PDA

View Full Version : 6th Prelim in 25 years - take this opportunity

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 12:07 AM
6th Prelim in 25 years.

Just want to get to the big dance ... Take this chance boys.

Will be a massive game next Friday night, if we bring our defensive pressure, intensity, run and carry we are a huge chance.

Bring it on.

Throughandthrough
12-09-2009, 12:10 AM
indeed.

Gonna be a long week!

Bring it on.

The Sainters will be cr@pping the dacks at the thought of how much a waste of a year it has been if we win.

Also great to see two of the non-powerhouse teams in a prelim.

I'm 44, have barracked for the dogs since i was about 5, and they haven't played in ONE gf.

IT'S BLOODY TIME!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm very glad we have not gone out in striaght sets. I am not going to be satisfied with close enough, but having said that I am realistic enough to recognise that whilst we are theoretically in with a chance, form wise over the course of the season Saints have shown they are the best team in the competition, and for us to win we will need all 22 players to play the game of their life.
I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

Dry Rot
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Half heard an odd stat on Ch7 - is it true that we have only won 13 finals in 85 years?

Rance Fan
12-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Dare to dream!...Damn... hope its reality!!!

cambo
12-09-2009, 12:41 AM
you bloody beauty!! Im from WA been suporter for 41 years and booked for GF months ago, come on boys make my dream of watching you win the big one come true.
Intensity intensity intensity
Go Doggies!!!!!

Desipura
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Sadly I have been to all those prelim's, its time to break the duck!

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 09:24 AM

I hear ya!

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
This is the time that the boys can really show how much it means to them,

Did they learn anything from last year?

Are they still hurting?

Have they spoken with the likes of Hawk, grant and co that missed their opportunity of a lifetime against the Crows a few years ago.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
CMON DOGGIES......2 steps further thats all we ask...(2 more hard games, then u can have a few weeks off)...

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM

You and The Coon Dog are banned from attending in that case. Do it for the team.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
We'll pressure them hard, feed off the turnovers and record a famous victory, like we would've if we'd had crack at them in the GF in '97.

mighty_west
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I actually prefer us not having the week off, and trying to keep up the momentum, you see it alot, mid season break, and the team looks rusty the next game back.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Did they learn anything from last year?

You could also ask that question of St.Kilda too.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I hope the hurt of last year is still burning deep. If so the boys will be very motivated. I'm sick of being the bridesmaid, i want the big production to be about us.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Sadly once again we are up against a team that is that little bit better than us. Why couldn't bloody Collingwood have won, and we could take them on.

DOG GOD
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Yep like last year, Geel were the best team and we had to beat them. This year its the saints. As much as i want to believe we can do it, i think when it comes down to it, the pressure of stkildas defense will strangle our fwd structure, and Roo and Kosi will kick 8 between them.

We will need our fwd 50 to play out of their skin and kick 15 goals to be a chance.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Ditto :(

mjp
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
We will need our fwd 50 to play out of their skin and kick 15 goals to be a chance.

The funny thing is, I think we can kick 15 goals...but the style of play we will need to adopt against the Saints to do that will enable them to kick 20.

I am really interested to see how the coaches approach this week - this might sound ******** given how good they have been at restricting opposition scoring, but I almost think we are a better chance to win kicking 11-12 goals and holding them to 9 than trying to score 100points ourselves.

Mantis
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
The funny thing is, I think we can kick 15 goals...but the style of play we will need to adopt against the Saints to do that will enable them to kick 20.

I am really interested to see how the coaches approach this week - this might sound ******** given how good they have been at restricting opposition scoring, but I almost think we are a better chance to win kicking 11-12 goals and holding them to 9 than trying to score 100points ourselves.

Agree with that.

I would like it to be a 10 to 8 goal game and just hope that we are on the right side of the ledger when the final siren goes.

bornadog
12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Agree with that.

I would like it to be a 10 to 8 goal game and just hope that we are on the right side of the ledger when the final siren goes.

I don't agree at all. If you look back over the Eade years, we only win when we kick big scores. We have not won a game this year when we kicked less than 100 points.

To beat the Saints, we have to almost do what Essendon did and take them on, move the ball fast and penetrate the zone.

Edit, Just checked from 2006 to 2009 and there are only three games where we lost and kicked over 100 points. All the other losses have been under 100 points. On the Reverse, we have only won 5 when we have kicked less than 100 points. This is out of 72 games (incl finals)

mjp
12-09-2009, 04:18 PM
We have not won a game this year when we kicked less than 100 points.

Except Round 2. We did win 8 other games kicking >100 <110 points.

On the flip side, whenever the opposition score > 100 points we tend to lose - we have only been successful twice when this has happened all year....Think about West Coast (twice), St Kilda (twice), Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton....What I am saying is that if we play the way we would need to play to kick 16 goals (100 points), I think the Saints will have too much space up forward and will kick 20 goals...

If we haven't learned from earlier in the year when we allowed the Saints a big score and lost then we deserve to lose.

Mantis
12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't agree at all. If you look back over the Eade years, we only win when we kick big scores. We have not won a game this year when we kicked less than 100 points.

To beat the Saints, we have to almost do what Essendon did and take them on, move the ball fast and penetrate the zone.

Edit, Just checked from 2006 to 2009 and there are only three games where we lost and kicked over 100 points. All the other losses have been under 100 points. On the Reverse, we have only won 5 when we have kicked less than 100 points. This is out of 72 games (incl finals)

But we aren't a quick team like Essendon.

I hope we get down and get ugly this week. We did this in the 3rd qtr of our most recent game against St.Kilda when we outscored them 3 goals to 1 which allowed us to work our way back into the game.

bornadog
12-09-2009, 05:30 PM
But we aren't a quick team like Essendon.

I hope we get down and get ugly this week. We did this in the 3rd qtr of our most recent game against St.Kilda when we outscored them 3 goals to 1 which allowed us to work our way back into the game.

Quick doesn't mean, fast players, quick is moving the ball from one end to the other rapidly, and we are masters at this when we want to be.

I know what MJP is saying, I guess it is going to be interesting what tactics we use. The Saints have only lost 6 out of the last 36 games, so we need to try something different.

Mantis
12-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Quick doesn't mean, fast players, quick is moving the ball from one end to the other rapidly, and we are masters at this when we want to be.

I know what MJP is saying, I guess it is going to be interesting what tactics we use. The Saints have only lost 6 out of the last 36 games, so we need to try something different.

Agree, but I think we have to pick our time when to attack and the time to slow down the tempo.

I know that Bulldogs coaching staff have studied the St.Kilda style pretty closely since our last encounter and I am confident they will be able to come up with a gameplan that will be successful... Because they have to.

bornadog
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Agree, but I think we have to pick our time when to attack and the time to slow down the tempo.

I know that Bulldogs coaching staff have studied the St.Kilda style pretty closely since our last encounter and I am confident they will be able to come up with a gameplan that will be successful... Because they have to.

Can't wait.