PDA

View Full Version : Our opponents next week: Melbourne

Dry Rot
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Anyone watch Dees vs Port?

Sounds like the Demons played well and will not be an easy game next week.

Bulldog Revolution
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Anyone watch Dees vs Port?

Sounds like the Demons played well and will not be an easy game next week.

saw a bit of the second half on the box,

melbourne will be looking to break through this week against what I suspect many in AFL circles consider a suspect side (us)

If we play with intensity they will not get close, we have too much class all over the ground for them

Go_Dogs
07-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Neitz back obviously helps there structure a bit. Their younger guys are starting to show a bit too. Dunn, Bate etc. Not having McLean or Robertson helps us a lot. They'll be very keen to win, and won't be an easy game at all. We'll have to play at about 90% or better to win I think, and we haven't really reached those sort of heights too often this season.

If Murphy is out that hurts too, as he has a good history against the Dee's.

bornadog
07-05-2007, 09:29 AM
We need to win this one and win really well. I am glad its back at the Dome as we play the ground well as Melbourne plays the G well. Melbourne are desperate for a win so we really have to up the intensity and win the hard balls. We must bring in Hahn and start getting him back in form for the second half, also abit of toughness. Maybe we should also bring in Faulkner.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I really hope Faulkner plays this week.

BulldogBelle
07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Melbourne are desperate for a win so we really have to up the intensity and win the hard balls.

Melbourne will be looking for their first win this week, very important we stay focused and get of to a great start in the first quarter to set the tone of things, I won't be taking this game lightly it will be game on.

Dry Rot
08-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Demons injury list suggests that they are closer to full strength (minus Robbo)

GVGjr
08-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Demons injury list suggests that they are closer to full strength (minus Robbo)

A number of players on the 'Test' list would indicate that a few of them might be underdone. Controlling Neitz is vital for us. As much as I'd like to see Harris moved into the forward line it looks like we need him as a defender.

bornadog
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
A number of players on the 'Test' list would indicate that a few of them might be underdone. Controlling Neitz is vital for us. As much as I'd like to see Harris moved into the forward line it looks like we need him as a defender.

Harris is at the peak of his form and doing well, but we need to stop their midfield delivery to Neitz. I am abit worried about this game even thou they have lost 6.

Dry Rot
08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Harris is at the peak of his form and doing well, but we need to stop their midfield delivery to Neitz. I am abit worried about this game even thou they have lost 6.

Yes, they are a much better team than 0-6 suggests.

If McLean plays, he could cause us headaches - who would play on him?

The Dog
08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
If we don't smash Melbourne this week, I will be very disappointed!! We virtually have a full list to choose from and we are playing a rabble. If we do not show some authority and do what we are expected to do, we are a joke!

I already suspect we will not have the sort of year most expected due to our rubbish ruck stocks and second rate clearance work. Our contested footy is the worst in the competion and it's what wins premierships so, Im not sure how that is fixed??

It's these sorts of games that has defined our culture over the century, the ones we are expected to win. In the past when the footy world has taken notice and put the sword to us and said, "alright, you want us to jump on, prove it this week", we fail more times than not. This month poses some very winable games, so lets see, shall we.

None of this rubbish about the dees being competitive and hard to beat, what bollocks. They are 0-6 and we are fighting for top 4, simple equation WE MUST WIN COMPREHENSIVELY!!

We need to get alot better and fast if we are a chance to live up to the hype, otherwise it's fighting for 8th spot again.

Dry Rot
08-05-2007, 02:45 PM
If we don't smash Melbourne this week, I will be very disappointed!! We virtually have a full list to choose from and we are playing a rabble. If we do not show some authority and do what we are expected to do, we are a joke!

Welcome The Dog.

You don't thinl last week's Demon's is a little better than a 0-6 rabble?

I would expect to us to win, but I would also exect the demons to put up a good show.

dog town
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Melbourne dont actually have that many out anymore so this week will be much tougher than most expect. Basically match them for intensity and desire or get ready for a week of media scrutiny because we will go down unless we can match them in that area.

The dees generally enjoy playing against us because we give them time and space on the rebound which they thrive on. Under Daniher they have always tried to use the corridor as much as possible and once they get the ball into the corridor they run in waves off half back and deliver. In lots of ways it is a pretty simple style of game but when they are up and running they can be unstoppable as they run forward almost as hard as us. The fact that they are missing a couple of players takes away from the danger they pose but they have now got back 4 or 5 who make them more than competitive.

Interesting to see what they do with Bruce. Has a fairly good record on Brad Johnson but from memory didn't play on him last time. I expect Johnson to play deeper this week given the absence of Murphy and I am not sure the dees would want to waste Bruce on Johnson. Did Carrol play on Johnson last time?

You would think Harris would get Neitz but dont be surprised if Eade plays someone who can go with Neitz on the lead and allows Harris to play that loose sort of role he has been playing. Morris will probably get Davey with Hargrave to take Miller. Wight could take the resting ruckmen or even take Miller allowing Hargrave to play on Bate or Dunne. Power may even be required down back as they have quite a few medium types.

Every chance that Godfrey will go to West or Cooney for them.

My tip for this week is that Guido will return to his very best. Has been building (very slowly) and I think last week should give him a confidence boost and with Murphy out he will have a bigger role to play.

firstdogonthemoon
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I think this is a real danger game for us. The ds have had the better of us over the last few years and they are clearly hungry and close.

I am delighted it is at the dome and not the g - I am tipping us but with no great confidence.

I do get a sense though that we are building momentum, building to something special, however we still have to get the job done.

I am planning to enjoy the game - as previously mentioned, it wont be pretty with the supporters or the media if we manage to lose this one. And this is ours to lose rather than theirs to win.

There are no "good" reasons why we should give up this one.

Mantis
10-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I think this is a real danger game for us. The ds have had the better of us over the last few years and they are clearly hungry and close.

I am delighted it is at the dome and not the g - I am tipping us but with no great confidence.

I do get a sense though that we are building momentum, building to something special, however we still have to get the job done.

I am planning to enjoy the game - as previously mentioned, it wont be pretty with the supporters or the media if we manage to lose this one. And this is ours to lose rather than theirs to win.

There are no "good" reasons why we should give up this one.

They have a very good record against us at the G, but not at TD. Melbourne have a shocking record at the Dome.

We should win and win comfortably...

GVGjr
10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
They have a very good record against us at the G, but not at TD. Melbourne have a shocking record at the Dome.

We should win and win comfortably...

I really want to see us win by 40 points plus so I hope you are right

Go_Dogs
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
As far as who would play on McLean DR, I would like to see Cooney or Ray go head to head with him, if he plays. Someone from the same draft. Put a bit of their pride on the line, and make one of them win the battle.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Controlling Neitz is vital for us.

Those six words you wrote are very important. Neitz has a habit of kicking bags of goals against us and we must get to him early and erode his confidence otherwise he could just run himself into form against us. Their winless state at the moment means little, they are due for a win - we just have to play smarter.

southerncross
11-05-2007, 05:34 AM
This from the Age (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchpreview/western-bulldogs-v-melbourne/2007/05/10/1178390472562.html)

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne, Telstra Dome, 2:10pm

Western Bulldogs
B: McMahon Harris Morris
HB: Gilbee Wight Hargrave
C: Eagleton West Griffen
HF: Giansiracusa Johnson Boyd
F: Hahn Darcy Akermanis
FOLL: Street Cross Rover: Cooney
INTER: From: Addison Faulkner Harbrow Higgins Minson Power Ray
IN: Faulkner Harbrow Hahn Street
OUT: Murphy (hamstring)
Melbourne
B: Ward Carroll Yze
HB: Brown Rivers Bell
C: Bate McDonald Davey
HF: Green Miller Bruce
FOR: Sylvia Neitz Moloney
FOLL: White Godfrey Rover: Johnstone
INTER: From: P Johnson Jones Dunn Warnock Holland Frawley Pickett
IN: Green Ward Frawley Holland
OUT: Petterd (hamstring)
NEW: James Frawley, 18, North Ballarat U18

LAST TIME R17 Melbourne 18.11 (119) d Western Bulldogs 9.14 (68), MCG
AT THIS GROUND Western Bulldogs 3, Melbourne 5
IN THE 2000s Western Bulldogs 4, Melbourne 9
COACHES Eade 5, Daniher 8
UMPIRES 11 McLaren, 12 Sully, 16 Head
BETTING Western Bulldogs $1.36, Melbourne $3.00
TV Channel 7, 3pm
RADIO Triple M, 3AW
Summary Melbourne can be both heartened and disappointed by last week's five-point loss to Port Adelaide. On the one hand the chance for a first win was let slip, but on the other there were signs that the unlucky Demons are on the road to recovery. With the heart torn out of their team by injuries earlier in the season, Melbourne are at least expecting to be able to welcome back on-baller Brad Green. Skipper David Neitz will have a match under his belt since his return from injury while Adem Yze seems to have been revitalised in attack. Key The Bulldogs could easily slip away from the centre bounces if allowed through midfielders like Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd who blanketed Kerr in last week's 15-point loss to the Eagles.

Raw Toast
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Darcy should be v important for us this week imo. He didn't do much last week but wasn't given a heap of opportunitiy either (seems Eade believes the Eagles are vulnerable to a small forward line, though I would have liked to see him given a run at chf to give us a different look and option going forward).

Carroll's been struggling this year and I think Darcy might do him for smarts. Apparently Carroll was good on Tredrea but Darcy's a v different player and if we can deliver the ball to advantage we could get a significant win here. Another option for the Dees is Rivers on Darcy but that exposes Carroll a bit. Our delivery might determine the result here, as Rivers can be effective if allowed to sag off and then jump in with a spoil. Against either, the long kick almost over the pack should suit Darcy, as he can outbody from behind. If there's space (ie not much flooding) I'd like to also see kicks to Darcy that allows him to run at the ball (ala against Adelaide 05).

Dunn is a bit of a danger player I reckon and needs to be played with respect otherwise he could hurt us. Power has beaten Miller before, though Wight seems a decent match up on him as well.

I'm glad McLean's not playing.

GVGjr
11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Darcy should be v important for us this week imo. He didn't do much last week but wasn't given a heap of opportunity either (seems Eade believes the Eagles are vulnerable to a small forward line, though I would have liked to see him given a run at chf to give us a different look and option going forward).

We really need Darcy to string a couple of good weeks together because he is just so important to us. Does anyone think he should be used more in the ruck than up forward?

LostDoggy
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Does anyone think he should be used more in the ruck than up forward?

Nah, I reckon he should spend the time adapting to a forward role, once it all starts to happen for him in the forward line it will be great. His rucking duties should be very minimal.

Dry Rot
12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
We really need Darcy to string a couple of good weeks together because he is just so important to us. Does anyone think he should be used more in the ruck than up forward?

Interesting thought - how will we counter White?

Raw Toast
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Probably depends on match-ups and fitness for me, but generally I'd have him forward. Not sure if he has the fitness yet to be able to be our first ruck though I was disappointed he didn't get more of a go in the middle against West Coast (though hard to tell from the tv how much game-time he got).

I think an in-form Darcy offers us more as a forward just because it helps our structure with him being our only real big contested mark atm. That said he's a better ruck than Minson and Street atm because he can get clearences of his own and offers more around the ground.