PDA

View Full Version : Moves From Left Field

boydogs
18-09-2009, 12:04 AM
What are some possible switches that we could pull during the game on Friday night to upset the Saints? Catching them off guard with mismatches could make all the difference. Here are some to get you thinking:

Cooney Forward
Quick off the mark on the lead as well as a handy crumber able to snap goals. This has already been mentioned as a way to beat the Jones tag if it is bothering him and could work IMO if our forwards are struggling

Harbrow Forward
Quick and evasive, and able to apply defensive pressure if our forwardline starts to resemble a trampoline. Was tried in the last quarter last week so seems to be one they are looking at

Hahn in the middle
Could give us a boost around the centre bounce and stoppages if we are down on contested ball, even in short bursts

Cross loose in defense
Could be used to guard the space in front of Riewoldt if he looks like breaking the game open to force the Saints to kick it on top of his head rather than on the lead to him

What can you come up with?

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Play Williams in the back line and move Lake forward would be a radical move that might throw the Saints off. Having said that, it's not a move I would make.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Kosi, Reiwoldt & Gardner all starting in the forward line with King in the ruck! :eek:

The Underdog
18-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Hargrave as a defensive forward on Goddard? Essentially doing a tagging role.
We'd lose some drive from defence but we almost need a negating player on him. Shaggy cam kick a goal at times too.

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Play Williams in the back line and move Lake forward would be a radical move that might throw the Saints off. Having said that, it's not a move I would make.

Kosi, Reiwoldt & Gardner all starting in the forward line with King in the ruck! :eek:

Did you miss the highlighted section?

Mantis
18-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Did you miss the highlighted section?

I think TCD was implying that we really only have cover for Riewoldt and Kosi so if Gardiner plays forward we would have to play Welsh or Hargrave on him which isn't a preferred match-up.

That's the way I read it anyway.

Topdog
18-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah I read TCD's as a move from left field for the Saints.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Minson on Roo and to tenderise him.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah I read TCD's as a move from left field for the Saints.

Yes, it was, sorry I wasn't really clear.

neodog
18-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Willliams comes in for Minson and play in the rucks...will play the mobile ruckman running off King/Gardner around the ground and guard them when they move forward.

bornadog
18-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Boumann at Full forward:D

easybeat
18-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Hargrave as a defensive forward on Goddard? Essentially doing a tagging role.
We'd lose some drive from defence but we almost need a negating player on him. Shaggy cam kick a goal at times too.

I agree with you UD. This would be a brilliant move.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Also possible is that they throw one of their tall defenders forward when they dont have a match up. Lets hope we are not stretched for height

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree with you UD. This would be a brilliant move.

I like/prefer Griffen on Goddard. Very similar attributes (they always say Goddard is a hard match-up because of his size, athleticism and overhead ability, but I think Griff is his equal in all areas except maybe stamina). If it works it would totally physically negate Goddard while forcing him to be accountable.

bornadog
18-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I like/prefer Griffen on Goddard. Very similar attributes (they always say Goddard is a hard match-up because of his size, athleticism and overhead ability, but I think Griff is his equal in all areas except maybe stamina). If it works it would totally physically negate Goddard while forcing him to be accountable.

Will that move give us something up forward?

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I threw some suggestions via SMS at Mark Fine and Nathan Thompson last night on SEN when they were asking for tactical masterstrokes, but they rejected the lot (and gave the prize to the brilliant suggestions of putting Ling in the forwardline, and making sure Scarlett doesn't give Geelong too much rebound; obviously well-established and obvious things are now considered 'innovative'. Thank goodness they're not our brains trust.)

Anyway, for the record, my suggestions were:

#1 - Griffen or Gilbee on Goddard as defensive forwards. Both have the physical attributes to go with him while making him accountable. Finey's answer was that's not Griff or Gilbee's go, Gilbee plays in the backline and we're better off getting the ball in his hands off half-back. Wow, he's obviously watched a lot of Dogs' games post 2006.

#2 - Scott Welsh as swingman at times in the game, dropping back into the hole, dropping back to Kosi so Lake can go forward etc. Finey said that we should 'at no point should we do this' and that if we do, Fisher will have a field day as the free man in the Saints defence.

#3 - Go with a 7-man forwardline: man up on all the Saints defenders and don't let the Saints create drive off the half-back line. Finey said that this would give Riewoldt the freedom of the forward 50. To Thommo's credit, he said sometimes you have to roll the dice and trust your defenders to stand up.

#4 (which they didn't read out) - Shut down the game and play keepings off on the wing whenever the Saints seem like they are getting on top (kill the momentum). The Saints can't score if they don't have the ball.

Obviously these aren't set plans for the whole game -- tactical masterstrokes rarely are -- but change-ups in the flow of the game to keep the opposition guessing. Rocket does this better than most, and I'll daresay he'll use most of these tonight anyway (I didn't really make them up, but just suggested stuff I've seen Rocket pull out all year). Walls's article on Rocket in The Age today suggests that he's as experimental as anyone who's ever coached, and I'm glad that he's in the box today, and not those revolutionary thinkers Mark Fine and Nathan Thompson.

Topdog
18-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Not really from left field but I believe it is imperative that we put Picken on Dal Santo. He is someone who can get frustrated with a close tag and we should direct Picken to do nothing but tackle and harrass DS.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Shaggy on Riewoldt?

Gia to continually run in front of Kozi...

Hahn to get physical with Goddard

DOG GOD
18-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Skipper to be a late inclusion and concuss roo out of the match in the 1st 5 mins.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I said and no body belied that Minson will smash roo but not enough. Many people on this thread were right but just not enough.