PDA

View Full Version : Who misses out?

Rocco Jones
13-09-2009, 08:49 PM
For me it has to be out of Callan, Williams and Welsh. I definitely would have Callan in. Welsh out, Williams in. Very lineball.

AndrewP6
13-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd put Williams in only IF (and it's a big IF) he's 100%... as for out - if it comes down to it, I'd have to say Callan... hate to say it, as I like him, but anyway..

LostDoggy
13-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I think i know how Rocket & the selection panel works now, so i believe it will be.

Out: Callan
In: Williams

They won't drop an experienced player in Welsh, won't happen (i would be very surprised if it did).

This is of course if Williams comes in, otherwise Callan will hold his spot.

BulldogBelle
13-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Does anyone remember whether we had Williams in the team that beat the Saints last year? I think one of the two games. But then again we had Cam Wight in one of those teams.....

Rocco Jones
13-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I think i know how Rocket & the selection panel works now, so i believe it will be.

Out: Callan
In: Williams

They won't drop an experienced player in Welsh, won't happen (i would be very surprised if it did).

This is of course if Williams comes in, otherwise Callan will hold his spot.

I pretty much agree with that. I was basing my call on what I would do rather than Eade. Rocket doesn't drop senior players and I would be very surprised if he dropped Welsh ahead of Callan.

The Coon Dog
13-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Callan for me.

If Williams comes in then Morris, Hargrave & Gilbee all drop back one. Between those 3 they should do the sort of job Callan would have been expected to do.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Callan for me.

If Williams comes in then Morris, Hargrave & Gilbee all drop back one. Between those 3 they should do the sort of job Callan would have been expected to do.

Good point.

Although I think having both Callan and Williams in the side would be handy. They have a number of talls and smalls that play up forward but we'd be able to cover that and have several possible match-ups with both of our boys included.

I don't see a position for Welsh. He's really struggled to impact big games and particularly finals. Why would that suddenly change this week? It's not as though he's in good form. Whilst his reading of the play is OK I think Williams would be the better selection, even if it means playing Williams up forward at times which I think we should try.

LostDoggy
13-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Callan for me but unlucky though.

1eyedog
13-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I'll base it on last Friday's form. Thought Callan was very good on Friday night. Welsh out.

Sedat
13-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Presuming Williams comes into the team to counter the twin tower threat of Riewoldt and Kosi, who does Dale Morris then go to? He's kind of left out there like a shag on a rock without a decent match-up IMO. Apart from Riewoldt (who has torched him this season), there are no other hard-leading forwards for the Saints (basically the type of player that Morris is best suited to). It's either land of the giants (with Gardiner drifting forward on occasions) or the small forwards (Milne, Schneider) or the mid sized defensive forwards (McQualter, Eddy). I'm not suggesting for a second that Morris would or should be dropped this week, but unless he takes Riewoldt, I'm just not entirely sure how he should be best utilised in the team this week.

If Morris played for Collingwood and they were playing St Kilda this week, Malthouse might very well have dropped him purely for match-up purposes.

The Coon Dog
13-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Presuming Williams comes into the team to counter the twin tower threat of Riewoldt and Kosi, who does Dale Morris then go to? He's kind of left out there like a shag on a rock without a decent match-up IMO. Apart from Riewoldt (who has torched him this season), there are no other hard-leading forwards for the Saints (basically the type of player that Morris is best suited to). It's either land of the giants (with Gardiner drifting forward on occasions) or the small forwards (Milne, Schneider) or the mid sized defensive forwards (McQualter, Eddy). I'm not suggesting for a second that Morris would or should be dropped this week, but unless he takes Riewoldt, I'm just not entirely sure how he should be best utilised in the team this week.

If Morris played for Collingwood and they were playing St Kilda this week, Malthouse might very well have dropped him purely for match-up purposes.

Does Morris have the tank to run with Goddard, irrespective of where he plays?

Rocco Jones
13-09-2009, 11:36 PM

I think that a key element of curbing/beating Goddard (Fisher and Gilbert for that matter) is the ability to hurt him on the scoreboard. It means that Goddard has to pay a bit more respect to his defensive duties. I would have liked Picken to have a crack at the forward defensive tag role, he obviously has the defensive qualities but he also knows his way around goal.

It's an area where I am especially worried about. I think that Goddard, Fisher and Gilbert can really exploit some of our forwards. I'm looking at you Mitch!

I think Morris will be right for options. He beat Roo last year and even if Williams plays, Tom could take the resting ruck/tag team with Morris on taller opponents. Schneider is the other option, Dale is great at totally shutting down decent small forwards without great ability/speed.

Topdog
14-09-2009, 12:23 AM
It's an area where I am especially worried about. I think that Goddard, Fisher and Gilbert can really exploit some of our forwards. I'm looking at you Mitch!

This is why I would drop Welsh. We simply can't afford to play him as a forward against the Saints and Geelong, which means he has to play as a defender and I'd rather Williams as a defender.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2009, 12:49 AM
If he's fit, I'd have a hard look at Reid.

boydogs
14-09-2009, 01:17 AM

I wouldn't have thought so. I think the Saints would be very happy to be able to draw Dale up the ground with this matchup

How about Gilbee forward? We brought in Callan for Hill last week to give ourselves that extra defender, having Gilbee's kicking up there could help in a low scoring defensive game, in bombing them through from 55 and nailing our opportunities with accurate goal kicking. He could also be a stopper against Goddard, Gilbert or Fisher

Who would you leave out?

Desipura
14-09-2009, 09:53 AM
You already know my take on this, Welsh out for Williams. Callan is handy in that he will not be afraid to go where not many other small backman do. That is in the path of a Riewoldt and Kosi. We will need all the help we can get down back. Welsh has hardly been carving them up in the forwardline.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Thought Callan's hardness at the ball on Friday night was great, and just what we needed. Hopefully, he will hold his spot and carve up that little S ** T, Milne, who I intensely dislike:D I am a little nervous about Williams coming in (he always seems to be a risky option), and would agree that, if Tommygun is in, it would have to be Welsh that is dropped.

The Coon Dog
14-09-2009, 10:26 AM
For those that vote 'Some other guy' just curious, who did you have in mind?

Tatts88
14-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't have thought so. I think the Saints would be very happy to be able to draw Dale up the ground with this matchup

How about Gilbee forward? We brought in Callan for Hill last week to give ourselves that extra defender, in a low scoring game having Gilbee's kicking up there could help in a low scoring defensive game, in bombing them through from 55 and nailing our opportunities with accurate goal kicking. He could also be a stopper against Goddard, Gilbert or Fisher

Who would you leave out?

Willimas in for Callan or Welsh, tough call.

chef
14-09-2009, 10:50 AM
For those that vote 'Some other guy' just curious, who did you have in mind?

That's the way i voted as i think we need Williams to come against the saints but i am struggling with who to dropped. It was either Welsh or Hahn and I couldn't decide. Callan is going to needed on Schneider, Hargrave on Milne and Harbrow(his opponent would be McQualter) playing more offensively out of the back half IMO. Williams, Morris and Lake to take Kosi, Roo and Gardiner(when he pushes forward).

I'm glad I don't have to pick the side.

dog town
14-09-2009, 10:54 AM
If he's fit, I'd have a hard look at Reid. Worth considering. This is going to be a brutal game for the whole 120 minutes. As important as tactics and breaking down the saints zone etc are going to be finals so often just revert to a basic contest by contest style. To borrow a line from the movie Platoon "we need every swinging dick out there". I would be surprised if it doesn't cross Rockets mind. Every contest is going to be influential this week.

Desipura
14-09-2009, 11:06 AM

At who's expense?

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2009, 12:01 PM
At who's expense?

Welsh is the only position in doubt, I would think.

Bulldog4life
14-09-2009, 12:36 PM
For me the ulucky player is Welsh. Not that it influences the MC but Hargrave has said Callan is a must to play. It is going to be a dour defensive struggle so we can't afford to drop Callan who is a real hard nut. Morris has said that we are better in the back half when we have Williams in the team. No doubt his height is a factor.

We have enough forwards to kick a winning score. Just like Josh Hill Scott Welsh is a victim of horses for courses.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 12:42 PM
No changes Welsh loose man in front of the Big Roo Sook... he reads the game ok in defence

bulldogsman
14-09-2009, 12:52 PM
No changes Welsh loose man in front of the Big Roo Sook... he reads the game ok in defence

Better then Fisher, Goddard or Gilbert? No way would I do that, Fisher killed Collingwood with 42 disposals last week.

mighty_west
14-09-2009, 01:04 PM
The only change i would even consider would be Williams for Welsh, but as we all know, Williams needs a game or 2 to find his way - it's the Preliminary Final, not round 17, big risk imo, i wonder if Tiller could be an option also?

Welsh seems to be the stop gap player down back, is he a better option than those other 2 players, going to be a big call, Welsh has never stepped up to the plate come finals time up forward.

Callan has to stay, love his hardness, imo we need at least one of either Callan or Addison, Timmy might just have held onto his opportunity from last week, players like himself, Picken & co will give inspiration to the team by going in hard, and the team will follow, we just have to be 110% ruthless, no second chances.

Sorry Scotty, Williams in for Welsh, his game v the Pies, he was rusty as stated, but, kept his man in check, thats all we ask for, if he does nothing else but hold Kosi, thats good enough for me, Morris to take Nick, Williams to hold out Kosi, and Lake to play on 3rd forward and zone off, we are ALOT better down back when Lake can do that, thats the way i would go for the next 2 games.

Joshy Hill also unlucky, but, as stated, we have enough firepower going the other way if the game is played on our terms.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Better then Fisher, Goddard or Gilbert? No way would I do that, Fisher killed Collingwood with 42 disposals last week.

I dont think Williams is the answer to play on Roo but they play through him all the time . If we can stifle him they might not have plan B .

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I think Williams has to play and be pushed forward as some stage depending on how the game is heading. Welsh to be dropped but i think they are more likely to drop Callan

Dry Rot
14-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I dont think Williams is the answer to play on Roo .

Agreed, but IMO the focus on Williams is misplaced.

IMO our biggest hurdle against them will be scoring ourselves, not stopping them. IMO any change should focus on that.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Lake - Roo
Williams - Kosi
Morris - Milne
Callan - Schneider
Hargy - Eddy
Harbrow - Other

That to me looks like some good match-ups. Morris can be third man up provided he has support on the ground to make sure Milne doesn't get cheap kicks out the back. Some hard running back to help out would be good. We also have Gilbee up our sleeve to play back too, or move him forward and use his foot skills to hit forward targets as opposed to bombing.

With all that said, i don't see where Welsh fits in.

PaddyWhack
14-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Welsh kissed his finals series goodbye on Friday night with winning the ball at the Punt Rd end, then meekly chip kicking straight to a Lion - Welsh's distraught reaction spoke volumes, I thought.
Callan might be hard at it, but he strikes me as a yard too slow for AFL seniors (esp finals) - if he's in to do a specific defensive job however, then so be it.

yeah_sampson
14-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I would prefer Reid over Williams. I'm not a big fan of wiiliams, but the height may be good down back for us over Callan. I think that's what Eade will look at Williams' height.

BulldogBelle
14-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Lake - Roo
Williams - Kosi
Morris - Milne
Callan - Schneider
Hargy - Eddy
Harbrow - Other

That to me looks like some good match-ups. Morris can be third man up provided he has support on the ground to make sure Milne doesn't get cheap kicks out the back. Some hard running back to help out would be good. We also have Gilbee up our sleeve to play back too, or move him forward and use his foot skills to hit forward targets as opposed to bombing.

I like this! Have to be thinking match ups and game plan to win this week - not necessarily best 22. Having said that I think in the end it will be "No Change"

Happy Days
14-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Lake - Roo
Williams - Kosi
Morris - Milne
Callan - Schneider
Hargy - Eddy
Harbrow - Other

Totally agree with all of this, and it should happen; but it won't. We all know Rocket's reluctance to drop experienced players, and guess who isn't one of them? Timmy Callan.

He doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he will be.

Rocco Jones
14-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I know Milne can be very dangerous but I wouldn't put a purely negating type like Morris or Callan on him. The Saints set the standard for defensive pressure but I think it's a weakness of Milne's. He has had 58 tackles this year, way behind his fellow small forward in Schneider (highest amount of inside 50 tackles in the league) with 106 and McQualter 99. I would take the risk and play Harbrow or Shaggy on him, with the aim of burning him going the other way. Harbrow beat him earlier in the year and Shaggy absolutely smashed him the game before that. It's the type of risk we have to take.

neodog
15-09-2009, 04:26 PM
If i was eade, i would have no change and would trust in Callan to provide the chop off hardness support infront of the goals.

Mofra
15-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I really want Callan to stay in. He's borderline psychotic and that's exactly the type we need in the side. Welsh is in trouble and Hahn would be escaping scrutiny after a 4 goal effort.

As an aside, is a half-fit Murphy better than a Williams finding his feet?

BulldogBelle
15-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Lets get ahead of ourselves. Assuming we win this week, and Geelong get over Collingwood (likely), Williams suddenly becomes more important. I'm sure if we played the Cats in the GF, we would have Mooney, Hawkins and Ottens all lining up in the forward line. We need Tom then. If the dogs are thinking the same way, sorry Welshy, your toast.

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Williams has looked a little lost as to where to position himself / his timing can be astray when first returning from injury. So it is a gamble to include him.

Welsh allows flexibility and Callan, despite being a smidgen slow and occasionally error prone, can set the tone with his hardness and willingness to contest down back.

We need a small...does another tall make us top heavy and slower at spillages and back ups? Or does that mean we'll be too short? Maybe, but if Williams isn't fine tuned (and there are those who say he is ready to go), he'll get the run around. We can't afford any player to be off the boil or we will be exposed.

Welsh is a gamble also because he can contribute little but we do need flexibilty in a game like this...and he has been practising this for a while now!

I'll go the conservative route and say No change unless there are unexpected injuries such as to Murph.