PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward - The REAL Rising Star

bornadog
12-09-2009, 01:35 AM
19 years old and has played two sensational finals. This kid is certainly a rising star of the future.

Tonight, 22 disposals, 5 tackles, two goals.

As for Rich, like last week very poor, shirks a contest and only relies on his long kicking, I for one was not impressed.

Sedat
12-09-2009, 01:36 AM
As for Rich, like last week very poor, shirks a contest and only relies on his long kicking, I for one was not impressed.
He stunk it up tonight. Didn't work hard enough in either direction, like the rest of his midfield mates. By contrast, Ward was fantastic tonight.

comrade
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
19 years old and has played two sensational finals. This kid is certainly a rising star of the future.

Tonight, 22 disposals, 5 tackles, two goals.

You can see why he slipped in the draft - yes, his kicking is elite (on his left side), but he doesn't get to enough contests when the intensity lifts and only runs one way.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
You can see why he slipped in the draft - yes, his kicking is elite (on his left side), but he doesn't get to enough contests when the intensity lifts and only runs one way.

Exactly -- arguably he won the Rising Star because he plays in a pretty shite team where he was able to get heaps of game time. Ward would have played every game at Brisbane this year too.

And first impressions last longest -- Rich had a good first few weeks, and now everyone thinks he's infallible.

comrade
12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Would any of you swap Ward for Rich?

I didn't think so.

strebla
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Would any of you swap Ward for Rich?

I didn't think so.

Maybe if they threw in Brown or Bradshaw

angelopetraglia
12-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Ward > Jordy.

LOL @ Tigers.

BulldogBelle
12-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I cant believe I was ever worried about wasting all that game time on Richmond McFailure. What a gun. An absolute gun. 200 gamer? 300 gamer.

strebla
12-09-2009, 01:59 AM
This kid is something special he has everything you want in a player Rich could do worse than to watch how he attacks the ball !!

Twodogs
12-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Ward > Jordy.

LOL @ Tigers.

Poor old Tiges. I'd like to say I feel sorry for them but I dont.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

neodog
12-09-2009, 03:28 AM
I cant believe I was ever worried about wasting all that game time on Richmond McFailure. What a gun. An absolute gun. 200 gamer? 300 gamer.

I got a feeling jordy left because Wallet had a man crush on this silky skill.

FrediKanoute
12-09-2009, 04:39 AM
I don't where players numbers on my footy jumper, but after his performance today, and this year generally (given I've only watched the last 4 games), I would without a doubt stick number 14 on the back of mine. The kid is something special and is a joy to watch.

As for Rich, wasn't overly impressed, but then it was not the sort of game he would have impressed on. Given some comments, could he be the next Nathan Eagleton?

Remi Moses
12-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Callan Ward is just sensational. But then again so is Rich,also I'd say if Rabblemond had their time over they'd pick ward ahead of Rance who for all his maniac attack on the ball is a poor kick and decision maker

Topdog
12-09-2009, 09:33 AM
A guy sitting behind me was screaming this out when Ward kicked the goal in the last. Hard to disagree and I turned around and said "I can't believe he came 6th in it". Overall the whole year Rich deserved it but Ward was better than 6th.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Go Callan, and thanks Richmond......

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Overall the whole year Rich deserved it but Ward was better than 6th.

Agree with this, I think the thing with Rich is that if the likes of Black, Sherman, Johnston get on top and feed him he looks fantastic, (remind you of Eagleton)

But also agree that they keep talking up his mature aged body, but he doesn't go in and use it - Unlike Ward.

Next year we will have a couple of Rising starts ourself - Reid, Okeefe, Stack
The year after - Cordy, Roughead, Mulligan

Love this Club.

Bulldog Joe
12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't where players numbers on my footy jumper, but after his performance today, and this year generally (given I've only watched the last 4 games), I would without a doubt stick number 14 on the back of mine. The kid is something special and is a joy to watch.

As for Rich, wasn't overly impressed, but then it was not the sort of game he would have impressed on. Given some comments, could he be the next Nathan Eagleton?

Will never be an Eagleton - lacks the ability to run.

Did you see Griff simply run away from Rich from a standing start in the 2nd quarter.

Ozza
12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Ward's chasing and tackling was fantastic, he won his own footy and finished like quality players do. He is pretty special.

"delicious"

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
After Wards first goal a mate received a text message: Thanks Richmond

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
This kid is something special he has everything you want in a player Rich could do worse than to watch how he attacks the ball !!

I think your environment has a lot to do with something like this -- Wardy has Picken and Tim Callan at training everyday to watch for maniacal dedication to winning the footy.

Then again, Rich is coached by Vossy, who would have attacked the football as hard as anyone (except maybe Archer, and Picken).

mjp
12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
A guy sitting behind me was screaming this out when Ward kicked the goal in the last. Hard to disagree and I turned around and said "I can't believe he came 6th in it". Overall the whole year Rich deserved it but Ward was better than 6th.

Champion data had him 5th.

Rich was poor last night but is a very good player.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Champion data had him 5th.

Rich was poor last night but is a very good player.

Mike,

Has Callan surprised you with what he's done so far?

I suppose what I'm saying is you were always confident that he was a very good footballer who made the right decisions at the right time, but did you think his progress would have been so swift?

The Pie Man
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
After Wards first goal a mate received a text message: Thanks Richmond

:D Quality

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Simple. I love him.

anfo27
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I have said it before, Callan Ward is my man crush. The kid lacks a bit of polish but makes up for it in guts, heart & desire. This kid has played 2 finals but he is the the one who leads by example out there. As much as i loathe Richmond i really love Richmond whenever i think of Callan.

Stefcep
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Rich had the better season overall. He had a bad game last night, but Black, Power Johnstone were all pretty ineffective too. Plus its his first final in Melbourne.

Ward is a gun, although his kicking for goal lets him down a bit.

Overall I think the best Rising Star over the year was Rich.

Happy Days
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Rich is a good player, and completely deserved the rising star, but geez is he ever overrated. Heard a guy in front of me, after his bomb out of the middle landed in Brown's arms, say he's "the best kick in the AFL". FFS, he's not even the best kick on their team. I'm not saying that I've based my opinion of a single comment made by one mug punter, but it's simptomatic of the attitude towards him from the footy public.

As for Ward, Rich may have had the better season, but he is as good, if not becoming a better player. I'm expecting him to really put some distance between himself and Rich next year, who I can't see geting a whole lot better.

Stefcep
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Rich is a good player, and completely deserved the rising star, but geez is he ever overrated. Heard a guy in front of me, after his bomb out of the middle landed in Brown's arms, say he's "the best kick in the AFL". FFS, he's not even the best kick on their team. I'm not saying that I've based my opinion of a single comment made by one mug punter, but it's simptomatic of the attitude towards him from the footy public.

As for Ward, Rich may have had the better season, but he is as good, if not becoming a better player. I'm expecting him to really put some distance between himself and Rich next year, who I can't see geting a whole lot better.

So he's peaked as a footballer at, what, 19? Barring injury Rich will play another 12-14 years. He'll mature mentally, and physically. As will Ward.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I think your environment has a lot to do with something like this -- Wardy has Picken and Tim Callan at training everyday to watch for maniacal dedication to winning the footy.

I'm not sure that's something you can teach, you just have it or you don't. Fortunately Callan has it in spades!

cede nullis
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Callan ward last night referred to as "selwood like" in commentary. I think his balance and smarts are awesome. To think we got him for trading McMahon it makes him even sweeter to watch!!
This is my first ever post!

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Callan ward last night referred to as "selwood like" in commentary. I think his balance and smarts are awesome. To think we got him for trading McMahon it makes him even sweeter to watch!!
This is my first ever post!

Welcome to WOOF cede nullis.

As a kid I often saw the words 'Cede Nullis' about the club or maybe it was on memberships & whatnot, but you rarely see it these days.

Yeild None!

mjp
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Mike,

Has Callan surprised you with what he's done so far?

I suppose what I'm saying is you were always confident that he was a very good footballer who made the right decisions at the right time, but did you think his progress would have been so swift?

I was surprised he was still available at pick 19 - you know that. I honestly thought he was in the best 10 players available that year...admittedly a biased view, but he had three things that were always going to separate him:

- Kicking skills.
- Clean hands below his knees.
- Competitive attitude that sees him absolutely burn inside if beaten.

The other thing was that due to his size he was never a dominant junior player - he couldn't just run down/run away from players as a youngster. He had to learn how to run angles and make good decisions just to win the ball/keep the ball. Earlier this year I thought he had become a bit too observant of the 'Take the Space' mantra at the club which led to him getting run down a few times - notice that hasn't happened much lately? He is back playing instinctive footy and trusting himself whilst playing within the plan.

Negatives? He always allowed his opponents a cushion, preferring to sit in space/cut the angles to actually playing one-on-one footy. I think this is a response to his own awareness of his leg-speed...and I would say it drives the coaches insane at times.

I think I have someone better this year as well....and he might be there at our pick!

DOG GOD
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I have said it before, Callan Ward is my man crush. The kid lacks a bit of polish but makes up for it in guts, heart & desire. This kid has played 2 finals but he is the the one who leads by example out there. As much as i loathe Richmond i really love Richmond whenever i think of Callan.

Pretty much the same for me. Ward is a CLASSIC in the making :)

vho
12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I was surprised he was still available at pick 19 - you know that. I honestly thought he was in the best 10 players available that year...admittedly a biased view, but he had three things that were always going to separate him:

- Kicking skills.
- Clean hands below his knees.
- Competitive attitude that sees him absolutely burn inside if beaten.

The other thing was that due to his size he was never a dominant junior player - he couldn't just run down/run away from players as a youngster. He had to learn how to run angles and make good decisions just to win the ball/keep the ball. Earlier this year I thought he had become a bit too observant of the 'Take the Space' mantra at the club which led to him getting run down a few times - notice that hasn't happened much lately? He is back playing instinctive footy and trusting himself whilst playing within the plan.

Negatives? He always allowed his opponents a cushion, preferring to sit in space/cut the angles to actually playing one-on-one footy. I think this is a response to his own awareness of his leg-speed...and I would say it drives the coaches insane at times.

I think I have someone better this year as well....and he might be there at our pick!

Sounds interesting, any clues on who this particular kid might be?

mjp
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Have mentioned him a couple of times.

There are two first round picks in my current group - well, I think that there are actually 4 first round picks, but two are for next year - and it is the player not named Anthony Morabito.

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Have mentioned him a couple of times.

There are two first round picks in my current group - well, I think that there are actually 4 first round picks, but two are for next year - and it is the player not named Anthony Morabito.

You can't have too many Black guys in the team

Happy Days
12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
So he's peaked as a footballer at, what, 19? Barring injury Rich will play another 12-14 years. He'll mature mentally, and physically. As will Ward.

Did I say he'd peaked?

He will get better, just not as much as the other good quality youngsters he's ahead of. Ever since the draft the knock on him has been that he doesn't have a whole lot of upside.

mjp
12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure that's something you can teach.

He was definitely taught that.

Only the mistakes are his own.:D

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
He has REALLY impressed me over the last 2 weeks he is going to become an absolutely sensational player his attack on the ball is amazing, I remember going to a game and we weren't playing the best there was a contest to be won right near where I was sitting I had the perfect view and Ward hit the pack so hard and won the ball you could hear it up in the stands I just just looked at my brother and was like "damn did you just see that".

Twodogs
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I think that there are actually 4 first round picks

Hey Mike, I'm willing to bet that none of them are forwards...

mjp
12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
A bet you would lose.

azabob
13-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Had to laugh yesterday morning when Mark Robinson brought up Callan Ward and said something along the lines to Terry Wallace; Callan Ward is hard at it etc etc the dogs picked him up with selection 19 which they got in the Jordan McMahon trade.
Wallace replies are you having a dig and Robbo says just stating the facts. lol

azabob
13-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Well hopefully you have the "bat phone" into Dalyrimples office....

dog town
14-09-2009, 11:05 AM
What has amazed me is how quickly he has fixed problems in his game. Consider his first goal in that first quarter. He pushes up and gathers the front and square from the contest, gathers cleanly at pace as he normally does. That is his bread and butter but what has changed is what he did next. Ten weeks ago he would have gathered it then ploughed into the Brisbane players in front of him. On this occasion he slowed slightly as he picked it up and ran sideways into space . He is now getting to the outside of the contest quicker and giving himself a chance to actually use the ball.

Even the one he scrapped to Aker was an example of him tying to get outside with the ball. I am not sure if this has been coached into him (should be) or if he has just begun learning this skill on his own but it makes him a vastly more damaging player. He is a far better kick in space than he has perhaps been given credit for as well.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 11:30 AM
His game on Friday was that of a hardened and wise veteran.
Total gun.
Did all the hard things when it counted.

strebla
14-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Welcome to WOOF cede nullis.

As a kid I often saw the words 'Cede Nullis' about the club or maybe it was on memberships & whatnot, but you rarely see it these days.

Yeild None!

It used to be at the bottom of the social club medallion but my understanding was concede nothing a little different but simmilar to yield none

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 12:45 PM
It used to be at the bottom of the social club medallion but my understanding was concede nothing a little different but simmilar to yield none

It is "Yield to None"

bulldogsman
14-09-2009, 01:03 PM
What has amazed me is how quickly he has fixed problems in his game. Consider his first goal in that first quarter. He pushes up and gathers the front and square from the contest, gathers cleanly at pace as he normally does. That is his bread and butter but what has changed is what he did next. Ten weeks ago he would have gathered it then ploughed into the Brisbane players in front of him. On this occasion he slowed slightly as he picked it up and ran sideways into space . He is now getting to the outside of the contest quicker and giving himself a chance to actually use the ball.

Even the one he scrapped to Aker was an example of him tying to get outside with the ball. I am not sure if this has been coached into him (should be) or if he has just begun learning this skill on his own but it makes him a vastly more damaging player. He is a far better kick in space than he has perhaps been given credit for as well.

Ward has mentioned that the coach wanted him to get more outside, which is why he went back to Willy for a few weeks.

dog town
14-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Ward has mentioned that the coach wanted him to get more outside, which is why he went back to Willy for a few weeks. That would mean more touches out on his own running into space or from handball receives which he has done. I also think they would have wanted more touches where he wins it inside and takes it outside himself. He was becoming a bit of a tackle bag there for a while and he is too good to be doing that for the rest of his career. Very impressed by how quickly he adapted and improved this area.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 02:57 PM
By a mile best young player of the Finals Series

Go_Dogs
14-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Will Sportsbet pay out on Ward for the Rising Star award now? Haha.

Thought this exact same thing on the weekend. Ward showed his class, and Rich didn't do a whole lot. But hey, I even believed Rich's kicking was overrated...

Raw Toast
14-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Great post - I reckon Ward's kicking in general is under-rated. He hasn't been consistently excellent (but which young kid is), but he's shown the vision and skill and distance to break the game open.

The thing we haven't seen this season is his marking on the lead. In some early games last year he took the ball out in front from stab-passes that would've been spilt by most 'pure' forwards. I wouldn't mind isolating him in the goal-square occasionally against the Saints, but we probably need him in the middle too much.

dog town
14-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Great post - I reckon Ward's kicking in general is under-rated. He hasn't been consistently excellent (but which young kid is), but he's shown the vision and skill and distance to break the game open.

The thing we haven't seen this season is his marking on the lead. In some early games last year he took the ball out in front from stab-passes that would've been spilt by most 'pure' forwards. I wouldn't mind isolating him in the goal-square occasionally against the Saints, but we probably need him in the middle too much. I think they will start using him as an occasional forward next season. It is obvious he has the attributes to be pretty dangerous.