Scraggers
18-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Ahhh Poo :mad:

Geez that sux

It is so hard not to swear right now :eek:

Bring on 2010 ... bloody quickly

Dry Rot
18-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Shattered. **** 2010. And everything else tonight.

LostDoggy
18-09-2009, 11:42 PM
It hurts SO BADLY.

optimistic doggie
18-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I have just joined WOOF... long term guest....I have never cried over a football game before... tonight is a first....I cannot find the words to express how upset, frustrated and despondent I am right now....I know we can take heart with areas of our performance, I am so proud of so many things our boys do....but I can't believe our luck... our seemingly unending small misfortunes... bad bounces... bad umpire decisions... line ball calls...kicks at goal that seem to sway left or right just at the end.... Please please please...someone tell me that this never ending heartbreak of "so close" prelims does have a end date???? please....????

Templeton31
18-09-2009, 11:54 PM
On train home. Disappointed. Understatement.

Templeton31
19-09-2009, 12:13 AM
My sister just smsed. She doesn't know much about footy but she nailed it: "looked they tried really hard just had noone to kick goals".

Go Dogs. I still believe.

Dry Rot
19-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I just don't know what to say, except that now I know what what 1997 must have felt like.

I honestly didn't think we had a chance, watched a live net feed and was utterly pumped after that great start.

But now I'm physically and psychologically lost - I just feel really strange as if I've died but I'm still slowly moving through the world of the living but don't belong there.

God knows how the poor players feel - I really hope we are above attacking anyone tonight.

They all played their guys out.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Tears! Lots of them :( very upset. Thank god Seb fell asleep before the end

Templeton31
19-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Still on train. Middle aged woman in front of me was balling and same the 12 yo guy behind.

For mine thus was diff to 97 - we didn't choke or chuck it away.

bulldog
19-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Gutted words cant express how low i feel bloody proud of the boys god i hate those effing umpires

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Still on train. Middle aged woman in front of me was balling and same the 12 yo guy behind.

For mine thus was diff to 97 - we didn't choke or chuck it away.

This time we had a couple stupid pricks of umpires fark us over at crucial times

We got tired in the final quarter and just bombed into our forward 50

We had our chances the entire match

We need to come back next season, bigger, stronger, faster, angrier and harder than ever before

The Barry Hall experiment is something to look forward to

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Yep, bring on Bazza.

I'm still so, so proud of the boys. Griff and Gilbs...must be heart breaking year for them particularly.

Next year, we WILL be the number one team in the league.

Topdog
19-09-2009, 12:32 AM
But now I'm physically and psychologically lost - I just feel really strange as if I've died but I'm still slowly moving through the world of the living but don't belong there.

God knows how the poor players feel - I really hope we are above attacking anyone tonight.

Agree with all of the above. Just so gutted, walking home I came very close to throwing up.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 12:32 AM
This time we had a couple stupid pricks of umpires fark us over at crucial times

We got tired in the final quarter and just bombed into our forward 50

We had our chances the entire match

We need to come back next season, bigger, stronger, faster, angrier and harder than ever before

The Barry Hall experiment is something to look forward to

You know when they start bombig it into the 50 things are turning to shit.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm heartbroken and gutted but immensely proud of the way we played. We dispelled a few myths tonight about the character of this team.

cambo
19-09-2009, 12:35 AM
so so proud what an effort, when are the football gods gonna be on our side??? absouletly devastated

1eyedog
19-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Easy to bag the umpires when looking for an escape route for such disappointment but really they did not ref the game any different from any other match I've seen this year. Saints def on the side of the questionable decisions but I thought they let it go in the last quarter.

While some mistakes were made at crucial times every single player played their guts out tonight, alas, it just wasn't meant to be. Well done to the Saints, they were fortunate and I hate them, but not as much as I hate whoever they will be playing nest week. Well done again Doggies 2009, you really gave it everything and it could have gone either way.

angelopetraglia
19-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Unbelievable effort.

When we got behind in that 3rd Q by two goals it looked like they were going to blow the game apart.
Massive ticker to fight back and take the lead.

Just did not take our chances.

We controlled the game for the fist half of the last quarter. We were four points up and just needed another goal to reward our domination. Gilbee had that chance. You would back him in every single time, but he missed.

Gia missed by the smallest of margins but in hindsight, should have found Aker who was loose.

How?

Gutted. Gutted. Gutted.

Was there in 85.

Was there in 92.

Was there in 97.

Was there in 98.

Was there in 08.

Was there in 09.

Proud to be Dogs member tonight, but gutted.

Gutted.

Gutted.

1.4 to 2.0 in the last quarter.

57 to 40 inside 50s.

We should have won. We didn't win.

:(

:mad:

mjp
19-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I am not interested in 2010.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I love this club and the boys they put it all on the line tonight. In saying that I'm completely numb, heartbreaking.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I am not interested in 2010.

Feel the same way, but I know that hunger will role back round again sooner then later.

Max469
19-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Back luck. Like everyone I am disappointed, but tears haven't come as yet and probably wont this time.

Still proud and love them.

We had our chances. Especially in the 1st quarter and the misses we had in the last.

The same thing we have been saying all year - missing goal and leaving the square empty came back to bite us.

That being said:

St Kilda will do even better next week if they take the same scumpires into the shame final.

I am the first to admit we could have done it - but by God - we were crucified at times and when it mattered the most.

Sometimes it is not what you are not paid but where and when it is paid.

Any way 2010 is a new year and we can start again. Have a mini clean out and try our best to go one step further next year.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I have just joined WOOF... long term guest....I have never cried over a football game before... tonight is a first....I cannot find the words to express how upset, frustrated and despondent I am right now....I know we can take heart with areas of our performance, I am so proud of so many things our boys do....but I can't believe our luck... our seemingly unending small misfortunes... bad bounces... bad umpire decisions... line ball calls...kicks at goal that seem to sway left or right just at the end.... Please please please...someone tell me that this never ending heartbreak of "so close" prelims does have a end date???? please....????

I just don't know what to say, except that now I know what what 1997 must have felt like.

I honestly didn't think we had a chance, watched a live net feed and was utterly pumped after that great start.

Yep, bring on Bazza.

I'm still so, so proud of the boys. Griff and Gilbs...must be heart breaking year for them particularly.

Next year, we WILL be the number one team in the league.

Devasted.

We beat them in nearly every facet of the game. One of the toughest games of footy I have EVER seen in the last qtr.

Sorry Johno, you did all you could. Mitch and Jarrod too.

Griff, Coons and Gia, I love you guys and saw you crying fter the game and i know why, because you had your chances to make history.

The umps were sh!t but we were better than them.

Now, bye Eagle and Welsh, keep hold of Lake first, then Aker. Johno will play again. Next year, what might have been again but I believe it.

I hope saints win the flag this year because the next 2 are ours, many players to fill the 2 spots.

Barry Hall to shepherd Roughy, Cordy and Grant towards successive premierships.

So hard to get there, so hard to win a flag.

So hard to come so close.

My dream of Johno holding the cup is not over yet.

I love the western bulldogs.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 12:54 AM
I mustn't have a heart. I didn't cry at all. Wasn't even that upset. I went into the game expecting the Saints to win. Realistically, they were always going to. I was hoping for a great effort from the boys and we got it. I was furious at that Riewoldt gift though. Changed the game completely.

I think I'm too young to appreciate how rare GF chances are. Walking out of the 'G all of the adults were crying and the kids were smiling. Maybe I'm taking it for granted, I dunno.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I mustn't have a heart. I didn't cry at all. Wasn't even that upset. I went into the game expecting the Saints to win. Realistically, they were always going to. I was hoping for a great effort from the boys and we got it. I was furious at that Riewoldt gift though. Changed the game completely.

I think I'm too young to appreciate how rare GF chances are. Walking out of the 'G all of the adults were crying and the kids were smiling. Maybe I'm taking it for granted, I dunno.

Yes, you are.

I'm sick of the same old crap. Why are we so cursed in preliminary finals?

I feel sick.

I can't believe it happened again.

F### this.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Yes, you are.

I'm sick of the same old crap. Why are we so cursed in preliminary finals?

I feel sick.

I can't believe it happened again.

F### this.

Feel like throwing up.

mjp
19-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Maybe I'm taking it for granted, I dunno.

Yep - you are.

This side will NEVER be together again. And we will never have another chance to play in the 2009 grand final. Opportunity is based on a time and a place - we can't turn up tomorrow and hope for another chance. It is gone - the season is over and it will be a changing of the guard.

55 years just became 56 at best - and we have now lost six...count them, six - preliminary finals in my lifetime. After 98 I thought we would be back again in 99 - footy doesn't work that way. You take your chance or you go to the back of the line...we now have to start again and the players have to go through 6 months of torture (pre-season) + 25 weeks of good form and good fortune just to get to where we were at 7:30pm tonight...it doesn't just happen.

I know the players are feeling it more than me, but if you think it is easy to turn the page over to chapter 2010 then I have another point of view.

1eyedog
19-09-2009, 01:05 AM

When you have been a Bulldogs supporter for 37 years it hurts. My Uncles have been Bulldogs supporters for nearly 60 years. They are not smiling. If you are young that's great, enjoy, we are playing good football at present but it won't last, so enjoy it while you can, you will feel the same pain if the Bulldogs do not win a flag for the next 30 years of your life.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm heartbroken and gutted but immensely proud of the way we played. We dispelled a few myths tonight about the character of this team.

Damn Straight. I own up to being one amongst us who thought that there was a sizeable gap between our best and the Saints. Oh how wrong I was.
Tonights effort has made me feel mightily ashamed of myself. They gave their all and but for some luck (or lack thereof) showed that this group is good enough not just to challenge but to win against the very best.

frank863
19-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Im absolutely gutted, but really proud of the team tonight. They really left nothing in the tank and played their hearts out.

I will say that i am really looking forward to 2010, but reality is that i am just so shattered by how that ended tonight and need a bit of time before i start looking forward to the next season.

Our time will be very soon....

mighty_west
19-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Pretty guttered by the result, but extremely proud by the performance, was no where NEAR the feeling of the '97 choke, and we did choke that day!

Tonight, we threw everything at it, just so close.....................so close.

Dry Rot
19-09-2009, 01:23 AM
I mustn't have a heart. I didn't cry at all. Wasn't even that upset. I went into the game expecting the Saints to win. .

I get bagged on here and other forums for being a realist or pessimist, depending on your POV. Moreover, I live in Sydney, rarely see the Dogs play (once a year) and simply can't have the emotional connection you Melbourne folk have.

But I refused a couple of dinner invites tonight and found a live net feed of the coverage, cooked a good steak and opened a fine bottle of red and settled in to watch what I thought would be a slow motion train crash and a huge Saints win.

But what a first quarter! I live in a block of flats and that's when I got the first noise complaint about shouting at my iMac. ****, we could win this!

I was riveted - I knew what this game was like because we were kind of playing the Swans. Every possie mattered, every bad ump call mattered.

Yes, I'm a footy fan like everyone else but I got to the point where I kind of lost it and was trying to will them home with some sort of psychic bullshit powers, shouting all the time and warding off the odd noise complaint.

Full time and now I'm lost and shattered and fell like like I'm trapped in some sort of bad dream.

And you're not upset?

That's a bloody insult to the efforts of all 22 players in the red, white and blue tonight.

And yourself, as a Dogs fan.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Pretty guttered by the result, but extremely proud by the performance, was no where NEAR the feeling of the '97 choke, and we did choke that day!

Tonight, we threw everything at it, just so close.....................so close.

Totally agree, all we needed was one goal in the last quarter in 97 and we couldn't even manage it (even though to this day I am sure that libba's kick was a goal when he was held aloft by jose and monty, I think). After tonight I was proud of the boys and now I am just in a state of bewilderment about being so near yet so far.
It has taken us 12 years to get so close so these opportunities are very precious and unfortunately we have let another one slip through our grasp.

mighty_west
19-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Totally agree, all we needed was one goal in the last quarter in 97 and we couldn't even manage it (even though to this day I am sure that libba's kick was a goal when he was held aloft by jose and monty, I think). After tonight I was proud of the boys and now I am just in a state of bewilderment about being so near yet so far.
It has taken us 12 years to get so close so these opportunities are very precious and unfortunately we have let another one slip through our grasp.

I just had that feeling of, we dominated the first quarter, but had 2 goals on the board, the Rewoldt free, things were just not going to end well, and........................heartbreak AGAIN!

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:33 AM
So frustrating everyone here has summed it up

Close but no cigar.

A friend told me "It's like being the bridesmaid with the doggies...u never get to be the bride"

Lame but it makes sense.

I'll take any sense right now...sitting there after the game ready to break down into tears..I didn't but no-one could of blamed me if I had..

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:41 AM
I get bagged on here and other forums for being a realist or pessimist, depending on your POV. Moreover, I live in Sydney, rarely see the Dogs play (once a year) and simply can't have the emotional connection you Melbourne folk have.

But I refused a couple of dinner invites tonight and found a live net feed of the coverage, cooked a good steak and opened a fine bottle of red and settled in to watch what I thought would be a slow motion train crash and a huge Saints win.

But what a first quarter! I live in a block of flats and that's when I got the first noise complaint about shouting at my iMac. ****, we could win this!

I was riveted - I knew what this game was like because we were kind of playing the Swans. Every possie mattered, every bad ump call mattered.

Yes, I'm a footy fan like everyone else but I got to the point where I kind of lost it and was trying to will them home with some sort of psychic bullshit powers, shouting all the time and warding off the odd noise complaint.

Full time and now I'm lost and shattered and fell like like I'm trapped in some sort of bad dream.

And you're not upset?

That's a bloody insult to the efforts of all 22 players in the red, white and blue tonight.

And yourself, as a Dogs fan.

Fair enough. We all deal with losses differently. Not crying or anything doesn't mean I don't care. Yeah, the loss tonight sucks. This week would've been one of the best weeks of my life had we had won.

End of the day we lost. Doesn't matter how much you blame the umpires, or rue missed chances, we still lost. Nothing you do is going to change that. Replaying the game in my head changing things isn't going to get us into the Grand Final this week. It's just going to make me feel like shit for a week, so why bother? That's my attitude towards the loss. If you have a different attitude towards dealing with the loss, fine by me.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:54 AM
I just had that feeling of, we dominated the first quarter, but had 2 goals on the board, the Rewoldt free, things were just not going to end well, and........................heartbreak AGAIN!

Very true not enough reward for effort and I had the same feeling. The only upside was holding the Saints goaless. My Dad was 6 years old when the Doggies won the one and only, he converted me from a Cat to a Doggy when I was 9 and I wouldn't change from the Doggies for quids but I don't want to have to wait that long just to get close. My passion runs deep for the Red, White and Blue, I wear my heart on my sleeve if you will and I wouldn't have it any other way.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 02:00 AM
I might get lynched, but as disappointing as this all is, I went into the game thinking we didn't stand a chance... and we gave them everything they could take. I've thought for months the Saints were miles ahead of everyone (us included). With better use of the pill, we may well have pinched this. Shattered,as is everyone here, but proud we got so close (and pissed off at the same time.)

jazzadogs
19-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I was at the 97/98 Prelims, but was too young to remember them.

I took my little brother to the game tonight, and said to him "whatever happens, don't forget this night. Remember the way they're playing, and the courage they're showing.". I was just hoping he'd be remembering joy, not sorrow. As for my Saints supporting brother who laughed at me after the game...well. I think it might be a few days before I say anything to him.

This is sooooo soooo soooo much worse than last year. Gawd it sucks.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Shattered!!! Yet proud and optimistic, if we bring that mindset next year to the home and away season, and have a KP foward (enter Barry hall) Watch out competition!!!!

Cracking game, such an arm wrestle, chewed my finger nails until they bled.

The Pie Man
19-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I was at the 97/98 Prelims, but was too young to remember them.

I took my little brother to the game tonight, and said to him "whatever happens, don't forget this night. Remember the way they're playing, and the courage they're showing.". I was just hoping he'd be remembering joy, not sorrow. As for my Saints supporting brother who laughed at me after the game...well. I think it might be a few days before I say anything to him.

This is sooooo soooo soooo much worse than last year. Gawd it sucks.

Took my wife last night and we were outside at half time, and I was saying you want to remember even these moments as a fan, becasue half time in prelim final (and being in front) doesn't happen very often.....well hasn't happened for us for 12 years, and 12 years before that.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought after a sleep(well what sleep i did get last night) and a nice hot shower id feel better, but i feel worse, and my eyes are stil burning......I hate footy when it makes me feel like this.
Still love them tho, and nothing will change that...

Scraggers
19-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I just feel flat ... last night gutted, today flat

Desipura
20-09-2009, 08:48 AM
This feeling will not go away fast, not at least until we win one. I feel flat again and cant bring myself to watch the news when they show the Saints players and supporters celebrating at the final siren of our game, as well as watching the emotions of our players and supporters.
This is my religion afterall, I will not be going to church for another 6 months. I will have to be content with reading about my religion on here.
Gee its a cruel game...............

DOG GOD
20-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I wanted to wait a few days to see how my emotions were holding up, but boy life can be tough sometimes when u follow football. I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here. Full of emotions in one way or another. One minute i think i wish we had lost by 100 points, coz when u get "so close" it makes u wonder what "couldve been this coming saturday".

Yes i'm feeling flat. A little lost, and the fact i don;t want anyone of my friends to mention the game might say something. I dont wanna hear that "oh theres always next year crap". The best cop-out line EVER that one. I just want to feel the joy and the euphoria of something so special it makes u feel so ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really pray for that day to come.

I'm sure EVERYONE is gutted. Players, fans, EVERYONE!!

I still feel sick, and probably will til round 1 next year.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 11:25 AM
so so proud what an effort, when are the football gods gonna be on our side??? absouletly devastated

Given up on the footy gods bad religion. Skill wins us the flag 2010

Keepa Movin' Griff
20-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Devastating loss, immensely proud of the boy's and so happy they put on a great show, but just gutted. As if i wasn't upset enough, on my walk home from the pub i was confronted and duely bashed up by a group of 7 gutless kids. Sufficed to say my nose, both eyes and lip are all contrastng shades of Red, White & Blue!

We were really smashed by the Umps but we still had our chances, Gia would have kicked that goal 9 out of 10, and that would've been game. Really hate reading on the other blogs all the Saints supporters who blatantly refuse to acknowledge that the Bulldogs played a much stronger game of footy on Friday night, to lead scoring shots, contested ball, inside fifties, by the margins we did and not to come away with a win is criminal.

Looking forward to next year and although we should go well, as already mentioned karma simply doesn't exist, we are not owed anything by the football gods, and it could well be another decade, two, three before we get an opportunity like this again. Just to be part of GF week would've have been one of the best things to happen in my life, my whole extended family were planning flights, tickets, tattoo's, we all love the doggies so much, and are left with a week of seeing the BS Sainters all week on the news.

Will be cheering home the Cats.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Devastating loss, immensely proud of the boy's and so happy they put on a great show, but just gutted. As if i wasn't upset enough, on my walk home from the pub i was confronted and duely bashed up by a group of 7 gutless kids. Sufficed to say my nose, both eyes and lip are all contrastng shades of Red, White & Blue!

We were really smashed by the Umps but we still had our chances, Gia would have kicked that goal 9 out of 10, and that would've been game. Really hate reading on the other blogs all the Saints supporters who blatantly refuse to acknowledge that the Bulldogs played a much stronger game of footy on Friday night, to lead scoring shots, contested ball, inside fifties, by the margins we did and not to come away with a win is criminal.

Looking forward to next year and although we should go well, as already mentioned karma simply doesn't exist, we are not owed anything by the football gods, and it could well be another decade, two, three before we get an opportunity like this again. Just to be part of GF week would've have been one of the best things to happen in my life, my whole extended family were planning flights, tickets, tattoo's, we all love the doggies so much, and are left with a week of seeing the BS Sainters all week on the news.

Will be cheering home the Cats.
I hope you are alright KMG.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I hope you are alright KMG.

Me also KMG that sort of stuff is just pointless and gutless of the highest order. Everyone gets there own and I'm sure the mongrel 7's day will come. Keep ya chin up.