PDA

View Full Version : Did we elevate the wrong rookie?

Dry Rot
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Taking nothing away from Harbrow, we now have Murphy, Grant and McDougall injured or out of form, and Darcy and Minson struggling.

Meanwhile Pask seems to be doing well at the Bees.

Should we have elevated Pask instead and given him a crack?

Go_Dogs
06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't think so. Harbrow had a good game on the weekend, and I'd say that Harbrow, Faulkner, Hahn and perhaps Street - along with Robbins who also did well in the B's would all be ahead of Pask atm.

The extent of Murphy's injury will be interesting, and could perhaps allow Hahn or Harbrow back into the team - or perhaps even Robbins. I think we made the right decision with Harbrow.

Dry Rot
06-05-2007, 06:27 PM
But we're now desperately short of talls and breaking down around half forward. Maybe Pask might be better for a stand in the goalsquare role and let Darcy roam around a bit more as atall utlility to get into form?

Go_Dogs
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Not really. McDougall probably wouldn't be playing regardless, Grant would be offering something, however Murphy - although he was starting to run back into some good form, is replaceable for a couple of rounds.

Down back Harris and Wight are continuing to do well. Darcy struggled a bit against the Eagles, but that's part of his journey, he will be a bit up and down over the next 4-8 weeks.

I just don't know what else Pask would offer us. Harris and Wight are doing the job down back with Hargrave and Morris, with Williams surely the next option. We don't play overly tall in the forward line, and a reasonably static and slow target like Pask probably wouldn't offer us much. If anything he'd probably be another body choking our forward line space.

Sadly Darcy is probably passed his days of being able to follow the ball around all day, and be useful in a roving, and around the field role too much. I don't think height is too much of a problem at the moment.

Street could be close this week too.

Bulldog Revolution
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I certainly see enough in pask to keep persisting with. He obviously reported in good shape and looks a good physical specimen (both muscly and lean) and everything I have seen of him in the VFL has been good. He has played both forward and back and been good at both.

I think he's been a great addition to the VFL team and I like what I see of his professionalism. A lot of others are keen to write him off but I would never right off a guy who genuinely seems determined to make it. Let us remember how many times guys like Matt Boyd, Dale Morris etc would have been told they wouldn't make it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a chance this year at some stage

LostDoggy
06-05-2007, 11:07 PM
No. Don't think Pask will give us much in the seniors.
Harbrow is a lot better.

LostDoggy
06-05-2007, 11:08 PM
But we're now desperately short of talls and breaking down around half forward. Maybe Pask might be better for a stand in the goalsquare role and let Darcy roam around a bit more as atall utlility to get into form?

We have plenty of talls its just that are young or aren't good enough. Pask is no different.

southerncross
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
We have plenty of talls its just that are young or aren't good enough. Pask is no different.

I tend to agree. An average tall is no better for the team than a good Addison type. It's tempting to say that at 191cm Pask meets our need for another all but I haven't seen enough quality within his game to suggest that he provides us with viable long term option.

I'd rather see us stick with McDougall, even try him as a defender, than to promote Pask at the moment. Pask is playing well but Harbrow is doing a lot better.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Pask is playing well but Harbrow is doing a lot better.

As is Faulkner.

Dry Rot
07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
No-one else thinks we have some structural problems which are being found out by other teams? Small forward lines don't work too well when the team is deprived of run with midfield floods.

Pask sounds like he would be be no worse than Morgan, who went all right.

Is giving Darcy the best defender week in week out the best way to ease him back?

bornadog
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
No-one else thinks we have some structural problems which are being found out by other teams? Small forward lines don't work too well when the team is deprived of run with midfield floods.

Is giving Darcy the best defender week in week out the best way to ease him back?

We should be persisting with McDougall at this stage. In any case, Pask is only 191 cm, hardly a tall.

Twodogs
07-05-2007, 09:58 AM

Morgan was pretty quick thinking and was great at bringing the ball down and then holding off an opponent-that's the difference between him and Pask. Pask isnt big enough to do that job and is still not match conditioned enough to play AFL yet. While no-one could question his desire his reactions are too slow ATM. Give him another month or so until he's ready.

No. Don't think Pask will give us much in the seniors.
Harbrow is a lot better.

Harbrow fits our game plan a lot better as well, and is a better long term prospect.

Bulldog Revolution
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Morgan was pretty quick thinking and was great at bringing the ball down and then holding off an opponent-that's the difference between him and Pask. Pask isnt big enough to do that job and is still not match conditioned enough to play AFL yet. While no-one could question his desire his reactions are too slow ATM. Give him another month or so until he's ready.

Harbrow fits our game plan a lot better as well, and is a better long term prospect.

They may play different roles, but I think Pask has shown more consistent and better form in the VFL than Morgan.

Harbrow has been in such good form and deserved rewarding, and the great thing is he has continued on after getting his taste of senior football. I think its great we reward him and show him he is part of the long term future of the club.

Twodogs
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
They may play different roles, but I think Pask has shown more consistent and better form in the VFL than Morgan.

No argument from me about their respective form but they are very different types of players. Pask doesnt have the height, strength or reactions to do the job that Morgan was doing early on last year. Morgan might have looked like all he did was bring the ball to ground but he was doing so much more than that.

southerncross
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM

Pask wouldn't change that at all.

Tall for talls sake isn't a sustainable solution.

Sockeye Salmon
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM

I don't agree with this at all. Morgan was a really good VFL player.

I watched him take 16 marks v Preston from CHF.

Cyberdoggie
08-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't agree with this at all. Morgan was a really good VFL player.

I watched him take 16 marks v Preston from CHF.

problem was he just couldn't string more than a couple of games together without getting injured.

pity.

Cyberdoggie
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
we were right to elevate harbrow.

already from the 1 game he has played he has shown that it won't be long before he's back there again.

A lot of players get a touch of the rabbit in the headlights syndrome and freeze up, or don't have the confidence to play at that level when they first come in, jarrod is different. He's a winner, he's been thrown so many challenges for someone who was selected as a rookie. Most people would of thought he'd be playing at 11:30am with the bee's 2's every week this year with west and tiller and co, but he just keeps grabbing every opportunity he gets and delivers.

I think the next afl game he gets he will turn it on. He's had one look at it now that's probably all he'll need. I'd love to see him and aaron davey on the same field.

mjp
08-05-2007, 01:21 PM
we were right to elevate harbrow.

He should not have been dropped though CD. I watched the Richmond game again last night - he really was a bit of a spark - and one that would have been very useful against West Coast last weekend.

I really hope he is an IN this week - we need runners after the travel and he is the best of what we have at Werribee at the moment...and ahead of quite a few who are playing seniors!

Bulldog Revolution
08-05-2007, 03:25 PM
problem was he just couldn't string more than a couple of games together without getting injured.

pity.

Thats probably what I should have said was the reason behind him never displaying the consistent high level form

Cyberdoggie
08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Thats probably what I should have said was the reason behind him never displaying the consistent high level form

i agree but after a knee reco as well, just bad luck.

Cyberdoggie
08-05-2007, 04:59 PM
He should not have been dropped though CD. I watched the Richmond game again last night - he really was a bit of a spark - and one that would have been very useful against West Coast last weekend.

I really hope he is an IN this week - we need runners after the travel and he is the best of what we have at Werribee at the moment...and ahead of quite a few who are playing seniors!

true,

i still can't fathom the logic of bringing 2 newbies in for the richmond game, knowing that they would get dropped the following week for players that were returning.

firstdogonthemoon
08-05-2007, 05:03 PM

for what it is worth - i agree

Twodogs
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
true,

i still can't fathom the logic of bringing 2 newbies in for the richmond game, knowing that they would get dropped the following week for players that were returning.

It was only Richmond, and they've got to debut at some stage?