PDA

View Full Version : Welsh & Eagleton

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Should they, and will they, have a future contract for 2010? Simple.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2009, 01:27 AM
No.

Absolutely not!

Mantis
No..

comrade
No. Both have given us good service but it us now time to invest in some younger guys in the hope they can assist in taking us that next step further.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 01:28 AM
I've been in favour of both at numerous stages... but think it might be time to make the call.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I think both could go on and play another year, however I think it is in the best interest of the club going forward to let them go.
It's a given every club needs to find a way to improve their list year in year out. If you don't you get overtaken. And therefore tough decisions have to be made.

If we are to avoid stagnation, and to give our younger players a chance to improve our list into the future then Welsh and Eagleton as a starting point must be let go.

I'm not sure on Aker.. that is going to be a tougher decision to make.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I like Welsh, despite many others disliking him. But no, I think it is time for a younger player to be taking his spot. I wouldnt mind if he did play on another year, though.

I don't like Eagleton much. I appreciate it when he puts in an effort, but seriously, he frustrates me. A lot. It's probably bad for my health and likely anger problems (stemming from him). Like I said about Welsh, a kid could take his spot and improve.

Sure, there's qualities about each player we'll need and miss next year, such as Welsh's ability to play forward or back and defensive pressure, and Eagletons left foot, buta lot of the time, these just aren't up to scratch and it's almost as though we may as well be training up a kid. Which we need to start and keep doing.

I don't want them to be offered contracts, as i'd hate to see them play on next year to just sit in the VFL for the majority of the year, like Matty Robbins did. It makes me feel sorry for them, and it's no way to finish your career. So no, but thanks for everything, guys.

mighty_west
19-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Welsh gone, Eagleton borderline and Aker, he used to thrive in finals, is his time up?

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 01:38 AM
I really like Welsh and Eagle but I doubt either of them will survive our minor list-trimming

Mantis
19-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Welsh gone, Eagleton borderline and Aker, he used to thrive in finals, is his time up?

Aker just couldn't run tonight, if we get back to the same position next year when he is 12 months older will he have any more run in his legs... I doubt it.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Aker just couldn't run tonight, if we get back to the same position next year when he is 12 months older will he have any more run in his legs... I doubt it.
So the question needs to be asked, will we get $300,000 value out of him in 2010?

mighty_west
19-09-2009, 01:41 AM

It would not suprise me what so ever if he announced his retirement, thats not me wanting him to finish, just a brilliant player to have been able to cheer for, but yeah, just get a feeling.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 01:42 AM
So the question needs to be asked, will we get $300,000 value out of him in 2010?

He will probably help us win a couple of games during the year, but when push comes to shove in September his body just doesn't allow him to do the things we need him too.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 01:46 AM

At the start of the season the plan was to give Akermanis and Johnson spells during the season to keep them fresh etc. Good older player management I would have thought.
That however, never really eventuated and whilst Akermanis was flat tonight he was pretty good throughout the season. If he was to go on in 2010 we would need to manage him in a way that keeps him productive at the business end of the season.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:46 AM
He will probably help us win a couple of games during the year, but when push comes to shove in September his body just doesn't allow him to do the things we need him too.
With that assessment i say the salary can best be spent elsewhere.

Sedat
19-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Nobody loves Aker as much as I do, but we drafted him specifically for his experience and brilliance in such games. We desperately needed that brilliance tonight.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Welsh's inability to do anything tonight wasn't ideal.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Welsh's inability to do anything tonight wasn't ideal.

I suppose if Williams had have played and the results ended up the same we would be ruing the fact that we changed a winning side.
I would have like Williams in the side tonight though.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 01:59 AM
I suppose if Williams had have played and the results ended up the same we would be ruing the fact that we changed a winning side.
Yeh, it's very easy to shoulda, coulda, woulda. I'm just frustrated by his inability to have a presence in these big games as opposed to being a hindsight champion.

Jasper
19-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Welsh to go, personally would have liked to see Everitt in tonight for Welsh. Eagle stays unless we can recruit a gut running long kicking player, the game changing to zones makes Eagle more valuable...

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 02:25 AM
they're done, surely. thanks for the memories but it's time.

G-Mo77
19-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Eagle's spot on the veteren's list next year may keep him at the club. I'm pretty sure Welsh will be gone though.

chef
19-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Welsh, Eagleton and Akermanis should retire. We need to free up some spots for our younger players coming through, as well as make some salary cap space for Lakes contract and to get Hall to our club. Apart from that i think they are finished anyway.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Welsh
Gone. Just tooooo slow. We need a FF, not a loose man in defence. Played a great 2008, thanks for the memories.
There are guys like Everitt, Grant and possibly Hall who will play the FF spot far better than Scotty.

Aker
Would like him to stay, He has won several games for us on his own boot this year...he did play every game this season, and I think was just tired by last night...we need to manage his workload and Johno's...not saying a passenger, but manage where he plays and not run him into the ground

Eagle
I realise the need for a gut running wingman, who can carry the ball and kick long...the guy will be 31 or 32 next year?
Who do we have waiting to take his spot...Ward will improve his run and carry, Wood possibly, O'Keefee doesnt have the endurance, Reid is more of an inside player, Addison doesnt have the endurance...

Wight...gone

Skipper...I think with Roughead emerging as a ruck back up there may be no point keeping Skip...beyong Roughead we dont have much ruck back up...so I think replacing him with a taller, mature ruckman (21 + year old) would be prudent....gone

Lynch...gone

Johhno....interested in peoples thoughts about him keeping the captaincy...I would prefer that Johhno had to focus on his own performances in 2010, and possibly passed on the baton to Boyd...Johno will still be an inspirational leader, and the spiritual leader, but would officially have the burden of captaincy released

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 08:45 AM
No. Both have given us good service but it us now time to invest in some younger guys in the hope they can assist in taking us that next step further.

My thoughts exactly.

Got to get some fresh blood in the team.

GVGjr
19-09-2009, 08:56 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Got to get some fresh blood in the team.

I'm definitely not against losing both Welsh and Eagleton but we did introduce a lot of youngsters into the side during the season and did a good job of freshening up the side.
With a bit more form plus being injury free the likes Stack, Reid, Tiller and Everitt will command their spots in the senior side.

azabob
19-09-2009, 09:57 AM

I know Tiller was injured round 17ish, did he just not get enough games into his legs?
I would've prefered Tiller to play last night than Williams or Welsh.

Therefore I think Welsh should retire and we let Tiller, Everitt, Williams and Bouman fight it out for his spot. Unless of course Hall comes along.

The Pie Man
19-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Read the player ratings on the AFL website - here's Welsh's

Scott Welsh – 1
Could have attributed his quiet evening to reported groin troubles. Failed to get into the game after a one-touch first quarter and added nothing to the scoreboard

Why did he play if that was an issue? If Hall comes on board, he's in trouble.

Eagleton's like a riddle for me - what I really like is that he just keeps running to space, but his decision making let him down at times last night. I'd keep him on

I kept wishing Aker would play a bit deeper last night, he was effective at times against Geelong in this area.

I know Johnson isn't a topic on this thread, but will say he's a no brainer to play on.

Desipura
19-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Totally agree. Williams should have played ahead of Welsh even if it was for 10 minute spells. What is more frustration is to read that Welsh had been carrying a groin injury for some weeks now.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Totally agree. Williams should have played ahead of Welsh even if it was for 10 minute spells. What is more frustration is to read that Welsh had been carrying a groin injury for some weeks now.
And it's not like the average punter knows he is useless at AFL level unless is 100% fit...

SonofScray
19-09-2009, 11:20 AM
We need move some of these guys on, purely to get god quality games into our quality young players. We'll never fill that void in the team if we don't push the tall young guys in and keep blooding players.

I think they've all been great for our club in their time here. Massive respect for Aker and Eagle in particular - one of them might be worth keeping on. Welsh was good value but we need to get someone in that will be there over the next 3-5 years at least. I certain an Everitt or someone could have had as much of an impact tonight.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry, we need to make some room, thanks to both for their contribution, particularly Nathan. Congrats on fine careers.

Mofra
19-09-2009, 06:28 PM
If you take out Welsh, Eagleton, possibly Aker, you have about an 80-goal hole to fill to ensure we go top 4 again.
50 Goals from Hall?

2 players would be needing to 15 goals each - easy.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Eagle: Every time I want this guys blood he'll come out the next week and kicks a bag of rippers. But it's getting few and far between. Last night was the straw when I once again saw him deliver a hand pass then fail to shepard the opposition. He's turning into a spectator when he doesn't have the ball.

Welsh: A little lost in the last half of the year, but I think he has something that the team can work with for one more year. Especially if a Hall / Lloyd comes to the club, Welsh would have that little more inexperienced defender on him??????

westbulldog
19-09-2009, 09:43 PM
In my view Welsh has done nothing in the 2008 and 2009 finals series and his continual selection late in this season was an abject mistake. His stats and game winning abilities are nowhere near those of Aker. Eagleton had a very good season and everyone is entitled to a downer occasionally.

macca
20-09-2009, 12:19 AM
In my view Welsh has done nothing in the 2008 and 2009 finals series and his continual selection late in this season was an abject mistake. His stats and game winning abilities are nowhere near those of Aker. Eagleton had a very good season and everyone is entitled to a downer occasionally.

Eagleton is a gut running outside, long kicking wingman. He kicked 3 goals against the Lions, and played a decent game against Collingwood. If he could deliver to a tall marking fwd, who can knows how to bring the ball down to our crumbers, then he is worth keeping. Who else do we have in the wings to replace his ability ? Gilbee looks like being groomed for this role, but I don't think he has the enginer.

Maybe Eade shold have dropped him a couple of times this year, to blood youngster, and give Eagleton a message.

Welsh is gone. Too slow. Adds very little in the backline, and did not kick enough goals this year. Come finals he just does not give us anything.

I really think Aker should have been rested in a few games this year to keep him fresh.

Lynch- 2 years, and not one game. Can't cut it then get rid of him.

What do we do with Tiller, Addison, and Callan? Are they contesting the one position on our team? Tiller has been tried fwd, and back. He leads well, and I have seen in games team mates not honoring his lead.

Someone, please, please Teach Minson to mark, and bring the ball down space in favour of our crumbers.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Both Welsh and Fumbleton to go .. lets us down against the good sides time after time... can't win a flag with these guys

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 11:57 AM
If you're either of these boys, and please be sensible, would you go into Tuesday's season de-breifs asking for another year or tell the playing group today you retire over Mad Sunday drinks?

comrade
20-09-2009, 12:36 PM
If you're either of these boys, and please be sensible, would you go into Tuesday's season de-breifs asking for another year or tell the playing group today you retire over Mad Sunday drinks?

I think Welsh might know it's time.

I've got a feeling that Eagleton will ask for another year and put the onus back on the list management crew to make the hard (but correct) decision to move him on.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I think Welsh might know it's time.

I've got a feeling that Eagleton will ask for another year and put the onus back on the list management crew to make the hard (but correct) decision to move him on.
Same here, because i think Eagle is entitled to at least ask the question for his service and Welsh can go out on a two-day bender! I just hope if Eagle gets the 'no', the club can allow him to leave with the appearance of a graceful retirement.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Welsh to go gracefully into retirement running a pub in Williamstown.

Eagle only stays on a heavily reduced, performance-based contract. Otherwise, thanks for your long-standing services, please collect your gold watch at reception. We've lined up a gig for you as 'Sneezy' in the new Disney remake of Snow White.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I would thank Scott Welsh for his services since he has been with the Club and delist him.
I would keep Nathan Eagleton on a reduced payment 1 year contract. He has had a good year overall.

strebla
22-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I have something nagging me that says (I can't believe I am saying this) Ego gets a one year deal performance based. Welsh must go A handy pickup but the game has passed him by thanks Scott for your contribution.

bulldogsman
22-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I would retire both, I think it's time we blood a few more kids. I'm not the biggest fan of Eagle, but I'd like to see him get a go at another club. Has been a fantastic servant and I am sorry for bagging you so much Nathan.