PDA

View Full Version : Minson injury may see Skipper return

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 03:31 AM
Jesse Hogan | September 18, 2009

A TOE injury to Will Minson could trigger Western Bulldogs back-up ruckman Wayde Skipper making a shock return to the team for its preliminary final tonight against St Kilda.

Skipper, whose only senior match in the past two seasons came in round 22 last year, has been named on the Bulldogs' emergency list for only the second time this season.

Both the Bulldogs and Saints are officially going into the match at the MCG with unchanged line-ups, however Minson's failure to train all week - combined with 26-year-old's Skipper's presence on the team sheet after a season exclusively playing in the VFL - have increased the likelihood of a late change. Minson injured his toe early in the match against the Brisbane Lions a week ago. Asked about the absence of the ruckman-forward from training on Tuesday, Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said he was just suffering from bruising.

Article in full... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/minson-injury-may-see-skipper-return/2009/09/17/1252780406420.html)

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 06:39 AM
We probably should have played Skipper when Hudson was rested. It makes it harder for him to come in and do a good job when he hasn't played a senior game all season.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 07:04 AM
We probably should have played Skipper when Hudson was rested. It makes it harder for him to come in and do a good job when he hasn't played a senior game all season.

We couldn't play Skipper against Collingwood!

He wasn't named as an emergency & it was Ward & Cross who were in a bit of doubt which is why Everitt was held back from Williamstown.

On the Saturday night Hudson's back tightened up. He wasn't 'rested' as such, just not risked.

Everitt was played against Collingwood because of that.

GVGjr
18-09-2009, 07:16 AM
We couldn't play Skipper against Collingwood!

He wasn't named as an emergency & it was Ward & Cross who were in a bit of doubt which is why Everitt was held back from Williamstown.

On the Saturday night Hudson's back tightened up. He wasn't 'rested' as such, just not risked.

Everitt was played against Collingwood because of that.

I fully understand that. It's just around the fact that it was a missed opportunity to see how he could perform in the seniors before a Preliminary Final. I'd rather see Skipper coming into the side with at least one senior game under his belt this season.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I fully understand that. It's just around the fact that it was a missed opportunity to see how he could perform in the seniors before a Preliminary Final.

All good & well with the benefit of hindsight.

comrade
18-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Jarrad Grant winning a marathon is more likely than Skipper playing tonight.

Desipura
18-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Jarrad Grant winning a marathon is more likely than Skipper playing tonight.

Big call Comrade........Skipper has been named emergency for only the second time this year.

Mantis
18-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I would be more than happy to saw Minson's toe off if it is causing him some concern... Might need to sedate him before hand cause he might give me a thumping during the process.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Im already nervous enough....I NEED WILL TO PLAY HAHAAH........

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I fully understand that. It's just around the fact that it was a missed opportunity to see how he could perform in the seniors before a Preliminary Final. I'd rather see Skipper coming into the side with at least one senior game under his belt this season.

What's the financial penalty for playing a player not named in the official team list? I know it can be done, just costs a bit.

Having said that, Andrejs did brilliantly when he had to come in for Huddo, in Round 22. I'm surprised he (Everitt) is not even an emergency.

Mantis
18-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Having said that, Andrejs did brilliantly when he had to come in for Huddo, in Round 22. I'm surprised he (Everitt) is not even an emergency.

I think he would struggle in the ruck against 2 ruckman who play with a physical style.

strebla
18-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I think he would struggle in the ruck against 2 ruckman who play with a physical style.

Right on the money Mantis the Saints rucks are a far bigger bodied pair than the Pies put on the ground Skinny would be mauled by King and Gardener:rolleyes:

Happy Days
18-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Any chance Tommy could play as the second ruck?

Skipper doesn't have much height on him (if any), athletically Tommy is probably just ahead, but I think the option of having Tommy as a backman when he's not rucking could pay dividends.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Skipper doesn't have much height on him (if any), athletically Tommy is probably just ahead, but I think the option of having Tommy as a backman when he's not rucking could pay dividends.

I like it.

hujsh
18-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Could be a great way to get him more involved in the games and gain some confidence.

Desipura
19-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Will is the type of player who cannot play with an injury, looked like he was running on the spot at times last night.