PDA

View Full Version : Everitt & Hill

Rocco Jones
19-09-2009, 11:44 AM
They are both talented players, far more talented than some players who made the 22 last night. That isn't an indictment on those members of the 22 of course but it well and truly is on Dre and Hill. If they have a decent attitude they would have been there last night, playing at the big stage with the clear and present chance of playing in the biggest one.

These two guys should be embarrassed by their output this year and if they are worth their salt, they will put in quality pre-seasons and ensure they are never legitimately behind someone like Callan for a spot in the side ever again.

Desipura
19-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Callan is a back pocket who plays on the opposition small forwards. Everitt is a half back flanker and Hill a half forward flanker, dont know how you can compare the 3. Callan played in the side for team balance as well as having a good few weeks in Williamstown.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think it's fair to speculate that if they had a better attitude they would have been playing last night. They are still both developing and have deficiencies in their games that they need to improve on.

Hill had a pretty good year, but needs to improve his contested work and tackling. Everitt had a disappointing year, but showed some good signs in his appearance at the end of the H&A.

As you say though, both should be aiming for big pre-seasons and playing a lot of senior footy next year. If I was on the verges, I'd be busting my ass to be apart of the team next year.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Very harsh on Hill Rocco... Almost unfair.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I would like to see Everitt at half forward with spells in the ruck..
Hill is also a half forward / winger I believe that is where he plays his best footy, with our forward line step he is always going to get a bigger bodied defender and gets pushed off the ball to easy.

These 2 boys just need to work on second and third efforts, and defensive side of their game. They need to back themselves in - their are both good enough to play at this level!

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Very harsh on Hill Rocco... Almost unfair.

If Hill had Callan's intensity he would have been in the side last night, so I think Rocco makes a good point.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 12:36 PM
If Hill had Callan's intensity he would have been in the side last night, so I think Rocco makes a good point.

I was referring to the point that Rocco made that Hill should be embarrassed by his output this year... I think that call is harsh.

Hill had a pretty good year and yes he needs to improve certain aspects of his game, but he certainly improved this year.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Bit hard to say they should be embarrassed. They should have a good understanding of why they were dropped/not selected this year, and if they want to make the extra step, they need to address those areas. Aker put it well when he blasted Hill, "Do you wanna be a B-grader? Don't be a B-grader!!!!"....

Callan plays different roles to the others, and has been somewhat unlucky in not seeing much time this year. I think he's good value.

Mofra
19-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I think Hill's omission could be the making of him. A hard pre-season could see him as the designated gut-runner where he will get plenty of the ball and take over as the Eagleton-type link player. He may not have the left-foot leg cannon of Eagle but his disposal is very good and he is infinately better than the Bald one overhead.

I can't see Everitt at the club next year. He is probably in the jack of all trades, master of none category. He doesn't play like a KPP and generally doesn't get enough of the ball to play wing - he doesn't have the bastard gene that other have. In that respect I think the comparison to Callan (attitude) in the OP was quite valid.

bornadog
19-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope these two are not sooks about missing playing in the finals. They are both 20 years old and have a huge upside. I think Hill has had a pretty good year, kicking 33 goals, and was unlucky not to be playing last night. Everitt needs to lift his intensity and he will be a good player.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Aker put it well when he blasted Hill, "Do you wanna be a B-grader? Don't be a B-grader!!!!"....

I've never heard this story, when was this?

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree with the general sentiment. Both need to take their finals demotions as a challenge to improve next year and start tapping into their potential.

What really shits me is that IMO, Gotch didn't play Dre enough in the forward half to see just how good he was. Now Carlton are sniffing and do we hold onto him hoping the Collingwood game wasnt a once off or try to see what we can get. I'm glad to hear the club has told Gotch not to come back.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 04:46 PM
With regard to the ruck, i still feel we need another viable ruck for next year. Can Everitt fill that role ala Brennan?

angelopetraglia
19-09-2009, 05:05 PM
A fit and in form firing Hill would have presented some options last night. He can jump and have a decent leap at a footy, something we definitely missed last night.

However whether he can stand up and deliver that at crucial times under enormous pressure is the big question.

boydogs
19-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I can't see Everitt at the club next year. He is probably in the jack of all trades, master of none category. He doesn't play like a KPP and generally doesn't get enough of the ball to play wing - he doesn't have the bastard gene that other have. In that respect I think the comparison to Callan (attitude) in the OP was quite valid.

Agree with everything you have said, at the moment. I think he could improve and become a master of a role or two if given a consistent go at it and become a very valuable utility. Attitudes can develop as players/people get older. If we do decide to move him on, how about Waite as a trade? Could be a good HBF to free Gilbee and avoid Murphy having to go back, go forward or play CHB as a back up for Williams

Mofra
19-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Agree with everything you have said, at the moment. I think he could improve and become a master of a role or two if given a consistent go at it and become a very valuable utility. Attitudes can develop as players/people get older. If we do decide to move him on, how about Waite as a trade? Could be a good HBF to free Gilbee and avoid Murphy having to go back, go forward or play CHB as a back up for Williams
Waite would be brilliant, but Carlton would want more than Everitt + our first rounder for him and I doubt we'd part with that.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I've never heard this story, when was this?

A month or so ago... can't recall the opposition (Freo, maybe?) At one point Hill, in his usual laconic fashion, dropped a sitter of a mark. After heading to the bench, Aker made a beeline for him, and tore him a new one, with the aforementioned "Don't be a B-grader!" blast. According to the radio commentary team, Murphy had to "console" Hill, such was the effect of Aker's choice words.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 07:15 PM
A month or so ago... can't recall the opposition (Freo, maybe?) At one point Hill, in his usual laconic fashion, dropped a sitter of a mark. After heading to the bench, Aker made a beeline for him, and tore him a new one, with the aforementioned "Don't be a B-grader!" blast. According to the radio commentary team, Murphy had to "console" Hill, such was the effect of Aker's choice words.

I dont mind that from Aker, shows how much it means to him and the impact he wants to have on the place.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I dont mind that from Aker, shows how much it means to him and the impact he wants to have on the place.

Agreed, and I said as much at the time. Hill needed to be told.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 11:25 PM
A fit and in form firing Hill would have presented some options last night. He can jump and have a decent leap at a footy, something we definitely missed last night.

However whether he can stand up and deliver that at crucial times under enormous pressure is the big question.

Last night was exactly the kind of game where Hill goes missing.

angelopetraglia
19-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Last night was exactly the kind of game where Hill goes missing.

Agree. But something that he has to improve if wants to stay on our list.