PDA

View Full Version : Club Must make some tough Decisions on Players

bornadog
19-09-2009, 01:23 AM
The following must be delisted and some younger guys to come in:

Eagleton - Let us down big time in a final

Welsh - must retire

Aker - Has been very good, but body looks tired, can't see him coming up again for another season.

Wight and Skipper - we know about

O'Shea - maybe.

Guys like Reid and Wood to replace Eagleton and Aker. Boumann, Roughead and Grant to come in for Welsh, Skipper Wight.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm not convinced that Aker shouldn't be given another season but if you add Lynch to that list it's pretty much what I said a while back.
Another player might have worked his way onto that list as well.
We need to give Aker the chance to say if he's ready to do the hard yards again and that will take a couple of weeks.

It's probably one of the reasons why we should draft Patrick Rose as a rookie just in case Aker decides early in the new year that he's not up to it.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Welsh and Eagle to retire. MUST. Final nails tonight for mine.

Wight, Skipper and O'Shea delisted. Ocka traded or moved on. Aker to be looked at in terms of value for money next year.

Remi Moses
19-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Agree on the Eagle the game stepped up big time and the Eagle might be in trouble.Welsh is gone I'd think,need a forward urgently ane Welsh has become the loose man in defence

lemmon
19-09-2009, 01:39 AM
My take on it is
Welsh- Thanks for the service you were handy but times up
Eagle- Good career mate but guys waiting in the wings
White- Goneski
O'Shea- Unlucky with injuries but was always a skokey

Im not sold on delisting Skip, Hudson will be that one year older and aside from Roughead we have very little backup

lemmon
19-09-2009, 01:51 AM
What about Timmy Callan or Addison, it would be a tough call on either but I dont think we can carry both in the 22. Perhaps a trade could be on the table or a change of role for Addison and push more into the midfield?

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 01:55 AM
What about Timmy Callan or Addison, it would be a tough call on either but I dont think we can carry both in the 22. Perhaps a trade could be on the table or a change of role for Addison and push more into the midfield?

Assuming that clubs won't trade a lot of players for draft picks it would need to be player for player trades and both Callan and Addison wouldn't attract better players so I think both will stay.

I'm not sure that Addison has midfield type skills or pace.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Assuming that clubs won't trade a lot of players for draft picks it would need to be player for player trades and both Callan and Addison wouldn't attract better players so I think both will stay.

I would love for Addison to take a close look at a guy like Brett Kirk who's a master at positioning and scrapping the loss ball.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Welsh and Eagle to retire. MUST. Final nails tonight for mine.

Wight, Skipper and O'Shea delisted. Ocka traded or moved on. Aker to be looked at in terms of value for money next year.

Not sure about eagle. For mine he showed enough. It just wasn't the kind of game where a player could get free and run. Gee though would have loved him on the end of the shots that Gilb and Gia had.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Eagleton and Welsh gotta go!
Eagle plays one good game in every 5 or so, and it has kept him in the team for too long!!!!
Welsh thanks for 2 years but your not going to get us to the flag we all want so bad.
Wight & Skipper time to go...

Aker can go again if he can get through the pre-season.
Johno has to go again.
Tim Callan's hardness is something we require
Boumann need to get a game @ some stage so we can figure out if he can play.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 08:24 AM

He shapes as one of the player to watch during the pre-season games and he has a great chance of establishing himself as a viable option to play some senior football in 2010.
He slipped through under the radar this season for most Bulldog supporter (except for the ones that visit here) but I'm sure everyone will want to see if he can make the necessary step up in development over the summer.

Topdog
19-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Not sure about eagle. For mine he showed enough. It just wasn't the kind of game where a player could get free and run. Gee though would have loved him on the end of the shots that Gilb and Gia had.

Agree with the first bit.

I would have loved Gilbee on the end of the shot that Gilbee missed. Honestly he nails that 9/10.

Studentlib
19-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Decisions on delisting etc need to be made on basis of stepping up another 10% to realistically challenge for GF. We need to make some tough decisions on players who won't improve enough to take us to the next level either because of ability, age, speed, attitude and so on. Focus must be on future improvement capability. I respect all these players but based on this asessment for 12 months further on, our future improvement will come from consistently playing Boumann, Roughead, Wood, Stack, O'Keefe, Everitt, Reid, for the best part of the season and see what they show and what "attitude" they bring. All of them are/ will be strong enough in body and fast enough to mix it at seniors next year. Welsh and Eagle should retire, Aka gets to make the call. Gia will struggle to keep his place. Callan is a fall back option. Cross can be a liability with his kicking and legspeed, but his ability to win the ball means he stays for now but might be under pressure soon. If we get Hall then Hahn will find it hard to get a spot as well.
Wight has no future with the club obviously and Skipper (193cm) is only of value as a well paid, ruck training partner for the young kids.
We also have to make a definite medical call on Tommy W. Can we afford to have him play intermittently? Will he ever get his body together and will he do the job as a KPP? Minnow stays as a backup for an ageing Huddo. That leaves Josh Hill and Dylan Addison. Keep them on as young players capable of improvement. Stephen Tiller at 23 its make or break time.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Decisions on delisting etc need to be made on basis of stepping up another 10% to realistically challenge for GF. We need to make some tough decisions on players who won't improve enough to take us to the next level either because of ability, age, speed, attitude and so on. Focus must be on future improvement capability. I respect all these players but based on this asessment for 12 months further on, our future improvement will come from consistently playing Boumann, Roughead, Wood, Stack, O'Keefe, Everitt, Reid, for the best part of the season and see what they show and what "attitude" they bring. All of them are/ will be strong enough in body and fast enough to mix it at seniors next year. Welsh and Eagle should retire, Aka gets to make the call. Gia will struggle to keep his place. Callan is a fall back option. Cross can be a liability with his kicking and legspeed, but his ability to win the ball means he stays for now but might be under pressure soon. If we get Hall then Hahn will find it hard to get a spot as well.
Wight has no future with the club obviously and Skipper (193cm) is only of value as a well paid, ruck training partner for the young kids.
We also have to make a definite medical call on Tommy W. Can we afford to have him play intermittently? Will he ever get his body together and will he do the job as a KPP? Minnow stays as a backup for an ageing Huddo. That leaves Josh Hill and Dylan Addison. Keep them on as young players capable of improvement. Stephen Tiller at 23 its make or break time.

Studentlib will struggle to have any credibility

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Welsh to retire, Eagle - I think it is probably his time. Johno and Aker to decide, although I think we should have not played Aker in every game this year, as he looked tired in the last part of the year.
Skipper and Wight to go.

Blood and play some more young ones next year, including hopefully Roughead - who I saw take a lovely pack mark a few weeks ago.

I am not keen on delisting any of the younger players, as the draft is meant to be very thin this year - and I would rather hang on to a player that we have already invested some time and education in, than a inexperienced roughy.

SonofScray
19-09-2009, 01:14 PM
He shapes as one of the player to watch during the pre-season games and he has a great chance of establishing himself as a viable option to play some senior football in 2010.
He slipped through under the radar this season for most Bulldog supporter (except for the ones that visit here) but I'm sure everyone will want to see if he can make the necessary step up in development over the summer.

One of the more exciting prospects to watch this summer. Really hope tyhe guy keeps taking steps forward, there is a spot for him I think.

Can he cut it up forward with the better delivery in a AFL side? I know he has grown heaps as a defender but I was under the impression this was to help him learn about the defensive efforts and dour aspects of the game to assist his development as a forward. Would love to see him get games next year.

Studentlib
19-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I love gia and his hardness, but he's slowed down,his goal kicking lacks distance and accuracy and we absolutely need forwards who can penetrate the goals more regularly. I know he sets up many goals. Can he improve in those areas? I don't want him moved on, just think he might find it harder to hold a regular place when injuries keep him from being 100%, more each year.
I guess I'm coming around to thinking we may have seen his best and maybe he has just passed his prime.
I hope in 2010, he does shred what littel credibility I possess and would love to see him displaying his A game again.

OLD SCRAGGer
19-09-2009, 01:36 PM
While I agree with some of what everybody is saying, I personally think we should all take a deep breath and wait a few weeks before deciding on anyones future. It's been less than 12 hours and we're all still in pain, so lets hang on for a week or so shall we?

Has anyone heard the story that Everitt has told the club to "GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY"? apparently he was angry to be dropped after Collingwood game. I know he's only just resigned, but rumours are abound that Carlton are after him big time!! What are your thoughts?:confused: Have also just heard that Scotty Welsh has announced his retirement! Thanked the club for giving him 2 good years.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Have also just heard that Scotty Welsh has announced his retirement! Thanked the club for giving him 2 good years.

Where did you hear that?

bornadog
19-09-2009, 01:41 PM

I was disappointed with Tim Callan last night, every time he had the ball, I didn't feel it was in safe hands. His turnover, i think in the last quarter (or second) that went straight to a Saints player and they kicked the goal, was disgraceful. I think he is too slow, and his disposal is not good enough for AFL.

Having said that, I don't know if Addison is up to it either, however, he does have youth on his side. Wood can easily slot into their role.

OLD SCRAGGer
19-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Brother heard it from aguy who plays golf with Brad Johnsons father

Mofra
19-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I think we can't just say "player X" has to go until we look at who is likely to replace them in terms of their role in the side.

Welsh must know his time is limited, with Bazza a likely in it makes sense, even if Welsh has given us great service for what he cost.

Eagle is an interesting one - he's always been marked more harshly than most, but I'd have two qeustions to determine his future, and neither of them involve him strangely.
1. Can Wood develop a super-engine to become the gutrunning type Eagle is? If so I'd have Wood in, I really like the kid.
2. Is Hill going to be a forward or wingman? VO2 Max tests showing he has super lung capacity makes me want to see him as a wingman who burns his opponents into the ground.

Aker - his finishing is still sublime, I'd really like to keep him even though I'd say Higgins is developing his level of class.

Johnno - will go around again for sure.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Brother heard it from aguy who plays golf with Brad Johnsons father

I will wait for official announcement.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Has anyone heard the story that Everitt has told the club to "GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY"? apparently he was angry to be dropped after Collingwood game. I know he's only just resigned, but rumours are abound that Carlton are after him big time!! What are your thoughts?:confused: Have also just heard that Scotty Welsh has announced his retirement! Thanked the club for giving him 2 good years.

If the part about Everitt is true he can go and get f?*$d, what a joke if he wants to leave because he had a pathetic season and thought one good game was enough to get him into a finals side. Anyone else heard more about this.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 02:11 PM
If the part about Everitt is true he can go and get f?*$d, what a joke if he wants to leave because he had a pathetic season and thought one good game was enough to get him into a finals side. Anyone else heard more about this.

Would take it with a grain of salt, to be honest.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Would take it with a grain of salt, to be honest.

The worrying thing are the whispers and where theirs smoke, theirs often fire.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 02:17 PM
The worrying thing are the whispers and where theirs smoke, theirs often fire.

I honestly don't think he will go anywhere, and i don't believe the rumors that are floating around.

Just my opinion of course.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I honestly don't think he will go anywhere, and i don't believe the rumors that are floating around.

Just my opinion of course.

Is this official enough for you?

CONTRACTED Bulldog Andrejs Everitt is the latest name to be thrown up in trade talks, while Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams has all but conceded star midfielder Shaun Burgoyne is lost to the club.

The Australian reports that Carlton is optimistic it can snare Everitt, a first round pick at the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, during October's trade week.

It has been reported that the Blues would offer a draft pick and possibly a player in exchange for the versatile 20-year-old.

Source:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84961/default.aspx

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 02:50 PM

CONTRACTED Bulldog Andrejs Everitt is the latest name to be thrown up in trade talks, while Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams has all but conceded star midfielder Shaun Burgoyne is lost to the club.

The Australian reports that Carlton is optimistic it can snare Everitt, a first round pick at the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, during October's trade week.

It has been reported that the Blues would offer a draft pick and possibly a player in exchange for the versatile 20-year-old.

Source:
To assist in the cap, if they offered pick 27 and Cloke or Fisher and agreed to pay their salary for us next year, allowing us room to pay for Hall and perhaps someone else depending on retirements would you take it?

mjp
19-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Young player gets upset and swears when not selected...

Wait - stop the presses!

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Source:

Where is the direct quote from a Bulldog representative?

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Where is the direct quote from a Bulldog representative?

There doesn't need to be

"I honestly don't think he will go anywhere, and i don't believe the rumors that are floating around. Just my opinion of course.

Thats what you said so its not a rumor as much..and I also don't want him to go anywhere. But the rumor is not a rumor, its an offer Carlton have put out there.

craigsahibee
19-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Eagleton and Welsh gotta go!
Eagle plays one good game in every 5 or so, and it has kept him in the team for too long!!!!
Welsh thanks for 2 years but your not going to get us to the flag we all want so bad.
Wight & Skipper time to go...

Aker can go again if he can get through the pre-season.
Johno has to go again.
Tim Callan's hardness is something we require

What's the point of being hard if you're just going to turn the ball over every time you're pressured. If the rumours regarding Everitt to Carlton are true, I can understand it if Andrejs wants to go if Callan gets picked before him.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 03:52 PM
There doesn't need to be

Of course there needs to be.

Thats what you said so its not a rumor as much..and I also don't want him to go anywhere. But the rumor is not a rumor, its an offer Carlton have put out there.

This is exactly like the Lake situation, so many different things getting floated around. Yeah Carlton have put out an offer for him, which they are entitled to do.

But i would like to see where the club has said, he isn't a required player anymore. Or where Everitt has insisted that he wants to leave, he hasn't.

It's like us coming forward and saying 'We will trade such & such for Franklin', while we might put an offer forward for him, it doesn't mean he isn't a required player for the club or that he wants to leave. Look at Burgoyne for Port, he has actually publicly stated he wants to leave.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 04:04 PM
It's like us coming forward and saying 'We will trade such & such for Franklin', while we might put an offer forward for him, it doesn't mean he isn't a required player for the club or that he wants to leave. Look at Burgoyne for Port, he has actually publicly stated he wants to leave.

Yeah I understand im sure the club will make a comment next week or prior to trade week about him being a required player or not. I wanna see more of him that we saw vs Collingwood, up the bloody ground. He should be worth keeping, give him that position and see what he can do with it..if it doesnt work out we could look at trading end of 2010, there would still be interest.

To assist in the cap, if they offered pick 27 and Cloke or Fisher and agreed to pay their salary for us next year, allowing us room to pay for Hall and perhaps someone else depending on retirements would you take it?

Im dont think their allowed to offer paying out a salary they are to trade :confused:

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah I understand im sure the club will make a comment next week or prior to trade week about him being a required player or not. I wanna see more of him that we saw vs Collingwood, up the bloody ground. He should be worth keeping, give him that position and see what he can do with it..if it doesnt work out we could look at trading end of 2010, there would still be interest.

I agree, don't want him to go anywhere.

You don't get many players of his size & talent, come around to often.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 04:06 PM
The club has to look at all players, particularly these:

Eagleton - possibly retire
Welsh - retire
Aker - possibly retire
Wight - retire
Skipper - possibly retire
Johnson - retire
O'Shea - try to trade
Minson - replace him next year with a junior if possible
Addison - just not good enough, consider a trade
Callan - ditto for Addison
Cross - Trade if anybody wants him for anything you can get.

Retiring or trading too many players in one go may be too upsetting. I think 5 of these players will have to go.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I can see why Everitt is upset. Played well in round 22 and didn't deserve to be dropped. He was very unlucky not to play finals, hopefully the club can mend the relationship because Everitt could become a very good play. He is 193cm and good players of his size do not grow on trees.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 05:10 PM
The club has to look at all players, particularly these:

Eagleton - possibly retire
Welsh - retire
Aker - possibly retire
Wight - retire
Skipper - possibly retire
Johnson - retire
O'Shea - try to trade
Minson - replace him next year with a junior if possibleAddison - just not good enough, consider a trade
Callan - ditto for Addison
Cross - Trade if anybody wants him for anything you can get.

Retiring or trading too many players in one go may be too upsetting. I think 5 of these players will have to go.

Dont agree with some of these...

Why dont we just trade Cooney and Griff for second round picks while we are at it? :eek:

When a team is up, all of the players look good, lets use Sharron Ray as an example (except for last night).........

there is lots of improvement in Minson, who needs to hold a few marks, Callan + Addision needs to improve his disposal, Cross is one of the members of the leadership team, our current Charlie Sutton medalist, and an inspiration with his fanatical approach to the game, Aker was burnt out by finals time, and needed to balance his training load, Johno hopefully can maintain his 08 performance....

Lets no get carried away, we were 7 points away from a grand final, we have a youngish list for the most part with plenty of upside, and just need to tinker around the edges...

Topdog
19-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I think Minson will have his best year if we get Hall in next year. He is a very good ruckman IMO and is more than useful around the grounds. Just can't play forward.

Topdog
19-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I can see why Everitt is upset. Played well in round 22 and didn't deserve to be dropped. He was very unlucky not to play finals, hopefully the club can mend the relationship because Everitt could become a very good play. He is 193cm and good players of his size do not grow on trees.

He also didn't deserve to play in round 22.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Nobody even knows if there is a rift, it is pure speculation.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Nobody even knows if there is a rift, it is pure speculation.

I'm glad Everitt made these comments

I'm glad he and O'Keefe speak their minds

I just hope both of them are mature enough to see the forest for the trees

They both need to follow someone like Boyd ie work their way up from the bottom, train hard, be great team players, and become super agressive on the field, and fanatical about the Doggies and their football.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm glad Everitt made these comments

I'm glad he and O'Keefe speak their minds

I just hope both of them are mature enough to see the forest for the trees

They both need to follow someone like Boyd ie work their way up from the bottom, train hard, be great team players, and become super agressive on the field, and fanatical about the Doggies and their football.

What comments?

boydogs
19-09-2009, 06:04 PM
I was disappointed with Tim Callan last night, every time he had the ball, I didn't feel it was in safe hands. His turnover, i think in the last quarter (or second) that went straight to a Saints player and they kicked the goal, was disgraceful. I think he is too slow, and his disposal is not good enough for AFL.

That was a howler but I can't recall any other errors, but can recall several important intercepts that he made to stop the Saints scoring. He does need to work on his kicking in the off-season though

anfo27
19-09-2009, 06:15 PM
That was a howler but I can't recall any other errors, but can recall several important intercepts that he made to stop the Saints scoring. He does need to work on his kicking in the off-season though

I remember too many fumbles from Timmy, disappointed in his use of the footy.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I remember too many fumbles from Timmy, disappointed in his use of the footy.
Needs to be better than last night. Courage and attack is one thing, finesse is another thing.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Young player gets upset and swears when not selected...

Wait - stop the presses!

But to potentially request a trade after the faith the club has put into him because he wasnt selected is bull. He was given the number 3 for christs sake.

ledge
20-09-2009, 11:27 AM
According to what ive read its the Western bulldogs who have named him as a possible trade not Everitt saying a word.