i don't need to be one as well.

One thing though, i have NEVER and will NEVER leave a game whatever the score or situation before the final siren, the players give their all [even though sometimes it dioesn't feel like it], so as a supporter, i'll do the same back with my support.

The people that do leave early are usually the ones that are first to whinge & whine on any occasion.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Watching the game live at the ground, I'm the logical/commentator supporter.

I only get loud when the dogs kick a goal and urge them on with a quiet "keep it going doggies.:" When the dogs get a goal kicked against them I do the loud groan and then say "get it back doggies". Sometimes if I'm wearing my doggies hat and no one's sitting infront of me, I whack the hat on the seat infront of me (happened alot during the Rohde days).

I always look ahead of the player with the ball to determine who he can kick the ball to or who can give him a lead (many of those who keep yelling for the the player with the ball to kick it long, don't seem to understand that sometimes the player hasn't got anyone to kick to).

Sometimes when Hahn or Minson has the ball, I just groan and say "Oh geez, this could end up anywhere!!!".

Can't wait for Friday GO THE DOGGIES!!!!:D

PS: I also take credit for Matty Robbins taking that screamer agains the Lions in 2005 - I called him in early :cool:

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 01:37 PM
when we are getting done, i just sit there, too many other angry ants around me, i don't need to be one as well.

Shouldn't affect you, seeing as you're deaf anyway;)

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 01:39 PM
As my motto indicates "Don't sit in front of me unless you're wearing earplugs" - I am LOUD. I don't shut up no matter what. I'm always positive and encouraging. I come home with no voice.

If we lose, I cry.

When we play interstate and if I have to watch it on tv, my neighbours need to block their ears as there is a lot of noise coming from my house. For a bit of fun we play a "chocolate game". You choose 3 players - backline, centre and forward. When your player gets a goal you get a piece of chocolate.

Oh yes, I remember the "I love you Brad Johnson"s :p

mighty_west
14-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Shouldn't affect you, seeing as you're deaf anyway;)

What?

It's called selective hearing, after being with my lovely better half for over a decade, you just...........learn to zone out!

Axe Man
14-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think I have been more annoyed at fellow dogs supporters than I was on Friday night. There was quite a few around me that had absolutely no clue. Constant criticism of the players and constant complaints about every decision and non-decision against us (most of which were completely correct umpiring decisions). Of course there was the old classic as mentioned above of 'kick it long' whenever we went sideways or backwards, but then when we did kick long only for it to be marked by a lions player they would scream 'have a look' or something to that effect - geez ya can't have it both ways!

The worst offender was a woman sitting front of me, I had a particular laugh when she had a go at one of the players and said that Hill should be playing instead of him because 'at least he has a go'. Now I like Josh Hill but I don't think his efforts at the ball would surpass many of the 22 that took the field on Friday night.

mighty_west
14-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Watching the game live at the ground, I'm the logical/commentator supporter.

I only get loud when the dogs kick a goal and urge them on with a quiet "keep it going doggies.:" When the dogs get a goal kicked against them I do the loud groan and then say "get it back doggies". Sometimes if I'm wearing my doggies hat and no one's sitting infront of me, I whack the hat on the seat infront of me (happened alot during the Rohde days).

I always look ahead of the player with the ball to determine who he can kick the ball to or who can give him a lead (many of those who keep yelling for the the player with the ball to kick it long, don't seem to understand that sometimes the player hasn't got anyone to kick to).

Sometimes when Hahn or Minson has the ball, I just groan and say "Oh geez, this could end up anywhere!!!".

Can't wait for Friday GO THE DOGGIES!!!!:D

PS: I also take credit for Matty Robbins taking that screamer agains the Lions in 2005 - I called him in early :cool:

That railing was getting a fair workout against Geelong, at one stage i thought you were going to headbutt the thing and knock yourself out, probably wouldn't have been a bad thing......:p

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh yes, I remember the "I love you Brad Johnson"s :p

I love all our players and am very vocal about it!

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 03:28 PM
One thing though, i have NEVER and will NEVER leave a game whatever the score or situation before the final siren, the players give their all [even though sometimes it dioesn't feel like it], so as a supporter, i'll do the same back with my support.

The people that do leave early are usually the ones that are first to whinge & whine on any occasion.[/QUOTE]

A true Bulldog supporter ... never leave ... my mother told me it builds character ( I'm full up with character)

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Have you ever seen someone pull a muscle while cheering?? I have done that. Know anyone who can't talk the day after a game, me again. If you hear someone call out 'Bryzza' when the great Brian takes an important mark that might be me as well.

While I am trying to mellow out I still turn into a screaming yelling ball of nerves every time we play. One thing I am trying to cut down on, is getting involved in verbal exchanges with the other team supporters but sometimes I just can't stop myself, some idiocy simply must be contradicted.

At the game I try to hold to the folowing code;
Don't swear, Dont run down the players, don't threaten the umps, don't boo players (just bad umpiring decisions), don't leave early. Do cheer for the team, do applaud great play from either side, try to be gracious in defeat as well as victory. Sometimes I even succeed....

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I love all our players and am very vocal about it!

And am surpised Sos's the "Eagle" has not become a fixture for celebrating Eagleton's deeds.

BulldogBelle
14-09-2009, 06:25 PM
That railing was getting a fair workout against Geelong, at one stage i thought you were going to headbutt the thing and knock yourself out, probably wouldn't have been a bad thing......:p

Haha, I think there were alot of sore hands after that game. That railing just has no give

1eyedog
14-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I wish injury on the opposition team the week before we play them. I will scan the newspapers on Tuesday to check the opposition's injuries and hope they don't come up. Pretty subdued at the game, will hold my head in my hands following turnovers and will applaud great play. Don't really give much to the umpires, don't see the point. Will rip into opposition players when required.

At home I once cracked a tv with a projectile half full stubbie. I obviously didn't think before I threw it. I just need to be left alone when watching the footy either at home or at the game. I enjoy talking to my uncles about each quarter at each break though.

Raw Toast
14-09-2009, 11:18 PM
My ABSOLUTE number 1 - pet hate at the footy.
"Kick it long - go long" and then they complain when the opposition outmarks our small forward line. There is a reason we go sideways and backwards - and we are really good at working it out and working through the zone defence.

I joked to Sockeye on Friday night that some barrackers could benefit from a bit of remedial footy education. The bloke in front was screaming for us to kick it long, and then having a go at Gia whenever he touched the ball, regardless of the fact that Gia was among our best on the night...

I tend to also get a bit of the white-line fever, winded myself with my celebrations when we came back from the dead to beat the Saints in the early 2000s (was it 2003?).

Axe Man
15-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I joked to Sockeye on Friday night that some barrackers could benefit from a bit of remedial footy education. The bloke in front was screaming for us to kick it long, and then having a go at Gia whenever he touched the ball, regardless of the fact that Gia was among our best on the night...

I tend to also get a bit of the white-line fever, winded myself with my celebrations when we came back from the dead to beat the Saints in the early 2000s (was it 2003?).

If you're talking about the Max Hudghton crying game it was in 2000 (wouldn't mind a repeat of that on Friday night).

SonofScray
15-09-2009, 09:11 AM
And am surpised Sos's the "Eagle" has not become a fixture for celebrating Eagleton's deeds.

It is one of life's great mysteries.

When the Bald One scores from outside fifty, get up and flap your wings dammit!

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I never leave anything early -- I sit through the credits at movies as I like to listen to the soundtrack (having worked on a few myself) -- so I've never left a Dogs game early.

I build up like an ocean liner -- slowly building up momentum through the first quarter as I sit there sipping my tea, watching for match-ups, structures, patterns etc., and not panicking/celebrating too much at the score (unless it's out of the ordinary, of course), and will often recall patterns in matches throughout the season/ past few seasons ("we're always this far behind at quarter time", "we beat the Saints handily last time despite giving up the first three goals"). I often have to whisper this to myself or to my mates in reply to the older fans behind me who have more enthusiasm than nous.

By half-time, I'm usually quite vocal -- if we're on a roll I'd be the first off my seat with a fist-pump, if we're losing I'm pointing out changes that need to be made, much to the amusement of the kids who have the seats in front of me.

I am also known for my outbursts (usually when everyone else is pretty quiet) that make no real sense to anyone except myself, often as I am watching something on the field away from the action (something I learnt to do a lot of in my coaching/assistant coaching/tactics coaching -- not in footy though -- days), like the time I yelled out 'Hit him, Lakey, hit him!', when Fev was giving Brian some crap while there was a boundary throw-in down the other end of the field, and everyone looked at me like I was bananas as of course Brian was nowhere near the ball. I heard a guy behind me tell his partner that 'that bloke doesn't know our own players'.

I also like to lead 'boo's, but not for the obvious ones like Cousins/Nathan Brown etc.; I'll have some esoteric reason for hating some marginal opposition player, and boo loudly everytime he has the ball (or comes near my seat), while simultaneously trying to explain to/convince others about his heinousness that is deserving of derision.

The good thing about having a reserved seat is that people get used to your spectating patterns, so what seemed weird initially can become quite an endearing trait -- we all enjoy each others' quirks now, so I do get some supportive 'boos' when I let loose against a Danyle Pierce (I hate weird spellings of common first names!) or a Ryan Shoenmaker (cobblers shouldn't play footy!).

--

ps. I get uber-vocal when we're playing any of Carlton, Hawthorn or Richmond -- Adelaide some years, West Coast in the Cousins era. Then, all rationality leaves my body and I am no longer myself.

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 02:03 PM
If were winning comfortably i'm vocal and chatty but if losing i stay quite

boydogs
15-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Danyle Pierce (I hate weird spellings of common first names!)

Me too. It's not his fault though it's his parents'
It's ironic though you got his surname wrong (Pearce) ;)

LostDoggy
17-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Me too. It's not his fault though it's his parents'
It's ironic though you got his surname wrong (Pearce) ;)

Good pick-up! (I made that part up, you know. I don't really boo at Danyle. I do boo at Stephen Milne though, because he reminds me of a mongoose).

LostDoggy
17-09-2009, 05:33 PM
i love doing the fist pump especially after a big goal such as higgos goal last week set up by harbrow. I get very animated and had to stop giving the umps a serve mid rant against geelong as i stated to feel woozy