PDA

View Full Version : So Proud. So Gutted.

jazzadogs
19-09-2009, 02:26 AM
The efforts of the boys in Red White and Blue tonight was at a level I'm not sure I've ever seen before.

Not the skills. Not the talent. Not the kicking for goal.

The courage, the determination, the perseverance, the HEART. They didn't give up, against a side which we were not expected to compete with for four quarters, let alone dominate everywhere but the scoreboard.

Hearing Dale Morris on SEN post-match, a quiver in his voice as he fought back tears, tells me these boys aren't done with. They will not accept this. Next year they will come back, next year they will get to this night and next year they will not let it slip.

I've never felt like this before, and it finished over 2hours ago. As a reasonably young guy, I've had it easier than most of you, but this is just shattering. Gutting.

But Doggies...we still love you, we are proud of you, and we still believe in you.

Doggie Doggie Doggie, Woof Woof Woof.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Can't agree more. The guys beat the saints hands down in all departments......just found themselves behind when the final siren went. Kicking for goal was ordinart by both teams..they just seemed to get lucky. I hope that this one really hurts the boys, because it should, but unlike 1997, they should watch it. they should feel it and realise just how close they were to a GF and what is required to get there next year. These guys have unfinished business, mark my words they really do!

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I find it very hard to be proud(or anymore proud than I was last week, last year, last 10 years). I expected us to throw everything at them. Its a final.
I would have been prouder had we won.
In the end we failed again, absolutely gutted but not proud.

Jasper
19-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Went to the game.

Extremely proud of the team. They didn't choke (unlike 97). They played their guts out, if luck could have gone our way, who knows, but frankly teams make their own luck, and teams with big KP fwds make more luck than others.

I think we just about got the maximum out of our current players, and that is all you can ask. There are players with limitations (Griffin can't kick, Eagle can't handle heat, Minson can't mark overhead) but we know their limitations, and gee they played hard. Good on them, I can say I have never been prouder of our team. And that is not accepting mediocrity, its just reality that we weren't quite good enough on the night.

Hopefully the team can use this experience to help them get better, the self doubt that has plagued our team should be gone. I don't think there is any real question we are good enough, other clubs supporters think we are (see big footy).

The challenge will be to get better next year in comp that has Essendon, Adelaide, West Coast, Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn improving, the Saints and Geelong trying to maintain.

But we are good enough.

Some wise list management and player development should see us threaten for a premiership over the next few years.

Well done to the players.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I think we just about got the maximum out of our current players, and that is all you can ask.

When a number of players were non-contributors, I find that very hard to believe.

Again I'm a proud bulldog fan but I find it hard understand why last night would make anyone prouder. There is no doubt we played well but we failed and I'd rather win ugly anyday.

The Pie Man
19-09-2009, 10:07 AM
When a number of players were non-contributors, I find that very hard to believe.

Again I'm a proud bulldog fan but I find it hard understand why last night would make anyone prouder. There is no doubt we played well but we failed and I'd rather win ugly anyday.

Do you take any solace in witnessing one of the classic prelims?

I'm asking myself this question, haven't answered it yet.

The term 'classic' maybe up for debate, but I'm pretty comfortable with it.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you take any solace in witnessing one of the classic prelims?

I'm asking myself this question, haven't answered it yet.

The term 'classic' maybe up for debate, but I'm pretty comfortable with it.

To me none at all. I support the bulldogs not the game.

Lose by 1, 7 or 100 is all the same loss to me. Take an ugly win everytime.

The Pie Man
19-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Yep, fair enough

BulldogBelle
19-09-2009, 10:52 AM
So many mixed emotions. I have really raw eyes right now, not the best thing in the world going to some kids birthday.

SonofScray
19-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't feel any extra pride. But I am shattered. This was the moment and we failed, again. Not through a lack of trying, or ability, just because that is what is destined to happen to us. We could be up at the final siren and something would happen that'd see us out of a GF. A pipe bomb at training, a goal after the siren AND a free kick for a shove off the contest all after the game, Ian Collins would have the decision over turned, the scoreboard wouldn't match the umpires card. Something.

I love the Dogs and last night was another opportunity, they played with TENACITY and did the things that make us love them. But they didn't win. And that is all we really want.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Agree with the OP.

Very proud of the boys who gave absolutely everything and fell just short. We shouldn't be content, but with a strong pre-season, some further development from our younger brigade and a few slight tinkers, we can become the competition benchmark.

It's disappointing to go so close when we had such a great opportunity, but we need to turn that disappointment into determination.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm so proud that they came with an attitude of fearless battle.
We played great in the conjestion of play, especially Griffin

But i'm absolutly gutted.
To get so close, yet so far.
I was even contimplating giving away the Grand Final Ticket i won...

strebla
20-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Okay we had a crack we were screwed my the martians and we have no big marking forward.I don't give a stuff I am and will always be proud to be a bulldog but FFS i am sick and bloody tired of being pissed off all grand final week!!!!

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 02:27 PM
We had the intensity of a grand final winning side. I had a few question marks over the teams capacity to get fired up enough for big finals football and I think last night showed the team has the mental capacity to win a grand final.

DOG GOD
20-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Its not every day u get to a Pre-lim with the ability to WIN it...I still see it as a lost cause, even though i know the team gave their all for 4 qtrs....It doesnt help the hurt though, and on saturday when i'm watching the saints and cats running out on the G, I'll be thinking "IF ONLY".

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Have taken until today to have a look at the WOOF forum. I too, was shattered and took yesterday to lick my wounds and have a day of mourning. But I am also proud, so proud that right from the first bounce, the boys were there to play, putting their bodies on the line. Showing tremendous courage, and I believe, the best side on the night - we just couldn't put scoreboard pressure on them. We all know there were a few questionable umpiring decisions, and whilst I'm not blaming them, some do in the heat of battle, turn a game around.

Leaving the ground on Friday night I was in shock almost. I was numb, yesterday I felt it more. Today, whilst still gutted, I realise just how much I love my team. I know we keep saying it, but we improved from last year, and now, I wait for next year! Bring it on!

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 03:03 PM
We failed. Simple as that. Too many blokes with below par performances. Some guys played extremely well, some didn't cope. How the playing group responds to such a gut-wrenching loss next year will be interesting.

Gutted.

1eyedog
20-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Very proud of the players from my football team. Very inconsolable about the final result.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Not good enough. We were the better team BY FAR on the night, yet failed to win another prelim. Guys missed the open shots -- Griff two in the first quarter, Gia in the last two minutes to win the game.

I'm proud of the effort, but bloody pissed at the lack of composure and belief that they were FAR better than the Saints. No doubt, we should have pummeled them, but we were so scared we were happy to be one, two points ahead when we should have been five, six goals up.

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 10:55 PM

I can't believe you've really thought about this. We'd all take an ugly win but that's not the issue; are you saying it makes no difference to you whether we give a good account of ourselves or just show no fight? Give me the fight any day because it's essential to success, just turning up is not.

I'm gutted too, but I'm not blind to the enormous effort they put in, nor am I blind to the fact that the players will be hurting even more and have earned our support and our respect .. and no I'm not accepting mediocrity, there was no sign of that last Friday.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I can't believe you've really thought about this. We'd all take an ugly win but that's not the issue; are you saying it makes no difference to you whether we give a good account of ourselves or just show no fight? Give me the fight any day because it's essential to success, just turning up is not.

I'm gutted too, but I'm not blind to the enormous effort they put in, nor am I blind to the fact that the players will be hurting even more and have earned our support and our respect .. and no I'm not accepting mediocrity, there was no sign of that last Friday.

??? Thanks for waking up 3 days later.
My original statement was not sure how Friday's game made me any more proud being a bulldog fan. We played well, big deal since we lost.
I was then asked if I take any solace in it being a good game.
Do you have a problem?

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 11:20 PM
??? Thanks for waking up 3 days later.
My original statement was not sure how Friday's game made me any more proud being a bulldog fan. We played well, big deal since we lost.
I was then asked if I take any solace in it being a good game.
Do you have a problem?

Well Ernie I have stated before that I respect what you post so I was waiting for you to clarify the post I quoted not your earlier ones.

Are you seriously suggesting that you have no interest in us playing well?

Just repeating it doesn't make it more sensible IMHO.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Well Ernie I have stated before that I respect what you post so I was waiting for you to clarify the post I quoted not your earlier ones.

Are you seriously suggesting that you have no interest in us playing well?

Just repeating it doesn't make it anymore sensible IMHO.

Where did I write that and how did you come to that conclusion?

Again I'll state it for you, Friday's performance did not make me any prouder.

alwaysadog
22-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Lose by 1, 7 or 100 is all the same loss to me.

We played well, big deal since we lost.

????

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 08:51 AM
????

How does that say I have no interest in us playing well?

I wanted us to win, it doesn't matter how.

Think you are reading into it too much.

alwaysadog
23-09-2009, 02:13 AM
How does that say I have no interest in us playing well?

I wanted us to win, it doesn't matter how.

Think you are reading into it too much.

No perhaps you are not careful with your words.

If I was a black and white filth supporter I would have difficulty having any respect let alone pride with their 3rd and 4th quarter effort, while I don't know if my pride increased. I do know that it was not diminished and the reason is because we fought like hell the whole way, but that doesn't seem to matter to you a loss by 100 or 1 point is all the same.

Sorry Ernie, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 09:17 AM
No perhaps you are not careful with your words.

If I was a black and white filth supporter I would have difficulty having any respect let alone pride with their 3rd and 4th quarter effort, while I don't know if my pride increased. I do know that it was not diminished and the reason is because we fought like hell the whole way, but that doesn't seem to matter to you a loss by 100 or 1 point is all the same.

Sorry Ernie, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Well you are the only one that questioned it, 3 days later.
In order of priorities, winning to me and I believe most supporters is no.1. Whether we played well or not doesn't come close.

Sedat
23-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I've seen us lose 6 prelims since 1985 - by the length of the Flemington Straight the easiest ones to cope with have been 1992 and 1998, when in both matches we were hammered by a better team and raised the white flag well before the finish. The other 4 have been much, much harder to take because we were in all of them up to our eyeballs halfway through the last qtr. I know which group supporters out of the filth and the Dogs would currently be feeling less gutted.

strebla
23-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I've seen us lose 6 prelims since 1985 - by the length of the Flemington Straight the easiest ones to cope with have been 1992 and 1998, when in both matches we were hammered by a better team and raised the white flag well before the finish. The other 4 have been much, much harder to take because we were in all of them up to our eyeballs halfway through the last qtr. I know which group supporters out of the filth and the Dogs would currently be feeling less gutted.

I am sooooo thankfull I missed 97 but as much as i was gutted the last couple of years and iy is a lot harder to get over I would not want to be in the filths shoes as both 93 and 99 we went backwards big time! I think we all have a lot to look forward to not only next year but the next 4 or 5 years I may not get over friday untill we win the flag but at least I know we are in for a show next year.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 06:19 PM

I have to agree, I still have not gotten over 1997, luckily I missed Fridays game, so don't have one single memory of it, although I do feel the pain just by reading all the posts on WOOF. :(

alwaysadog
23-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Sorry ... but that's not my experience. Initially the close loss is worse, but it quickly fades if we have really had a crack. The haunting ones for me are the ones where we just aren't competitive. They are more troubling because they mean we are a long way off, possibly even pretenders. This years final series doesn't suggest that IMHO.