PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Trading

Bulldog Revolution
15-09-2009, 02:43 PM
So far linked to:

Josh Gibson

Shaun Burgoyne

Marcus Drum

Is this going to be another classic Pelchen trade week, or are they actually going to land these players?

hotdog
15-09-2009, 02:52 PM
So far linked to:

Josh Gibson

Shaun Burgoyne

Marcus Drum

Is this going to be another classic Pelchen trade week, or are they actually going to land these players?

IMO once they stated that they were going to be aggressive at the trade table anybody looking for a home will be connected to the Hawks. Just as any player over 190cm looking for a home is linked to us as a possible trade. I just hope Pelchen ends up landing none, the Hawks reputation as impossible to trade with grows and they find themselves friendless during the Gold Coast/ West Sydney years.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2009, 03:05 PM
IMO once they stated that they were going to be aggressive at the trade table anybody looking for a home will be connected to the Hawks. Just as any player over 190cm looking for a home is linked to us as a possible trade. I just hope Pelchen ends up landing none, the Hawks reputation as impossible to trade with grows and they find themselves friendless during the Gold Coast/ West Sydney years.
What he said. I can't stand the Pelchan.

Mofra
15-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Gibson will get done, although I expect North to play hardball.

strebla
15-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I hope that no-one deals with the pelican what a turd

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 01:11 AM
They will most likely get Gibson and maybe another tall maybe a ruckman?

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I thought Gibson is only like 188cm or something. So he isn't really a key position defender.

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Hawthorn's problem is that they think their players are actually better than what they are.

Case and point Tim Boyle a couple of years ago, we apparently chased him pretty hard, (can't remember what we offered tho)!!! Now retired.... lucky we never got him DUD!!!!

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Gibson will get done, although I expect North to play hardball.

Which means they'll just take Hawks pick #9

Mofra
16-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought Gibson is only like 188cm or something. So he isn't really a key position defender.
189cm, however he plays taller than his height. Has taken gun CHFs this year, beat Buddy.

Sedat
16-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Hawthorn's problem is that they think their players are actually better than what they are.

Case and point Tim Boyle a couple of years ago
Pelchan thought he was worth Shaun Higgins :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
17-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Case and point Tim Boyle a couple of years ago, we apparently chased him pretty hard, (can't remember what we offered tho)!!! Now retired.... lucky we never got him DUD!!!!

One of the most accurate things I have ever heard.

LostDoggy
17-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Im starting to see Hawthorn in 2010..If they do get a lot of these traded players this is what I think might happen.

Gibson kicks to Spangher..Spangher goes for a run..handball to Burgoyne..Burgoyne palms off to Coughlan..Coughlan kicks backwards to Seaby. Seaby hands off to Tuck, Tuck quick handball to Lovett...Lovett runs in and kicks long to goal square..hes looking for Lloyd ohhhhhh no Nathan Brown has just got in the way and clashed heads with Lloyd. EPIC FAIL at Hawthorn as they win the wooden spoon in 2010.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Unless a ruck or genuine backman comes up, i can't see the Hawks parting with high enough picks to get a decent player. I still would think Chris Tarrant may be a realistic target for them. He has shown he is more settled down back and he wants to come back to Melbourne. If Freo can get a decent pick for him, they should take it and get more kids.

Mofra
17-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I still would think Chris Tarrant may be a realistic target for them. He has shown he is more settled down back and he wants to come back to Melbourne. If Freo can get a decent pick for him, they should take it and get more kids.
He is contracted for next season & Freo have said they wont let him go. May be just a bargaining tactic.

There's only one player in the rumour file I don't want to see go to the Hawks - Brian Lake

bulldogtragic
17-09-2009, 03:27 PM
He is contracted for next season & Freo have said they wont let him go. May be just a bargaining tactic.

There's only one player in the rumour file I don't want to see go to the Hawks - Brian Lake
Possibly a tactic, I would think if he is making noises and his manager is talking to the media saying he will entertain a trade, his restlessness might only be put off one year which must be disconcerting to Freo. Next year his value falls dramatically if he leaves uncontracted with GC17 taking top picks. Why take the risk would be my philosophy as he isn't completely vital like a Sandilands or Pavlich is.

So if Pelchan has a heart attack and someone else more reasonable negotiates for the Hawks, if they could snag pick 54, Drum and Tarrant for pick 27 and 43 then they both should take the deal. Freo gets some more highly rated kids, Hawks get two tall backs and keep their first rounder. I look at this and see a sense of reasonableness which was i think it may happen (Note Pelchan will F&%K it up though).

And Burgoyne and Lovett isn't where i would think Hawthorn need to invest as much as a decent ruck and tall backmen. Of those that could be on the market (now Lake is off the market most likely) would be Drum (hoping for a cheap price he could be like Gilham was underperforming at Port) and Tarrant for the few years he has left in the game. The Gibson deal looks a long way off to me, no way he is a top 10 pick and North should make him jump, which would mean the deal is in doubt. Tarrant to the Hawks would also give them flexibility to drop Roughy back and Tarrant forward if they ever wanted to. And cost less than Gibson while still filling a gaping need.

But for all this diatribe, i don't really give two shits what they do. So long as it doesn't affect us.

Topdog
17-09-2009, 04:50 PM
So if Pelchan has a heart attack and someone else more reasonable negotiates for the Hawks, if they could snag pick 54, Drum and Tarrant for pick 27 and 43 then they both should take the deal. Freo gets some more highly rated kids, Hawks get two tall backs and keep their first rounder. I look at this and see a sense of reasonableness which was i think it may happen

This draft is not deep at all. Getting pick 27 for Tarrant is not worth it.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2009, 06:06 PM
This draft is not deep at all. Getting pick 27 for Tarrant is not worth it.
What's he worth TD? Lower 2nd or first?

Topdog
17-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Probably pick 27 to be honest but in a shallow draft (widely reported, personally i have no idea) what is the point. They would be better off getting a young player than the draft pick.

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Possibly a tactic, I would think if he is making noises and his manager is talking to the media saying he will entertain a trade, his restlessness might only be put off one year which must be disconcerting to Freo. Next year his value falls dramatically if he leaves uncontracted with GC17 taking top picks. Why take the risk would be my philosophy as he isn't completely vital like a Sandilands or Pavlich is.

So if Pelchan has a heart attack and someone else more reasonable negotiates for the Hawks, if they could snag pick 54, Drum and Tarrant for pick 27 and 43 then they both should take the deal. Freo gets some more highly rated kids, Hawks get two tall backs and keep their first rounder. I look at this and see a sense of reasonableness which was i think it may happen (Note Pelchan will F&%K it up though).

And Burgoyne and Lovett isn't where i would think Hawthorn need to invest as much as a decent ruck and tall backmen. Of those that could be on the market (now Lake is off the market most likely) would be Drum (hoping for a cheap price he could be like Gilham was underperforming at Port) and Tarrant for the few years he has left in the game. The Gibson deal looks a long way off to me, no way he is a top 10 pick and North should make him jump, which would mean the deal is in doubt. Tarrant to the Hawks would also give them flexibility to drop Roughy back and Tarrant forward if they ever wanted to. And cost less than Gibson while still filling a gaping need.

But for all this diatribe, i don't really give two shits what they do. So long as it doesn't affect us.

I think you are seriously over-estimating draft picks. remember only 30% of kids drafted make 50 games. Even in the first round the average still is less than half.

I think Tarrant and Gibson are both woth pick 9 (individually I mean, not together). Drum has no value at all.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I think you are seriously over-estimating draft picks. remember only 30% of kids drafted make 50 games. Even in the first round the average still is less than half.

I think Tarrant and Gibson are both woth pick 9 (individually I mean, not together). Drum has no value at all.
Possibly. But i would be concerned about losing Tarrant the next year at a lower rate. Perhaps if we looked to trade Farren earlier, his value would have been higher (is my thinking here). I would have suggested pick 9, but Hawthorn's ludicrous trading history/behaviour indicates to me that it's not on the cards and Freo's rolling-over last year with Warnock shows they can be moved (admittedly he was out of contract. So i'm not sure whether it's fear of losing Tarrant for near nothing in 2010, as opposed to overrating picks. As for Drum i completely agree, in the scenario i threw up there was a chaging in the draft order by about 10 picks ala Farren, Doogs, Birss, King etc. Perhaps even a little high everything considered, but that extra little bit would make the Tarrant trade a little more pallatable. Not suggesting its going to happen at all, but of the myriad of possibilities, it seems more plausible than every other player who is rumoured to be going to Hawthorn who does not address their structural dificiencies.