PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Blues eyeing Andrejs Everitt in trade deal with Bulldogs

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Greg Denham | September 18, 2009

CARLTON is optimistic about its chances of recruiting out-of-favour Western Bulldogs flanker Andrejs Everitt during next month's trade week.

The contracted Everitt, who is in his third season after being a first-round national draft in 2006, is understood to have been offered up to the Blues in exchange for a draft selection, and possibly a player.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swan confirmed yesterday his club's interest in the younger brother of recently retired ruckman Peter Everitt, but declared the Blues would not part with its first-round pick, No11 overall.

To clinch the deal, Swan said the Blues would be prepared to part with a second-round selection, which stands at No27 before the player-exchange period, which begins on October 5.

Everitt appears certain to miss finals action two years in a row after so far being overlooked again this season.

Article in full... (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26088449-5012432,00.html)

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure of the validity of this but it makes for a fascinating trade week.
Is the primary reason for an Everitt departure because we looking for a way to squeeze Hall into the side or is it mainly driven by Everitt's desire to play regular senior football?

Time will tell I suppose.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 06:29 AM
I do not understand why we would do this trade. He we our first draft. A tall play that we are short of.
Still contracted. In a shallow draft (as they say) tall players are in demand.
Hope it is only a ploy to fire up Everitt for next year.

chef
18-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Didn't he sign a contract extension not long back?

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I do not understand why we would do this trade. He we our first draft. A tall play that we are short of.
Still contracted. In a shallow draft (as they say) tall players are in demand.
Hope it is only a ploy to fire up Everitt for next year.

Whilst it does seem strange with the Gold Coast side coming into the competition soon, if there is any chance this speculation is correct it's better to get something of value now for Everitt than potentially lose him for nothing next year.

I doubt we would want to trade him but there might be a bigger picture to consider here.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks GVGjr
He is contracted to the end of 2011. Bulldogs has trained him up for the last 3 years, then trade for an 18 yrs old.
The article did say that the club offered him for trade.
Let see what happens.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 07:06 AM
We're not really in a position to expect alot for him.

He was a first round choice who has rarely played in the seniors for 2 years. A bit hard to expect a first round pick/player in return I think.

Topdog
18-09-2009, 07:36 AM
It would be silly to trade him now. Must at least keep him for 1 more year and see how it goes. At worst we can trade next year when GC is around. I'm fairly sure that CLayton would be interested.

MrMahatma
18-09-2009, 07:38 AM
We gave him the No. 3 cause we thought he'd be a star.

I don't see what's changed. He's a tall guy still developing. He was good in Rd 22 and I wouldn't be surpirsed if he played most games next year.

comrade
18-09-2009, 07:38 AM
We're not really in a position to expect alot for him.

He was a first round choice who has rarely played in the seniors for 2 years. A bit hard to expect a first round pick/player in return I think.

A late second round pick in this draft is way under the odds for a key position-ish type player who has shown glimpses in the past and is about to enter a pre-season injury free.

Plus, he's contracted into the 2011 season, so we'll still be in a position to trade him if he struggles next year - hopefully we can snag one of the GC's litany of good picks.

He could potentially explode next year after a couple of seasons in the system - I'd hate it to be with Carlton, whilst we're left with a marginal kid who may have been a third round pick in previous years.

Hairy Albert
18-09-2009, 07:49 AM
No deal !!!

Hot_Doggies
18-09-2009, 08:39 AM
After watching some of his efforts against Collingwood in the VFL, i would take pick 27 and run.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 08:58 AM
He will have far greater currency next year given the GC involvement which will force clubs to look more keenly at trades.

More importantly, I wouldn't be writing him off just yet

Given the right position, I still think he can become a good player.

bornadog
18-09-2009, 10:04 AM
We gave him the No. 3 cause we thought he'd be a star.

I don't see what's changed. He's a tall guy still developing. He was good in Rd 22 and I wouldn't be surpirsed if he played most games next year.

I agree, he is still a kid at age 20 and we would be taking a risk to get an unknown at pick 27. At 193cm, has shown ability and will mature over the next couple of years.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Pick 27 is no deal. Close perhaps, but it needs to be higher than that. If they put in a ruckman and pick 27, i might reconsider the deal.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Pick 27 is no deal. Close perhaps, but it needs to be higher than that. If they put in a ruckman and pick 27, i might reconsider the deal.

Yeah, might take pick 27 and Warnock......that would just about make me happy!!

strebla
18-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe a straight swap for big fev i would consider but i think this kid will mature and be a player in a year or 2

azabob
18-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I would be disapointed if they traded him for a second round draft pick and a player which most likely would be Brad Fisher.
We should at least wait and see what he delivers next year.
We stuck fat with Cam Wight for much longer than 3 years.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Definitely no deal.
He'll be a gun, no doubt.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 01:06 PM
The draft isn't very deep this year. Everitt is going to be a good player, has just signed a new contract indicating he wants to stay and is happy at the club. What the hell are Carlton trying to do? Losers!

The article says we've offered him up to them. Am I reading this right? So are we putting Everitt on the market? This is the dumbest thing ever. Our club has a lack of talls and then when we find some capable ones we try and trade them away?

neodog
18-09-2009, 01:16 PM
After watching some of his efforts against Collingwood in the VFL, i would take pick 27 and run.

What about his effort against Collingwood in the AFL??? No Trade.

BulldogBelle
18-09-2009, 01:19 PM
No way!! He's on the brink of becoming a regular senior player. Remember, established players will be retiring over the next couple of years, and he'll be ready to slip in. He's only a young kid still. He'll play 200 for us.

Topdog
18-09-2009, 01:30 PM

What about his efforts in the AFL against Collingwood?

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah I'd swap him for Juddy :D

BulldogBelle
18-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I know that one game doesnt make a trend, but the guy played a great game against Collingwood this year

And played some great footy in his rookie season

He should start to blossom soon

NO DEAL

Pick 27....the guy was a first round draft pick

Carlton as well....I feel dirty typing that word

The Bulldogs Bite
18-09-2009, 01:55 PM
If what's reported is true (unlikely), why would we want to trade Everitt? He's had a couple of injury setbacks and although he has a few areas of concern that need to be addressed, he's shown an ability at AFL level to play in the midfield and possibly across half forward. He's not going to be the KPD the club originally thought; is that the logic behind this article/idea of trading him?

His game v Collingwood was fantastic and surely proves that he is more than capable of playing good footy at the highest level. His intensity was much better, took a couple of strong marks and finished off. At 193cm, 20 years of age with a lot of potential - you don't trade those types out. You trade for them.

I'd be very disappointed if this was the case and very suprised too.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 02:03 PM
NO Trade for mine...

At the end of this season - good bye Scott Welsh, there's a spot right there!!!
We know what he can do, he is contracted, he wears No 3...
Big Pre season - the right attitude - 2010 big year 4 AE..

Remi Moses
18-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Look at the writer of the article GREG DENHAM :eek::eek:Just love to bookmark Denhams supposed trades and his accuracy:rolleyes:

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I obviously wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round draft pick but I still have a philosophy that for the right offer just about all players should be on the market and that includes Everitt.

We shouldn't dismiss trading him until we hear exactly whats on offer.

DOG GOD
18-09-2009, 05:53 PM
We would be idiotic to do that trade.

Swoop
18-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Reading the article originally it claims the trade would include a 2nd round pick and possibly a player. While this trade doesn't excite me, for conversations sake would there be anyone on their list worth looking at?

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Jarrad Waite?

1eyedog
18-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Seriously, Greg Denham is on drugs!

Remi Moses
19-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Ol' Denim and lace [what a hideously bad tune] waffled on about Lake for weeks and talking up Sydney's room in the salary cap and their making overtues. Only for paul Roos to say at the B&F that they're not chasing anyone:eek:

Desipura
19-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I obviously wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round draft pick but I still have a philosophy that for the right offer just about all players should be on the market and that includes Everitt.

We shouldn't dismiss trading him until we hear exactly whats on offer.
I would think if Everitt was to go to Carlton for a 2nd round + a player, it would be someone of the calibre of a Fisher, then there was O'Halpin that we showed some interest in last season.
I pray that neither of these players are considered by us.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Carlton Talking are mentioning a rumour of Everitt and our 3rd rounder for Austin and their 2nd rounder.

Without having seen too much of Austin, at first glance I would do that.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Anyone, but Carlton.

Personally I want to keep Everitt, our team needs to improve and Andrejs is a player who could help achieve this.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Carlton Talking are mentioning a rumour of Everitt and our 3rd rounder for Austin and their 2nd rounder.

Without having seen too much of Austin, at first glance I would do that.

2009 Comparison... (http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2009&PlayerName1=Andrejs+Everitt&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&Compare=Compare&SelectedPlayers=1799%2C)

I guess Austin or Edwards or a tall option would be the way we'd look. Can't say I'd be overly excited about either. Hopefully we retain Everitt.

Mofra
19-09-2009, 01:01 PM
The article says we've offered him up to them. Am I reading this right? So are we putting Everitt on the market? This is the dumbest thing ever. Our club has a lack of talls and then when we find some capable ones we try and trade them away?
Capable?

I disagree. Everitt isnt a mongrel enough to play a tough KPP role, doesn't really get enough of the ball to play off the flank or wing, is too short to be a regular mobile ruck and doesn't work hard enough as a forward. He's "just about there" in many aspects of his game and I'm not sure he's worth much more than pick 27.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Who knows it may just be a threat to get him to knuckle down a little more, I couldn't imagine that we will trade him unless we are happy with the deal.

for mine I'm open to the idea as I cant see him pushing aside anybody in our front or back 6 (besides injury) as for the wing Eagle maybe? but would we go with Stack, Reid ect first.

anfo27
19-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Been very disappointed with Everitt's development in the last 2 seasons. Having said that there is no way in the world i would trade him, let alone to Carlton who don't really have anythhing that we want.

If we keep skinny & he has a pretty good season next year, then trade him to GC for a mid to late 1st rounder. What would happen with our F/S selections? If we have to give up our 1st 2 picks for F/S & then get another 1st rounder does that affect the pick we recieve from GC?

The Coon Dog
19-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Been very disappointed with Everitt's development in the last 2 seasons. Having said that there is no way in the world i would trade him, let alone to Carlton who don't really have anythhing that we want.

If we keep skinny & he has a pretty good season next year, then trade him to GC for a mid to late 1st rounder. What would happen with our F/S selections? If we have to give up our 1st 2 picks for F/S & then get another 1st rounder does that affect the pick we recieve from GC?

F/S selections occur PRIOR to trade week.

If we secure Libba Jnr. & Wallis Jnr. with our 1st & 2nd round selections, then our first pick is the 3rd round, which we can trade if we want, but our first 2 are already used.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 09:07 PM

If we secure Libba Jnr. & Wallis Jnr. with our 1st & 2nd round selections, then our first pick is the 3rd round, which we can trade if we want, but our first 2 are already used.

And if we trade in a 1st rounder we would get to keep it.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Do you really think another club would select them that high in the draft? We would probably be able to still use our first rounder when the time comes and use 3rd round picks on Libba or Wallis. Or is that not possible?

Happy Days
20-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Do you really think another club would select them that high in the draft? We would probably be able to still use our first rounder when the time comes and use 3rd round picks on Libba or Wallis. Or is that not possible?

Not possible for Wallis, he's an out and out gun.

Liberatore may slip to our third pick if we're lucky.

chef
20-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Six clubs are after him(reportedly), so being contracted, if he is moved on it's going to take something special.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't be trading him to Carlton unless it involved Fevola

FrediKanoute
20-09-2009, 11:16 PM
If 6 clubs are chasing him then he must have some value. Yes he has been disappointing since his breakthrough season, but the club believed enough in him to hand him the number 3 jumper, which for mine suggests that they see him as part of the big picture.

His game against Collingwood was an indication of what he can do and what we should be expecting of him. It was also an indication that as a player he is more suited to a free running role. He has all of the skills and has the physique to be a top line footballer. In fact I believe the physique issue is a reason for his slowed development, in some senses a little like Goddard. His body shape has changed and he has struggled a little to adapt to this. He has all of the rest though and it would be short sighted to just give him away.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Be interesting to find out why the Club wants to trade him.

Swoop
21-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Prior to the 2009 season commencing Mitch Clark sat on Brisbane's list with a major question mark hovering above his head. He hadn't quite lived up to his potential and failed to fully his grasp his opportunities when they presented. He was recruited primarily as a forward however he sat behind both Brown & Bradshaw and doubts started to gather as to whether he would ever make the grade. As a defender he wasn't quite mobile enough and he wasn't really a genuine ruckman however injuries at the start of the season forced Voss' hand and he was thrown into the deep end.

What transpired this season was Mitch Clark who essentially had his career on the line turn into one of the premier ruckman of the competition and unluckily miss out on All Australian selection.

The reason I refer to Clark is because despite being different circumstances I see some similarities in where Everitt is at the moment and where Clark was 12 months ago. While I don't know where Everitts best position is and nor do I know whether he'll ever make the grade I do believe he has shown enough to keep persisting with.

On the positive side Everitt is contracted so as far as I'm concerned we hold the upper hand and if another side doesn't offer a good deal than we simply don't have to trade for the sake of trading. Having said that I fear the salary cap pressure and the need to find money for Mr Hall may be forcing our hand at this trade and if this is the case I do hope the club find a suitable exchange for him, the problem is I doubt we will get anything worth what he potentially could become.

I know it sounds harsh but it's in our best interests to keep him on the list, if he never makes it than it's no major loss however if he does come good as most big men do take time than we won't have lost out.